Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh I know it's going to be much stupider than that, and I'm excited to see how much stupider. Besides as I said before when this plot point was revealed, "Going into a dream to travel back in time" is basically the exact plot of the movie Somewhere In Time. And then Christopher Reeve sees a penny with the year he's from on it and it flings him back to the present.

Between the idea Arudak can bring back his girlfriend using dream magic and this new revelation that she wasn’t what he thought, I could see—in an actual story—the idea being that Arudak planned to manifest his literal dream woman. His arc—if he had one—being to learn and accept that his dream woman is only one facet of the real woman he loved, who is better off a memory.

But I don’t think even Mookie’s learned this lesson so fat loving chance that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
so this comic has been going for nearly... 3 years? 3 strips a week?

what is the overall plot and what has happened so far?

how has the protagonist grown in this time? (lol)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moola posted:

He's done the opposite. Early on he did things, now he just gets handed things.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Moola posted:

so this comic has been going for nearly... 3 years? 3 strips a week?

what is the overall plot and what has happened so far?

his defining trait is curiosity :downs:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zereth posted:

He's done the opposite. Early on he did things, now he just gets handed things.

I can't believe I miss the dumbass Loony Toons adventures of Snout fighting an evil tree just because it was him loving doing something, rather than him sitting around waiting for everyone to tell him he's a good boy and being sad if they don't constantly give him attention.

Dalris Othaine posted:

his defining trait is curiosity :downs:

This is why, in his search for the Legacy of Dominic Deegan, when he was at the library and read a poem written by Jacob Deegan, his reaction was to ignore it and ask about some other guy.

Because he's so curious, you see.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is why, in his search for the Legacy of Dominic Deegan, when he was at the library and read a poem written by Jacob Deegan, his reaction was to ignore it and ask about some other guy.

He did ask about it. You just didn't see it happen.

I wish I was kidding.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The problem, or one of them anyway, is that Mookie has clearly had no idea where he's trying to go with Legacy, and so there's actually literally really nothing for Snout to be curious about. It's like Mookie's trying to write The Lord of the Rings without working out beforehand that it's about the Ring of Doom. So instead of an epic quest or whatever it's just a bunch of random mooks wandering around aimlessly waiting for the writer to figure out what the gently caress the McGuffin is.

It's like he's a kid who played a bunch of JRPGs or whatever and noticed that he always goes to a new town and clicks on a bunch of NPCs and then pretty soon he's got a main quest and a bunch of side quests. So when he decides to make his own JPRG his model is exactly that: walk to a new town and talk to random NPCs...as if that is in and of itself doing a quest. It's not even a cargo cult mentality, because a cargo cult actually has a distinct, if misguided, objective in mind. This is like if someone created a pseudo cargo cult just because they liked the aesthetics of WWII-era improvised runways and so started making copies without even making the connection between runways and aircraft at all. Cargo cult without the cargo.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I just want them to get out of Maltak, it's somehow even hollower in the future than the original Maltak.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I feel like a finger on a monkey's paw just curled.

Up next: The Desert of Eldariat to Die Twice

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
for gently caress'S SAKE

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

a cold, wet fart

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
THE END

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I mean, I guess it could be a heartfelt moment if Snout were giving literally anything up to stay with his friends, or if, as others had said, this comic had stakes. What happens if Snout fails to find Dominic's legacy? Or conversely, what happens if the Redactor does find it?

...and as far as I know, Arudak is on the same exact quest, so it's not even like Snout is going to stop looking for Asinotaph(?).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So is the Ink Witch, I think.

And Kaianda is also present, she doesn’t even have a quest.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i appreciate the powerful visual storytelling of snout reaffirming his kindness, not by going over to his suffering friends, but by sitting down and writing in his soggy book

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is impossible to show things by action in this, a comic with no dialogue.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Snout's reaction makes perfect sense because the goal of his quest is simply to satisfy his idle curiosity, so there's no problem with delaying. Of course, all this does is highlight that there's nothing at stake. Also my guess is that this person is testing them or something, and if so Snout won't really need to choose between his own needs and his friends at all.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
How noble and kind and sweet and soft and nice and generous and compassionate and caring of Snout to hold off on the quest that he has no power to continue without the help of his friends.

Is this what you want Mookie? Can we move on now?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I won't abandon my friends *sits down to write a journal entry while they weep on the shore*

Also just lmao that mookie has to use a memory bubble and a journal entry to say "Snout is loyal*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

yeah actually they will posted:

for gently caress'S SAKE

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Snout rushing to write his thought in his diary is just the stupidest thing. Is Snout going to forget what he decided if he doesn't? Was Mookie afraid we wouldn't understand the decision from the thought bubble alone?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It all makes sense now. Snout has no object permanence. The only way for him to remember anything off-panel is to write it in his journal. That's why he keeps forgetting about the plot.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"I'll seek Dominic Deegan's legacy later" isn't a status quo change, though. It should basically be the real title.

Also, yeah, Snout gives up nothing by staying to help his friends, and I fail to see what he can even do to help. Corpsemom is pretty much with people who can help her better than Snout. Orc guy needs... What from Snout, exactly? Comfort? Compassion? Ink Witch seems to have that handled. And as for Ink Witch... What problems does she need help with, exactly? Is it the rogue witch, who we haven't seen in so long I wouldn't be surprised if Mookie forgot about her, and probably would show up to stop Snout even if he was alone? She doesn't really have any other issues she needs his help with, she's pretty put together that we can tell.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 29, 2021

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Just absolutely averse to any sort of conflict

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Billy Gnosis posted:

Snout rushing to write his thought in his diary is just the stupidest thing. Is Snout going to forget what he decided if he doesn't? Was Mookie afraid we wouldn't understand the decision from the thought bubble alone?

I misinterpreted it as him writing it down to show that soggy broad his response, but you're right, he actually isn't.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

TheHan posted:

How noble and kind and sweet and soft and nice and generous and compassionate and caring of Snout to hold off on the quest that he has no power to continue without the help of his friends.

Is this what you want Mookie? Can we move on now?
Hell I'm pretty sure he needs their help to even leave, they went on a long-rear end flight to get here. We saw some civilization at the start and then nothing for the rest of the flight. Does Snout even know how to survive in the wilderness of Maltak, let alone to how to get anywhere?

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
No, you know what, it's about as expected. A completely boring flatline of a development we all saw coming, Mookie destroying any tension the moment it arises, naturally. BUT, it's not the fortnight/month long soul searching nothingness of rubbish landscape drawings with him flopped across them in increasingly languid, melodramatic poses like a disgusting warty Morrissey. I was dreading that.

Well done, Mookie. The very least you could manage.

(Next week; somebody looks at Snout funny and he spends the next six months on his back in the middle of a salt flat.)

(What am I saying, everybody in this comic looks at Snout funny.)

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKU0AdOMXLA

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Two things about the thought bubble panel.

1. Snout is wearing a different outfit comforting Kaianda than the other two. Is it copy-pasted from a past comic?

2. Snout is hover-handing Kaianda.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What would they even need help with?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Two things about the thought bubble panel.

1. Snout is wearing a different outfit comforting Kaianda than the other two. Is it copy-pasted from a past comic?

Did you even need to ask

RBA Starblade posted:

What would they even need help with?

Corpsemom needed Snout to randomly happen to have that flower.

Orc guy needs... Comfort...? I guess?

Ink Witch... :shrug:

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

She needed a Sonsband

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the ladies get practically crushed to snout’s chest; the dude gets a hand on his shoulder

if I were a less generous person I’d wonder how much of that is latent “not that there’s anything wrong with that, but he’s definitely not even a little bit like that and I absolutely needed to make this crystal clear”

but I’m gonna settle for saying what the heck, sometimes dudes need hugs too

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

SatansOnion posted:

the ladies get practically crushed to snout’s chest; the dude gets a hand on his shoulder

if I were a less generous person I’d wonder how much of that is latent “not that there’s anything wrong with that, but he’s definitely not even a little bit like that and I absolutely needed to make this crystal clear”

but I’m gonna settle for saying what the heck, sometimes dudes need hugs too

You're assuming the hugs are for the benefit of anyone other than Snout. As his journal tells us, his big takeaway from all this is that he likes hugging. Don't forget this is fundamentally a story about Snout getting hugs from mommies.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this story has no story

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Meanwhile, just off panel...

Ink Witch: "What the gently caress Arudak you promised us that you'd get your friend to make Snout leave us alone."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ink Witch just burying her face in Snout's weird boils

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mookie made a "tribute" to Moebius.

"tribute" traced

Also what exactly is this

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

So was the new antagonist's attempt to prove to Snout that she would be the better companion for him, or was she just trying to get him to wander off and die? I say this because this could have been a decent break moment. Arudak's heart is broken, Ink Witch's ship is destroyed (we can pretend it's not easy for her to put it back together if that's the case), and the vine corpse isn't in a position to be there for anybody. Add to that the obvious tension between Ink Witch and Arudak, and this could easily be a party destroying moment. What's Snout's purpose? Well, he's curious and he wants to be friends with everybody. And in this moment, perhaps he could have stepped up and held the group together. In opposition to her offer to join up with her, and leave the squabbling failures behind, he could turn his back on her and refuse to leave, holding the group together in their time of need and ensuring that they'll continue looking for Dominic's Legacy together.

I'd be happier if that was the case, because I'll be honest, I have no idea what's going on. I know that she wouldn't have a reason to want to team up with Snout, because he doesn't do much, but still.