Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

wizzardstaff posted:

My kid mostly only puts on clothes to leave the house, or maybe if she finds a shirt with a cute kitty on it. Pants indoors are pretty much nonexistent.

It's funny because our kid refuses to take her shoes and has a fit if you take them off. But nope yesterday gotta be naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

There was a beautiful time where the toddler was excited to demonstrate that she understood our requests or questions. Then the novelty wore off and she realized ‘no’ or silence was also a response.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Eggnogium posted:

Yay I love that stage. One of the best parts about reaching this level of communication is you can start bargaining.

“Can you sit down in your car seat and then we can listen to Stompy the Bear?”

Doesn’t work every time but super useful for getting them to cooperate with little things they hate.

Haha that never worked with mine. Only now, at approaching three years old, can she take a bargain like that. Unless her mind is already set, of course, then it's still gonna be no, no matter what carrot I offer.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My three month old laughed for the first time last night. It surprised both him and us (I think he laughed because we were laughing at a joke and he got excited?) and yes, that is definitely one of the best things that has happened to me in my life.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

illcendiary posted:

My three month old laughed for the first time last night. It surprised both him and us (I think he laughed because we were laughing at a joke and he got excited?) and yes, that is definitely one of the best things that has happened to me in my life.

Baby humor is awesome, once they start laughing at stuff you just keep encouraging it. Our kid started laughing at sneezes for some reason so now we’re always doing fake sneezes at him. He thinks it’s the height of comedy.

Lots of tickles and raspberries!

We got the dogs groomed and for some reason seeing his buddies go from long hair to short hair just cracked our 10 month old up. He couldn’t stop laughing at these little skinny dogs after their haircut.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

We have a video of our baby, who was probably around 6 months old at the time, just absolutely cracking up at me smacking the top of a plastic tub. It’s one of my all time favorite videos, no idea why he found that funny but it’s amazing.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

rear end in a top hat refused to eat dinner. Woke up screaming hungry like 10 times last night.

We loving told him to eat or he would be hungry. So tired.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My kid officially discovered the root of expectation-based humor when she found it was hilarious to intentionally fit puzzle pieces together wrong.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My baby loves it when we pretend to snack on him. Nomming on fingers and toes. Baby laughter is really one of the best things ever! He also loves tormenting our elderly pug by ramming her with his walker. Trying to discourage that behavior of course.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Our youngest thinks the pinnacle of humor is laughing at him. So I'll fake-laugh at him, he'll fake laugh back and before you know it we're both belly laughing at each other.

Unless he's being pissy. Then he just makes a displeased noise and looks away and pouts.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So apparently we missed the boat on birthday parties? Is 4 the "big deal" birthday party thing or something? Or is this just some sort of localized peer pressure thing?

Everyone in our daughter's day care class is doing parties. We didn't do one for our daughter's 4th because of covid (though by the time we knew we were supposed to it was late...). We skipped 2 already because of covid, but those were at the local delta variant peak and infection numbers in our area are going down and might be OK for the next 3.

What's protocol for these things? I mean, a gift for the kid sure... but for things where it's at a big play place/whatever, is there an expectation to hand cash over to the parents? I have no clue how expensive it is to rent these places out and provide cake/food/whatever... don't want to walk away not contributing.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 28, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Some of those places are pretty expensive to rent, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to give me cash if I had a birthday party there…just a present should suffice. It’s not like you decided to throw the party there.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I hear kids love getting NFTs, so there's a quick birthday present option for you.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

DaveSauce posted:

So apparently we missed the boat on birthday parties? Is 4 the "big deal" birthday party thing or something? Or is this just some sort of localized peer pressure thing?

Everyone in our daughter's day care class is doing parties. We didn't do one for our daughter's 4th because of covid (though by the time we knew we were supposed to it was late...). We skipped 2 already because of covid, but those were at the local delta variant peak and infection numbers in our area are going down and might be OK for the next 3.

What's protocol for these things? I mean, a gift for the kid sure... but for things where it's at a big play place/whatever, is there an expectation to hand cash over to the parents? I have no clue how expensive it is to rent these places out and provide cake/food/whatever... don't want to walk away not contributing.

I have never paid for admission or reimbursement to a bday party. Thatd be weird as poo poo to ask for as a host. We threw a "big" party this year at a minigolf place to sort of make up for last years covid bday and since this is bay area, it was stupid expensive. We still had 0 expectations for guests beyond showing up and letting the kids be party goblins. Just make sure if you RSVP yes that you show up or warn them if something changes because packages tend to charge per kid.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The one thing parents will try to do is offload their kids on you for the party. Which is OK if they're like 10, less so if they're 5 or 6.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

One of our neighbors recently had a birthday party for their 5yo and it just rubbed me the wrong way. Seemed much more like a kid's birthday was merely an excuse for adults to get torn up. There was a keg.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Shifty Pony posted:

There was a keg.

:aaaaa:

I had not even imagined the possibility.

Parents with a hidden drinking problem, I imagine?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My kid has some nasty stomach bug from daycare and now so do I. I’ve been covered in vomit for an inordinate amount of time for the past two days. I just want to die.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
living the thread title life, our nicely snuggled baby with pjs and a sleep sack managed to fill both with just ungodly amounts of poo poo this morning, to the point where we had to hose her down in the sink.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Or just from Wisconsin.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

:aaaaa:

I had not even imagined the possibility.

One of them definitely has a problem but other guests were hitting it as well. At like 3:30 in the afternoon. We were pretty deeply uncomfortable.

:sigh: I hope the kid likes the Lego set we got him. i was pretty jealous ngl.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shifty Pony posted:

One of our neighbors recently had a birthday party for their 5yo and it just rubbed me the wrong way. Seemed much more like a kid's birthday was merely an excuse for adults to get torn up. There was a keg.

That’s a new one. How many people? Like a full keg or pony keg?

Our bday party was at 10 am so drinking wasn’t even on the radar. However a coworker had a party for his girl the same day in the afternoon and he said a few moms asked for wine and then everyone started drinking wine.

I’ve also seen at an indoor jungle gym place around me that they sell wine and beer.

I’ve been to one birthday party where they had some coolers of beer to grab a drink. That’s fine. I think a keg is pretty overboard though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

You'll blend in perfectly with these!

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Benagain posted:

living the thread title life, our nicely snuggled baby with pjs and a sleep sack managed to fill both with just ungodly amounts of poo poo this morning, to the point where we had to hose her down in the sink.

Seriously, it was like unwrapping the world's worst tamale.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Our daughter unilaterally decided she was going to wear big girl underwear to bed last night instead of a pull-up. Put some towels under her sheets but over her waterproof pad, impressed on her to use the potty either in the hall or the training one in her room before she fell aslerp. Stockpiled a change of pjs and a pull up in our room for when the inevitable happened, then went to sleep.

Woke up at 1.30 to her crying in our room, assumed the worst. But, nope, she was just thirsty and complained about her foot hurting. Dealt with all that, made her use the potty again, she fell asleep in our bed.

Woke up to a completely dry bed and a very slerpy 5yo complaining that she didn't have to go potty when i carried her to our toilet, where-upon she pissed like a race horse.

I am shocked by how proud i am that she did that.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My toddler is currently over hyped from too much Halloween excitement and is bouncing off the walls. Pray for bedtime to go ok.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Benagain posted:

Read this post to my wife last night and, in our hubris, we laughed because we had not had to deal with something like this with our son.

This morning...this morning was horrible to behold

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

illcendiary posted:

we just got the first "shrieking with happiness" laugh from just holding his hands. It is much more fun than the shrieking of sadness, which happened in the tub an hour before.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I didn’t sleep well last night and it’s a miserable rainy day out. So I took our toddler to the local science museum. She had a blast until it was time to leave. Then she did a full body shrieking tantrum.

Had to just put her under my arm and cart her out. It was pretty embarrassing. I’m so frustrated and disappointed. When it comes to outings, it feels like no good deed goes unpunished.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Dobbs_Head posted:

I didn’t sleep well last night and it’s a miserable rainy day out. So I took our toddler to the local science museum. She had a blast until it was time to leave. Then she did a full body shrieking tantrum.

Had to just put her under my arm and cart her out. It was pretty embarrassing. I’m so frustrated and disappointed. When it comes to outings, it feels like no good deed goes unpunished.

Everyone there wasn’t judging you, they were recalling the dozen instances where they were the ones with the shrieking child and were praying that it didn’t happen when they tried to leave. There’s solidarity among the bomb squad.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

The full body shrieking tantrum is the end of every park outing for us. Car rides home are real fun!

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Yeah I stopped being embarrassed on the 60th time where just getting off an escalator triggered total meltdown.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The 17mo just cleaned off the end table.

Now he's pouring water out onto it then wiping it up because he ran out of messes to clean.

:wtc:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think my most "Hoping the ground opens up under me" meltdown was the one time I got to deal with security at a store because I had to haul my son out bodily while he just full on lost it. He was about 9 or 10 at the time and apparently it looked like I was kidnapping him, so that was fun.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We try to tell our son to be happy it happened and not sad it's over but um yeah so far hes not been very philosophical about it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Our son had a growth spurt over night.

We realized this when he banged his head on a thing that a day or so ago he just barely could walk under. So now we're having to relearn the new forbidden zones on the counters and table because his noodly arms can reach further.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Took the baby to an outdoor safari and pumpkin patch and he got to pet a kangaroo. He also got to pet a sloth but he was a little too overwhelmed and hid his face instead.

Very happy guy during the tour, lots of crying on the drive back home.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Kid’s stomach bug officially hit all of us over the weekend. Taking care of a sick kid while both parents are also sick sure is something. At least the vomiting has been staggered between the three of us.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Took my kids to a Halloween thing at the zoo, my daughter enthusiastically yelling TRICK OR TREAT and bouncing around every single time was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. She had her very first sucker and it was the greatest thing that ever happened in her whole life. MAMA YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS IT’S SOOOOO DELICIOUS!!! Baby slept the whole time which was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

nachos posted:

Kid’s stomach bug officially hit all of us over the weekend. Taking care of a sick kid while both parents are also sick sure is something. At least the vomiting has been staggered between the three of us.

Same here this weekend. We had driven to the in-laws to do an all cousin Halloween event, but last night my wife and I got sick. Our daughter is fine, though, so I'm really thankful that the grandparents stepped up, because all I could do was my my way to the bathroom every 15 minutes. Not sure how we would have done it with a healthy daughter and sick parents. Probably put on Peppa Pig for the duration of the day.