Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yo, the sale prices on AE are basically like eighty cents off, so if you're thinking about ordering something it might make sense to do it before the sale and the shipment glut that comes with it.

351V, 4:3 apect ratio, gorgeous display, woodgrain 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tewdrig posted:

I had been looking at picking up the RG351MP for couch and go gaming, but realized I had a 3ds I did little with. So, thanks for the discussions comparing the 3ds to these third party consoles. I have an n3DSXL and am happy enough with its screen and capabilities for Nintendo systems after getting it all set up and testing it out.

For PSX and PSP, is getting a Vita the best option? A third party would be more all-in-one, and the Vita supposedly struggles with some SNES, for which I have the 3DS, but I would think the Vita’s screen is going to beat out the 3.5” screens out there and play its library better.

I don’t know if or how well any of this covers the Sega lines. I wasn’t a Genesis kid so I don’t have the nostalgia for any of their systems or games other than Shining Force II. I mostly want to play old RPGs, which I played to death on the SNES and PSX.
Yeah, the Vita does PSX and PSP more or less flawlessly. With PSX titles you have to use EBOOT images instead of straight PSX ISOs, but that's just a one-time setup inconvenience. And I don't know about the non-OLED models, but an OLED Vita's screen is still nicer than most handhelds' displays. I also think the speakers are nice compared to both the ones on the DS/3DS/2DS and on the Anbernics I own.

So yeah, if you like the feel of the Vita, then I think it's a good option for PSX and PSP (and of course Vita native stuff). Installing firmware is well-documented, fairly easy, and unless something has changed very recently it works (via a couple different methods) starting from any official firmware release.

Downside is you do end up needing to have/purchase an official memory stick. You can get away with using a small one and just using it to do the hack, and then get a Vita game card to microSD adapter and run with it, or you can use a bigger OEM card and run everything off it if you want the game card slot available. And if you're feeling adventurous and have a 3G Vita you can open it up and pull the 3G card and replace it with a microSD card adpater.

The only non-PSX/PSP/Vita stuff I've done on a hacked Vita is SNES, which was fine, although I just played turn based RPGs and poo poo like that, no idea if it would poo poo the bed on titles were you care more about timing. I did most of my playing in RetroArch with the SNES9x 2005+ core and didn't notice any audio issues, framerate drops, or anything like that...but fast forward only gets up to like 1.5x or so. I didn't really gently caress around with optimising retroarch/snes9x settings, so no idea if you could squeeze more out if you really tried.

otter posted:

What’s the best place to get a 351m?
I've had good luck ordering from their official store on eBay. Shipped from a warehouse in the US and showed up a couple days later.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I've been using the 351ELEC beta on my MP and enjoying it immensely. It's been pretty stable all around for me so far. I've been trying to go for all the RetroAchievements on Super Mario Bros 1 and boy howdy do I suck at video games!!

One thing I would recommend, if you're not adverse to opening it up, is putting some electrical tape between the D-Pad contacts. As is, they set off diagonals way too readily, which confuses some systems (like the NES) that weren't really built with diagonals in mind. Feels way way better now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hFUdHtQLk

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, saw that earlier. Shame, it looked cool, but I was half-expecting the first few devices out the door to have build issues. Specs seem ok for newer gen stuff, but I doubt I'll get it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Seems Anbernic has yet another new device on the way, another Game Boy style vertical handheld called the RG353V, based off the picture floating around for it seems we'll finally have a Vertical handheld from Anbernic that matches up with the horizontal ones in terms of having the full range of controls many of those have

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Obscure Handhelds brings us news of another tiny handheld, smaller than the V90 but larger than the Trimui, vertical gameboy style form factor, 2.8" screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpAJWj3qHTI

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The Retroid Pocket 2 + is up for preorder. I’m really curious, because the sale page says it has all new buttons and people claim that the slider can travel more. Supposedly, it also does Saturn and Dreamcast, and I loving love those systems so that would be much more interesting to me.

But all the negative things I’ve heard about the 2’s build quality and general fiddliness has me really wary of even thinking of saving up for one. It’s affordable by the standards of these handhelds ($99 plus shipping), but, yeah, I don’t know.

The standalone PCB kit is also up for preorder ($65) and you can also buy a touchscreen upgrade for $20.

I can’t afford this right now so it’s a moot point, but I’m also wary because only one dude (Taki Udon) has shown anything off, and he’s shilled hard for it in the past, even while people were having PCBs die and poo poo.

E: also, yes I’m crazy and have read this entire thread because these things are fascinating, and also because I’m a big nerd

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The United States posted:

Obscure Handhelds brings us news of another tiny handheld, smaller than the V90 but larger than the Trimui, vertical gameboy style form factor, 2.8" screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpAJWj3qHTI

I like it in theory but I vow to never buy it because of how much I hate this video

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
I jumped right on that preorder, the fact that they give you a way to convert the old PCB into a plug and play only console solves Christmas for me. I don't have very high hopes for the majority of GameCube emulation considering Taki Udon mentioned Metroid Prime is one that doesn't run well on it, but if it does THUG1+2, I'll be a very happy camper.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I may buy the PCB and see if they’ll send me one of those sick clear plastic shells.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I'm really trying to resist the urge to collect these handhelds. Right now I have a hacked Switch, RGB10 Max, and a Samsung tablet with Retroarch on it. I know I don't need another one of these devices but still...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

n4 posted:

I'm really trying to resist the urge to collect these handhelds. Right now I have a hacked Switch, RGB10 Max, and a Samsung tablet with Retroarch on it. I know I don't need another one of these devices but still...

Does seem like you need a super small handheld so you can always have one in your pocket

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That's why I traded someone for a Game Boy Micro but gently caress me if those things (and decent quality replacement parts) aren't hard to find in good condition. I'm almost afraid to use it in the field too much, which totally defeats the purpose! Long term I might settle for a TrimUI.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What I'm getting from all this is that you need to get an RG351

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

drrockso20 posted:

Does seem like you need a super small handheld so you can always have one in your pocket

Thank you for enabling me

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"I can't even hold all these pocket portables?!"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RG351MP sucked me off?!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

2 Powkiddy V90 handhelds will rupture my anal cavity -- yes or no?!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
rating the mouthfeel of the trimui

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP_WFckjkI8

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

how complicated would swapping out the rp2+ pcb be for someone without a ton of experience with electronics? i can use a soldering iron but i don't have a ton of experience with anything more complicated than guitar pedals

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Did Retroid make their own barebones custom ROM launcher or is this a skin of something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vouw1Kz79c4

Gonna miss the old Pandora Box interface

Declan MacManus posted:

how complicated would swapping out the rp2+ pcb be for someone without a ton of experience with electronics? i can use a soldering iron but i don't have a ton of experience with anything more complicated than guitar pedals
Looks like it's just unscrewing and unplugging things and cracking a bit of the plastic shell, no soldering iron needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEYVqa9F0oo

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 31, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve taken the RP2 apart already because I messed it up and had to do a battery pull to get it out of a boot loop. It was simple.

Same with the RG351V, it’s just screws and ribbon cable clips. Very easy if you ever have to pop it open.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: oops, ignore this.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I ordered a RGB310 Max because as much as I love my 351V, the criticism about it being uncomfortable to play for long periods of time is warranted. Definitely keeping it though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah this looks like a hard pass unless they fix the build issues.

He does have a point about buying an S8 or 9 off eBay for the same or less.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, I picked up an ebay Pixel 3 for 140 pounds and put it in a clip with my 8bitdo Pro 2 and I really like how it plays. The Snapdragon 845 has easily run everything I've thrown at it up to 3x res PSP and the Pro 2 is an excellent controller.

I do prefer the OS on my 351V though - I really like just leaving it running with that screensaver that cycles through game videos where I can just pick it up and hit Start to play the game. That said, I haven't tried too much stuff and I'm sure there's a better launcher for it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm sure there are phone controller things that work fine, but I don't like them in general. I'd rather have and use a dedicated device.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
For sure, they all have tradeoffs now. I'm not feeling Android coming from 351ELEC, but I do like the quality of the controls on the Pro 2 and the speed of the phone, as well as the fast OLED screen. A combination of both I can just have on my desk for when I feel like a quick game would be ideal. In a sense that's the Steam Deck but it's rather chunky and mine isn't getting here til Q2 next year. In the meantime I think I'll go between them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo for $99 the Retroid Pocket 2+ seems like a clear winner.

What’s the catch?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm sure there are phone controller things that work fine, but I don't like them in general. I'd rather have and use a dedicated device.

Give one of these a try:

It's basically the same experience as a dedicated handheld and they take up less space in your pocket

There's pros and cons to each type. The bluetooth one is cheap and you can use it as a standalone bluetooth controller, the usb-c one is a lot more expensive but it works without batteries and has no input lag

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

What’s the catch?

I’m waiting until RGC gets one. I like Taki, just don’t trust him.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

What’s the catch?

Well it is a new device, so we haven't really had people properly try it out yet. Also, the retroid pockets always had at least some flimsy material about them before, from what I'd heard.

Or I'm just trying to persuade myself I made the right call by buying an Anbernic before a big sale :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I loved my RP2 until Anbernic made something a lot more intuitive. I’ll get the new PCB because I still love the look and feel of my purple 2.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

What’s the catch?
The RP2 shell is still terribly laid out, I constantly find my thumb over the left speaker due to the position of the D pad. If I had the choice of the internals of the RP2+ but in any other case design at a similar price point, I'd get that instead.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Give one of these a try:

It's basically the same experience as a dedicated handheld and they take up less space in your pocket

There's pros and cons to each type. The bluetooth one is cheap and you can use it as a standalone bluetooth controller, the usb-c one is a lot more expensive but it works without batteries and has no input lag

Thanks for this! I'm sure I'm just being curmudgeonly and they're all fine. I have a Pixel 3 that I'll need to upgrade from soon, so I'll already have the device and no excuse not to get a controller like those. But still, I think that it will be filling a role and not a daily driver. Dedicated hardware with custom firmware is just better to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh well it’s too late I couldn’t help my self. This thing should be just what I need.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Oh well it’s too late I couldn’t help my self. This thing should be just what I need.

Thread title material right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Thread title material right here

Spoiler

it won’t be