Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

buffalo all day posted:

making Min non-binary would have been an interesting way to have one of the main actors have a non-heterosexual relationship. Maybe they can cast faile as a dude.

Perrin is a wolfbrother, not a bearbrother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

we come :vince:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

I'm guessing nobody is gonna be birched either :ohdear:

Given that there's the whole "Egwene Endures" thing where she wins the respect of the Tower Aes Sedai by enduring the torments that Elaida orders, I wonder if they're going to scale UP Egwene's torment from continual spankings to something like Power Torture or whippings or something.

Rarity posted:

Mat is pansexual fight me

And that right there is a good way to solve Mat in Ebou Dar. Make it so it's not that creepy relationship with Tylin but that Mat and Beslan get into a relationship that keeps Mat in Ebou Dar for so long.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

67-page epic spanking montage becomes 3-episode epic spanking montage

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the manetheren spankological protocol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jng2058 posted:

And that right there is a good way to solve Mat in Ebou Dar. Make it so it's not that creepy relationship with Tylin but that Mat and Beslan get into a relationship that keeps Mat in Ebou Dar for so long.

The Mat/Tylin dynamic really should stay in because media never highlights female-on-male rape

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

make galad gay imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

no you're right, I'm old and still working on updating my language, that's on me

you're fine, functionally there's not really much difference unless you run into someone who wants to be revisionist and make it a problem. it's entirely just a case about being respectful of someone's preference

also chances are they're going to focus mostly on giving egwene a bunch of chores and whatever as the main focus of her imprisonment, maybe with lashings with the power thrown in that would probably hammer in the inhumane treatment and get people on her side more

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"doing chores" sure does consume a lot of page count in WoT.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

its like real life

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Data Graham posted:

how else are they going to browbeat the novices into being emotionally stunted and unquestioning of the frequently incompetent decisions of the ones being influenced by the black ajah

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Rarity posted:

The Mat/Tylin dynamic really should stay in because media never highlights female-on-male rape

Mat/Tylen and then Lan/Mel should both be left as written. Honestly, neither Mat nor Lan are great choices for representation flag flying. They’re busy being trauma victims, playing Odin/mentor, and beating up jackasses.

Maybe just balance the supporting cast representation so you can have happy non-cis/het people on screen regularly instead of having the token representation in a lead. The leads are pretty routinely miserable.

Anias fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 29, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How else are they going to illustrate that they are just like the Aiel with their toh system while firmly claiming that they are nothing like them

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Anias posted:

Mat/Tylen and then Lan/Mel should both be left as written. Honestly, neither Mat nor Lan are great choices for representation flag flying. They’re busy being trauma victims, playing Odin/mentor, and beating up jackasses.

Don't get me wrong, Lan is awesome, but as a mentor he's toxic masculinity personified. He teaches Rand how to fight with a sword and that it's his duty to bear all his burdens alone. There's a scene in Winters Heart where they explicitly talk about how their failings as men have led them to be with the ones they love even though they should be carrying their duties without hurting those around them with their presence.

It's one thing to say that it's important to keep Lan as-is because getting rid of all the garbage that he dumps on Rand is one of the most central aspects of the most important plotline of the series (and if this is what you meant, then preach), it's entirely another to say Sword Man fight good, Sword Man mentor good.

Gambor fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 29, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Data Graham posted:

67-page epic spanking montage becomes 3-episode epic spanking montage

Just do a split screen for a few episodes where some part of the screen is always showing her getting spanked while other characters do things, it's what Jordan would of wanted.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Gambor posted:

Don't get me wrong, Lan is awesome, but as a mentor he's toxic masculinity personified. He teaches Rand how to fight with a sword and that it's his duty to bear all his burdens alone. There's a scene in Winters Heart where they explicitly talk about how their failings as men have led them to be with the ones they love even though they should be carrying their duties without hurting those around them with their presence.

It's one thing to say that it's important to keep Lan as-is because getting rid of all the garbage that he dumps on Rand is one of the most central aspects of the most important plotline of the series (and if this is what you meant, then preach), it's entirely another to say Sword Man fight good, Sword Man mentor good.

I literally meant lan’s bullshit is important, while not being a positive look for traditionally marginalized people, and not that he’s somehow right. Also your quote caught the autocorrect error I had to edit. Bleh.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think I'd personally prefer that the show keep Rand's relationship with the ladies as it is in the book and not force it into some kind of polyamorous polycule thing, but the wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Totally down for bisexual Mat, that seems like a solid fit for the character.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just hope Aviendha is a smokeshow

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Anias posted:

I literally meant lan’s bullshit is important, while not being a positive look for traditionally marginalized people, and not that he’s somehow right. Also your quote caught the autocorrect error I had to edit. Bleh.

Cool. It's shocking to me how nobody ever mentions that Lan's well meaning bullshit is arguably the root of the "I must be a hard man" garbage that is the thing Rand has to get over for most of the series. Also, I updated my quote.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hexel posted:

I just hope Aviendha is a smokeshow

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They did well with the Daughter-Heir of Andor so I have hope

https://twitter.com/ThatDarkRogue/status/1453853982665977858

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gambor posted:

Cool. It's shocking to me how nobody ever mentions that Lan's well meaning bullshit is arguably the root of the "I must be a hard man" garbage that is the thing Rand has to get over for most of the series. Also, I updated my quote.

They do both grow through and out of it. There is a bit of a parallel with their growth through the books, just Lan gets there faster.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

seaborgium posted:

They do both grow through and out of it. There is a bit of a parallel with their growth through the books, just Lan gets there faster.

To be fair, Lan isn't slowly growing mad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/lynx_time/status/1454131311887650817?s=20

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Heh, Perrin's got a wolf motif going on with the weave around him and Mat is the only one free from being wrapped in the One Power.

Not sure what the egg thing around Rand is supposed to be hinting at.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

And if you open them all up in photoshop and put them together:

I see what you did there, WoT.

"Please circle the Dragon Reborn who hurt you...."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Heh, Perrin's got a wolf motif going on with the weave around him and Mat is the only one free from being wrapped in the One Power.

Not sure what the egg thing around Rand is supposed to be hinting at.

the eye of the dark one on him? i honestly can't remember if that's an expression in the books like i think or if i'm just conflating the obvious 'eye of sauron' similarity

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jng2058 posted:

I see what you did there, WoT.

"Please circle the Dragon Reborn who hurt you...."

Was about to post that. Those look really neat. The ad campaign recently was really strong, I'm super excited to watch the first three episodes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Or the fact that he feels essentially trapped by fate until he learns to accept it, or the literal cage of the One Power he faces later on?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think the colors for the woman (present and future) Aes Sedai are the same as their ultimate Ajahs?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It's cute, because the pics are ambiguous enough that it doesn't necessarily pick out Rand as the Dragon Reborn if you don't already know, but for book readers putting Rand dead center and circled is a fun wink and a nod to "we know who it is, you know who it is, but the newbies don't know yet!"

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think the colors for the woman (present and future) Aes Sedai are the same as their ultimate Ajahs?

Nah, the prism is around Nynaeve, Egwene has yellow, and Moiraine has red.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rand's egg mirrors the cage we've seen Logain in so its hinting they're the same, that's what I see anyway :shobon:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maybe it's supposed to be a dragon egg.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

It's cute, because the pics are ambiguous enough that it doesn't necessarily pick out Rand as the Dragon Reborn if you don't already know, but for book readers putting Rand dead center and circled is a fun wink and a nod to "we know who it is, you know who it is, but the newbies don't know yet!"

especially since the main posters don't show those weaves -- you can only pick them out if you open up the images in photoshop and turn on the layers.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
By the way, on the topic of first appearance of the Aiel, they themselves weren't seen in book 1 (discounting Rand, of course), but even the first few chapters of the book had Tam's famous "they came over the Dragonwall like a flood" rumblings, and people "confusing" Rand for an Aiel, and the story of the dying Aiel warning about the Eye of the World, etc. They've been built up from the very start of the series, even when RJ wasn't even sure that there'd be a sequel to book 1.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

especially since the main posters don't show those weaves -- you can only pick them out if you open up the images in photoshop and turn on the layers.

Wait, I missed that. They released them in PSD format?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Torrannor posted:

By the way, on the topic of first appearance of the Aiel, they themselves weren't seen in book 1 (discounting Rand, of course), but even the first few chapters of the book had Tam's famous "they came over the Dragonwall like a flood" rumblings, and people "confusing" Rand for an Aiel, and the story of the dying Aiel warning about the Eye of the World, etc. They've been built up from the very start of the series, even when RJ wasn't even sure that there'd be a sequel to book 1.

I like the theory that this Aiel from the trailer is actually the show opener with the Battle of the Shining Walls and Tam finding and taking Rand.

Rosamund had said on her dusty wheel call-in that the opener had been re-shot and somebody cooked up the theory that this new spring content will be the opener.

I also read somewhere that the EOTW prologue will be in episode 4 but who even knows at this point :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe it's supposed to be a dragon egg.

At least its not a box :stonk: