Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, I knew enough about the game to know you can pogo up spikes.

Honestly I thought it was the intended way to get there, it honestly seems easier than mantis clawing in between spikes.

yeah i'm not looking at it right now but based on my memory of the layout, wall jumping up there and not pogoing off anything would be incredibly difficult if not impossible.

you're definitely intended to pogo up there if you've learned you can do that, or come back way later with double jump and smoke that rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Anybody else fight mawlek after seeing two endings

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i picked this game back up after leaving off in some kinda big rainy bug city. i dont really know what im doing and i triggered a cutscene and im worried i hosed up some storylines of friendly bugs i met before.

i also found my way into the sewer and then went through there to a fungus realm and im very sad that the cute mushroom from the OP is hostile, i got killed trying to go up and talk to it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i picked this game back up after leaving off in some kinda big rainy bug city. i dont really know what im doing and i triggered a cutscene and im worried i hosed up some storylines of friendly bugs i met before.

i also found my way into the sewer and then went through there to a fungus realm and im very sad that the cute mushroom from the OP is hostile, i got killed trying to go up and talk to it

You are doing great, don't worry

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

that cutscene kind of marks the end of the first act. basically you're fine just keep exploring and heading to areas you haven't been yet. the only way to really gently caress up storylines is to speedrun since you'll find them randomly in levels if you're playing with a "let's explore the whole map" mindset

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Not that I'm recommending it if you're not feeling it, but it's fairly common for people to take a long break from Hollow Knight early on, come back fairly confused, and then have a good experience by starting over completely. The early game still takes a few hours, but if you basically remember any of it you may be surprised how smooth it feels on a restart.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hollow knight also doesn’t do the dark souls thing where you can whoopsy-daisy npc questlines into oblivion on a whim, there are only a few points where npc’s can be permanently affected by your choices and they’re all very obvious - eg, this schmuck is being eaten alive in front of you, do you whack the critter eating him y/n

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I should have let the bug eat him, because he's a jerk.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You can gently caress up the storyline if you save Zote instead of leaving him to die.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm somewhat surprised that (as of this writing) according to Steam, only 5.3% of players left him to die. :rip:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I'm somewhat surprised that (as of this writing) according to Steam, only 5.3% of players left him to die. :rip:

I have that listed proudly in my achievement showcase.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Interesting that only 5% of Hollow Knight players are hosed up psychos...

you MONSTER! He's a KNIGHT of GREAT REKNOWN

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I saved him on my first run, because I didn't know the Mighty Zote, but obviously on a different play-through I had to see what happened if I didn't :haw:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I rescued that jerk over and over and then I kicked his dream rear end. after many many tries

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im kind confused as to where to go next. i beat a couple of bosses but now i'm not sure where to go

i fought the dung beetle and the soul master, ive been into the reddish area in the east of the city of tears, and into the underground bit underneath the waterway, but i seem like i need more powers to get anywhere. i have the dash, wall climb, the butt slam, and the dream nail

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vague hint: Have you noticed that you can Desolate Dive into the floor at certain areas to break through them? You need to do that somewhere. Alternatively, do you have the lantern from Sly's shop? That can get you into the same place.

Straight up telling you what to do: Head east from the crossroads into Crystal Peaks.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
If you are playing on the PC edition, you can simply get a save right near the end to get both the steel soul and the time-based achievements (assuming you can beat the end boss). :agesilaus:

Although I have to say that letting Zote die was one of my favorite achievements.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

If you are playing on the PC edition, you can simply get a save right near the end to get both the steel soul and the time-based achievements (assuming you can beat the end boss). :agesilaus:

Although I have to say that letting Zote die was one of my favorite achievements.

Yup that is something that a spooky monster would say, good thing it's Halloween

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
leaving Zote to die is the act of a spineless coward

a real hero would eat the little poo poo themselves

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Interesting that only 5% of Hollow Knight players are hosed up psychos...

you MONSTER! He's a KNIGHT of GREAT REKNOWN

hobojim posted:

that was the last of the achievements, aside from leaving zote to die, but i've got my priorities straight so that one will forever remain unobtained.

:hai:

You guys are fuckin monsters

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

LLCoolJD posted:

jesus loving christ.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

leaving zote to die and killing the nailmaster when you know the other ending 1000 times would not measure up to the depths of the evil required to download a save to cheat the speedrun and steel soul achievements.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

People should play how they want to, even if that involves cheating - it's a single-player game, so you're not getting in anyone else's way. But on the other hand, if you can't legitimately earn the achievement, it's ok to just not have it. Nobody worth your consideration is going to judge you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If you're gonna cheat for an achievement why not just download SAM so you can do it for your other games?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I will judge you for saving Zote, because it shows a lack of faith in the legendary hero's abilities

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

b_d posted:

leaving zote to die and killing the nailmaster when you know the other ending 1000 times would not measure up to the depths of the evil required to download a save to cheat the speedrun and steel soul achievements.

:classiclol: Those are such tedious achievements. I beat Radiance, Grey Prince Zote, NKG, and others. Good enough for me. I think I lost interest around Pantheon of the Sage or Knight (admittedly, a difficult challenge as well).

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you could probably find a mod that makes you invincible and 1-shot everything and get Embrace the Void as well. why the hell not

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

LLCoolJD posted:

I got the surprisingly rare 100%-in-under-20-hours achievement. :toot: Those Switch playthroughs came in handy, I guess.

LLCoolJD posted:

quote:

My advice for steel soul - depending entirely on how much you *care* - is to be willing to pause the game at 1 health and quit out, which will return you to your most recent bench.
That was my trick!

i don't believe you actually achieved these things now. no word of yours about your accomplishments can be trusted. I dub thee a dishonorable gamer. goodnight

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who cares though

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

bike tory posted:

You experienced a hollow victory.

sounds good then

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm playing on Switch so I don't have any achievements.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Please game with honour, everyone.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

who cares though

me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bike tory posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love getting difficult achievements but sometimes a game with lots of fun powers and cool weapons will have an achievement that’s like “beat the game without using any fun powers or cool guns” and those achievements are terrible and they gotta, they just GOTTA stop putting them achievements in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no you don't

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:(

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

bike tory posted:

I hit the wall at the higher Pantheons, the 5-hour completion, and the 100% steel soul. I also used Hive Blood to get through the White Palace.

edit: I guess the old town bug should've been in the middle of the confessional but it's late and I don't have a cheat to do it.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cmon let em do whatever. i know i beat the path of pain legit and i'm happy i did but gently caress it if someone did superman powers and noclip and then doomshotgunned the bugs at the end then more power to em

i plan on beating the pantheons legit with each seal but i'm a mentally diseased crazy person no normal human adult has that kind of time let em play coach