Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Cleave is an injoke for editors and they shouldn't have let it go with that name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah it has a bad name and feels out of place for Innistrad.

Like if they called it REDACT and had it be a Dimir card, or on Kaladesh, or the setting that Conspiracy is on, it'd be a much better fit.

If I was in charge, and wanted to make it vaguely fit Innistrad, what with the ones we've seen being paying more to remove a [limitation], something like "Unseal" could work, flavoured as people ripping the protective wards off of ancient powerful magic. Although that works better for vaguely-lovecraft Innistrad than for vampire Innistrad

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mike N Eich posted:

Has there ever been a red aggro deck that wanted a time warp effect like that to just give themselves an extra combat phase/opportunity to cast burn to finish off opponents or is that just way too niche?

Chance for glory was in a sideboard at MC 5
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23371&d=361200&f=ST

Beyond that, Final Fortune was a fun-of one-of in a 1997 block PT?
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9164&d=252421&f=BL

The hard part about these types of cards is that you have to be in a position on the board to win next turn, but the card itself doesn't actually get you to that position so it's a weird Win More that serves no other effect.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, outside of standard 2 mana for final fortune is usually too much when you'd rather just have a lightning bolt or a monastery swiftspear, because your board presence t3 isn't usually strong enough to warrant burning that mana to get another attack step and draw. I think you'd have to represent 4-5 damage on board for it to be worthwhile, and even then only as a 1-2 of. In standard it would never be worth it over a way to clear out a blocker or two.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's probably Cleave because

The Bible posted:

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh

So related to weddings except not in any way that makes sense for the mechanic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jabor posted:

Lol at playing discard spells in the Foretell meta though.
I dunno, I've been doing pretty well with my monoblack discard deck.

Go Blank really messes with people, especially the sorts who use Memory Deluge. Inscription of Ruin actually is pretty nice when kicked, you can get three discards out of it if you have an elderfang disciple or acquisitions expert in the yard.

foretell is a pain in the rear end but the deck has done pretty well against the various epiphany decks. one that I lost recently, I had them on the ropes and they god drew epiphany, epiphany, memory deluge, epiphany. was just barely enough to peck me to death, I didn't draw any of my sweepers. but man, meathook massacre is such a satisfying card to drop on turn 4 or 5 when monogreen or monowhite has filled the board with weenies.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Am I just not thinking or are non-intervening if clauses new or at lease highly unusual?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Am I just not thinking or are non-intervening if clauses new or at lease highly unusual?

The pasted-on font in the textbox suggests that it's an unofficial translation of a card that was spoiled in a non-english language. It's probably a regular intervening-if, whoever did the fan translation just doesn't know the specifics of MTG phraseology.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1454102120261689346

This is most likely good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I didn't realize she was a big enough deal to invite to your vampire wedding

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Welp, first match out with the gimmick deck went well?

Really heavily dependent on getting a good draw though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the regular art way more than the gown version

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

10/10 Planeswalker Names in this set so far

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
That Chandra rules

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

HootTheOwl posted:

I'd probably watch a Bond style movie where the hero has to infiltrate a fancy party, but then there's a From Dusk Till Dawn twist where it's actually Vampire Wedding.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Final Fortune sees some play in CEDH, but has that kind of effect been playable anywhere else? We've seen a few extra turn, lose after spells in Standard over the years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually cast them.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I've been playing a jeskai mutate deck that loops chance for glory in historic, but it's not that good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They're all bad (but sometimes fun) gimmick decks where you avoid the drawback somehow. Lich's Mastery, Sundial of the Infinite, that sort of thing.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

fadam posted:

Final Fortune sees some play in CEDH, but has that kind of effect been playable anywhere else? We've seen a few extra turn, lose after spells in Standard over the years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually cast them.

World championship 1998.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I think Chandra and Kaya are crashing the wedding

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ok this rules

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1454100560320372747

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This rocks. Such a cool design.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

HootTheOwl posted:

How would you even send an invite to a Planeswalker?

Please let there be some kind of postal worker that is also a Planeswalker.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's interesting tension, because you want expensive fatties in your deck to flip him, and some way to get them into the graveyard, but you also want cheaper things that are going to be attacking alongside him on turn 4 and are profitable to copy. (Also, you can't make a deck out of all 6-drops).

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Some kind of Sultai self-mill could be fun

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Jabor posted:

There's interesting tension, because you want expensive fatties in your deck to flip him, and some way to get them into the graveyard, but you also want cheaper things that are going to be attacking alongside him on turn 4 and are profitable to copy. (Also, you can't make a deck out of all 6-drops).

Yeah, it won't be competitive at all.

I'm still gonna build grixis party with Zagras and Shatterskull Minotaur tho.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Voice of the Blessed

Creature - Spirit Cleric

Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on Voice of the Blessed.

As long as Voice of the Blessed has four or more +1/+1 counters, it gains flying and vigilance.

As long as Voice of the Blessed has ten or more +1/+1 counters, it gains indestructible.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Interesting Tension" is almost always a sign the card is brilliantly designed and unplayable.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

lol let's give Alrunds an extra 6/6 or 7/7, as a treat.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know who ain't got no "interesting tension?" That dragon.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
That hellkite is aggro as gently caress.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jabor posted:

(Also, you can't make a deck out of all 6-drops).

Challenge accepted

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think Chandra and Kaya are crashing the wedding
If it doesn't play out like a Blade movie I'll be disappointed.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

What a miserable dragon

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Jesus Christ the mythic dragons they're printing have just been absurd

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cactrot posted:

How would you even send an invite to a Planeswalker?

Please let there be some kind of postal worker that is also a Planeswalker.

The bat is also a planeswalker.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

meanolmrcloud posted:

What a miserable dragon

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Voice of the Blessed

Creature - Spirit Cleric

Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on Voice of the Blessed.

As long as Voice of the Blessed has four or more +1/+1 counters, it gains flying and vigilance.

As long as Voice of the Blessed has ten or more +1/+1 counters, it gains indestructible.

Come to me, better Ajani's pridemate.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The fairest card I'm going to lose to the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That dragon is a definite limited bomb and also seems really good in standard