Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

keep punching joe posted:

Trip report : I deactivated Twitter and now have no social media presence. How in the hell do you get by without knowing precisely what is happening every second of everywhere? It's quite anxiety inducing to be honest.

After a while you realise you don't need to, it does take time though. If you wish to stay informed, subscribe to a Sunday newspaper or a weekly news email list.
You'll still hear about the important news, but the other 90% (which is often just conjecture) wont reach you.

Oh snipe.

Here's another picture of my dog, she knows nothing about the goings on in the world.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trip report : I deactivated Twitter and now have no social media presence. How in the hell do you get by without knowing precisely what is happening every second of everywhere? It's quite anxiety inducing to be honest.

I run through the streets in ragged clothes, grabbing passersby and shouting "WHAT YEAR IS IT? WHO IS THE PRIME MINISTER? HAS THE WAR STARTED YET?".

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Having quit (and relapsed) multiple times after a few days of no Twitter you can genuinely feel your brain starting to function differently. It's remakrable.

The relapse trigger is always some big news or sports event that actually would be fun and hilarious to follow on Twitter, so I log on and then it sucks me back in for weeks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've never been on twitter, but I do read these forums too much, and do wonder how much time I'd save if I didn't post here anymore

I wish I knew how to quit u, ukmt :smith:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I rely on this forum and my FB page subscriptions to alert me to topics of interest (and those on my FB friends who post political stuff - mostly my FB friends are grannies and post granny stuff) and also when I'm out, I'll look at newspaper front pages to see if there's anything going on I should look into.
There's just too much information out there so some sort of curation is necessary. Pick your personal hot topics, maybe pick out a couple of blogs that cover them.

I read a statistic once that the average heavyweight Sunday paper contains more information than an educated medieval woman would be expected to know in her whole lifetime!

I follow twitter links from here but mostly do NOT sign in. Signing in leads to madness (says Queen of the Unsent Replies). If I do sign in, I have to force myself off again.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 29, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The trick with twitter is to look but not touch, and limit your looks to the main tweets and ignoring the replies.

That's how I twit.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I've never been on twitter, but I do read these forums too much, and do wonder how much time I'd save if I didn't post here anymore

I wish I knew how to quit u, ukmt :smith:

There are a few android apps that will tell you how much you use apps and allow you to limit their usage. Awful app was twice as much as the 2nd most used app, firefox.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I read a statistic once that the average heavyweight Sunday paper contains more information than an educated medieval woman would be expected to know in her whole lifetime!
In the case of the Sunday Express it's mostly the same stuff about foreigners stealing relics from churches and putting dangerous Muslim prayers in your food.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

You refresh this thread.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, tweets get posted everywhere even if you don't actually have an account of your own.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

In the case of the Sunday Express it's mostly the same stuff about foreigners stealing relics from churches and putting dangerous Muslim prayers in your food.

That's why I said 'heavyweight'. The big fat multiple section ones. I've never bought the Sunday Express so didn't think it came into that category.
Dad and I always used to have a tussle over the Sunday papers. He would instantly throw away all the financial sections which I would have to retrieve from the bin (I love reading that stuff). On the other hand we mutually agreed that any sports and car news was a considerable waste of trees and only good for lining the cat litter tray.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

There are a few android apps that will tell you how much you use apps and allow you to limit their usage. Awful app was twice as much as the 2nd most used app, firefox.

Oh I deleted the app a long time ago. I'll occasionally reinstall it as a treat for bed posting when I'm feeling lazy, but I always delete it at the end of the day. It's when I'm at the femputer that I wind up mindlessly, well,

His Divine Shadow posted:

You refresh this thread.

Now the femputer doesn't get turned on til I've at least been to the gym/had a run. I'm getting better slowly.

It's worst at the minute because the job I'm doing means I have to be at the PC to receive calls, but I get so few calls that I'm at a loss for what to do, but I can't really get stuck into a film or something because I'm always waiting for the phone to ring. So reading the forums is the easiest and least stressful way to waste my time

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They must have been using a pretty narrow definition of 'information'.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

As everything has gone "Meta" i have a FB account to keep tabs on a few things that i can't track anywhere else.
I read a few subreddits on Reddit (never been a member).
Imugr cause it makes me laugh (which is nice).
YT, source of entertainment and knowledge.

This place is "home?!?" as far as the internet goes; nicer collection of ppl than you usually get on a forum, a lot of varied topics and i think it's a good base.

My main worry about the internet (other than download speed) is landing in an echo chamber and never noticing until i am well past the possibility of hope.

I still think it's more reliable than a lot of other medias.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it's important enough to worry about you will be able to see the glow on the horizon or notice the sudden uptick of leather and chain wearing mohawked yooths around.

Except specifically this weekend at whitby because it's goth weekend and the people dressed like that aren't cause for alarm.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

They must have been using a pretty narrow definition of 'information'.

Yeah, because even the most sheltered big-cone-on-head castle maiden is stiil going to have a circle of friends and know about their lives, some knowledge of the happenings in the area around from that too, and also probably have a pretty big chunk of bible verses, prayers, saints days, festivals etc memorised. Given most Sunday papers are just gossip and opinion the mix of info is probably about the same.

Her servants will have all that plus a lot of practical knowledge - probably more than most people nowadays because there's not many who off the top of their head can tell you how to spin thread, make soap, when and how to store and use dozens if not hundreds of foodstuffs, plus all the basics of day-to-day life like making bread and cooking.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
e: 8===D (seems like the story i posted isn't quite true. sorry)

Shakespearean Beef fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 29, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Absolutely no one should engage with FB or any of its Meta reincarnations whatsoever, it's evil poo poo. Fair enough tho Whatsapp is kinda unavoidable for just functioning in your local community unless people can be convinced to move to Signal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's a meta, I have never used a face book or paid any attention to it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing, what's a meta with you?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothing, what's a meta with you?

:discourse:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Imagine PlayStation Home but for your work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

I also haven't owned a console since uh... original xbox I think?

E: playstation home looks like second life?

E2: only with fewer big dick wolf furries and therefore worse.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 29, 2021

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bo2QW9x.mp4

e: what's that movie with a young robot joel haley osmont who eats a broccoli and ruins his machine innards

kecske fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 29, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao I just realised he eats dry loving toast

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He really looks more and more like an early prototype of Dr Noonien Soong

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

(there are dragons in game of thrones right I never watched it)

OwlFancier posted:

OwlFancier posted:

I also haven't owned a console since uh... original xbox I think?

are you a tibetan mountain shaman, what's your secret to immunity from media saturation exposure

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jesus that man is unsettling. Like i feel at any moment his jaw is going to Unhinge and thousands of flies will pour out of his mouth while the shriek of the damned rings in all our ears.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Is he using a bottle of brown sauce as a book end?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Just Another Lurker posted:

Imugr cause it makes me laugh (which is nice).

My main worry about the internet (other than download speed) is landing in an echo chamber and never noticing until i am well past the possibility of hope.
How do you ‘read’ Imgur? Like I’m vaguely aware they keep trying to force it into some social media wrapping like every other site but isn’t it still essentially just a big box of random images?

And I wouldn’t worry about the echo chamber thing, it always seems to be a concern of the far-right “DEBATE ME” types who never argue in good faith or the far-centre LessWrong types who think that debate can win over the first group

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

peanut- posted:

Yes. He's trying to be funny cos people made fun of his cooking meats video.

He's in on the joke see, he's a cool guy!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

are you a tibetan mountain shaman, what's your secret to immunity from media saturation exposure

I don't own a TV or a streaming service, and I also absolutely hate paying subscription for anything and I try to limit my discretionary spending as much as possible (except for the odd food treat, I like eating)

So yes I am basically a tibetan mountain hermit. If you never get attached to any of that stuff it really has very little pull, I think. Same thing people said upthread, you don't need to keep caught up with any of it, it's only habit that makes you think you do, the feeling that you're "missing out" is entirely in your head, put there by the evil advertising goblins.

Honestly I don't know how everyone else manages the stress of trying to keep up with everything. It seems utterly exhausting and often fairly ruinous on the bank account.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jesus that man is unsettling. Like i feel at any moment his jaw is going to Unhinge and thousands of flies will pour out of his mouth while the shriek of the damned rings in all our ears.

https://i.imgur.com/MGmGml6.mp4

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Barry Foster posted:

It's worst at the minute because the job I'm doing means I have to be at the PC to receive calls, but I get so few calls that I'm at a loss for what to do, but I can't really get stuck into a film or something because I'm always waiting for the phone to ring. So reading the forums is the easiest and least stressful way to waste my time

I've been doing this for the last week, but it's actually very stressful because I get judged based on my work output which is recorded on a daily basis in multiple ways, but I can only work on tasks I'm assigned to (and the management is very clear on that front) and we've just had a major release so there's not much to do.

Means I'm constantly stressing out whether I'll get cut from the team (which is not quite the same as sacked, but still very bad job-wise for various reasons).

e: it doesn't help that one other person in a similar situation is leaving the team on Monday and got less than a week notice

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 29, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

TACD posted:

And I wouldn’t worry about the echo chamber thing, it always seems to be a concern of the far-right “DEBATE ME” types who never argue in good faith or the far-centre LessWrong types who think that debate can win over the first group

This has overwhelmingly been my experience too

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't own a TV or a streaming service, and I also absolutely hate paying subscription for anything and I try to limit my discretionary spending as much as possible (except for the odd food treat, I like eating)

So yes I am basically a tibetan mountain hermit. If you never get attached to any of that stuff it really has very little pull, I think. Same thing people said upthread, you don't need to keep caught up with any of it, it's only habit that makes you think you do, the feeling that you're "missing out" is entirely in your head, put there by the evil advertising goblins.

Honestly I don't know how everyone else manages the stress of trying to keep up with everything. It seems utterly exhausting and often fairly ruinous on the bank account.

The same, but I just torrent anything I want to watch.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1454036422273478656?s=20
might be nothing but... lol... thank god for the freemarket!!!!1!1

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

peanut- posted:

check out this fancy lad who doesn’t use condiments as furniture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Oh, it gets better than that.