Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

The nation-state is a Western invention of the modern era

All 200+ states in red

Yeah the map's concept is all hosed up and this is really the ultimate conclusion if you run with it.

I think what they were trying to get across is something like, "countries whose borders were at least partially drawn and imposed upon them by European imperial powers" but it fails at that... you could add "in the 20th century" and it's a bit closer but still rife with problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

alnilam posted:

you could add "in the 20th century" and it's a bit closer but still rife with problems
The biggest being that the Berlin Conference happened in the 19th.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

The biggest being that the Berlin Conference happened in the 19th.

Haha damnit... I was trying to find a way to explain why the americas have no red.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Even in the 20th, locals didn't decide to have three countries in Guyana, one being France

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Platystemon posted:

NFL mascot categories

I don't know much about american football but based on my reading of this map Florida has 3 teams by itself? That seems excessive, especially seeing as in some other places there seem to be 3 or 4 states sharing a single team. Are floridians just good at football? I'll be honest I tried to understand the franchise system when I first saw something about one state buying another state's sports team but I've always stuggled to understand how it actually works in practice.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't know much about american football but based on my reading of this map Florida has 3 teams by itself? That seems excessive, especially seeing as in some other places there seem to be 3 or 4 states sharing a single team. Are floridians just good at football? I'll be honest I tried to understand the franchise system when I first saw something about one state buying another state's sports team but I've always stuggled to understand how it actually works in practice.

Where the teams are has nothing to do with the quality of the football played there, just with the size of the media market and the willingness of the local government to help pay for a stadium

e: except for Green Bay which is owned by the citizens of Green Bay which is why a tiny town like that has an NFL team

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah the franchise system has always bewildered me. How can a team change cities, players, and owners, and still be considered the same team??

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

alnilam posted:

Yeah the franchise system has always bewildered me. How can a team change cities, players, and owners, and still be considered the same team??

Most of the time, in a relocation, the players and owners don't change. It's usually just the owner deciding the locals aren't giving them enough money and moving to a city that promises them a free stadium and no taxes for a decade or two.

(And then the old city deciding they actually do want a team and getting a new billionaire to buy in and start a new one.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

alnilam posted:

Sometimes it’s not. For example the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore in the 90s and rebranded as the ravens after Edgar Allen Poe (Baltimore local), two years later Cleveland was given an expansion team and as part of the deal was given the old Cleveland browns name, and history so that it’s both an expansion team and not an expansion team simultaneously. No this doesn’t make any more sense to us but it made two billionaires happy and that’s what’s important.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

alnilam posted:

in their attempt to move from baltimore to indianapolis, the colts had to dodge state police because the governor ordered the team seized by the state

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

in their attempt to move from baltimore to indianapolis, the colts had to dodge state police because the governor ordered the team seized by the state

My god... It's like when the topes moved from Springfield to Albuquerque

e: bonus fact, Albuquerque does in fact have a minor league team called the Isotopes, named after that Simpsons episode. They have Simpsons themed cheers and stuff.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
But do they have Honus Wagner, Cap Anson and Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

honestly as an American but who has never had a professional sports team move away from where I live, I don't know how fans react when a team moves away

like to me it seems extremely unlikely there are any rams fans left in St. Louis, but maybe I'm wrong

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah everyone I know here despises the rams now.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

This is a map of NFL support based on Facebook likes. Probably a bit more accurate for seeing where the fans actually live.

Edit: though made prior to the Rams/Raiders/Chargers moves it seems.

Blut fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 29, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Blut posted:

This is a map of NFL support based on Facebook likes. Probably a bit more accurate for seeing where the fans actually live.

Wow, I'm from Pittsburgh and I didn't realize the Steelers fandom crept that close to Philly or Cleveland.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

When the Raiders tried to leave Oakland, the city government tried to seize the team via the doctrine of eminent domain (i.e., that power that governments normally use to seize physical property to build like highways and stuff).

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
lmao @ the Jets

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
as the fakest north american sports league and only the second most relevant soccer league in the US i'd love to see the equivalent for MLS

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

e: can't read???

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 29, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tweezer Reprise posted:

as the fakest north american sports league and only the second most relevant soccer league in the US i'd love to see the equivalent for MLS

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

"real salt lake"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

alnilam posted:

Wow, I'm from Pittsburgh and I didn't realize the Steelers fandom crept that close to Philly or Cleveland.

That map is from the mid or late 2000s, so it was less than a decade after the return when cleveland sucked AND pittsburg was at the top

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dallas Stars roster:
6 USA players
5 canadian
5 finnish
3 russian
2 swedish
1 czech
1 austrian
1 slovakian

The hometown team y'all

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There should be spots in Washington state and Oregon but otherwise this checks out. If you include the entire soccer pyramid you could put splotches in Tampa and Louisville

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dang I knew that there were some parallels between the structures of slavery and modern American spectator sports, but not that one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Quite possibly 4 depending on how far east into the panhandle the saints blob goes. As far are they good they're almost certainly above average overall given the huge population in a very football dominated area of the country

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think this says more about the person who made the map than anything else. I think whoever it was is deeply insecure, has severe imposter syndrome, and is living the life of a con artist. My evidence is the fact that they think "truth" and "consequences" are spooooooky concepts.

Does anyone else think brewton seems a little out of place

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Probably witches brew haha

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

alnilam posted:

My god... It's like when the topes moved from Springfield to Albuquerque

e: bonus fact, Albuquerque does in fact have a minor league team called the Isotopes, named after that Simpsons episode. They have Simpsons themed cheers and stuff.

IIRC, the Isotopes are actually pretty fitting for New Mexico having a bunch of science labs and nuclear facilities. (and being the canon location of Black Mesa)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, the Isotopes are actually pretty fitting for New Mexico having a bunch of science labs and nuclear facilities. (and being the canon location of Black Mesa)

Buddy. Guy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All right I'm going to need to know how that loving shoreline is showing up in fallout. Is there a mountain ridge there?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Appalachians are old as hell. They’ve always been a high spot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This fur trapper who disappeared, presumed dead, at the age of thirty‐seven in 1821, got a continent named after him.

How cool is that?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Platystemon posted:

The Appalachians are old as hell. They’ve always been a high spot.

Yeah but there's a bunch of area on the other side of the Appalachians that has a lot more fallout. Why is the little curve at the southern tip blocking it so much better? And I don't think the left end of that blue area is behind any mountains at all.

I presume basically all that is blown from the Nevada Test Site.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Data from 2006–2010

The winds aren’t particularly strong and can come from any direction.

I expect that the “shoreline” is an artefact of the weather patterns following handful of exceptionally dirty tests.

Look at how Refugio County, TX just got smote by the finger of Teller while everything around it is in the lowest possible category.

(That may also be data quality related.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fallout: New Vegas the most realistic Fallout

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
High fallout county gang represent

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

„Hot meat sandwich“ sounds kinda weird when it’s (at least in Germany + Austria) is just sausage in a bun. Oh, one obviously also beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm gonna guess Belgians eat fries with mayo, because that's all I ever think of them eating besides chocolate.