Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beartaco posted:

I feel like resources stopped being scarce in that game immediately, like, seconds after the first tutorial mission ends.

This is kind of a super common thing in a lot of games, a lot of resources they just throw at you unless you're like, running past everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

But once you have one of the fortresses on-side and build up the rep / tools they offer you can have a full gas tank and full health / water every time you go there, and you can fast travel any time from anywhere for free, I kinda wish they'd kept it a bit more scavengy throughout.
Yeah, I'm starting to build the different stations in the first fortress and that plus upgrades that allow you to find and carry more ammo/water already kind of threw that balance out.

Beartaco posted:

I feel like resources stopped being scarce in that game immediately, like, seconds after the first tutorial mission ends.
I would argue that when you can only carry 3 shotgun shells and one shiv, there's a nice balance between wanting to use them because you want to be able to pick more up if you find some and wanting to keep them because they're so useful and rare.

Same with water; at the beginning you can only carry enough to heal you once and every source is mostly empty so you have to find 2 or 3 to fill your canteen even once, and if you're at half health you hesitate to use it because there might be food nearby and you might want to give your water to stranded people you come across.

Gas is a little different, but I like the way it works. There's gas in every camp and your car uses very little of it so you rarely, if ever, run completely out normally, but it still allows the game to have little "puzzles" like a parked scrapulance with no gas that you have to fill yourself or a loot location where you need to bring your own canister to blow up a door.

But as NoneMoreNegative said, it really doesn't take long (like, 2 hours after my original post) before you can just fast travel to your base and get full gas, water, health and ammo, and the game really showers you with Griffa tokens so after a few hours every water source will fully fill your canteen, your car basically stops using gas and you can carry 7-8 shells and 4 shivs.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I thought that the scarcity of shotguns shells and shivs worked well, but sniper rounds seemed too scarce. Killing a sniper and then retrieving the body would yield two rounds, so minus the one spent killing the sniper still puts me one ahead. But, sometimes when I killed the sniper and then knocked down their tower, the body/ammo didn't come with it, or I missed a shot, or I sniped the gas tank or a war crier and pretty soon it felt like I was always on a downward spiral with the sniper rounds. Then I built the ammo project and it never mattered again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dewgy posted:

This actually glitched out on me one time, leading to Eivor shouting for help and shoving the lid of a treasure chest indefinitely. Which was funny, but annoying. :v:

Yeah, that happened to me a number of times too. Definitely the most consistently bugged piece of the game, I kind of dreaded walking up to those chests.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC the war criers had special dialog if you killed everyone else in the area and left them for last

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
SO much special dialogue they are very upset you've left them for last and know why you've done so, it is very very funny

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Yeah, that happened to me a number of times too. Definitely the most consistently bugged piece of the game, I kind of dreaded walking up to those chests.

If Cyberpunk 2077 hadn't come out a month later I would have said AC Valhalla was the buggiest game I've played on PC in a long while. Sometimes Eivor would suddenly have a heart attack while out riding on a horse and die.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

exquisite tea posted:

If Cyberpunk 2077 hadn't come out a month later I would have said AC Valhalla was the buggiest game I've played on PC in a long while. Sometimes Eivor would suddenly have a heart attack while out riding on a horse and die.

Poor Eivor, thought of ants and died

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

100% agreed.

This also happened multiple times (although I'd put that in the positives column :v:)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like you just accidentally opted into Ubisoft's new Assassin's Creed-themed Battle Royale.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Dewgy posted:

This actually glitched out on me one time, leading to Eivor shouting for help and shoving the lid of a treasure chest indefinitely. Which was funny, but annoying. :v:

Anyway, as part of playing the Castlevania Anniversary Collection, I’ve been going through Kid Dracula, and there’s a bunch of Castlevania stuff involved but adorable. In particular, the music in the first level cracked me up big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bZkduoieoA

Why is it so funny? Well, have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58lhgcc-nk

I love dumb crap like this.

Close, but this is the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78706bv98S8

Kid Dracula rules.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Looks like you just accidentally opted into Ubisoft's new Assassin's Creed-themed Battle Royale.

100 Assassins are dropped into Jerusalem and must loot, scavenge and kill to be the last one remaining.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Leal posted:

100 Assassins are dropped into Jerusalem and must loot, scavenge and kill to be the last one remaining.

This could actually be a pretty good BR game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain DIEgiene posted:

100% agreed.

This also happened multiple times (although I'd put that in the positives column :v:)

Is that literally the same bug from Skyrim where the big ogre clubs would pelt you into the air because they sandwiched the player between them and the ground and Physics Occurs as a result? :eyepop:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love a good physics bug.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gohuskies posted:

This could actually be a pretty good BR game.

Combine it with the AC mutiplayer thing where you're all pretending to be civilians.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Olesh posted:

Close, but this is the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78706bv98S8

Kid Dracula rules.

Oh dang, you’re right! It’s such a great spoof.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Mario Party Superstars gave Daisy back the tan that she had in the N64 Mario spinoffs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got Far Cry 6 for my Birthday, still on the first island (just burned the tobacco farm) and am finding it interesting that it doesn't do the whole "Giant towers that unlock icons" thing - you find people to talk to and they give you intel, whether it's a guard that you bribe or a rebel.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BioEnchanted posted:

I got Far Cry 6 for my Birthday, still on the first island (just burned the tobacco farm) and am finding it interesting that it doesn't do the whole "Giant towers that unlock icons" thing - you find people to talk to and they give you intel, whether it's a guard that you bribe or a rebel.

They also patrol the guerilla paths randomly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can also just fast travel around the bases you have unlocked and usually there'll be a dude standing there, sometimes not even marked.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A buddy and I are playing through co-op and our regular routine is to spawn at a base and he grabs the intel while I spawn a chopper. We’re starting to run out of new things to find, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much stuff there is in the map.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm finding the villain really interesting in Far Cry 6 due to his relationship with his son. His son only wants to get away from him despite how badly he tries to indoctrinate him. This can only go one of three ways - either he escapes and joins the Guerrillas, you get to his father only to walk in on him murdering him himself, or the father succeeds in indoctrinating his son and he becomes a bitter moment where you have to put him down. The other villains didn't really have this kind of thing going on, they were very on their own, so it's a neat dynamic. I've just got to the Archipeligo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This completely unedited video is how The Matrix: Path of Neo ends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sen5svoZE4

That's a lot of music licensing dough to fork out for a gag.

e: also that video was uploaded 16 years old and I feel old

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Oct 30, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw poo poo it's on now!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Add it to the SAclopedia page!!!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Aw poo poo it's on now!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This isn't a bug that's just how powerful Kiryu is.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm watching Alpharad play through Mario Party Superstars, where they have a tradition of playing 3 player with 1 CPU playing as Very Hard DK. Very Hard DK does NOT gently caress around, he will curbstomp a whole game unless you keep him in check. One of the minigames that made it into the collection is a game where the four players are fighting over who gets to stand on a podium and have their picture taken when the time runs out. Very Hard DK is, understandably, good as hell at this game. One of the players playing as Luigi likes to just be chaos incarnate and ruin people's fun, which is hilarious. This is the final frame of the minigame, after knocking Very Hard DK off the podium, forcing the game to be a tie instead of a win:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I know it's half the charm of the series, but I'm enjoying a lot of the goofy sidequests in Yakuza 0. Like, I'm just trying to go home after a long day, and some random woman comes up and goes "I told my dad I was dating a tall, skinny guy with an eyepatch, can you pretend to be my boyfriend when I have dinner with him five minutes from now?"
I just love when stupid goofy stuff intrudes into more serious dramatic games.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I know it's half the charm of the series, but I'm enjoying a lot of the goofy sidequests in Yakuza 0. Like, I'm just trying to go home after a long day, and some random woman comes up and goes "I told my dad I was dating a tall, skinny guy with an eyepatch, can you pretend to be my boyfriend when I have dinner with him five minutes from now?"

Yakuza is king of switching from goofy to dramatic in seconds and somehow pulling it off.

The best is baby rugby scene from 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhWk2LpZhG8

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Captain DIEgiene posted:

The Judgement series being darker in tone than Yakuza makes the goofier sidequests even funnier. Like Yagami has to take time out of his day chasing down a serial killer to go mediate a dispute between American and Russian ninjas

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm enjoying how Majima's first two chapters are both centered around him being tired as poo poo and just wanting to go home and get a good sleep, but he's constantly being interrupted by dumb stuff. Now I'm joining a cult to get some random woman's daughter out of it :shrug:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Fifty Shades of Play side-quest in Yakuza: Like A Dragon has quite some *sad piano music* moments for something starring a prostitute being bullied by her colleagues for being too old and a guy called Mr. Masochist who can no longer get pleasure from pain.

If you recently did the side-quest It’s the Thought that Counts you might whiplash from the tonal shifts.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Oct 31, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it's generally more what kind of story are the sidequests trying to tell because sometimes they are just doing different things that are unrelated to the main story. Like in Far Cry 6, the sidequests at the Blue Hole Cave and the guy dealing with the killer mongoose are very different stories, the first being quite sad given it's all about miscommunication and suspicion among people who are all just trying to survive a bad situation, and the second being a guy struggling to fight off a rabid mongoose to the extent that he abandons his home after multiple attempts at renovating it, whichj such hilarious notes as "DAMNIT! I bought a gun to take care of the mongoose, the case arrived with the gun inside but the fucker ate the key!".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Majima has better fighting styles in general than Kiryu in Yakuza 0, but the breakdancing style is something else. It really adds another level to all the post-fight "what even is that guy?!" dialogue when you've just effortlessly taken out an entire mob by careening around doing headspins and dance poses, in this extremely serious crime drama :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use heat actions in breakdance style.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use heat actions in breakdance style.

I haven't had any particular trouble, it seems like it takes a bit longer to break out of some stances to do them, but they work otherwise. The mobility and reach seem like a fine tradeoff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm doing missions in Far Cry 6 in level order so I'm still on the level 3 missions, just did the ones for two of the factions, just have to meet the third. So far the most fun faction has been the ones going after the propagandist. The mission where you gently caress with Maria's ceremony/TV broadcast was quite funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ilmucche posted:

From this guide (spoiler warning of course)

Could just be that you haven't unlocked them. Really though, Breaker/Dancer's ground attack combo is so overpowered that you don't really need heat actions to defeat basically everything with it aside from the couple of bosses who resist being knocked down.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Nov 2, 2021