Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man I'm getting tired of the unskippable cutscenes in Mario Galaxy. Especially the final mission and end credits, if you're going for 100% completion you ultimately have to sit through all that four times :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cythereal posted:

More Control. I seriously cannot find the DLC. I was given the Ultimate Edition. I've confirmed through Steam that I have the Ultimate Edition. I beat the base game. And I cannot figure out how to activate the DLC. I'm told that one's a button in the elevator and one's a quest in the Executive Sector, but I sure am not seeing anything.

It's been a while but IIRC for Foundation you have to talk to the security guy in the Executive Sector main room and he'll tell you about the new area.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

muscles like this! posted:

It's been a while but IIRC for Foundation you have to talk to the security guy in the Executive Sector main room and he'll tell you about the new area.

I've talked to everyone I could find in the Executive Sector, I didn't notice anything. Please be more specific since no one in the regular Control thread has been able to tell me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds like you're suffering from...
🕶
... a lack of Control. *YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH*

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
While anticipating the "frights" in the Outer Wild DLC, a completely innocuous thing made me jump: The first time I activated one of those teleporter totem things in the virtual world.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

I've talked to everyone I could find in the Executive Sector, I didn't notice anything. Please be more specific since no one in the regular Control thread has been able to tell me.

Did you complete the main story yet?

Edit: yes you have

Edit 2: you've probably seen this

https://steamcommunity.com/app/870780/discussions/0/3124911622542581990/

Len has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Oct 28, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

While anticipating the "frights" in the Outer Wild DLC, a completely innocuous thing made me jump: The first time I activated one of those teleporter totem things in the virtual world.

They're so innocuous but also unsettling, it owns. The dlc is flat out terrifying in places, doesnt even need the rubbish stealth sections.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Len posted:

Did you complete the main story yet?

Edit: yes you have

Edit 2: you've probably seen this

https://steamcommunity.com/app/870780/discussions/0/3124911622542581990/

Hadn't seen that, but yeah. I got the game through a Humble Bundle code from a friend who already had the game, and despite the Humble Bundle version of the game being called Ultimate Edition, it doesn't have Foundation or AWE.

Thank you, and gently caress you Humble Bundle.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kit Walker posted:

Actually, now that I looked it up, I never realized that there actually is an anglerfish in the first chamber of Dark Bramble. I never ran into it because I was always being guided by something but I'm glad to know I was flying with a clenched butthole for a reason

Yeah it's pretty funny, you can make it all the way to the guy stuck in there and from there to the thing behind him without even knowing what the 'secret' to avoiding the anglerfish is just if you go fast enough and follow the signal.

It was actually the first place I went beyond the Attlerock in my proper playthrough, just because I wanted to know wtf a guy was doing in there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cythereal posted:

Hadn't seen that, but yeah. I got the game through a Humble Bundle code from a friend who already had the game, and despite the Humble Bundle version of the game being called Ultimate Edition, it doesn't have Foundation or AWE.

Thank you, and gently caress you Humble Bundle.

This was my very first thought but I guess I'm late. I wouldn't blame Humble so much as the publisher for the game. They specifically created a special non-complete version of Control just for that one bundle so they could hook people on the DLC sales. You literally can't buy the game that way anywhere else that I know of, it was a totally bespoke thing and as such all of the database stuff across Steam and Humble alike say it's the Ultimate edition because, well, why the gently caress would there ever be a different version that nobody sells?

Is it any surprise between poo poo like that and the fuckery surrounding the PS5 upgrade that Remedy took the Epic money instead of working with those dipshits again?

(FWIW on my Humble Monthly page it is both listed as Control Standard Edition and has a warning specifically pointing out that redeeming it on Steam will show it as the Ultimate Edition when it's not. So also kinda partly your friend's fault.)

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Oct 28, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

bewilderment posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny, you can make it all the way to the guy stuck in there and from there to the thing behind him without even knowing what the 'secret' to avoiding the anglerfish is just if you go fast enough and follow the signal.

It was actually the first place I went beyond the Attlerock in my proper playthrough, just because I wanted to know wtf a guy was doing in there.

That's the point imo. If you follow the signal you don't run into any anglerfish so you don't have to solve that puzzle or figure out the solution to getting past them yet, but LATER when you find the signal for the third crashed ship and want to get to it, THEN there are fish in your path and you have to figure it out.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The thing that dragged down Outer Wilds for me was that the gravity simulation of the tiny clockwork universe was so rudimentary that I couldn't even enter a stable orbit around the starting planet so I could get my bearings, and instead I crashed and died instantly after I went into orbit.

(I loved it after I came back a few months later).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got Dishonored 2 recently because it was on sale. Good game overall, but I don't think it had quite the impact of the original. Anyway there's this one stage near the end when you raid the shining, opulent palace of one of the main bad guys, and it made me realize how much I dislike the squalor that is the main aesthetic for like 90% of the game's locations. I guess it's supposed to highlight how the world is going to poo poo under the rule of your enemies, but it's just draining to have everywhere you go be a trash strewn, fly infested, dilapidated poo poo hole. The few places that aren't like that are easily the game's best and most memorable locations.

It's kind of like like playing Fallout where you're constantly thinking "drat dude, you live here, at least clean the human skeletons out of your refrigerator."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah those are freaky.

Phobophilia posted:

The thing that dragged down Outer Wilds for me was that the gravity simulation of the tiny clockwork universe was so rudimentary that I couldn't even enter a stable orbit around the starting planet so I could get my bearings, and instead I crashed and died instantly after I went into orbit.

(I loved it after I came back a few months later).

It's a pretty good simulation overall but has a bunch of hacks to make the thing stable and playable (eg gravity is linear close to planets). And even then there are still odd results (like one of the moons crashing into the sun under certain circumstances that only recently got fixed)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rhythm platformer mad rat dead is pretty difficult from the go and only ramps up from there, but the final boss is the only part that got me Actually Mad. it remixes the beat on the fly, which i've come to expect from rhythm game endbosses thanks to thumper, but it also employs the forbidden technique of "wasting your loving time" - every stage has a time limit and this boss goes on so long that the clock's going to come down to the wire even if you do relatively well. it has nine phases, with each third phase containing a platforming section that's made far harder than it should because your movement is determined by the beat and that means you either need to have a metronome for a brain or wait until the background music stops having a seizure and goes back to something like a regular tempo

banging soundtrack though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-He7Xc0uQ

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah it is really hard to describe. The openness of space is fine but put me next to something MASSIVE in it, like celestial size (and god forbid it is moving) :ohno:

I had this happen to me with Dyson Sphere Program, oddly enough. The first time I had to go to a gas giant had quite the effect on me since it was so, so much bigger than the planets I'd been to by that point. Going to a star (or worse, a neutron star or black hole) was even more profound. It was weird, for a game that is otherwise 100% about peaceful factorizing planets.

They're going to add combat and I find it hard to believe that won't end up bringing the game down.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Oxxidation posted:

rhythm platformer mad rat dead is pretty difficult from the go and only ramps up from there, but the final boss is the only part that got me Actually Mad. it remixes the beat on the fly, which i've come to expect from rhythm game endbosses thanks to thumper, but it also employs the forbidden technique of "wasting your loving time" - every stage has a time limit and this boss goes on so long that the clock's going to come down to the wire even if you do relatively well. it has nine phases, with each third phase containing a platforming section that's made far harder than it should because your movement is determined by the beat and that means you either need to have a metronome for a brain or wait until the background music stops having a seizure and goes back to something like a regular tempo

banging soundtrack though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-He7Xc0uQ

My complaint about Mad Rat Dead is that the beat marker is not very easy to keep an eye on during platforming, which makes properly reacting to the game doing something other than "tap at the song's bpm" three minutes into a six minute song a bit hard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Red Minjo posted:

My complaint about Mad Rat Dead is that the beat marker is not very easy to keep an eye on during platforming, which makes properly reacting to the game doing something other than "tap at the song's bpm" three minutes into a six minute song a bit hard.

after playing a stage a few times you can usually anticipate the rhythm changes

until you try hard mode, which adds half-beats. then you can go gently caress yourself

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugh, I completely forgot that the special reward level Mario Galaxy gives you for 100%-ing the game a second time as Luigi is just collecting 100 purple coins in the very linear opening cutscene map with no enemies. I was sure I remembered a super tough challenge level like in the sequel. Man, Galaxy 2 just did the postgame challenge and level reward so much better, this one's like the literal definition of 'why bother' :negative:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ok so I've hit a point in Subnautica where I'm not sure what to do. I've built my hot pink Prawn suit which...I can't really use because I only have the drill arm attachment and if I take it anywhere deep, I can't recover it. Against the odds, I christened the Cyclops class submarine, the "SS Shrieking Fishmonster" (Ok that wouldn't fit so I just named the thing, "Fishmonster") in the hopes of confusing the other fishmonsters it didn't work

I guess I'm just at a loss. Is this supposed to be "Save Scum: The Game?". Entering areas with leviathans/giant woobly-head crab monsters almost always gets me killed and I have to quickly reload so as not to lose my boats because A) The areas they are in tend to have very low visibility B) They see me before I see them C) I'm far too slow to outrun them and D) LOL they're attracted to light. Am I just supposed to blindly run around with my lights off and pray that I find something new? As far as I can tell, I'm absolutely supposed to have to tackle these things somehow but fighting them just does not seem feasible and would require the same degree of luck blindly trying to avoid them/running away does. I made it to the Aurora and back because I just got lucky and didn't encounter anything big. Is that supposed to be how I play the entire game?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Ok so I've hit a point in Subnautica where I'm not sure what to do.
What's the max depth you can get to in your various vehicles, and how far down have you gone?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You can bring your prawn suit with you in your cyclops. Also you have a seamoth, right? That should be your primary means of exploration, and with blueprints should get you most of the way down.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's the max depth you can get to in your various vehicles, and how far down have you gone?

No idea on the Prawn suit. It's stock except for the drill arm and hull reinforcement. Wiki says 900m but that's kinda pointless since the cyclops can only dive to 500m and I have no way to get it back to the sub. Cyclops is bone stock (500m?) except for the engine efficiency module. I crafted the upgrade station farming rubies near lifepod 19 but no idea where to find Nickel which is holding me back a bit. Seamoth can dive to 300m. I could potentially farm the materials to take it to the same level as the Cyclops with the MKII depth module but I'm not sure if that's worth it at the moment.

Stuff I've done:
* I explored the trench near lifeboat 19. I built a forward operating base/scanner in the mushroom forest area which was helpful. I tried going north of there (death) also west of there to a big open area (death).

* As previously mentioned, I managed to sneak onto the Aurora, repair the reactor and loot it thoroughly. Whoever told me to bring fire extinguishers, thank you! I snagged the Prawn suit, some cyclops stuff and the replusion cannon which has been super handy for dealing with bone sharks. Not so useful vs. shrieking fishmonsters.

* I've busted into a bunch of wrecks with the laser cutter and found some useful stuff (modification station, power cell charger, glide fins).

* I build a little scanner station in the mushroom forest to help farm shale/search for fragments which netted me a desalination plant which made me happy. I figured out really quickly why you should not have 2 of those in your base though. Even with 2 bioreactors running full-steam and a half dozen solar panels, I couldn't keep them both online if I ran the scanner.

* I tried going S/SW of the shallows with the cyclops and hit an area with big glowing blue balls floating around and ran into something big/reloaded.

* I decorated my base with kitten posters and toys.

* I explored the big orbital cannon site and got 3 energon cubes and some other stuff.

I think that's about it. Oh and another thing, energy management in the Cyclops is just loving horrible. Even with the efficiency module installed it just chews through power cells and I find myself lugging an entire spare set of them around. Building a charging station on the cyclops itself seems like a bad idea so to charge them, I have to run all the way back to my base and sit there for 10 min or so while I recharge my main set of power cells + backups.

Edit: Was debating farming a 3rd set of power cells but lol.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Oct 29, 2021

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Im interested cause I’m weirdly in the exact same position as the other poster.

Built the cyclops, my prawn suit has drill and grappling hook. Cleaned out the Aurora and have escape plans. Absolutely zero clue what to do or where to go next. I was very goal focused up until this point.

I left a beacon back where I got blood oil to build the sub, that area was pretty deep I guess?

^^^^ I was messing around with the grappling hook, with it you can climb pretty sheer walls with the jump jets, so you can get a little deeper than the sub
Double edit: my bases suck and are basically just rooms with solar chargers and all the upgrade and fabrication stations, and a moon pool with an upgrade. I have 3 set up in different spots on the map, but I don’t have any cool poo poo yet. Maybe i could start there!

Capital Letdown has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Oct 29, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sometimes you're just going to have to venture into a deadly area in search of blueprints, and hope that nothing notices you while you stick to dark corners and the floor.

Also, have you tried using the scanner to search for nickel and/or blueprints (can't remember if blueprints are an option).

But yeah at a certain point the game becomes a lot more about exploring without any particular objectives, trying to find blueprints and just general direction, which is really a low point in it. I think at this point I consulted a walkthrough to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
At least you have the grappling hook. I'd probably feel more comfortable running around in the prawn suit if I had that.

Morpheus posted:

Sometimes you're just going to have to venture into a deadly area in search of blueprints, and hope that nothing notices you while you stick to dark corners and the floor.

Also, have you tried using the scanner to search for nickel and/or blueprints (can't remember if blueprints are an option).

But yeah at a certain point the game becomes a lot more about exploring without any particular objectives, trying to find blueprints and just general direction, which is really a low point in it. I think at this point I consulted a walkthrough to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.

So yeah, it really is just "Save Scum: The Game" then. That's something of a letdown. The game is very good at making you claw for every inch and giving you a sense of accomplishment as you do stuff but "dumb luck" is a poor game mechanic when it comes to dealing with giant jumpscare monsters.

Yes, I've used scanners to search for fragments in several places. No, I can't scan for nickel because it has never been an option in any of the places I've built one. I had an idea to potentially build a scanner right on the edge of one of those dangerous areas to try to create something of an early warning system for leviathans - does that work? I'm not sure if they can be scanned (I know the reefbacks can) - and didn't want to waste time lugging resources around if it wasn't possible. Also you can't scan for 2 things at the same time so even if I did that, I couldn't guide myself to fragments and avoid leviathans at the same time.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Oct 29, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maxing out the Seamoth's depth is a good option. It won't get you everywhere but it will let you explore a lot.

Have you been to the floating island? That should give you some direction.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maxing out the Seamoth's depth is a good option. It won't get you everywhere but it will let you explore a lot.

The big one with the Degasi bases? Yeah, I've been there. That directed me to the mushroom caves but that was something of a dead-end although I did get a desalination plant and part of a nuclear reactor blueprint out of the deal.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ok I'll focus on doing that + looking for deep shrooms for the perimeter defense module (can't find those either).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

The big one with the Degasi bases? Yeah, I've been there. That directed me to the mushroom caves but that was something of a dead-end although I did get a desalination plant and part of a nuclear reactor blueprint out of the deal.
You should get another lead from there to somewhere deeper.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I’ll go back to through the logs I picked up there and/or revisit the island then. Thanks. Maybe I missed something.

Edit: Checked at lunch and yeah, I sure did. I have a signal active for the "250m Degassi habitat" but I'm not seeing it on my HUD. Ran some errands - got deep shrooms and made the perimeter defense system for the SeaMoth, got the light stick blueprint and set up grow beds for deep shrooms and blood vines - Hah, I went to farm more rubies and the signal popped up for the habitat so I guess I'll check that out. Also found an alien vent? down there. Not sure what that's about.

Thanks again.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Oct 29, 2021

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
I think the scanner can only detect things in areas which have been loaded into memory - you may need to build one a bit deeper, do some exploring to load more areas around the scan room into memory, then go back to it and see if nickel is now an option.

I'm pretty sure the upgraded seamoth can take you to the depth where nickel spawns, or within free diving distance at least.
If not you may need the cyclops to get you there.

Once you have the grapple and jump jets for the prawn it becomes a lot more maneuverable and capable of getting up decent vertical distances by itself.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pseudohog posted:

Once you have the grapple and jump jets for the prawn it becomes a lot more maneuverable and capable of getting up decent vertical distances by itself.

Yeah but I don’t have either of those things so I just don’t use it. I absolutely would though.

Edit: I mainly want it so I can jump down into the jellyshroom caves and drill large lithium deposits because I am tired of farming shale deposits at a 1 in 3 chance or whatever it is.

Double Edit: Jesus christ turns out Lithium is just lying all over the ground outside of deposits in the mushroom forest area. Ok well that helps.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Oct 29, 2021

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I’ve never seen the next ‘tier’ I guess of materials for a lot of the vehicle upgrades, and even repulsion cannon. I haven’t seen nickel or magnetite.

I just went to my mod station to look and definitely feel like I’m missing something. If I had magnetite I have everything else to jump the seamoth right to depth 3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Magnetite is found all over the Jelly Shroom Caves.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

So yeah, it really is just "Save Scum: The Game" then. That's something of a letdown. The game is very good at making you claw for every inch and giving you a sense of accomplishment as you do stuff but "dumb luck" is a poor game mechanic when it comes to dealing with giant jumpscare monsters.

The seamoth can outrun things, the prawn is very tough and can drill things to make them piss off, and the cyclops shows threats on sonar and has variable speed/noise settings + decoy tubes + shield options which are all enough to get past any threat, although I wouldn’t recommend freely exploring with it because it sucks to drive so those should only be things you have to use on your way somewhere. if seeing a crabsquid is a save scum situation for you then you’re doing something wrong.

You can hop out of the seamoth/prawn and fix them with the repair tool in seconds so getting hit once or twice isn’t a big deal either

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Capital Letdown posted:

I’ve never seen the next ‘tier’ I guess of materials for a lot of the vehicle upgrades, and even repulsion cannon. I haven’t seen nickel or magnetite.

I just went to my mod station to look and definitely feel like I’m missing something. If I had magnetite I have everything else to jump the seamoth right to depth 3.

What the last guy said but magnetite is actually one of the materials that's pretty easy to come by with almost no risk. The area it's in is easy to explore. There are a few aggros but they ignore you unless you get really close and even then, they're not a threat to you if you're in your Sea Moth. There's a whole bunch of fun stuff down there too. It's a good place to set up a scanner room if you want to get everything that's in the area.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The seamoth can outrun things, the prawn is very tough and can drill things to make them piss off, and the cyclops shows threats on sonar and has variable speed/noise settings + decoy tubes + shield options which are all enough to get past any threat, although I wouldn’t recommend freely exploring with it because it sucks to drive so those should only be things you have to use on your way somewhere. if seeing a crabsquid is a save scum situation for you then you’re doing something wrong.

You can hop out of the seamoth/prawn and fix them with the repair tool in seconds so getting hit once or twice isn’t a big deal either

I am very familiar at running away from things in the Seamoth. I just need to improve its dive depth so it's off to ruby farm I guess. The prawn is kinda useless to me right now because I don't have either the grapple arm or jump jet upgrades. I lack the blueprint for the former and the materials for the latter. I don't have the sonar module for the cyclops yet. I know about the variable engine settings but usually keep it on "slow" to conserve juice. I see the decoy tube on the bridge but don't have anything to put in it and don't have the shield module.

Edit: The noodle headed crabmonsters (Crab squid) hit me with some sort of EMP blast and I panicked because there were 2 of them and one of those centipede electric eel things and I quit to the title screen.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Oct 29, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nah the emp just shuts things off for a little bit before booting back up.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I don't think I ever manually loaded a game to revert something in Subnautica :confused: are you referring to just dying and being set back as save scumming? If you're wearing headphones though you can hear reapers from far away, they make a slow distant whooshing sound, I never really tried to find another form of early warning system for them because I was always playing with headphones. They also are very territorial and won't chase you far outside that territory, so if you get attacked in your Seamoth/Prawn you can generally get away from them by just retreating the way you came.

The giant woobly-head crab monsters are a pain in the rear end but they should only be a (usually non-lethal) problem if you're trying to get to something right by them--the whole biome is covered in glowing poo poo so why do you even need your lights on if you're not just shining them at walls in places it'd be safe to mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In Hades, that mini-boss room in Asphodel with the witches can gently caress right of. I only seen to get that room on runs without any Athena boons or even the shield as my weapon.