Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Residual Toast posted:

hm i'm curious how true that is, since you could be doing those actions later under lower hp drain with later huts, and more percentage boosts from items.

Well, that's why the game is good. It really depends on your specific instinct levels and which wall you're running up against late game. It's pretty much always worth it to stock lower level food, but the curve changes for when you should be doing it. When you're no longer at any risk of dying while building the first 2 huts you can set the critical path and the huts themselves to top priority and wait to pick berries later. You can do a similar optimization much later on when certain aspects of certain chapters become trivial.

Late chapter 2 starts to give pretty significant choices on how you solve problems, and how you choose to solve them should be changing a little bit based on what you're trying to accomplish with a run. Of course it's possible to brute force everything if you just run all the same automations every single time, but you're gonna be stuck at a 1-2 instinct level gain per run on most skills when you could have gotten 4-10 instinct levels on lots of them had you chosen differently based on your specific place in the curves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Right now I'm just grinding up my skills and getting automations because there's no way I can take on the wolf pack. Is there something specific I should be doing or am I on the right path?

Edit: Basically I'm letting automation do its thing until I get to the point where I'm hunting boars and then fighting the wolf pack until I die. I'm doing the forest party every time to get the double health bonus.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 29, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cowman posted:

Right now I'm just grinding up my skills and getting automations because there's no way I can take on the wolf pack. Is there something specific I should be doing or am I on the right path?

Edit: Basically I'm letting automation do its thing until I get to the point where I'm hunting boars and then fighting the wolf pack until I die. I'm doing the forest party every time to get the double health bonus.

Slamming your face into a problem generally resolves it. The double health might not be worth all that time until you can get a bit further in that chapter. Your at the midboss.

Grind up as much food as you can, if it's not automated when your health gets low be sure to craft more during the fight. You want 20 of everything from the chapter, at that point I'd cut out berries and apples I think from chapter 1.

Not that going to the party is bad, it speeds up that long time in town talking to people. Social levels might go a long way I did it a few times before deciding to grind it later myself. (I switched to include it and feel it was time when there's another option in a fight to talk your way out of it)

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 29, 2021

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

pixaal posted:

Slamming your face into a problem generally resolves it. The double health might not be worth all that time until you can get a bit further in that chapter. Your at the midboss.

Grind up as much food as you can, if it's not automated when your health gets low be sure to craft more during the fight. You want 20 of everything from the chapter, at that point I'd cut out berries and apples I think from chapter 1.

Not that going to the party is bad, it speeds up that long time in town talking to people. Social levels might go a long way I did it a few times before deciding to grind it later myself. (I switched to include it and feel it was time when there's another option in a fight to talk your way out of it)

I do the party because it really boosts the social levels and also the double HP is nice. It only takes a minute or two so it's not too bad. I figure the double HP will make the fight doable and make my runs last longer so I think it's worth the time for now. Hopefully in later runs it doesn't take as long since I've grinded the levels out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's quicker later, the thing is spending 1 minute makes your base bleed bigger so your food can't keep up as much. I'm not sure if actually getting past the wolf pack fight is worth skipping it. The health bonus doubling seems nice at first but shortly you'll be getting 100 health from a run with it and the +14 your worried about will be a rounding error.

Honestly any run will help as long as you aren't gaining just +1 in the skill you are having a problem with you are probably on the right track at least.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I just used the Campfire party to boost my social instinct myself. The health is whatever, but I wasn't getting past the fight in the forest yet, and it took my social instinct up 60 levels in 3 runs. Worth it for me there, but it's running fast enough now that it doesn't make too much difference while I'm still pushing up my combat instinct to get through that fight.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At higher levels it's kind of fun to look at the spots that gave me so much trouble.

I finish the party during the third second of my run. That's a guy that parties HARD.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

At higher levels it's kind of fun to look at the spots that gave me so much trouble.

I finish the party during the third second of my run. That's a guy that parties HARD.

Yeah it's really fun to watch everything zip by, I'm finishing chapter 2 in under 4 minutes now and still shaving off 45 seconds every run getting to where automation is still in progress.

The worst is when a skill gets underused for a while and suddenly it's the new hotness. I have a fish that takes 40 seconds to catch so I end up dying before I fill up and cook them so I lose a lot of potential xp if I'm not babysitting the end of my runs.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Pachinkremental made the rounds here a few months ago.
It recently got an update, for those that desire more pachinko.
The new content is fine, a different looking gameboard, but it is more or less just a reskin of the original game.
You can blow through the new content in a couple of hours.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Ineptitude posted:

The new content is fine, a different looking gameboard, but it is more or less just a reskin of the original game.

A couple of hours is pretty much right, yeah:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Red Minjo posted:

A couple of hours is pretty much right, yeah:

I was about 10 minutes slower. Nice concept, got a little extra slow when you unlock beach balls, but other than that it's a nice little game.

Joe Desperado
Mar 11, 2008
It's fun but I feel like the pace is a bit too fast at points, especially on the second board.
It kinda losses any strategy and you just click whatever lights up. By the end I wasn't even reading what the upgrades did.

I did enjoy all the Gurren Lagann references tho

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Does it make any difference at all where you set up your autodropper? Maybe I should look up some pachinko strategies

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 30, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

GrossMurpel posted:

Does it make any difference at all where you set up your autodropper? Maybe I should look up some pachinko strategies

In the middle is the most intuitive place and felt the most correct to me.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah I just realized that the bonus wheel landing on the biggest numbers gives the equivalent of like 50 gold balls dropping in the middle slot anyway so it's not that important

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ErIog posted:

Well, that's why the game is good. It really depends on your specific instinct levels and which wall you're running up against late game. It's pretty much always worth it to stock lower level food, but the curve changes for when you should be doing it. When you're no longer at any risk of dying while building the first 2 huts you can set the critical path and the huts themselves to top priority and wait to pick berries later. You can do a similar optimization much later on when certain aspects of certain chapters become trivial.

Late chapter 2 starts to give pretty significant choices on how you solve problems, and how you choose to solve them should be changing a little bit based on what you're trying to accomplish with a run. Of course it's possible to brute force everything if you just run all the same automations every single time, but you're gonna be stuck at a 1-2 instinct level gain per run on most skills when you could have gotten 4-10 instinct levels on lots of them had you chosen differently based on your specific place in the curves.

The choices you get are not giving you different ways to solve an immediate problem, they're shortcuts and effects you'll want or need later down the road in future chapters. That isn't super obvious in Chapter 2 so I can understand why it seems that way but it's very obvious later on and very clearly not about creating meaningful alternative paths.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been progressing through Increlution and I like when you push through a hard part like convincing the bandits you get to come back to town and re-build your resources. There's like ratcheting difficulty in this with sections that sorta let you regain your composure and I'm actually really enjoying it. I think sometimes the pausing and shuffling around jobs gets really fiddly when you're pushing a hard section but the way progression works in this you really only end up doing that a handful of times before you're blowing by it in subsequent runs. I don't see anything about chapters, am I just not past the first one yet?

Edit: Oh wait I see chapters in the automation config screen, looks like I'm going into chapter 3?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 31, 2021

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009
Is anyone still playing Cavernous 2? I'm in zone 3 and just unlocked my 4th clone and have the weaken, wither, and duplicate runes. Is the wither rune useful at this point in the game? It doesn't seem worth the effort to mine the salt for it. Also any tips for using the duplicate rune? Should I be using it for extra gold or iron or is it a situational thing?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Been poking at Lazy Galaxy 2 for a few days, and it seems neat.
Starts off similar to the first one, but turned out to be more of an unfolding puzzle than expected.
(What order do I conquer things, where do I put the land I get, how do I optimize building location, etc)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have recently started a job where I have near ungodly amounts of spare time, so are there any other in-browser idle games that are good? I have elethor going, but I can easy fit in another one.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
In NGU is there ideal targets to boost the stats to in cards on sadistic?

I got pointers to boost hacks to 400% and wishes to 1000% in the tags but now I've done that I'm wondering what I should aim for on the other stats.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arcanuse posted:

Been poking at Lazy Galaxy 2 for a few days, and it seems neat.
Starts off similar to the first one, but turned out to be more of an unfolding puzzle than expected.
(What order do I conquer things, where do I put the land I get, how do I optimize building location, etc)

I'll have to remember to check that out later. It's in my steam library, I just kind of forgot it existed.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Kin posted:

In NGU is there ideal targets to boost the stats to in cards on sadistic?

I got pointers to boost hacks to 400% and wishes to 1000% in the tags but now I've done that I'm wondering what I should aim for on the other stats.

qp. lots of qp. if you don't you'll be sad when you're pushing through the ending sequence

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Dammit, I wanted to make a joke so bad about how I was promised 90 hours of content and only got 89. I would have done it too if I didn't screw myself over in a few ways in chapter 5:

- Trying to complete the hunting challenge in hightown instead of the sailing challenge. Taking 30k damage is better than 200k, right? Not when your skills get high enough and you're taking that 30k every second while the 200k hit is every 10-12 seconds. I spent several 40+ minute runs boosting my hunting instinct by 20 levels or more at a time before abandoning this.

- Racing through the pyramid as fast as I could to spend as much time in chapter 5 as possible. That meant I didn't have enough gemstones to build the shrine, effectively halving my health gain during all those 40+ minute runs. Definitely would have done that differently had I known the final explorations were gated by how much health you have.

I might just wipe my save and give it another try.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

NPR Journalizard posted:

I have recently started a job where I have near ungodly amounts of spare time, so are there any other in-browser idle games that are good? I have elethor going, but I can easy fit in another one.

evolve idle

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Getting to the end of Chapter 4 of Increlution. When I finish Chapter 5 is it done, or can I keep restarting to get my run time down? I'm not opposed to spending a month hitting "Reincarnate" until I can finish the whole run in 5 minutes.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Yeah, you can keep doing runs and gaining experience. It does tell you that you might mess up the flow of future content by doing it but you could always do a fresh save.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I finished NGU Idle. It took me a couple of weeks of actively idling to get the 69 moves done, but it's done. Everything ticked off: achievements, challenges, story.

Wherever 4G is now, thanks for the game. It was a lot of fun.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Fiss posted:

Is anyone still playing Cavernous 2? I'm in zone 3 and just unlocked my 4th clone and have the weaken, wither, and duplicate runes. Is the wither rune useful at this point in the game? It doesn't seem worth the effort to mine the salt for it. Also any tips for using the duplicate rune? Should I be using it for extra gold or iron or is it a situational thing?

Wither is mostly useful for parts where you have to repeatedly go through kudzushrooms, since kudzushrooms dont get cut down and each clone has to spend individual time cutting them down there are times you want to use wither to cut them down instead of pathing back and forth through them.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I take it the stone house is a trap in Increlution? It took me around 3-4 minutes to build and while it's great for construction and digging grinding it feels like the reward isn't worth it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cowman posted:

I take it the stone house is a trap in Increlution? It took me around 3-4 minutes to build and while it's great for construction and digging grinding it feels like the reward isn't worth it.

Houses are A++ and worth grinding imo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cowman posted:

The time you gain is worth it eventually, and the quickest way to get your skills that high is to build it.

Anything that takes a long time is giving you a ton of XP and levels for the next run. There's times you will beat your head into an objective for 5-6 generations before finally completing it so the next 10 will let you automate it. Generally breaking a wall that big will lead you to a large section of stuff you can do so you'll automate like half a chapter at once.

Stone house should only take 3-4 gens to be worth it though especially since you can already complete it. The coconut hut took me a few tries to even get completed in a run, then a few more to not have more health decay than when I started.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cowman posted:

I think the carts are a little bit of a trap since their main use case is when you need to lug a bunch of stuff along that you can't acquire later

But no, houses are always great and you should net a profit in progress on the very first run you can build it. Maybe the second.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Honestly, the only trap I've seen so far is the mine.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Toshimo posted:

Honestly, the only trap I've seen so far is the mine.

the mineshaft in chapter 3? you get a 3x health boost and a combat boost, which is ultimately way more important than boosting your capacity/sailing/agility for the purposes of beating down the optional fights that grow your health gain per generation.

frankly, the river is the trap there

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

the mineshaft in chapter 3? you get a 3x health boost and a combat boost, which is ultimately way more important than boosting your capacity/sailing/agility for the purposes of beating down the optional fights that grow your health gain per generation.

frankly, the river is the trap there

When you first get there it's a huge dead end, though.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Carts are also not a trap because there are several points where it is either mandatory or faster to complete an exploration that causes you a ton of instant damage that you can consume food at the same time to overcome. Only storing 10 of each food you wouldn't be able to bypass them without the carts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I kinda fell off the Increlution train this weekend, not sure what it was but somewhere in Ch 3 I just kinda lost the drive to keep doing runs for marginal upgrades or to put a dent in the automation for the next thing in line.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

explosivo posted:

I kinda fell off the Increlution train this weekend, not sure what it was but somewhere in Ch 3 I just kinda lost the drive to keep doing runs for marginal upgrades or to put a dent in the automation for the next thing in line.

It's dragging and I'm doing 1-2 resets a day in chapter 3 around the time runs started taking 40 minutes instead of 30. I think the idle time is too long and I just forget about it. There's a pretty long active sequence too so I end up AFKing during certain points and then need to push a button again. The training at the top of the mountain. I was excited at first but oh boy is grinding up the 10 runs for automation a massive slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Toshimo posted:

When you first get there it's a huge dead end, though.
Only one time did I get into a position where I died early due to being in a fight with nothing to hunt, cook, dig, cut, or craft. The trap is preparing too much before the fights and being left with nothing to spend food cooldown time doing. Time spent fighting and hunting and cooking is time spent getting better at getting through the mine.