Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I assume there are no EVs that aren't connected to the internet all the time for over the air updates (and so car manufacturers can track your car), right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'd go as far as to say that connectivity of some sort is almost mandatory for any EV that wants to claim usability beyond one charge worth of range. The ability for the nav system to be aware of charger availability is a major feature if done correctly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

wolrah posted:

I'd go as far as to say that connectivity of some sort is almost mandatory for any EV that wants to claim usability beyond one charge worth of range. The ability for the nav system to be aware of charger availability is a major feature if done correctly.

plus preconditioning for HVAC and remote monitoring of charging

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

Technically you've still paid Apple royalties though which is slightly annoying. Any device that supports CarPlay has to have a special Apple authenticator chip in its USB path that does nothing but confirm that the vendor paid Apple a few bucks for that device. When I upgraded my Fiesta to Sync 3 it gained all the hardware and software required to technically support both Android Auto and CarPlay, only Android Auto actually worked because Ford put the magic Apple blessing in the USB hub instead of the main unit itself. If I cared about CarPlay I would have had to spend another $50 on a new USB hub that was otherwise functionally identical but contained the component that Apple got paid for.

I think, but am not entirely sure, that this isn’t the case for newer implementations. If the infotainment system supports WiFi and Bluetooth (and thus could do wireless CarPlay), then I think the chip’s function can be implemented in software. There was a similar change for HomeKit auth chips when Apple realized that almost all manufacturers will pay for a MFI chip to plug their device into iPhones, but few will pay for a physical chip to allow iPhones to plug into their device.

I’m sure there’s still a royalty, though, for both CarPlay and Android Auto. I also believe the infotainment system has to expose certain telemetry to the phone (speed, GPS location, etc.) for analytics.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

wolrah posted:

If only people carried around computers in their pocket that had internet access

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

If only people carried around computers in their pocket that had internet access

oh well EVs will just never work in this cruel and soon to be unlivable planet.

Edit: also I mentioned this before but if you stole the map memory card out of a first gen leaf the heat and air conditioning couldn't functions because the screen would just stay locked on insert map card, lol.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My Polestar is supposed to be ready Tuesday.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

some_admin posted:

My Polestar is supposed to be ready Tuesday.

I saw one on the road today. Looks real nice

I also saw a powder blue Taycan on the same drive. That looked real real nice

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

I assume there are no EVs that aren't connected to the internet all the time for over the air updates (and so car manufacturers can track your car), right?

That's probably correct

Polestar claims that their Polestar 2 and 3 vehicles cannot be tracked natively; that was a feature of the Polestar 1. You can turn off mobile data or even remove the sim card if you want the car to be offline, it's in a little slot next to the overhead lights. Not sure if it's possible to turn off the GPS

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dying to see what the Polestar 3 looks like btw, I hope its launch isn’t too delayed by all the chip shortage crap.

They really need to have their performance package have the blue paint option too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And I can almost guarantee that within 10 years people will have figured out how to root their Android Auto car, all bets are off at that point. poo poo will be super weird the first time someone hits a pedestrian and tries to blame it on their car's custom Android ROM

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

QuarkJets posted:

poo poo will be super weird the first time someone hits a pedestrian and tries to blame it on their car's custom Android ROM

The custom Android ROM the PO installed without their knowledge*

For extra complications.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This Chad doesn’t need your modern, life saving safety features getting in his way during an emergency

Yes.

Spend a few hundred hours honing emergency response is a far better safety option than generic electronics but that wont happen for the general populace. For Automotive Insanity types high performance driving courses even if you have a lot of track time is life saving and educational.

I would recommend finding a day at a wet skid to maximise embarrassment, realisation and learning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes.

Spend a few hundred hours honing emergency response is a far better safety option than generic electronics

Prove it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Spending hundreds or thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to save 5mb of weight in my car's infotainment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

You'd love my old Toyota:

Manual. No Tach.

Brand new Toyota:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes.

Spend a few hundred hours honing emergency response is a far better safety option than generic electronics but that wont happen for the general populace. For Automotive Insanity types high performance driving courses even if you have a lot of track time is life saving and educational.

I would recommend finding a day at a wet skid to maximise embarrassment, realisation and learning.

What does that have to do with Apple Carplay. Also, lol.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

And I can almost guarantee that within 10 years people will have figured out how to root their Android Auto car, all bets are off at that point. poo poo will be super weird the first time someone hits a pedestrian and tries to blame it on their car's custom Android ROM

The Android OS runs on a virtual machine to insulate it from the rest of the car's systems. Also, I imagine an OS from Google to be far safer than all those rickety infotainment systems in existing cars.

QuarkJets posted:

That's probably correct

Polestar claims that their Polestar 2 and 3 vehicles cannot be tracked natively; that was a feature of the Polestar 1. You can turn off mobile data or even remove the sim card if you want the car to be offline, it's in a little slot next to the overhead lights. Not sure if it's possible to turn off the GPS

GPS doesn't have a back channel, it's a one-way system.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 30, 2021

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

It only applies to cars under £20k iirc but I'll need to check

However it's a 6 year loan so repayments are also something we are factoring in etc etc.

We aren't sold on any car yet but it needs to have a non-poo poo boot.

Oh I just checked. it's to £28k

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/grants-and-loans/electric-vehicle-loan/

The only EV on the market right now with a boot like the Outlander is the Skoda Enyaq.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Yeep posted:

The only EV on the market right now with a boot like the Outlander is the Skoda Enyaq.

Oh no I'm not expecting the same size as an Outlander that would be mental.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Oh no I'm not expecting the same size as an Outlander that would be mental.

I think you’re going to struggle to find anything without a poo poo boot for under £20k. That’s realistically a second hand Zoe, i3 or Leaf. The first 2 are small city cars and the leaf is a large hatchback. All of them will have sub-200 mile range and on the off chance you find a long range Leaf in budget you’ll have to deal with Nissan’s bizarre decision to bolt the subwoofer bang in the middle of the boot.

£28k is the maximum loan for a new EV. It used to be a £35k loan on cars up to £50k but I can’t see an upper limit on the vehicle value any more and there are cars on the eligible list that start at £48k. Second hand cars have to be £20k or less to qualify for the loan.

The Energy Savings Trust can be really slow, so if you think you’re going to buy a car soon, especially one that might disappear like a second hand vehicle, get the application started now. If you pay anything other than a deposit you can’t apply for the loan and at one point they were taking over 6 weeks to process applications.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

If you are challenging that that then I have to think you haven't done a advanced driving day. And you really should do a few because it's the best investment car-wise you will ever make, not trying to be a smartass either, you genuinely should as it will make you a much better and safer driver, it's also a good deal of fun. But in the end you learn and you become a better driver.

Driver training is something I'm am passionate about and have done on both sides for many years - I have also run events catering to beginners or up to national level racers and while I realise a lot of this cant be put into hard numbers I can talk about a slew of things electronics can not correct. Do you know how your car transitions when you are on the brakes? Do you know it reacts to sudden movements, have you even engaged ABS? Do you know where to sit to best control a car? Can you catch a oversteer movement? Do you understand the principle of smooth inputs? How about being able to not freeze when you realize it's all gone wrong?

Or that the best strategy is learn how not to get into a bad situation in the first place? That sounds kinda dismissive but there are some simple things you can do like the proper place to be looking forward, situation awareness, or even down to do you check your tyre pressures? That's actually a bit of a trick I've had pulled when being a student and done later myself - while the attendees are being spoken to about catch and recover theory, go round and check tyre pressures on the cars.... it's quite normal to have a bunch with pressures just simply too low. Tyre pressures make such a difference to getting your rear end out of a bad situation but have you checked them lately?

So how about the smoothness principle? What am I going on about there? Well, think about this and this will make sense when you stop and think. If you wanted to get the most juice out of an orange to drink, would you squeeze it or smash it with a bat? Same goes for a car chassis - rough inputs upsets the chassis and puts you in an even worse situation, while smooth (and that doesnt mean slow either, you can be smooth and lightning fast) works with the chassis and coaxes the best out of it so that in an emergency you arent making it worse. Braking is the same. Squeezing the brakes gets the car to threshold, slamming the brakes just makes the tyres lock - you should be squeezing progressively enough that the ABS doesnt kick in and you will stop considerably shorter.

Also do you know the correct response to when ABS does begin to pulse and push back against the brake pedal? Because most ordinary drivers dont and poo poo themselves and make the situation worse.

Push back harder. Drivers unaware of ABS pulsing often just lift brake pressure. They just slam into the back of the car in front

I dont want you to shitpost or be all "k, whatever" or wether I didnt spread out numbers, I want you to stop and think about the questions I'm asking about your driving knowledge and ability here. I wont be writing anywhere near enough to even scratch the surface, this takes hours of lectures and hands on to become something you can execute in a swerve and recover (Do you know the worst thing you can do in the initial swerve is brake and being on the throttle is often the right idea? Do you know why?) . This is me being genuinely concerned that you are able to get home at night because there sure as gently caress are a lot of people who wont be who very, very likely would be still with us if they had some real driver training and why I want you to stop and really think about this issue. None of this is about going fast I add. This is about you and me just simply being safe, competent drivers able to deal with emergency situations more ably - or even better - just not get yourself in the situation in the first place. There more to saying electronics aren't as good as humans should be than wether you can catch a 160kph slide and more to saying driver licensing is woefully inadequate than how do you brake in an emergency

This is one time you shouldnt shitpost in reply but to take a step back, think, then go book a driving day. It's not going to too far to say the life you could save is your own, lord knows before I had my first advanced day I was loving crap. Hell, the first thing I do once I get the turbo setup in my Forester going is go book a skidpan day to work on my driving safety, because in the end I really do have a passion for being the best driver I can be and helping others be likewise.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can you brake individual wheels? No, not even with hundreds of hours at the skid pad. The computer can and it does it before you can react. Driver training complements electronic aids, it doesn't replace it. I am going on both a skid pad and an ice lake when I get my Model 3, but it will be to learn how the entire car works, including the electronic aids.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Didn't you just describe basically everything you are taught when learning to drive?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Your points work only on your skilled driver angle. You are missing every granma with poor eyesight, any teenager texting, any imbecile with a truck with less visibility than an IFV and lots of others. The driving aids are not there because the motoring industry wants to throw shade, they are there because the average of drivers are poo poo and the majority of distracted/inattentive drivers sure as gently caress are not going to invest time on drivers ed. When the average driving license barely requires a pulse you need something to compensate for poo poo drivers, which is the gizmos in driving aids main purpose, making a poo poo driver slow down or be attentive on the road and taking control to save lives if required.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 30, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also do you know the correct response to when ABS does begin to pulse and push back against the brake pedal? Because most ordinary drivers dont and poo poo themselves and make the situation worse.

Push back harder. Drivers unaware of ABS pulsing often just lift brake pressure. They just slam into the back of the car in front

Interesting. Must be due to lack of decent drivers ed. Not braking hard enough using the ABS is pretty much the only segment in the risk assessment course you can fail the whole course on.'

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 30, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Electronic stability control and electronic traction control are features that absolutely save lives outside of the race track. If anything these features are still very inadequate, just watch videos of people driving on icy bridges and see how 99% of them slam on the brakes when they start to spin out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

First of all, this is extremely insulting.

Second of all, absolutely none of this is any sort of evidence that you're better at controlling a car that e.g. hits a patch of snow mid corner than modern ESC. Its reasoning that good drivers are better than bad drivers, not good drivers are better than ESC.

Ola posted:

Can you brake individual wheels? No, not even with hundreds of hours at the skid pad. The computer can and it does it before you can react. Driver training complements electronic aids, it doesn't replace it. I am going on both a skid pad and an ice lake when I get my Model 3, but it will be to learn how the entire car works, including the electronic aids.

I agree with Ola.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A reasonably skilled driver with the assistance of modern ABS/SCS equipment is nearly immune to single-car accidents.

An idiot with the same vehicle will still roll it.

A reasonably skilled driver might be a few tenths faster around a dry racetrack with all that stuff turned off.

These are all separate arguments.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

A reasonably skilled driver with the assistance of modern ABS/SCS equipment is nearly immune to single-car accidents.

An idiot with the same vehicle will still roll it.

A reasonably skilled driver might be a few tenths faster around a dry racetrack with all that stuff turned off.

These are all separate arguments.

The argument here though isn't really any of those three things though is it?

It's that a skilled driver is safer in emergency maneuver/inclement weather/icy conditions with all that stuff turned off, right?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bird with big dick posted:

The argument here though isn't really any of those three things though is it?

It's that a skilled driver is safer in emergency maneuver/inclement weather/icy conditions with all that stuff turned off, right?

One could argue that, but it’s demonstrably false. You can be FASTER in those conditions, but not safer. Anything else is just stroking your own ego.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I agree.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I'm really confused that someone is coming into the most pro-tech thread in AI, and making GBS threads all over tech and expecting people to slap their back and agree wholeheartedly. Or they're just screaming into the ether. That's weird as hell too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Look, I just want a simple 1970s car without any fancy pants "e-lectricals" like "ABS" or "Collision Avoidance Braking". Why doesn't the market cater to my edge-case needs?! Why am I forced into subservience by these tech lords!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeep posted:

Listen, I know that car names are getting more ridiculous evey year, but at least try to put a bit more effort than just slamming your hands on the keyboard and calling it a day.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Kunabomber posted:

I'm really confused that someone is coming into the most pro-tech thread in AI, and making GBS threads all over tech and expecting people to slap their back and agree wholeheartedly. Or they're just screaming into the ether. That's weird as hell too.

I agree with them. I’m converting my Tesla to an classic mechanical engine design that I read about on the Internet. No fancy chips or buttons, and it even reduces my electricity use to zero! Just fill up a tank with old dinosaur juice and go.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sonic Dude posted:

I agree with them. I’m converting my Tesla to an classic mechanical engine design that I read about on the Internet. No fancy chips or buttons, and it even reduces my electricity use to zero! Just fill up a tank with old dinosaur juice and go.

Crate 350, man.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you are challenging that that then I have to think you haven't done a advanced driving day. And you really should do a few because it's the best investment car-wise you will ever make, not trying to be a smartass either, you genuinely should as it will make you a much better and safer driver, it's also a good deal of fun. But in the end you learn and you become a better driver.

Driver training is something I'm am passionate about and have done on both sides for many years - I have also run events catering to beginners or up to national level racers and while I realise a lot of this cant be put into hard numbers I can talk about a slew of things electronics can not correct. Do you know how your car transitions when you are on the brakes? Do you know it reacts to sudden movements, have you even engaged ABS? Do you know where to sit to best control a car? Can you catch a oversteer movement? Do you understand the principle of smooth inputs? How about being able to not freeze when you realize it's all gone wrong?

Or that the best strategy is learn how not to get into a bad situation in the first place? That sounds kinda dismissive but there are some simple things you can do like the proper place to be looking forward, situation awareness, or even down to do you check your tyre pressures? That's actually a bit of a trick I've had pulled when being a student and done later myself - while the attendees are being spoken to about catch and recover theory, go round and check tyre pressures on the cars.... it's quite normal to have a bunch with pressures just simply too low. Tyre pressures make such a difference to getting your rear end out of a bad situation but have you checked them lately?

So how about the smoothness principle? What am I going on about there? Well, think about this and this will make sense when you stop and think. If you wanted to get the most juice out of an orange to drink, would you squeeze it or smash it with a bat? Same goes for a car chassis - rough inputs upsets the chassis and puts you in an even worse situation, while smooth (and that doesnt mean slow either, you can be smooth and lightning fast) works with the chassis and coaxes the best out of it so that in an emergency you arent making it worse. Braking is the same. Squeezing the brakes gets the car to threshold, slamming the brakes just makes the tyres lock - you should be squeezing progressively enough that the ABS doesnt kick in and you will stop considerably shorter.

I dont want you to shitpost or be all "k, whatever" or wether I didnt spread out numbers, I want you to stop and think about the questions I'm asking about your driving knowledge and ability here. I wont be writing anywhere near enough to even scratch the surface, this takes hours of lectures and hands on to become something you can execute in a swerve and recover (Do you know the worst thing you can do in the initial swerve is brake and being on the throttle is often the right idea? Do you know why?) . This is me being genuinely concerned that you are able to get home at night because there sure as gently caress are a lot of people who wont be who very, very likely would be still with us if they had some real driver training and why I want you to stop and really think about this issue. None of this is about going fast I add. This is about you and me just simply being safe, competent drivers able to deal with emergency situations more ably - or even better - just not get yourself in the situation in the first place. There more to saying electronics aren't as good as humans should be than wether you can catch a 160kph slide and more to saying driver licensing is woefully inadequate than how do you brake in an emergency

This is one time you shouldnt shitpost in reply but to take a step back, think, then go book a driving day. It's not going to too far to say the life you could save is your own, lord knows before I had my first advanced day I was loving crap. Hell, the first thing I do once I get the turbo setup in my Forester going is go book a skidpan day to work on my driving safety, because in the end I really do have a passion for being the best driver I can be and helping others be likewise.

OK we get it, you don't like Apple CarPlay

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Sonic Dude posted:

Ok Mr rich rebuilds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’m honestly surprised how slowly the newly announced Toyota EV does 0-60. I know there are other important measures of acceleration (0-30 and throttle response) and it isn’t a priority for their target demographic, but is there any justifiable reason a mainstream consumer EV should take more than 8 seconds to get there? I’m mostly considering this from a safety perspective.