Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The DLSR I got my partner for Christmas has been a huge hit, and I want to get her a lens for her birthday. Looking to stay under $500, and basically what I can get this weekend at Best Buy. Due to the unpleasantness of the world, the first gift I ordered her got lost in shipping so I need to go get another one as a replacement.

She's been using the camera for a huge variety of things I didn't expect, so a variety of lenses seems like the right call. Pictures of stuff to sell on Etsy, she brought it to the beach to take photos of one of her startups (boat drones), she brings it to events, etc.

So far she's got: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Lens, the EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Lens it came with, and a random used lens I was able to get that I forget the specifics on.

I'm leaning toward a less expensive telephoto lens, like Canon - EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens - Black https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-ef-85mm-f-1-8-usm-medium-telephoto-lens-black/8551186.p?skuId=8551186

But I've heard prime lenses are also real good, and I don't think she has one yet. Something like Canon - RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Standard Prime Lens for RF Mount Cameras - Black https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-standard-prime-lens-for-rf-mount-cameras-black/6439620.p?skuId=6439620

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

The DLSR I got my partner for Christmas has been a huge hit, and I want to get her a lens for her birthday. Looking to stay under $500, and basically what I can get this weekend at Best Buy. Due to the unpleasantness of the world, the first gift I ordered her got lost in shipping so I need to go get another one as a replacement.

She's been using the camera for a huge variety of things I didn't expect, so a variety of lenses seems like the right call. Pictures of stuff to sell on Etsy, she brought it to the beach to take photos of one of her startups (boat drones), she brings it to events, etc.

So far she's got: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Lens, the EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Lens it came with, and a random used lens I was able to get that I forget the specifics on.

I'm leaning toward a less expensive telephoto lens, like Canon - EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens - Black https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-ef-85mm-f-1-8-usm-medium-telephoto-lens-black/8551186.p?skuId=8551186

But I've heard prime lenses are also real good, and I don't think she has one yet. Something like Canon - RF 50mm f/1.8 STM Standard Prime Lens for RF Mount Cameras - Black https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-standard-prime-lens-for-rf-mount-cameras-black/6439620.p?skuId=6439620

Which camera body did you get her? The 50mm/1.8 RF mount lens is designed for the new R-series mirrorless cameras, and from the EF-S lens you listed that you gave her an APS-C mount DSLR camera. It won't work, although there are plenty of options for that focal length that will work with her camera (look for Canon 50mm/1.8 or /1.4 EF mount, or Sigma).

Since you mention boats, I wonder if an ultra-wide lens be good. Have you looked at the Canon 10-18mm? There's a manual focus lens from Rokinon (14mm/f2.8, no idea if it's at Best Buy).

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Which camera body did you get her? The 50mm/1.8 RF mount lens is designed for the new R-series mirrorless cameras, and from the EF-S lens you listed that you gave her an APS-C mount DSLR camera. It won't work, although there are plenty of options for that focal length that will work with her camera (look for Canon 50mm/1.8 or /1.4 EF mount, or Sigma).

Since you mention boats, I wonder if an ultra-wide lens be good. Have you looked at the Canon 10-18mm? There's a manual focus lens from Rokinon (14mm/f2.8, no idea if it's at Best Buy).

I got her the Canon - EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR 4K Video Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Lens

That ultrawide is tempting, I'll look into it more.

I also ordered her the Datacolor SpyderX Pro as a backup for the first gift falling through, but that won't be here until after her birthday. She's been getting really frustrated with color being different on her two monitors, plus other people's monitors not showing the same color. This won't fix the other people, but it will at least let her make sure she has the most canonically correct colors for things she works on.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the SL3 is a crop-sensor DSLR, meaning it can use EF-S and EF mount Canon lenses, but not RF or M. If you get a third party lens from Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc, just make sure it will work with EF-S or EF mount Canon cameras.

The calibrator sounds like a good gift too.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol did some recording with OBS last night and my 7D

works real well.

also guess what lol? I left it on. about 20 hours with the mirror up and the sensor on

the camera was slightly warm. but… seems fine. i imagine some damage has happened to the sensor, but.. seems fine.

I suspect if it was a newer camera it might have been much worse. I’ve heard people running water cooling systems to deal with the heat that video produces on some cameras.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

echinopsis posted:

lol did some recording with OBS last night and my 7D

works real well.

also guess what lol? I left it on. about 20 hours with the mirror up and the sensor on

the camera was slightly warm. but… seems fine. i imagine some damage has happened to the sensor, but.. seems fine.

I suspect if it was a newer camera it might have been much worse. I’ve heard people running water cooling systems to deal with the heat that video produces on some cameras.

Were you using HDMI/USB? the mechanics are a little different with your camera having the sensor exposed and routing it's relatively low bitrate USB/HDMI feed out to an R5 taking/reading/processing/writing 8k LOG or whatever it is to a CF card.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 12, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Probably. Just using USB.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Where would you guys recommend buying a used lens from? Canon isn't making the 40mm f/2.8 pancake anymore and I really want to get one for my 6D Mark II. I see that KEH has some at a good price, anywhere else worth looking at?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

bagmonkey posted:

Where would you guys recommend buying a used lens from? Canon isn't making the 40mm f/2.8 pancake anymore and I really want to get one for my 6D Mark II. I see that KEH has some at a good price, anywhere else worth looking at?

MPB is where I get my used stuff mostly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I usually roll between MBP b&h used and Adorama to see if they have what I want although recently my used stuff has all come from MBP. Which reminds me I should open up and test my son's Christmas camera to make sure it all works.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Rolling the dice with Keh’s “ugly” grade

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I recently bought bargain grade stuff from them and I could not find anything functionally (glass and mechanics) off with it. Hell, even cosmetically I would have rated it fine.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Back when keh was good I got an "ugly" camera which was perfect with the exception of a few surface scratches and 1 bent strap loop, otherwise perfect.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I bought a BGN Hasselblad lens from KEH a number of years ago, it had a very obviously dented/deformed filter ring (shoulda been UG by their standards).

Was within my rights to return it but the return international postage + buying a better one would have put me behind so I kept it but swore off them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Are there any good lightroom replacements? I remember seeing some talk somewhere about an open source project but can't for the life of me find it

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

That's probably Darkroom. I haven't used it much so I can't comment on it but give it a try

E: Darktable, not darkroom. :v:

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 20, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If it was open source then probably either rawtherapee or darktable.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I use darktable and am happy with it. Rawtherapee might be better out of the box, but I like the workflow and the end result after a little customization. I would definitely give it a shot, it is free after all.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I think darktable is the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Darktable applies a luminance preserving base curve to the image by default, which I do not think looks right (preserve none looks more correct).

Lens and camera corrections are handled by the lensfun library which might need an update to support newer cameras and lenses.

Darktable also has gpu support, but you have to install opencl and then turn it on. You can also set the level of quality it renders previews at, which demosiacing it uses, and a performance over quality mode to speed things up significantly.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

dupersaurus posted:

Are there any good lightroom replacements? I remember seeing some talk somewhere about an open source project but can't for the life of me find it

Capture One is good, but it's not open source or cheap

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Splinter posted:

Capture One is good, but it's not open source or cheap

I am pretty happy with C1 as well, but I totally do not understand why its CA corrections is so lousy and why I can't do distortion correction on tiff files. But it's still infinitely better than any subscription based software.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I own a Lowepro Truckee BP250LX. It fits a pro body with grip and 4 lenses and lots of extra stuff. It's 18 liters / 700grams.

Problem when going to a trip lasting 2-3 nights it fits only 2 lenses and 0 cameras, unless I take only my Fuji X100S.

Does someone happen to know about around 25L camera bags (so slightly bigger) which weigh under 1KG. Thanks.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

this camera looks incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7DnNoAnbDc

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It looks a bit heavy for taking pictures of my dog.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I managed to get a broken Fuji xc 15-45 for free and fixed it by opening it all the way up to realign the lenses. By the time I reassembled it and took a couple photos I realized I left out a screw. Immediately broke a ribbon cable rather than just leaving it. :doh:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I just picked up an m50 mk2 and thats a very considerable sum for me at the moment. Whats a good case that isnt too big? i only need to store the body and one lens so i dont anything massive

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Bouillon Rube posted:

Rolling the dice with Keh’s “ugly” grade

Update on the “ugly” gear from Keh, in case anyone was wondering:

Both lenses are flawless cosmetically aside from each having a minor (like <1mm) hairline scratches on the front elements (from what I understand, you REALLY have to gently caress up a front element before it starts actually affecting your photos)

The Tamron has significant back focus issues at the telephoto end so is going back (after doing some research, this is a common issue with this particular lens), but the Sigma is absolutely perfect. So if nothing else I got a really nice prime for my E-M10 for the cost of a tank of gas.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I'm a photographer who shoots street art. I've taken thousands of images at this point and would like to upgrade my setup. I have an iPhone XS Max which I use as a daily driver, as well as a Rebel XS (18-55mm & 28mm lenses) which I find cumbersome to carry around when I'm out. I'm just wondering, would a mirrorless camera be a good bet? Lighting ranges from day to night and the size of the art varies between 5ft wide to 40ft. Ideally video would be a nice option as well as I'm thinking of potentially doing a few interviews. What kind of lens works best for street art?

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Take a look at the x100f or x100v if you don’t mind being stuck with 23mm (35mm on a fullframe). I had one of the older ones as a keep in my pocket as an every day camera and I really regret selling for the bigger x-pro.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The website of someone who does documentary/street photography and uses the X100 range exclusively. I'm not a massive follower of her but she's forever popping up on various photography podcasts I listen to.
https://valeriejardinphotography.com/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love my x100V but 35mm is not wide enough [roughly 1/4 the FoV of 18mm] for taking straight on pictures in a small alley IME. You could get an Fuji body with the XF16 2.8 for 24mm equivalent and that could work better or there’s a super compact 18mm F2 or cheap third party 12mm F 2.0 options if that isn’t wide enough. As far as low light Fujis are pretty good around 6400ish ISO but there’s also a 16mm 1.4 which is more expensive.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coming from a Rebel XS, anything from Fuji’s second gen (X-Pro2 / X-T2 / X-T20 etc) forward is going to feel like witchcraft. Small, great “what you see is what you get” viewfinders, very good high ISO support, and snappy autofocus.

Seconding looking at a Fuji used body and the 16/2.8, that’s a hard combo to beat.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I want to gently caress around with green screens so i can make dumb pictures, which means i need some continuous lights.

I dont need anything massive, or high end. I was looking around on amazon but who the gently caress knows what you get there. Im hoping for some recommendations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Clamp lights with aluminum reflector and 150W bulb (or led equivalent) and various diffusers is what I go to for something cheap and quick.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD1PK37/

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 31, 2021

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Thanks everyone. For reference, these are the kinds of photos I've been taking, mostly with my iPhone XS (since the Rebel is a lot more of a chore to carry when most of what I find happens while I'm out doing other things). The photos aren't always straight on and usually zoom helps since some art is on rooftops or behind fences where I might not necessarily be able to get close to.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

You just said zoom would be useful so this isn’t really a suggestion 100% matching your requirements but people were suggesting an x100 and I’d counter suggest the Ricoh GR III as it has a wider lens (about as wide as the wide angle on your rebel). It’s the only large sensor camera that’s really pocketable and also not more than $2000. A great street camera. But yeah, no zoom.

A Fuji xt20 with the 15-45 lens would be a good choice. Wider zoom than the canon and much smaller, with way better low light image quality and usability than the rebel, as others have mentioned.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I picked up an Elinchrom Ranger setup for a song on FB marketplace today (guy didn't include the model in the description, it sat up there for months at a reasonable price and he slashed it to AU$200 yesterday) and when I met up with him he tossed in three PocketWizard Plus II's he hadn't even mentioned in the ad.

Having dipped my toe into some cheap, basic off-camera lighting through the Strobist blog 10+ years ago I had to pick my jaw up off the floor - I was just planning on buying some Chinese crap as I'm only planning to use them at very close range and with analog gear (don't need TTL, high sync speed, or any of that).

I got home and checked the price on eBay and... AUD$50/each is about right these days? I know it's an older model but given how they were industry-standard in their day I can't imagine there'd be much most people would miss.

Given I was already getting a stonkin' deal on the flash setup itself and hadn't even expected them I'm not even the least bit mad, just surprised that they dropped in price so much over the years. I've got three more monoblock heads coming from eBay so I'll need one more trigger, might as well make it another old PW!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the Fuji 35 f/2 a downgrade from the 1.4 other than the obvious higher max aperture? I have an old Xpro1 with a 35 1.4 that I haven't used in literally like, three or four years, thinking of unloading it. The Xpro1 is near worthless (in its condition I mean, still usable just dinged and with a dead internal capacitor or whatever) but the 35 1.4 is arguably still incredibly competent.

I guess what this boils down to, I haven't used it in almost half a decade, I have an A7iii and a Sony lineup that I'm dumping money into but I still can't bring myself to sell it "in case" I decide to give Fuji another kick, but ultimately I could probably drop this on the market and make a buck and then grab an F/2 for a lot less if I get the bug again.

Honestly after I typed that out I'm not really sure what my point is. I guess it's the first thing I asked -- is there any significant IQ downgrade from the f/1.4 to the f/2?

I should just sell it and forget I ever had it, this is borderline hoarder behaviour :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bouillon Rube posted:

Update on the “ugly” gear from Keh, in case anyone was wondering:

Both lenses are flawless cosmetically aside from each having a minor (like <1mm) hairline scratches on the front elements (from what I understand, you REALLY have to gently caress up a front element before it starts actually affecting your photos)

The Tamron has significant back focus issues at the telephoto end so is going back (after doing some research, this is a common issue with this particular lens), but the Sigma is absolutely perfect. So if nothing else I got a really nice prime for my E-M10 for the cost of a tank of gas.

This has been stewing with me for a bit and I'm curious, are returns on the lenses free? Is it worth it to bargain hunt on these, especially if my photography budget is a bit slimmer?