Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't think there is any price point where they would yield based on finances. Is there even a way out for them without losing massive face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As far as I’ve been following this, they had a few - but Polish politicians are extremely adept at burning bridges and slamming every door along the way. In my opinion, Merkel will manage to squeeze a few outs for them before the year is over, in addition to the Polish themselves conceding to dismantle the tribunal a bit prior to the recent Polexit ruling. Fortunately for them, Macron is also being somewhat timid on Poland on grounds of internal domestic political calculus.

If this isn’t resolved peacefully before the French election, it won’t be fun for anyone.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 28, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Merkel is now only acting chancellor until the new one can be voted in. She doesn't even have a seat in parliament anymore. I strongly doubt she will personally do much, that would be improper.

Though of course, Germany isn't completely rudderless (certainly not more than during the past 16 years :v:), and I get the impression that a lot of the other EU countries are collectively utterly sick of Poland's poo poo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Palace intrigue in Brussels about this is that Merkel supposedly prides herself in uniting the Europe. Therefore, some are speculating that she’s going to do one last dying breath thing and make Morawiecki and Rutte kiss on lips before she’s on the pension.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Poland, I'm now there since there some public holidays and I didn't want to stay home. Even though I just got back from vacation. Ehm. Anyway, I don't think I've seen a single mask all day. Certainly not outdoors but not indoors either. Pretty bold strategy.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So what is the worst case scenario if everyone gets a chance to get infected? Maybe they count on it not mattering too much..

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Probably covid finally becoming 'just like a flu' - endemic, with yearly vaccines of so-so effectiveness due to a billion variants.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Well, that's heartbreaking to read

https://echo.msk.ru/blog/tv2today/2926874-echo/

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of Poland, I'm now there since there some public holidays and I didn't want to stay home. Even though I just got back from vacation. Ehm. Anyway, I don't think I've seen a single mask all day. Certainly not outdoors but not indoors either. Pretty bold strategy.

My parents know a few people in their social circle who are returning to Poland. One of them apparently believes things are "crumbling" here... in Canada.

Y'know, where overall vaccination in those 12+ is over 80%, and a 7-day rolling average of about 365 new cases in a province of almost 14 million.

Unsurprisingly, almost all of them are unvaccinated, too. Every time my parents watch the weekly broadcast about the local Polish-Canadian community on Saturday mornings, they'll show some mass for something-or-other at one of the churches, and maybe 50% are wearing masks properly, with the rest just below the nose, or on the chin.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Honest question, why the hell is it that the EU thinks this fine is a good idea? I mean polexit is already a named concept. Without Poland the EU is even more under threat. While not a huge contributor to anything Poland still stands to become another UK and make the EUs status lower.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Poland needs the EU waaaaaaay more than the EU needs Poland.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i don't think they actually want to leave the eu. if we did, it'd be 90% pride.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So did the UK and yet.

That said they're welcome to gtfo if they want to continue to be dicks about it

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Honest question, why the hell is it that the EU thinks this fine is a good idea? I mean polexit is already a named concept. Without Poland the EU is even more under threat. While not a huge contributor to anything Poland still stands to become another UK and make the EUs status lower.

EU will do literally anything to protect the legal integrity of the single market. It's the one line they will not let anyone cross without consequences. loving around with the supremacy of EU courts in matters of European law is literally questioning the foundation of the entire union, so the current crop of cryptofascists in Warsaw are getting exactly what they knowingly bargained for.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Literally every country's exit now has a name, you take first few letter from the country's name and append exit.

The better question is, why do you think that the better idea for EU is to just let its members do whatever?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

There aren't exactly a wealth of options for dealing with a state that is disengaging diplomatically and cannot be relied on to follow the treaties it has signed.

Appeasement, however, is absolutely certain not to work.

By the way, Poland is gearing up to make LGBT illegal. Like, all of it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

EU will do literally anything to protect the legal integrity of the single market. It's the one line they will not let anyone cross without consequences. loving around with the supremacy of EU courts in matters of European law is literally questioning the foundation of the entire union, so the current crop of cryptofascists in Warsaw are getting exactly what they knowingly bargained for.

This also has a less “platonic” side. Modern European economy is built upon the fact that a commercial dispute between a German supplier and a Finnish recipient will be treated by a Latvian court to the same standard that they could expect from a Belgian court. A situation where Poland says that it will not comply with ECJ rulings is obviously not helpful here, and if more countries follow the Polish example, we may very well see the entire system collapse. As Western European countries are not really in EU to charitably subsidise Eastern European countries to no advantage of their own, they are thus bound to defend their garden sooner rather than later.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Poland is surrounded by EU countries, plus a Russian exclave, everyone's favorite dictatorship in Belarus, and a country that probably would join the EU (but realistically never will) in Ukraine. The Polish economy is also much more integrated with the overall EU economy than the UK ever was, they are one of the biggest net receivers of EU money, in contrast to the UK which paid quite a bit more into EU funds than it got out, and Poland also doesn't have it's own currency. The Brits halfway successfully left the EU, though not without some quite big problems, but Poland's economy would probably melt down if they were to leave the European Union.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Torrannor posted:

Poland is surrounded by EU countries, plus a Russian exclave, everyone's favorite dictatorship in Belarus, and a country that probably would join the EU (but realistically never will) in Ukraine. The Polish economy is also much more integrated with the overall EU economy than the UK ever was, they are one of the biggest net receivers of EU money, in contrast to the UK which paid quite a bit more into EU funds than it got out, and Poland also doesn't have it's own currency. The Brits halfway successfully left the EU, though not without some quite big problems, but Poland's economy would probably melt down if they were to leave the European Union.

Which won't stop certain people from trying to leave. If economic collapse, political isolation and exposing the country to more Russian influence are the price for keeping The Gays and women in their place then so be it..

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

and Poland also doesn't have it's own currency.

This bit is false. Poland never introduced euro and still uses złoty.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Poland has own currency. Also it's different from UK in that a vote would be overwhelmingly in favour of remain. So ruling assholes need to get creative. We used to think PiS is simply infiltrated by Russian agents, but over time it's more likely that all those problems are various minor leaders trying to grab some favour of Kaczyński. And it looks like he completely lost touch with reality.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

How would they go about doing this?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

How would they go about doing this?

Beatings will continue until morals improve

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It’s more a proposal for a law codifying the christian approach to lgbt, i.e. yeah, be gay but I don’t want to hear or see NOTHING about this.

You know, like in Russia.

Poland under pis in general has the above words as the primary rule to follow.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

The law would ban public assemblies that “promote”, among other things, “sexual orientations other than heterosexuality”, the idea of non-biological gender, same-sex marriage or civic partnerships, or the adoption of children by same-sex couples.

The bill was presented by Krzysztof Kasprzak on behalf of the foundation. In his speech, he described the LGBT movement as “totalitarian”, and compared it to communism and fascism as it “seeks to topple the natural order and introduce terror”, reports Onet.

“The first homosexual commando arose in the 1930s in Nazi Germany. Hitler deliberately surrounded himself with homosexual activists,” he said in his speech.

Tag urself, I'm the homosexual commando in the combat gays' onslaught.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 29, 2021

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Commando is THE gay movie.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Tag urself, I'm the homosexual commando in the combat gays' onslaught.

You gotta hand it to them, Homosexual Terror is a really good username

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Antigravitas posted:

big gender is banned energy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Commando is THE gay movie.

Have to admit it's harder to be gayer than this

Poland btw is the only place where I've seen an anti-lgbt protest. Not some assholes getting mad at a pride parade, but just protesting the gays in a middle of the main square in Wroclaw.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Lol Russia tried to bully Moldova into giving up the EU partnership agreement, paying Pridniestrovie's debt and debundling of the gas market for a long-term gas contract

A few million cubic meters bought from Poland and Romania and they folded to a price tied to the global market and an audit of the debt lmao

Maia-chan strong

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

Beatings will continue until morals improve

:pusheen:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

alex314 posted:

Poland has own currency. Also it's different from UK in that a vote would be overwhelmingly in favour of remain.

Are you sure that would still be the case after a six-month disinformation campaign across all media? Like in the UK?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Are you sure that would still be the case after a six-month disinformation campaign across all media? Like in the UK?

Poland has a competent opposition, whereas Corbyn was pro-Brexit. Main Polish opposition party, lead by Donald Tusk, has surged from 15% to 25% in polls in the span of 4 month by just repeating “Polexit”, and the elections are far from close.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland has a competent opposition

Uhhhhh, if this is supposed to be competent then we are doomed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

Uhhhhh, if this is supposed to be competent then we are doomed.

Compared to the UK’s Labour Party of the last half a dozen years or so, that is. Although I am a Tusk believer in general, so I’d wager that at least KO is above average for what a generic European political opposition is like.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, “lesser evil” Tusk is acceptable, “forever-Merkel-Tusk” less so. With the horrid state the Polish left is in, I guess it’s absolutely the best I can hope for in my lifetime anyway.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland has a competent opposition, whereas Corbyn was pro-Brexit.

Only after Leave had won the referendum. This is like saying Hillary Clinton was Pro-Trump because she didn't continue to try to be President after she lost the election.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
From all I've seen, Corbyn was *wink* pro-remain*wink-wink*

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Weird how his party voted 63% remain while he campaigned for remain then

The pro-Brexit parties were UKIP, conservatives and Plaid Cymru and the anti-Brexit parties were Green, liberal democrats, SNP and Labour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Labour’s official stance was that they’re pro-Remain, I’m not disputing that.

Corbyn’s personal stance was consistently supportive of Britain’s departure, and general Euroscepticism, however, specifically due to him being concerned about future of space communism in Europe more than the machinations of ERG-helmed Tories. As in, his hubris was to deem Brexit a righteous sacrifice for the betterment of the leftist movement on the continent, which supposedly would’ve otherwise been held back by Britain. This was very obvious through the entire Remain campaign, which was “surprisingly” delayed compared to Leave dialling to 11, and did very little to assuage observers’ concerns about the Labour Party being warring mess of feuding factions.

Pretending that there wasn’t a noteworthy leftist contingent in U.K. that supported Brexit, even if for different reasons than the ERG-UKIP brigade, is silly.

While this is hardly the least biased source possible, you can refresh your memory here: https://www.markpack.org.uk/153744/jeremy-corbyn-brexit/