Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the only nazi puppet master movie i want to see is the one where the puppets kill nazis

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Zurtilik posted:

Y'all ever see the Descent? Kind of a neat little film. Not happy with some of the turns but its good monster fair.

It's pretty popular in this thread, and it's one of my favourites. Also overlapping with the other conversation, I'm claustrophobic so it genuinely scares me although only the bits where people get stuck, not the gribbly monsters

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i didnt see the littlest reich but googling it it seems like the nazis are the bad guys? What was the controversy around it, was it just Zahler's involvement?

I'm not trying to defend the movie or anything I just wanna know what the deal with the whole thing is

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tarnop posted:

It's pretty popular in this thread, and it's one of my favourites. Also overlapping with the other conversation, I'm claustrophobic so it genuinely scares me although only the bits where people get stuck, not the gribbly monsters

The Descent Part 2 is surprisingly watchable if you expect trash instead of a good movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

The only thing that scares me is the possibility that love is not enough

I have good news and I have bad news

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I watched The Ritual (2017) with my wife and I feel like you should just watch the final act and have a good time. Not that the first two thirds are bad, but they almost feel like different movies?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the only nazi puppet master movie i want to see is the one where the puppets kill nazis

That's the vast majority of the Puppet Master movies which is why Littlest Reich is such a gross loving anomaly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

i didnt see the littlest reich but googling it it seems like the nazis are the bad guys? What was the controversy around it, was it just Zahler's involvement?

I'm not trying to defend the movie or anything I just wanna know what the deal with the whole thing is

having watched it myself i got a very uncomfortable feeling throughout the movie that it wanted you to root for the puppets murdering minorities

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 29, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't seen it and I'm no expert on Puppet Master but I assume part of the problem is that like the early movies set up the backstory as the puppets actually being Nazi hunters so turning them into Nazis is pretty weird. But maybe that changes somewhere earlier in the dozen sequels because I've only seen like 5 of the movies and they're a bit of a mess.

But also it just sounds like a tasteless and mean spirited film about puppet characters horror fans have loved for decades doing hate crimes to any and every minority group possible for lols. And since it comes from a dude and a production studio that is all about that alt right bullshit it gets no benefit of the doubt.

edit: And I'm very concerned to discover Barbara Crampton in like every one of these movies.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 29, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

also as I think about it, in slasher/monster films we often root for the slasher, or at least think they are cool. Like everyone's goes to see Friday the 13th because we wanna see Jason, or we go see a Monster movie bc the monster is cool.

So making the "bad guys" Nazis does seem in bad taste for that type of movie. I've only ever seen the first Puppet Master but I liked it, shame it turned into some crazy Nazi thing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/louisvirtel/status/1454105313796190213?s=21

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

the line about "dark meat" is also hosed

dorium posted:

There’s a lot of stuff in that movie that doesn’t need to be there like the Hard F Kelly Rowland drops at Freddy.

This isn’t even an instance of it aging poorly either. Those lines landed terribly when I saw it opening weekend, zero laughter and I’m pretty sure I remember groans in the audience though that might have just been from me and my friends.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen it and I'm no expert on Puppet Master but I assume part of the problem is that like the early movies set up the backstory as the puppets actually being Nazi hunters so turning them into Nazis is pretty weird. But maybe that changes somewhere earlier in the dozen sequels because I've only seen like 5 of the movies and they're a bit of a mess.

But also it just sounds like a tasteless and mean spirited film about puppet characters horror fans have loved for decades doing hate crimes to any and every minority group possible for lols. And since it comes from a dude and a production studio that is all about that alt right bullshit it gets no benefit of the doubt.

edit: And I'm very concerned to discover Barbara Crampton in like every one of these movies.

Littlest Reich is an alternate continuity and they didnt retcon the puppets with a history of killing nazis into actual nazis so Littlest Reich can be safely ignored

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 29, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tarnop posted:

You might be the target audience for Crawl or Die! It's claustrophobia: the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris James 2 posted:

...Huh. I don't quite know what to think of Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin beyond "it doesn't feel like a Paranormal Activity film". Not necessarily a bad thing itself, obviously

Some choices were definitely made! Including, but not limited to:
having no ghosts,
randomly having a confrontation scene near the end where this found footage film briefly stops being found footage,
a plot (whose synopsis even they kept under wraps until literally release day today) that feels like they wanted to join in on the cult phase Midsommar's popularity brought on,
being standalone (the best thing I feel here, gently caress jumping through any more hoops to stick with the series' lovely lore),
and having it be directed by William Eubank as his immediate next project after his stellar Underwater

I don't think much of the swings this took quite worked out, but it's the most I've thought about a PA film after getting to the end credits in a long time
See, I thought it was genuinely creepy and fun, way more so than the other PA movies. I haven't enjoyed most of the PA movies nearly as much as this one. IIRC, the only other PA movie I've really liked is The Marked Ones (and maybe The Ghost Dimension too, I can't remember) and thought the main numbered ones all sucked. Next of Kin not feeling like a PA movie is a good thing.

The documentary about Amish people who end up not actually being Amish people but a cult of demon worshippers angle was way more interesting to me than a bunch of dumb security camera footage of things happening around a house.

I admittedly didn't like Underwater all that much but thought William Eubank did an excellent job here.

It feels weird but I actually highly recommend a Paranormal Activity movie.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a movie where Blade (the puppet not the vampire killer) kills nazi's during WW2 was even released last year. those puppets really hate nazi's and should kill their nazi counterparts and then throw their movie into the trash where it belongs

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 29, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

The Descent Part 2 is surprisingly watchable if you expect trash instead of a good movie

I told myself I wasn't going to watch it for the longest time because I'm the kind of stupid head that lets bad sequels taint the originals but then I did watch it and it was, as you say, watchable trash

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

StrixNebulosa posted:

You might be the target audience for Crawl or Die! It's claustrophobia: the movie.

Sweet, added to the special section of my watch list for panic attack films

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

also as I think about it, in slasher/monster films we often root for the slasher, or at least think they are cool. Like everyone's goes to see Friday the 13th because we wanna see Jason, or we go see a Monster movie bc the monster is cool.

So making the "bad guys" Nazis does seem in bad taste for that type of movie. I've only ever seen the first Puppet Master but I liked it, shame it turned into some crazy Nazi thing

So I'm not sure how many of the Puppet Master movies you've seen, legitimately, but after the first...two? I want to say?

And even in those they're not the REAL main bad guy, I seem to recall there was some sympathetic stuff with them

The Puppets are not the villains of any of the movies. They're the heroes. They fight Nazis and punish evil people. So this isn't even a case like a Jason where its a vaguely sympathetic killer who you want to see kill SOME of the people but you still don't want them to 'win', exactly.

They *were* the good guys for most of their franchise.

And then this movie, which is STILL made like you should be rooting for them. Just you know, the evil people, the Nazis they used to murder and punish, well they're Jews and black people now.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Kvlt! posted:

It's similar to other Zahler scripts where the extreme violence is presented in a way to highlight how liberal attitudes make you unable to defend yourself and/or prevent "people of action" from reacting, leading to tragedy. This sort of right-wing framing is present in a lot of classic exploitation films so I wouldn't even call his work like "crypto-fash" or like alt-right he's just a talented right-wing artist who's a lot better about keeping his mouth shut about his intentions than his contemporaries.

In the case of The Littlest Reich his script does not want you to sympathize with the Nazi Puppets or puppeteer but it does want you to laugh at the liberal-coded minorities as their petulant attitude gets them killed by predators. All the characters who disrespect the cops are slaughtered, the people who survive or take action are aided and inspired by displays of Jewish religious faith.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Burkion posted:

So I'm not sure how many of the Puppet Master movies you've seen, legitimately, but after the first...two? I want to say?

And even in those they're not the REAL main bad guy, I seem to recall there was some sympathetic stuff with them

The Puppets are not the villains of any of the movies. They're the heroes. They fight Nazis and punish evil people. So this isn't even a case like a Jason where its a vaguely sympathetic killer who you want to see kill SOME of the people but you still don't want them to 'win', exactly.

They *were* the good guys for most of their franchise.

And then this movie, which is STILL made like you should be rooting for them. Just you know, the evil people, the Nazis they used to murder and punish, well they're Jews and black people now.

this is right on the money. the puppets are usually sympathetic and in the movies where they are committing evil acts they are being manipulated by someone else into committing them. Once they find out they are being manipulated they turn on the Puppetmaster and kill them. Littlest Reich throws that all out in favor of making them pure evil monsters.

i love the puppetmaster series. i even have a few figures of the puppets i keep on my desk... i do not like Littlest Reich at all for obvious reasons lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

as i said earlier ive literally only seen the original first one

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

as i said earlier ive literally only seen the original first one

watch Puppet Master 3. it owns

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like again, not having seen it, from what I can tell about the film the problem really is that the movie takes the puppet characters that people have loved for decades and goes "lol its fun and funny to watch them commit hate crimes". And like even though in some of the early Puppet Master films I was like "wait, are they nazis? That's weird." the hook/joke never seemed to be "lol, they're killing minorities and liberals" like it appears to be in that one.

So like yeah, even if you have the movie end with the nazi monsters being beaten if the rest of the film was clearly built around having a good time watching them kill then that's a problem. And since these are known parties there's no ambiguity about what their intent was when making it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

watch Puppet Master 3. it owns

Yea Puppetmaster 3 is really the one to watch to understand the context of why Littlest Reich was such a drastic and offensive change. That's the one where you really find out what the deal is with the puppets and they start to have actual character motivations that don't at all line up with what's going on in Littlest Reich.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Echoing "watch Puppet Master 3" - it's real good.

On being scared by a movie: nah. There are certainly movies that can get an emotional reaction out of me (Hagazussa is the most recent one I remember), but I feel like I'm missing the ability to go all the way with empathizing for something like fear or hope to make sense. Feelings about what might happen in the future, you know? I can't forget that those are in the hands of the script, there's no possibility for things to play out in a different way. So the things a movie can get me to feel are more in-the-moment; I can be happy or sad or angry about a character's situation but that seems to be the limit for me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I have never watched a puppet master movie

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MacheteZombie posted:

'tis the season to watch stuff you haven't seen before, you know what to do!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tonight's viewing: this bad boy!

I've been exploring the genre of the acid western and its not horror but if we can discuss movies like Lamb and stuff itt then this is definitely more horror than that. It actually has no connection to other Django spaghetti westerns, apparently its more of a horror/exploitation Western. It's directed by Giulio Questi, who did Death Laid An Egg

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's been a while since I saw it but it has some very memorable scenes and I'm fairly certain the main character is technically undead..

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

1 and 3 are pretty good standalone movies despite their low budget and campiness and i recommend starting with those

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm reading what's either a small book or a large pamphlet called "Deathconsciousness", and I'm pretty sure it's fiction masquerading as non-fiction and I'm a dummy, but it claims a horror movie movie called "The Devil Sings Softly" was made in 1954. It claims the movie is hard to find. Is it real? Or am I dumb.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

'tis the season to watch stuff you haven't seen before, you know what to do!

Exactly why I am watching the One Missed Call series starting today!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/draculavoice/status/1454125812790276098?s=20

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

People like 3 a lot but 2 is my favorite. Great kills, great puppets, very cool bad guy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't Paul Feig directing a movie that was supposed to continue the Dark Universe? Or was that canceled due to the pandemic?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

People like 3 a lot but 2 is my favorite. Great kills, great puppets, very cool bad guy.

The mannequins at the end are really unsettling. Now that I think about it, any picture I've seen of Sidney Powell reminds me of the female mannequin.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I have seen the first one and Curse of the Puppet Master. I do not recommend Curse of the Puppet Master

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I'm reading what's either a small book or a large pamphlet called "Deathconsciousness", and I'm pretty sure it's fiction masquerading as non-fiction and I'm a dummy, but it claims a horror movie movie called "The Devil Sings Softly" was made in 1954. It claims the movie is hard to find. Is it real? Or am I dumb.

Update: the movie is made up and doesnt exist

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't Paul Feig directing a movie that was supposed to continue the Dark Universe? Or was that canceled due to the pandemic?

I hope so, that sounded terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's been a while since I saw it but it has some very memorable scenes and I'm fairly certain the main character is technically undead..

*High Plains Drifter has logged on to the chat* This pretty much is a Western horror movie now that I think about it...

How gorey is Psycho Goreman? The trailer makes it look relatively tame and funny, is this balanced by scenes of ridiculous over the top violence? I'm super into it if it is, but I'm also looking for something new to watch with my parents on Halloween and if PG is ~relatively~ kid friendly it might work.