Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm tracking down your quiz master and reporting you for cheating, op.

Oh poo poo :ohdear:
Alright here goes. Please don't bust me. So what game is this card art from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I am pretty drat plugged into board game discourse and media and poo poo. I've seen lots and lots of games go by. I have never seen that image in my entire life and I have no wordily idea what board game it could be for. I am left to assume that you yourself drew that picture and this is some sort of elaborate troll or possibly a marketing campaign for some upcoming ARG.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I need to know what it is so I can avoid it like the plague.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I think its from Puerto Rico

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
No I swear this is an actual quiz question, and an extremely annoyingly obscure one at that. I haven't found anything after hours of looking up every viking-related game in existence. The other two games it was bundled with in the question were both from 2019 (one of them is Similo), that's pretty much the only thing they seem to have in common, if that even matters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone know if the Darkest Dungeon boardgame is good?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

the pledge manager is still live, so...no one's played it yet.

https://gamefound.com/projects/mythic-games/darkest-dungeon-the-board-game#/section/pledges-1996

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

poronty posted:

Kind of reminds me of Smallworld? Maybe one of their twenty thousand expansions?

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember a reviewer saying it replicated the gameplay of the video game in an accurate but very dull way

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ogdred Weary posted:

I remember a reviewer saying it replicated the gameplay of the video game in an accurate but very dull way

Hmm, and it's certainly very expansive.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Video-to-boardgame designers seem to be very good at capturing the grind. Less able to recreate the fun.

e: I have not played Darkest Dungeon. Indeed, the only such game I have played is the Bloodbourne cardgame, which is pretty good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
No Wayne June narrating the gameplay, no deal.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

No Wayne June narrating the gameplay, no deal.

Darkest Dungeon is very much about aesthetics first and gameplay second (not trying to throw shade, it's still a great experience), so a board game that recreates the gameplay accurately is probably not very good.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Mr. Squishy posted:

Video-to-boardgame designers seem to be very good at capturing the grind. Less able to recreate the fun.

But what if the video game is only grind

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Deathlove posted:

Kind of reminds me of Smallworld? Maybe one of their twenty thousand expansions?

Yea that is clearly a dwarf not a viking, op.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

poronty posted:

I'm pretty sure it's from the same artists that did Santorini (may even be a promo god for that?) or the sequel Ragnarocks.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 29, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

poronty posted:

Tiny epic vikings

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
It is missing its left hand, so maybe look at pirate themed games in 2019?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm pretty sure it's from the same artists that did Santorini (may even be a promo god for that?) or the sequel Ragnarocks.

Definitely visually similar but I've played a lot of Santorini and its none of the gods in it or Promo packs. It's in none of the Ragnarocks promo imagery either.

It's going to end up being something really loving obscure.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Just got Anno 1800 to the table for the first time, really enjoyed it.

Huge pain to set up, tho. Anyone have a good storage solution? I might end up doing a custom foamcore which I haven't done in a bit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Definitely visually similar but I've played a lot of Santorini and its none of the gods in it or Promo packs. It's in none of the Ragnarocks promo imagery either.

It's going to end up being something really loving obscure.

yeah i can't find an artist listed for Ragnarocks anywhere but I'm pretty sure it's the same. The details like highlights on hair are all the same.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ojetor posted:

Just got Anno 1800 to the table for the first time, really enjoyed it.

Huge pain to set up, tho. Anyone have a good storage solution? I might end up doing a custom foamcore which I haven't done in a bit.

I got on sale on impulse, having never played the computer game, and I have no clue when I'll ever get to play it.

How is it?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Fellis posted:

Tiny epic vikings

Tiny Epic Tactics looks really close, but I think the characters in TET all have smaller ears and skinnier arms, not like the ham hock our blonde viking is sporting:

xarhtna
Jun 27, 2008

poronty posted:

Pretty sure it's from Flick of Faith

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xarhtna posted:

thats it

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That image has a powerful curse

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

xarhtna posted:

Holy poo poo what a pull

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got on sale on impulse, having never played the computer game, and I have no clue when I'll ever get to play it.

How is it?

These are very much first impressions but here goes:

It's a fairly standard resource conversion/contract fulfillment affair, but it's a very well done one of those. I hadn't played this sort of game in a while, it was refreshing to play a straightforward cube-pushing euro. The turns are super snappy, even though our first game was almost 3 hours it didn't feel like a long game. Played first with four, then with two. I would say four was the much better experience. Two player felt very zero sum and also meant that if you needed a particular resource you probably had to build the factory yourself. With four there was more diversification of production and trading going on.

The mechanism I really liked was the card management and how it interacts with the end of the game. You have a hand of population cards, which you can get rid of by scoring them. A player having an empty hand is what triggers the end of the game. To score population cards, you need to produce stuff, for which you need worker cubes. However, every time you gain a worker, you have to draw another population card. What this means is that developing your board gives you more points-earning potential because you can now produce more stuff and you have more cards to score, but at the same time it also makes it harder for you to end the game. Knowing when to switch from developing your board to scoring cards/ending the game is probably going to be one of the key skills for winning in this game. It reminded me somewhat of Dominion in that sense.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

xarhtna posted:

omg I love this thread. Thank you so much!! (also to everyone else who threw in guesses)

I got as far as figuring out it was Tyr -- since I remembered seeing a similar scrawny blond viking in Asgard, I googled "norse god" + "right hand" (turns out his hand was bitten off by Fenrir).

poronty fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 30, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My biggest issue with Anno 1800 were the population cards - I played a two player game in which my opponent got a good half dozen of the....red and purple population, I think? He got a bunch of cards that gave him those people, higher-rnked civilians that normally take a good number of resources to build towards. I got none. The amount of resources I needed to waste just to catch up to what he was drawing meant it was basically impossible for me to win.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

xarhtna posted:

I still refuse to believe this is not an ARG. Probably for The Eternals from Marvel Studios Only In Theatres November Whatever The gently caress

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I love this thread

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Spirit Island chat: how does one play Shroud of Silent Mist effectively against high level opponents? I've had the worst time with this spirit regardless of player count and adversary. We usually play on difficulties 8-10.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KPC_Mammon posted:

Spirit Island chat: how does one play Shroud of Silent Mist effectively against high level opponents? I've had the worst time with this spirit regardless of player count and adversary. We usually play on difficulties 8-10.

Shroud is designed to really lean into its gimmick; if you're not leaving enemies alive to farm fear/energy you're usually going to feel pretty weak. Building-rich adversaries at high level play into this pretty well since a lot of spirits don't really have the option to wipe them out all at once, so leaving some alive is not really a sacrifice.

Even then, on its own Shroud tends to be just a tiny bit below average. The good news is that it responds really well to support, and if other players can feed Shroud cards/energy/etc. then it can catch up and even exceed quite quickly. Indirect support is worth a lot too, if other spirits can toss spare damage & defense Shroud's way it's a huge help. Basically it's a spirit that really demands a lot of coordination, saving leftover damage is a great force multiplier for both spirits but you need to cooperate to make that happen.

In terms of build order, you can either play it safe and rely on maxxing out top track for reliable energy and elements or swing for the fences and stop at 1 energy to rush big plays on the bottom track. If you have support available I am a huge fan of going for bottom track to get your big damage thresholds going faster; it can work out on its own without help but if your card draws don't cooperate you may be in a world of hurt.

Spirits that rely on straight up destruction/removal (lightning, ocean, lure to a lesser extent) are generally not great partners as they don't play nicely with Shroud's partial damage mechanic. If you have promo pack 1 then Serpent is a particularly interesting partner (especially if there are other spirits to eat presence from, since Shroud is very jealous of its own) as it can feed Shroud a lot of support and tends to generate chip damage on buildings that otherwise goes to waste and can defend multiple lands where wounded invaders linger just as easily as a single land.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Shroud also enables a lot of one damage ping cards that are otherwise uselss, and plays well with rampant green and other damage each invader spirits that can have trouble finishing opponents off. But as stated you have to draw things out and play to your gimmick, similar to Vengeance is an Icky Lizard wanting some blight and often purposefully throwing presence to be destroyed.

Edit: you also have some cards that let you work around ravages in a unique way which opens up options when you can't defend everything

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Naming things in legacy games is always fun. Clank Legacy has a few that are Mad Libs style, so we ended up with the the Knightly order of the Golden Brassiere.

Then we got a card for the order. The flavor text said: "They are not as ridged as other orders...."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I actually just got to play my pandemic-halted Clank Legacy game a few weekends back. I had a lot of fun, but gently caress a duck it is so much faff. It took like 2 hours to play Clank. And I like Clank and I like the legacy bullshit, but afterwards I was like, "Sheesh, kinda wish that was still 45 minutes quicker."

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
The Stardew board game is back up for preorder this Wednesday with a few minor fixes and clarifications (no rule changes but seems like they made the mine cards a little easier amongst other smaller changes). I really wish I liked it more since it's so drat cozy and the theme means my wife would be hyped to play it with me too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

played mansions of madness for the first time in a while and got my rear end kicked. feels like they want you to replay scenarios a bunch until you beat them, but the game is so big and fiddly that i don’t feel like busting it out night after night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

jesus WEP posted:

played mansions of madness for the first time in a while and got my rear end kicked. feels like they want you to replay scenarios a bunch until you beat them, but the game is so big and fiddly that i don’t feel like busting it out night after night

Hard same. Nice game but is too fiddly and long for a storytelling experience and the actual decisions you get to make. Kind of falls in and awkward space between heavy and casual.

Arkham Horror LCG totally killed it for me.