Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I grind my PB fresh in the bulk section and I have never put it in the fridge. I can't imagine how hard it would be to spread if it were cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Costco changed their peanut butter (the peanut butter that's made entirely from peanuts, as opposed to Skippy). The new brand starts out OK, but it's noticeably harder to spread after a week or so in the fridge, and by halfway through the jar, it's more like a paste than a spread. I'm carving out chunks with a knife and then having to press it pretty hard to flatten it onto the bread. This is consistent across four jars so far.

Is this something I could fix by mixing more oil in? Like, did they use lower-oil peanuts, or extract some of the oil out during processing, or something? I'm hard-pressed to think what else could be underlying this, given that both peanut butters have the same sole ingredient. It's not like I'm treating the jars any differently.
For future jars, store it upside-down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Part of the reason it’s easier at the top of the jar is the oil rises as everything else settled over time. You’re not mixing enough at the start so you’ve got more oil in your first half a jar of use and basically no oil by the end leaving you with a hard crumbly mess.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Part of the reason it’s easier at the top of the jar is the oil rises as everything else settled over time. You’re not mixing enough at the start so you’ve got more oil in your first half a jar of use and basically no oil by the end leaving you with a hard crumbly mess.

This is why I emphasized that I haven't changed how I'm treating the jars. With the old PB, I could mix thoroughly once when I opened the jar, and then it'd be stable so long as I kept it in the fridge. With the new stuff, that isn't the case. They're both pretty well separated when I buy them, I do the same amount of mixing, so what's different?

regulargonzalez posted:

For future jars, store it upside-down.

I do this before I open them, since it makes the mixing easier, but it also makes opening the jar the first time a potentially messy process. I'd rather not go through that every time :\

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The cheap stuff probably has some emulsifier in there, which makes it better at sticking together.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Just don’t put it in the fridge and mix it again each time you open the jar

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Badger of Basra posted:

Just don’t put it in the fridge and mix it again each time you open the jar

Some PB must be refrigerated.

This is why I emphasized that I haven't changed how I'm treating the jars. With the old PB, I could mix thoroughly once when I opened the jar, and then it'd be stable so long as I kept it in the fridge. With the new stuff, that isn't the case. They're both pretty well separated when I buy them, I do the same amount of mixing, so what's different?

Ah, I misunderstood. This is probably the answer vvvvvv

BonHair posted:

The cheap stuff probably has some emulsifier in there, which makes it better at sticking together.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I do this before I open them, since it makes the mixing easier, but it also makes opening the jar the first time a potentially messy process. I'd rather not go through that every time :\

My dad would dump out the whole jar into a tupperware container, give it a good stir, and store it in the fridge that way. Maybe try that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe even when chilled the oil will still migrate upward (well, the solids migrate downward I guess), just more slowly, so if you want a consistent product you need to stir every time whether it's refrigerated or not. Only if its refrigerated it will be harder to stir than if it isn't.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Would that show up in the ingredients list? Both jars only list peanuts as ingredients.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I believe even when chilled the oil will still migrate upward (well, the solids migrate downward I guess), just more slowly, so if you want a consistent product you need to stir every time whether it's refrigerated or not. Only if its refrigerated it will be harder to stir than if it isn't.

Yeah, they'll separate eventually. I'm still just struggling to figure out what's different about this jar that causes it to separate faster, or whatever else the difference might be.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Would that show up in the ingredients list? Both jars only list peanuts as ingredients.

In a sane country with food label oversight, yeah, it should. But since the one you described as full of coconut oil only lists peanuts, and neither list salt, it's a fair bet that you're American and thus you can't trust basically anything.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not really sure where to ask this, so i'll resort to here.

basically, i just configured 1password. i'm now noticing it allows you to incorporate 2fa for sites where that's a thing. wouldn't doing so defeat the point? isn't the whole point of 2fa to require you to need two, separate devices in order to log on?

or am i misunderstanding how 1password does this?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

abelwingnut posted:

not really sure where to ask this, so i'll resort to here.

basically, i just configured 1password. i'm now noticing it allows you to incorporate 2fa for sites where that's a thing. wouldn't doing so defeat the point? isn't the whole point of 2fa to require you to need two, separate devices in order to log on?

or am i misunderstanding how 1password does this?

Kinda, but if someone’s in your vault you’ve probably already lost anyway

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

regulargonzalez posted:

Ok, as a math minor person can you help solve a riddle I thought of the other day? I've spent hours thinking about it and I think I know the answer but would like confirmation. Also available to answer for non-math minors!

Person 1 and Person 2 decide to play a game. The rules are as follows:

1. The goal is to end the game with more money than the other person

2. Each person starts with $5

3. There is a $1 bill up for auction. Players will take turns bidding on it, starting with player 1.

4. Bids can be in any increment

5. Players can skip their turn to bid, except player 1 must bid on their first turn. 3 skips in a row end the bidding.

6. The twist is that both the winning bid (from whichever player) and the other player's highest bid are deducted from their cash. The winning bidder adds the $1 bill to their total. So for example, if Player 2 has a final bid of $5 and Player 1 has a final bid of $4.99, player 2's final cash would be ($5 starting cash - $5 final bid + $1 bill won in the auction = ) $1, and player 1 would be ($5 starting cash - $4.99 final bid, no money won in the auction = ) $0.01. Player 2 would win.

The question is, with optimal play from each player, who wins: player 1 / opening bidder, player 2, or a tie.

I took one semester of game theory so let's do a game theory proof:

Under optimal play, for Player 1 to win they need to play into a game state where Player 2 has no non-losing moves (otherwise the optimal move would be to just pick that one, right?)

If Player 1 bids anything from $0.01 to $3.99, Player 2 can bid 1 cent higher, which is a non-losing move.
If P1 bids $4.00, P2 can force a draw by bidding $5.00. Drawing is a non-losing move.
If P1 bids $4.01-$5.00, P2 can pass. Then either P1 bids higher and starts this over again, or P1 passes again, and then P2 can win. Winning is a non-losing move.

So, given optimal play, it's impossible for Player 1 to win -- Player 2 has a non-losing move in every situation. So, the game can only end in a draw or a P2 win.
But we can repeat that whole argument again with P1 and P2 swapped and we'll see that it's also impossible for Player 2 to win, because P1 also always has a non-losing move. So, the game can only end in a draw or a P1 win.

Combine those two conclusions and we see that this game will always end in a draw.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Kinda, but if someone’s in your vault you’ve probably already lost anyway

Pretty much. Your 1Password vault is your second factor device. 2fa is most useful on site hacks and password reuse so having it stored within your vault still protects you against that. You can then put your 1Password login 2fa on something else so even if your 1Password password is compromised you should still be protected.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Pretty much. Your 1Password vault is your second factor device. 2fa is most useful on site hacks and password reuse so having it stored within your vault still protects you against that. You can then put your 1Password login 2fa on something else so even if your 1Password password is compromised you should still be protected.

that makes sense. but i guess the scenario i'm thinking of is this.

let's say someone manages to remotely control computer, and they're able to open chrome get in the vault through the extension. they can then reveal the password associated with site a. but, if the 2fa for site a is not there, then they still can't get on the site. they would need access to my phone for that. obv, if the 2fa is attached to the site, they could.

if that is correct, then adding a site's 2fa into the 1password vault would seem bad, no? do i have something wrong?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

someone manages to remotely control computer,

You've lost at this point. If they can remotely control your computer they can just wait for you to get your 2fa code and copy it when you log into your account next or just take control the next time you log in and disable your input devices etc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You’re not wrong, it’s just incredibly unlikely. The most likely scenario is some poorly coded site lost your credentials and you need a second way to verify.

My 1Password vault is protected via biometric authentication as well so even if someone gained access to my computer or my phone they would still need Face ID or Touch ID to access the contents. Even if someone was silently watching, they would only have the 30-60 seconds to grab your username, password and 2fa and use it login before it then rotates out to a different value. It’s easier just to drop some malware on your PC to man-in-the-middle your credentials no matter where your 2fa is.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Slimy Hog posted:

You've lost at this point. If they can remotely control your computer they can just wait for you to get your 2fa code and copy it when you log into your account next or just take control the next time you log in and disable your input devices etc.

true. hmm.

FCKGW posted:

You’re not wrong, it’s just incredibly unlikely. The most likely scenario is some poorly coded site lost your credentials and you need a second way to verify.

My 1Password vault is protected via biometric authentication as well so even if someone gained access to my computer or my phone they would still need Face ID or Touch ID to access the contents. Even if someone was silently watching, they would only have the 30-60 seconds to grab your username, password and 2fa and use it login before it then rotates out to a different value. It’s easier just to drop some malware on your PC to man-in-the-middle your credentials no matter where your 2fa is.

but this sounds like a fun way to mitigate that scenario. i had no idea this was possible. and it may not be possible on my laptop--i'll have to check.

good idea--thanks.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

This is why I emphasized that I haven't changed how I'm treating the jars. With the old PB, I could mix thoroughly once when I opened the jar, and then it'd be stable so long as I kept it in the fridge.

Peanut butter manufacturers sometimes add hydrogenated heated oil to their peanut butters to stop them from separating (i.e. JIF). Natural nut oils separate over time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some PB must be refrigerated.
Why would peanut butter need to refrigerated?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Why would peanut butter need to refrigerated?

It can get rancid like regular peanuts since its got a lot of fat in it. Obviously not if you've got the weird kraft style stuff, but if it's just a bunch of nuts ground together to make peanut butter then it's vulnerable to going bad eventually.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
How much peanut butter do you folks buy at a time? It usually takes me about two weeks to eat a jar/container from the “grind in store” machine, and it’s never gone even slightly rancid during that time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Same, i get pint sized amounts fresh from the grinder at the store so it's as unprocessed as can be, never put it in the fridge, never had a problem. Are you keeping PB around for a year or something?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are memory settings for a sit-stand desk necessary, or is it not a big deal?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The containers say "refrigerate after opening", so I did that and never really put any thought into it :shrug:

actionjackson posted:

Are memory settings for a sit-stand desk necessary, or is it not a big deal?

They're a convenience, nothing more. It's nice to be able to just punch a button and have the desk adjust itself to your desired posture, but that takes, what, 15-30 seconds? You can afford to control it by hand for that much time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The containers say "refrigerate after opening", so I did that and never really put any thought into it :shrug:

They're a convenience, nothing more. It's nice to be able to just punch a button and have the desk adjust itself to your desired posture, but that takes, what, 15-30 seconds? You can afford to control it by hand for that much time.

I just want to make sure the sitting and standing height are at specific values so I don't have any ergonomic issues

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

with a manual one, you can just mark the correct settings with a marker or tape

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

with a manual one, you can just mark the correct settings with a marker or tape

sorry I'm probably just really dumb, mark where? I need to have a reference point at 30" to compare it to

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

sorry I'm probably just really dumb, mark where? I need to have a reference point at 30" to compare it to

If your desk is against a wall, you could put some painters tape on it at the right heights. You can also mark the lowest height you want the desk at (but not the highest) by putting some tape on the inner portion of the telescoping leg.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If your desk is against a wall, you could put some painters tape on it at the right heights. You can also mark the lowest height you want the desk at (but not the highest) by putting some tape on the inner portion of the telescoping leg.

thanks, that second idea is a good one! couldn't that work for the upper height too, since you would just mark the inner leg when it's exposed at the upper height?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

thanks, that second idea is a good one! couldn't that work for the upper height too, since you would just mark the inner leg when it's exposed at the upper height?

At least on my desk, the inner leg has a pretty tight fit in the outer leg. You could maybe get away with a marker (if your desk's legs aren't black, like mine are), but I'd be worried about tape scraping loose and causing the leg to stick.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This is a weird one that I thought of after seeing the same shirt in two different places. Are we more tolerant of "big" curse words in public?

I ask because I saw within like a week, two different people wearing a shirt that had "gently caress Biden" spelled out of guns in big font. Regardless of political views, it struck me as super weird to wear a shirt with a giant F-bomb right there. I don't know if I'm being prudish or what. I grew up with The Simpsons and South Park, so it's not like I'm not used to cursing on TV or movies or anything. And I've seen other shirts with stuff like "gently caress" or "poo poo" on them, it just continually weirds me out, seeing it in public and all

Cohen v. California was resolved in 1971. A Vietnam veteran was charged with disturbing the peace for wearing a "gently caress the Draft" t-shirt. Supreme Court decided that you're allowed to put four-letter words on t-shirts, so that sort of shirt has been around for quite awhile.

The cultural tolerance of that probably varies from place to place and in different contexts, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot more t-shirt sales with vulgarities on them since the Trump era.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

At least on my desk, the inner leg has a pretty tight fit in the outer leg. You could maybe get away with a marker (if your desk's legs aren't black, like mine are), but I'd be worried about tape scraping loose and causing the leg to stick.

Silver paint marker (Testor is good) for black.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok that's a good idea, the legs are white so that should be fine. a bit of painters tape is another idea which I prefer since it can be removed if needed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's iPhone says it can't back up to iCloud because there's not enough space. But of the 5 gigs of space she has, only 30.6 MB is in use. What's causing the problem?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

My wife's iPhone says it can't back up to iCloud because there's not enough space. But of the 5 gigs of space she has, only 30.6 MB is in use. What's causing the problem?

Maybe the backup it wants to make is more than 5gb so it’s not even going to try?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Thanatosian posted:

Cohen v. California was resolved in 1971. A Vietnam veteran was charged with disturbing the peace for wearing a "gently caress the Draft" t-shirt. Supreme Court decided that you're allowed to put four-letter words on t-shirts, so that sort of shirt has been around for quite awhile.

The cultural tolerance of that probably varies from place to place and in different contexts, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot more t-shirt sales with vulgarities on them since the Trump era.

Huh, I guess I'd never even thought of the legalities of a vulgar shirt but that's interesting to know!

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

FCKGW posted:

Maybe the backup it wants to make is more than 5gb so it’s not even going to try?

It’s probably this. You can select what gets backed up and what doesn’t, try deselecting pictures or videos, those are usually the largest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Why did Cosmo Kramer have the same haircut as MC Serch