Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If your answer is "lurk more" then it sounds like you agree with everything probably magic said, you just don't agree that it's a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Deteriorata posted:

The answer to this is "lurk before posting." Get a feel for what the forum is like before you jump in.

Any set of rules will be tolerated as long as they are useful rules that promote the desired posting atmosphere. The sports forums backing down on rivals puns is a great disappointment. It was in important tool for keeping discussions civil and minimizing shitposting. I guess they prefer more of that, now.

I'm indifferent, I could certainly live without them, I could live with the occasional one. (If it became obsessive, I'd hope the mods would crack down.) Like, I believe the criteria was, "If it's funny, I won't punish," which is where a lot of the forums are at... and then we're going to have the one forum that punishes for Onion tweets. I realize each forum conforms to their users, but also, over and over again, the forum has to conform a bit to the rest of the site as well. If it doesn't, well, there's going to be more QCS threads, and they're not all going to come from the rival politics forums. It's going to come across as overly exclusive.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

If your answer is "lurk more" then it sounds like you agree with everything probably magic said, you just don't agree that it's a problem

Basically, yes. Rules define the posting space. People need to understand that before they jump in. If people are intimidated by the rules but find the posting interesting, they should just read for a while to get a feel for it. That tends to solve most of the issue. Changing the rules changes the posting space, and doesn't necessarily improve it for everyone already there.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Clearly falling on deaf ears here, but the usual suspects coming out to say they want harsher punishment for their posting enemies is just exacerbating the problem this forum already has.

The fact that the (increasingly long) list of forum/threadbanned folks' venn diagram does not include a single one of you clowns that posted rape apologia, and that are happily still posting away today and in this thread, is a damning indictment of the moderation of this forum.

You can be a vile human being, just don't post rudely to the centrists, intermittently, or get ramped!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kaedric posted:

Clearly falling on deaf ears here, but the usual suspects coming out to say they want harsher punishment for their posting enemies is just exacerbating the problem this forum already has.

The fact that the (increasingly long) list of forum/threadbanned folks' venn diagram does not include a single one of you clowns that posted rape apologia, and that are happily still posting away today and in this thread, is a damning indictment of the moderation of this forum.

You can be a vile human being, just don't post rudely to the centrists, intermittently, or get ramped!

Did you miss this?

fool of sound posted:

Ok, all the mods and admins are in agreement that casting aspersions on accusers is unacceptable. In theory this has been the policy for almost two years now, but some stuff has slipped by, and we'll make an effort to be more vigilant about it. This isn't to say that this is an automatic permaban, but it's an automatic harsh probe and/or a ban. We can't stop people from believing this in their hearts, but we can stop them from posting about it. However this is an issue:

This framework would mean that any response to the question "how can you vote for Joe Biden in the face of Tara Reade's accusation?" is bannable as rape apologism. Vocally disbelieving Reade is bannable under the general "do not cast aspersions on accusers" rule, as is believing her account but arguing that, under their personal moral calculus, other matters won out. This isn't a theoretical catch-22 either, the hesitancy to formally ban it in the 2020 primary thread was in large part due to people doing just this, and I strongly suspect that these calls make a lot of posters who would otherwise participate in the MeToo thread hesitant to do so.

This isn't just a D&D issue either; I don't think the games mods would be super happy about calls to ban everyone who still plays WoW for 'supporting rape' or similar, nor would CD mods probably allow liking Kevin Spacey's acting in K-Pax to be called rape apologism. Obviously these aren't a 1:1 comparison for a number of reasons, the point is that lots of wealthy and powerful people are awful, and acting in a way that benefits them is not the same thing as supporting them.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

enki42 posted:

My impression of GE vs. Polliwonks was less Bernie supporters vs. Biden supporters. Bernie was probably pretty popular with both camps. It ranged from rejecting electoralism to Bernie as a compromise on the GE side, and ranged from Bernie supporters to Biden as a compromise in Polliwonks.

It also was because literally there was no place to effectively talk about the campgain or the polling of any state. The ge thread was a trash fire that actively screamed at people attempting to discuss nuances and things related to what was going on. It was focused on ideology and not on anything substantial going on with the actual election at that point. Polliwonks had heavy rules that it wasn't going to be a second election thread and it stayed fairly consistent to only focusing on what was going on in the polls, the ground team (with many goons actively relaying stuff from their volunteering) and on what the possible route to victory or poll deficits were.

The issue and idea that it was a separate Biden friendly zone is dumb, the regulars there wanted to talk reality and what was occuring not relitigate the same arguments infinitely or rehash Clinton hosed Bernie for the 1000th time. You effectively could not discuss anything in the ge thread because it was shouted down as worthless because Biden wasn't the candidate who would win and gently caress him he hosed over Bernie. An ideology thread honestly can't support factual discussion, especially when any attempt is drowned out by the current derail of people mad about some mod slight

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

While I think that is a good thing going forward, that does not change the fact that people who have already posted rape apologia are still here, and still will be here, unpunished. The message, to them, is simply don't post about the topic anymore.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kaedric posted:

While I think that is a good thing going forward, that does not change the fact that people who have already posted rape apologia are still here, and still will be here, unpunished. The message, to them, is simply don't post about the topic anymore.

As stated, we failed on some of those, but a lot of them have been punished, and a lot of the worst offenders no longer post here of their own volition. Also as stated, impugning an accuser's character isn't an automatic permaban. People are allowed to return and post after serving their time provided they refrain from making the same mistakes repeatedly.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Probably Magic posted:

I'm indifferent, I could certainly live without them, I could live with the occasional one. (If it became obsessive, I'd hope the mods would crack down.) Like, I believe the criteria was, "If it's funny, I won't punish," which is where a lot of the forums are at... and then we're going to have the one forum that punishes for Onion tweets. I realize each forum conforms to their users, but also, over and over again, the forum has to conform a bit to the rest of the site as well. If it doesn't, well, there's going to be more QCS threads, and they're not all going to come from the rival politics forums. It's going to come across as overly exclusive.

I think your idea around "if it became obsessive" is where the rubber meets the road on this, though. Reality has been outpacing the Onion for years now, so (a) retweeting the Onion stopped being novel--let alone reliably funny--a long time ago, and (b) unless the mods want USNews to feature daily retweets of the Onion headlines (in multiple waves, no less, because some goons are going to miss the first iteration and yet still feel compelled to get in on that action), they kind of have to put their collective foot down.

Aegis fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 29, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kaedric posted:

Yes but if we are treating it evenly, as that post requires: We'd also have to punch a whole bunch of people who accused many, many D&D posters of being rape apologists by voting for Biden. It makes more sense to reset the clock and treat it evenly than go back and start hitting people for their past actions.

This also aligns to us wanting to possible reset thread/forumbans.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CommieGIR posted:

Yes but if we are treating it evenly, as that post requires: We'd also have to punch a whole bunch of people who accused many, many D&D posters of being rape apologists by voting for Biden. It makes more sense to reset the clock and treat it evenly than go back and start hitting people for their past actions.

This also aligns to us wanting to possible reset thread/forumbans.

Lol this literally turned my stomach, literally nausea inducing irl here. I'm sorry the job of keeping the space free of rape apologists is too difficult for you. Maybe if FoS asks a few dozen more times for assault survivors to write you some more essays on why and how what you're doing protects the worst and creepiest people and makes the forum a safe space for misogyny and rape culture, you'll finally understand. Here's hoping.

E: really, you and the mod team in d&d general have been extremely consistent in the carelessness with which you handle one of the most sensitive topics. It makes it insanely difficult to extend the assumption of good faith to you guys, because when it's a topic that affects you directly it's the easiest thing in the world to get action taken on. When it's sexual assault you let people do whatever, and then you punish people for getting upset over it. Real sick.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 29, 2021

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

fool of sound posted:

As stated, we failed on some of those, but a lot of them have been punished, and a lot of the worst offenders no longer post here of their own volition. Also as stated, impugning an accuser's character isn't an automatic permaban. People are allowed to return and post after serving their time provided they refrain from making the same mistakes repeatedly.

Although I obviously want harsher punishments for this particular issue for various reasons, I understand what you are saying and don't disagree. However, one of the problems I see is the fact that these posters were never the ones that got thread or forum-banned. You cannot tell me that someone like VitalSigns, who is probably one of the best posters on this site, is worth kicking out over (and I'm choosing not to name names) people a-ok with rape as long as it's their guy doing it, just because they frequently disagree and get into arguments with certain posters. Which usually leads to very good discussion, no less!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kaedric posted:

Although I obviously want harsher punishments for this particular issue for various reasons, I understand what you are saying and don't disagree. However, one of the problems I see is the fact that these posters were never the ones that got thread or forum-banned. You cannot tell me that someone like VitalSigns, who is probably one of the best posters on this site, is worth kicking out over (and I'm choosing not to name names) people a-ok with rape as long as it's their guy doing it, just because they frequently disagree and get into arguments with certain posters. Which usually leads to very good discussion, no less!

VitalSigns wasn't kicked out though, he was told to take an extended break from USNews because imo it's better that he be allowed to post well in other threads than repeatedly get probations there. In any case, we're letting his threadban expire as of Monday. As for the others, you're probably right that posting something egregious about abuse should generally include a threadban from the MeToo thread at least.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ram dass in hell posted:

Lol this literally turned my stomach, literally nausea inducing irl here. I'm sorry the job of keeping the space free of rape apologists is too difficult for you. Maybe if FoS asks a few dozen more times for assault survivors to write you some more essays on why and how what you're doing protects the worst and creepiest people and makes the forum a safe space for misogyny and rape culture, you'll finally understand. Here's hoping.

E: really, you and the mod team in d&d general have been extremely consistent in the carelessness with which you handle one of the most sensitive topics. It makes it insanely difficult to extend the assumption of good faith to you guys, because when it's a topic that affects you directly it's the easiest thing in the world to get action taken on. When it's sexual assault you let people do whatever, and then you punish people for getting upset over it. Real sick.

Ram Dass, you need to also understand: Its hard to take any of your criticism to heart given your history of throwing a blanket over D&D posters with statements like this:

ram dass in hell posted:

Many D&D posters are white supremacist fascists who cloak their white supremacist fascist leanings with a veneer of respectability composed of punctuation and word count to obscure the contortions they undergo to justify genocide, colonialism, rape apologia, and so on. Some of them are even reading this post right now!

Stuff like this will be just as punishable as someone trying to deny Tara Reade's claims. That's what the change will be.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CommieGIR posted:

Ram Dass, you need to also understand: Its hard to take any of your criticism to heart given your history of throwing a blanket over D&D posters with statements like this:

Stuff like this will be just as punishable as someone trying to deny Tara Reade's claims. That's what the change will be.

Are you serious? Rape denial in the metoo thread is on even footing with a mean remark in your stupid "blow" thread that hurt your feelings??

Beyond parody. I'm out, which will hopefully make you very happy. No need for a parting shot probe, I'm done here.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

:confused: ... why?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"Just as punishable" isn't quite right, but calling people rape apologists who are not, in fact, doing that is punishable. Like I said in my original post, acting in a way that benefits a powerful rapist isn't the same thing as supporting that person or their actions.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Does this mean it will be explicitly laid out what can and can't be posted here or is it just going to be more vague "don't be an rear end in a top hat" rules?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

One of the major issues with DnD moderation is the same issue we saw over the course of the last 5+ years with Twitter et al dealing with Trumpist bullshit. The old paradigm of staying completely ideologically neutral and only calling balls and strikes breaks down when people start deciding being an rear end in a top hat is part of their ideology. People can always make some sort of strained arguement about how some punished behavior is actually a matter of ideological difference, and as soon as that happens rejecting that arguement becomes taking an ideological stand.

So we run down a rabbit hole of increasingly obscure and numerous rules trying to trap bad actors who keep playing "I'm not touching you" games, because any mod actually exercising personal judgement gets harassed and declared ideological. So we embark on this fools errand of trying to define balls and strikes only to have them turn around in every one of these threads and start complaining about how the mods are issuing all these probes and thread bans on these stupid and obscure rules. Which, without the context of the history of "I'm not touching you" behavior do look silly.

Mods need to be free to exercise some judgement and probe someone for being an rear end in a top hat without having to come up with some strict and exact legal standard about how "democrat party" is banned that will hold up in QCS appeals court. Don't probe people because they said "democrat party" and then try to justify later that people were using the term to troll the thread, probe people for trolling the thread.

I feel like this keeps getting pointed out as a problem, but the only way it ever gets solved is if the mods/IKs are free to exercise some personal judgement without every probe disrupting the thread with people arguing about it, or going to QCS and going through years of post history to find out if anyone ever got away with posting something similar without a probe. Because that is what causes this, if a mod know they're going to be subjected to all this bullshit they're never going to want to push any buttons unless they have an ironclad objective proof of a specific rule violation, which gets us democrat party probes instead of "trolling and being an rear end in a top hat" probes.

6 people piling into a thread to bitch about a probe needs to go back to being punished harshly. Mods should feel like if a whole crew of people invade a thread knowingly violating rules/directives under the guise of "you can't probe us all" they can turn around and in fact probe them all without having to spend a day of drama justifying the original sixer in QCS court. Admins need to react to that stuff with "no gently caress off, you intentionally crashed the thread and got exactly what you dared the mod to do" instead of "hmmm lets entertain 12 pages of drama while we pick apart every sixer this mod has ever given to see if maybe there was anything less than perfect".

Eventually, especially after Jan 6th, a lot of social media platforms finally decided at some level they didn't care if abusive behavior was couched in a political opinion, if your political opinion involves being abusive then it's not welcome here. Mods need to be free to take similar stands, and it's very clear they are not. Whether that is because of lack of admin support I honestly can't say for sure because I'm not privy to those conversations, but that is what it looks like to an outsider. Whatever it is though, nothing will improve as long as moderation is being done with one of the primary motivations being avoiding abuse.

Your avatar speaks volumes about why you posted this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

D&D is supposed to be about debating the words people post, not the people posting them. Ad hominems and appeals to emotion are rhetorical abuses that get in the way of meaningful discussion.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

Does this mean it will be explicitly laid out what can and can't be posted here or is it just going to be more vague "don't be an rear end in a top hat" rules?

I'm fine with enumerating "don't accuse people of heinous stuff unless you're very certain it's true and can prove it". I'm also 100% going to enumerate "don't smear abuse victims period".

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Why was a post from the Blow thread used as an example of actionable content? Was the thread some sort of secret honeypot?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Why was a post from the Blow thread used as an example of actionable content? Was the thread some sort of secret honeypot?

The point there was more "we're not going to go back and action old posts".

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I don't think there's much use in trying to compare posters being threadbanned for violations of one rule and others not being banned for violating a different rule?

If other people want to come up with some scale so we can scientifically determine that one rape-apology is half a genocide-denial or two posting-about-posters or five calling-the-mods-pedos, feel free.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK, this time I am specifically clapping back at the poster: What was your purpose in making this post? Do you have a specific response to anything the OP said? If so, why not post that so we can discuss it (rather than just staring in stupefied wonder at your "sick burn")? If not, what major character defect or irresistable force of nature compelled you to mash the buttons and hit "post"?

What did you think you were contributing to this thread?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

D&D is supposed to be about debating the words people post, not the people posting them. Ad hominems and appeals to emotion are rhetorical abuses that get in the way of meaningful discussion.

So is calling people chuds no longer allowed

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

VitalSigns posted:

So is calling people chuds no longer allowed

Are there chuds posting here?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Your responding to a sincere effort-post with a drive-by personal attack that doesn't address the content in any way speaks volumes about why you disagree with it.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Given that some posters have enough disposable income to spend more on avs than I've ever earned in a two week period, and enough disposable income to give away 10x that amount to other causes at the same time, I'd rather not see avs weaponized. Seems like a fast path to giving rich users an easy way to push out poor ones.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Posting evil poo poo should cop a lot more punishment than posting aggro poo poo.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Kavros posted:

This isn't new knowledge or even a truly post-2016 revelation. It existed beforehand and has no root cause in recent open radicalizations. And people maintaining online spaces have figured out that you have to make a choice between what you think is important. You can only choose efforts to artificially sustain an environment being 'welcoming' to conservative viewpoints, or you can choose efforts to keep an environment being actually inclusive. You can't do both. You also can't not choose; inaction forces an outcome one way or the other.

As an example for how long ago this decision has been one you have to make, you can go back in time towards proposition 8, where forum moderators started discovering that letting people advocate conservative positions in their culture war meant they would openly and vehemently argue against allowing gay people to marry. And if they were given official cover to do so as equally officially supported viewpoints at the table of the 'marketplace of ideas' (or whatever) the inevitable consequence is that gay people would fight back but become quickly tired of places where people were given a safe podium to openly advocate against their humanity and inclusion and attempt to intentionally consign and constrain them to second class citizen status.

I’ll address this part of your post as it’s the part directly relevant to forum moderation. First, anti-gay marriage arguments and the like already violate the bigotry D&D rule that already exists, full stop. Some issues are already considered settled, and in my opinion that’s a good thing. That still leaves a mountain of policies around economics, military use, energy, and tons of other topics that can be on the discussion table.

Second, if you think excluding conservatives is the pathway towards inclusiveness towards women, immigrants, etc - I guess you haven’t been reading much of the forum in the past nine months? The idea’s been proven over and over again - many (possibly most?) on the left don’t actually care about inclusiveness or intersectionalism when the exigencies of power are involved. It’s fine to use those ideas like a club against their political enemies, but the hammer only swings in one direction. It’s bullshit, so please put that yoke on someone else.

Finally, even if you’ve somehow arrived at the juvenile idea that “90% of the people who disagree with me are completely disingenuous”, why be on a debate forum at all? That sounds just plain boring and lifeless - the only real dissent would have to be strawmen imported from outside sources, the only “discussion” would be a weird competition around who can signal they’re more offended. In other words, what USNews has become.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

Posting evil poo poo should cop a lot more punishment than posting aggro poo poo.

Saying something like "If you voted for Joe Biden you support rape" is pretty evil poo poo, and shouldn't be tolerated.

e: It's a cudgel that excises all nuance from the world, boiling morality down to some sort of binary choice between black and white.

How are u fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 29, 2021

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You really need to stop posting in this thread, it's incredibly embarrassing. We once again have a moderator:

-Looking to dismiss a poster's feedback because of an ideological difference
-Equating a poster making a tasteless comparison to posters actually doing rape apologia

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FWIW I agree that accusing people of being rape apologists is not a great idea. It's completely unproveable, you can't read their mind, all it does is piss people off.

Now, of course, you should be able to point out that something they said is rape apologia, which is not the same thing as accusing them of being an apologist. Since that's not an attack on the person, but rather on their words, it gives them the opportunity to admit fault and learn from it. If they choose not to take the opportunity, and react poorly, or have a clear pattern of saying such things, then that should be actionable.

I hope that the mods don't plan to make the latter punishable.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 29, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cow Bell posted:

You really need to stop posting in this thread, it's incredibly embarrassing.

No.

Cow Bell posted:

-Looking to dismiss a poster's feedback because of an ideological difference

Didn't dismiss their feedback? Simply pointed out that under the rule changes we're looking to apply, it would be going foreword rather than going through people's history to determine who needs to be banned/probated, and also pointed out that given their personal feelings about D&D posters expressed openly, they'd likely get hit as well. These are things that we have to flesh out, so might as well bring them up now.

They are upset we are not going back in time to punish posters retroactively, which we will not be doing.

Cow Bell posted:

-Equating a poster making a tasteless comparison to posters actually doing rape apologia

Their post specifically was in response to the idea in the blow zone that anybody who voted Democrat was a rape apologist. How should we deal with that in a thread? Throwing a big blanket over all dem voters or D&D posters versus a single person who was posting about Tara Reade is okay?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It also was because literally there was no place to effectively talk about the campgain or the polling of any state. The ge thread was a trash fire that actively screamed at people attempting to discuss nuances and things related to what was going on. It was focused on ideology and not on anything substantial going on with the actual election at that point. Polliwonks had heavy rules that it wasn't going to be a second election thread and it stayed fairly consistent to only focusing on what was going on in the polls, the ground team (with many goons actively relaying stuff from their volunteering) and on what the possible route to victory or poll deficits were.

The issue and idea that it was a separate Biden friendly zone is dumb, the regulars there wanted to talk reality and what was occuring not relitigate the same arguments infinitely or rehash Clinton hosed Bernie for the 1000th time. You effectively could not discuss anything in the ge thread because it was shouted down as worthless because Biden wasn't the candidate who would win and gently caress him he hosed over Bernie. An ideology thread honestly can't support factual discussion, especially when any attempt is drowned out by the current derail of people mad about some mod slight

See, I had literally the opposite experience. the polliwonks thread felt very detached from the realities of the election. It seemed incredibly focused on who was going to win, but not why winning was important. And that's fine, the horserace was fun to watch and different people are going to want different things from their election threads.

I do disagree that ideologically aligned threads can't support a discussion. I'd argue that even the assertion that an ideological neutrality can exist at all is an ideologically charged statement. Removing political alignments from a political discussion is itself a political move.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

How are u posted:

Saying something like "If you voted for Joe Biden you support rape" is pretty evil poo poo, and shouldn't be tolerated.

e: It's a cudgel that excises all nuance from the world, boiling morality down to some sort of binary choice between black and white.

Nah, they're not equivalent. At the end of the day, saying that supporting a man credibly accused of rape is supporting rape is a reasonable stance to take. It may be impolite to point it out, or a distraction from the topic at hand - aggro posting - but it isn't an evil thing to do. And it's definitely not morally equivalent to making excuses for powerful rapists.

Fister Roboto posted:

FWIW I agree that accusing people of being rape apologists is not a great idea. It's completely unproveable, you can't read their mind, all it does is piss people off.

Now, of course, you should be able to point out that something they said is rape apologia, which is not the same thing as accusing them of being an apologist.

You're right that people should probably say things like "what you are saying is hateful" and not "you are a hateful person," but it doesn't make that big a difference. Nobody is less offended by "what you are saying is rape apologia" than by "you are a rape apologist." The latter is obviously a consequence of the former.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 29, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cease to Hope posted:

Nah, they're not equivalent. At the end of the day, saying that supporting a man credibly accused of rape is supporting rape is a reasonable stance to take. It may be impolite to point it out, or a distraction from the topic at hand - aggro posting - but it isn't an evil thing to do.

No its not. Because that's what has happened. It turns into a big slapfight over "Every dem voter is a rape apologist, therefore all of D&D is likely full of rape apologists and fascists" which is why we're in this problem to begin with. It does not result in any meaningful conversation or discussion, just an endless chum fest of who is worse than whom.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
In general people should be mad that the democratic leadership and media pushed a rapist to the general election and made people feel like they had no other choice but to vote for a rapist.

However in terms of something awful, what really pisses me off is people doing rape apologia like "oh she went to RT, she's just trying to get attention!" (ignoring that she specifically did ask for help from various news orgs who literally directly said "no, we wont go after Joe Biden at all")

I could name names but that would be posting about posters and some of them are in this very thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Now, of course, you should be able to point out that something they said is rape apologia, which is not the same thing as accusing them of being an apologist. Since that's not an attack on the person, but rather on their words, it gives them the opportunity to admit fault and learn from it. If they choose not to take the opportunity, and react poorly, or have a clear pattern of saying such things, then that should be actionable.

I hope that the mods don't plan to make the latter punishable.

Yeah posting "this kind of posting is harmful because X and you shouldn't post it" is fine and will remain fine, within the usual bound of reason. Honestly when approached civilly most people with oblige.