Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Bhodi posted:

I didn't find materials so scarce that I cared about drip feeding them; I was comfortable for 99% of my ebfs sitting with full input hatches and controlling production limits with ME level emitters pointed at the controllers.

This is the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Lordshmee posted:

This is the way.

Yeah I think so too. I am seeing how long it takes to make stuff from the original resources and I need keep a flow of things instead.

Is this worth doing with first generation (albeit tier 4) circuits? It seems particularly tedious but I've built everything starting off them and I think everything I have for them is sustainable.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I think so too. I am seeing how long it takes to make stuff from the original resources and I need keep a flow of things instead.

Is this worth doing with first generation (albeit tier 4) circuits? It seems particularly tedious but I've built everything starting off them and I think everything I have for them is sustainable.

I never automated circuits just because the boards are always a bit of a pain, but I think my next major project is to automate that.

Edit: sorry, I never set up *passive* production of circuits. I absolutely automated the gently caress out of them as soon as possible, but it's on-demand.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 27, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's always so easy to have a 2x2 set to accept a few stacks of whatever items that I keep dedicated machines for each and let it refill itself as they get used. Having to wait for things to refine/craft/whatever is just so boring and once you automate the circuits/processors it's a quick jump to automating everything.

Of course I'm also a lazy person who sets up a dump chest that automatically sorts most everything out into their nice, respective places :v:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 27, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You will forever need boards even when you upgrade to late-game SoC chips and since one board needs the previous "level" as a prerequisite, I kept ~500 boards in stock of each type (plastic, fiber reinforced, etc) by level emitters pointed at the individual machines. Even late game though I made circuits through autocrafting with a passive stack made with the storage bus <-> interface rather than a dedicated assembler per chip like I did the boards. It's a good balance between waiting for chips and wasting resources by passiving too many or spending a lot of time setting up dedicated lines.

Since you'll need massive amounts of the lower level chips a single dedicated assembler per chip won't really keep up so IMO the way to go is a processing array full of the highest assemblers you feel comfortable making with all your chip and SMD patterns in them to parallelize it.

You could probably get away with dedicated passive assemblers but IMO it's a waste of time to set up and not worth it until you unlock SoCs, and once you have those you have PAs so you may as well go that route instead since it's less work. Maybe passive assemblers for SMDs are fine since they're used often but again you need hundreds and hundreds of them for a single end-game mainframe so you'll either have to tear down and upgrade it at some point or just use your PA that you have to make anyway.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 27, 2021

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I greatly echo the sentiments of the last 2 posts. You go through so many circuits and their components and machine parts like motors and pistons and whatnot that I usually just take the “keep this drawer full” passive approach to all of it.

One thing I’ve not done in past runs and am really trying to plan for on my current base is parallelization. I’ve recently hit the HV threshold where it’s time to set up autocrafting and start getting serious about passive supply operations, and I think this is the time to plan for big parallel arrays for things like plates, rods, wires, etc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I do feel like a big problem with MC automation is that it can be a bit of a mental block envisioning massive interlinked machines all feeding together to build an end product. While this will eventually work for people who like to spreadsheet and map everything out for everyone else it can feel impossible, especially if it requires a ton of machines that make people feel like they have to have them all done before setting everything up. So to that I say: Embrace spaghetti and just automate basics whenever and wherever before sending pipes every which way to send it elsewhere instead of planning for bigger things in a centralized spot.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Yeah, my last run, it was a horrible mess of machines everywhere dumping to AE/storage drawers and machines pulling out what they needed and dumping back in to the network. I had originally not been automating a lot of stuff cause "oh I don't need that much right now" and I wanted to make nicer layouts. Then I said gently caress it and started slappin down machines where ever I had room and just produce stuff. Now that I have an idea of some of the intermediate steps, I'm trying harder to make a better set up for item lines. Also got some better tricks for how to feed some of the things and can therefore plan and set up better.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It seems to be an iterative process for everyone who plays Omnifactory that you start out semi-automating and learn the hard way that not automating as much as possible as early as possible creates problems and I'm just hitting that limit in early HV while I still haven't got a lot of ME done. I'm surprised how fast a LV clay loop is compared to an MV pulsating dust loop.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

It seems to be an iterative process for everyone who plays Omnifactory that you start out semi-automating and learn the hard way that not automating as much as possible as early as possible creates problems and I'm just hitting that limit in early HV while I still haven't got a lot of ME done. I'm surprised how fast a LV clay loop is compared to an MV pulsating dust loop.

part of it for me was that early on you hit more efficiency improvements pretty fast, which implies you should be leaping forward rather than automating every step. I think HV is a good time to stop and look around a bit because those drop off al ot in the MV/HV range.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
One issue I have with enthusiastic automation is not necessarily knowing where the individual quest steps are leading--especially with fluids. This tends to lead to a lot of chemical reactors doing a single step of many in a serial process; the stuff does not get used anywhere else.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

One issue I have with enthusiastic automation is not necessarily knowing where the individual quest steps are leading--especially with fluids. This tends to lead to a lot of chemical reactors doing a single step of many in a serial process; the stuff does not get used anywhere else.

Well unfortunately it's hard to work with fluids and re-using reactors, so no matter what it feels like you're going to have this situation.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Fluids were super annoying to deal with; I tried the "partition a single cell per fluid" but absolutely did not like that method. Caused me to way, way overproduce pretty much every fluid, causing the precursors to be in short supply (mostly chlorine). Next time, if there is a next time, I'm going to slap fluid storage busses on all my chem reactors and try that, relying on the single 64 bucket output to be my just-in-time fluid storage, and for fluids I know are needed in multiple places, my producers are going to output into a drum with a storage bus instead of into the me network. The distillation tower especially is going to output into individual drums with storage buses and a catch-all trash can at the end of the line instead of my 'digitize it and deal with it later' initial strat.

I spent so long meticulously making fluid filters on every single eio conduit exit and bunch of my fluid interfaces ended up filling up and stalling processes anyway. I also lost some valuable fluids to the low priority fluid storage bus that I used to try and "fix" my fluid interface problem; IMO dumping production directly into the me network and partitioning cells is a huge time waster and a mistake and I'm never doing it again. I tried the subnetworks and hated that too. Stupid fluids. Next time, it's going to be 1:1 fluid storage busses and fluid interfaces for every machine. It's more material intensive but faster to set up and I don't have to dig through jei trying to figure out if the fluid's used elsewhere.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 29, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

Fluids were super annoying to deal with; I tried the "partition a single cell per fluid" but absolutely did not like that method. Caused me to way, way overproduce pretty much every fluid, causing the precursors to be in short supply (mostly chlorine). Next time, if there is a next time, I'm going to slap fluid storage busses on all my chem reactors and try that, relying on the single 64 bucket output to be my just-in-time fluid storage, and for fluids I know are needed in multiple places, my producers are going to output into a drum with a storage bus instead of into the me network. I spent so long meticulously making fluid filters on every single eio conduit exit and bunch of my fluid interfaces ended up filling up and stalling processes anyway. I also lost some valuable fluids to the low priority fluid storage bus that I used to try and "fix" my fluid interface problem; IMO dumping production directly into the me network and partitioning cells is a huge time waster and a mistake and I'm never doing it again. I tried the subnetworks and hated that too. Stupid fluids. Next time, it's going to be 1:1 fluid storage busses and fluid interfaces for every machine.

Does Omnifactory have volumetric flasks? In GTNH, I don't use EC2 fluid handling at all (it's super buggy and laggy in 1.7.10 at least.) I just use volumetric flasks for everything related to fluid autocrafting.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't think so, but you need to move fluids around enough that there's kind of no avoiding digital fluids for convenience, it's not possible to hand-fill stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

I don't think so, but you need to move fluids around enough that there's kind of no avoiding digital fluids for convenience, it's not possible to hand-fill stuff.

Oh, I don't mean hand-filling stuff. I use volumetric flasks to portion out fluids to various autocrafting setups. You can configure the flask size with circuit-having assemblers and whatnot. I use fluid p2p for other tasks, like "just fill this input hatch all the drat time with oxygen" or whatever.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a sustainable source of chlorine in Omnifactory?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Any good post Aquatic Update modpacks with a focus on ocean exploration/living and taking advantage of swimming and many things being able to be waterlogged?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a sustainable source of chlorine in Omnifactory?

Small microverse mission gives salt ore which is a decent source. Tier one. You'll have to set up a rocket fuel production facility first but iirc it should be fully sustainable once the missions start.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 29, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hi I'm a big dumb idiot who does things the hard way.

Progress shots to keep me motivated:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 30, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Black Pants posted:

Hi I'm a big dumb idiot.

that's a gaping anus and drooping testicles right? I'm not the only who sees that?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

that's a gaping anus and drooping testicles right? I'm not the only who sees that?

Uhhhhhh.

The gently caress?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh wait it doesn't have a ring.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Uhhhhhh.

The gently caress?

This site will forever be haunted by the ghoastse.ck

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Boba Pearl posted:

Gross dude, no.

Its a drooping anus and gaping testicle

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rynoto posted:

Small microverse mission gives salt ore which is a decent source. Tier one. You'll have to set up a rocket fuel production facility first but iirc it should be fully sustainable once the missions start.

Do the microverse missions sustainable build on each other? I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be continually making a feeding them in or something.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do the microverse missions sustainable build on each other? I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be continually making a feeding them in or something.

As long as you have a fully sustained DML setup and other assorted infinite sources e.g. phytogenic isolators you should be able to self-sustain the missions once you start. It's a key source of materials.

Just note you'll have to automate the micro rockets too.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 30, 2021

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

anyone else having problems getting the Fairy Lights mod stuff to actually display in Hexxit 2?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Patware posted:

anyone else having problems getting the Fairy Lights mod stuff to actually display in Hexxit 2?

I heard one of the optimization mods removes display of certain entities or something, and fairy lights are entities or something so fairy lights aren't displayed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

you have to turn on your monitor

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rynoto posted:

You're gonna wanna automate most of the microverse tiers anyway, cause you're gonna need dilithium in massive quantities forever. Especially tiers 7+, you need tier 7 stuff to get tier 8 stuff to get.....

That was another mistake I made, not automating microverse stuff. I didn't fully grok how much of the stuff was gonna be that important the whole game. Pretty much anything that's in the quest book should get fully automated. It basically says that, but I didn't believe.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
This is my favorite thing about Omnifactory:

This took me most of the afternoon, but I will never give another thought to wires again. Tomorrow I will add their rubberized counterparts where appropriate. It’s very zen. Especially with a bottle of wine.

I didn’t screenshot the elegant rats’ nest of conduits and level emitters behind it to ensure proper distribution of raw resources to keep those drawers filled just so 😅

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

OniPanda posted:

You're gonna wanna automate most of the microverse tiers anyway, cause you're gonna need dilithium in massive quantities forever.

Are we talking craftable connections for the ores that can launch missions, or more like an infinitely-perpetuating chain of mocrominers constantly making GBS threads dilithium forever?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Constantly making GBS threads dilithium. It's the only way to get the quantities needed

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
...Create's devs make me feel exceedingly dumb.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/qjqmy4/there_is_now_an_official_create_mod_modpack/

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ooh, I might take a break from Omnifactory for this.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I was just searching around for newish Create mod videos when I ran across that.

Looks very neat at first glance. The quest log is set up nicely with one section to guide you through the actual tasks of building a rocket and a second section for resource trading. There is quite a bit of completely custom items to set up automation for the quest log resource trading and some for all that numbers stuff going on in the video. Appears to have TONS of custom recipes to enable more Create centric construction of machines and resources or to enable shortcuts of sorts. For example, Fluix and Quartz seeds can be grown through sequenced assembly with water spouts (but maybe still work the normal way?). Lots of items have been changed to only be craftable through special smithing table recipes or stonecutting. There's a comment in the quest book intro that implies that some tasks are affected by the world seed. Maybe that means some recipes change or resources generated differ from seed to seed?

Seems worth trying out for sure.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Spectral Werewolf posted:

There's a comment in the quest book intro that implies that some tasks are affected by the world seed. Maybe that means some recipes change or resources generated differ from seed to seed?
If anyone learns more about this I would love to know exactly what that means, because it sounds really cool.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

If anyone learns more about this I would love to know exactly what that means, because it sounds really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

how much loving work did they put into this thing, christ