Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
like seriously dude netflix chapelle discourse was like a week ago and you actually think anything spiked has ever done is even a drop of piss in the bucket compared to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
The sonic meme says the netflix show is ok to like

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ToxicAcne posted:

My friend was telling me a story about how he met some Pakistani guy who came to Canada as a late teenager and was a straight up supporter of the PPC (far right party in Canada) so that's not really surprising.

Almost everything people here criticize rich Latin Americans also applies to rich South Asians, and rich people elsewhere too I'm presuming.

our immigration system also tends to handpick people who are wealthy and have an advanced education, so you're effectively pulling in wealthy people who don't want what wealth they've scraped together taxed or their childrens' future impacted by costly social programs.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i want to be clear, i have not seen nomadland. the van life stuff I mostly hear about from people who see it as an aspirational lifestyle.

who watches stuff before posting about it? weird behavior.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
You can watch the last 20 minutes of nomadland and you'll pretty much have seen the whole thing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Guy TT posted:

like seriously dude netflix chapelle discourse was like a week ago and you actually think anything spiked has ever done is even a drop of piss in the bucket compared to that

spiked and the wider spiked network are absolutely enmeshed with the current tory government in the UK so yeah, I'm pretty happy to say that their creepy cult is worse than netflix even given their nonsense with chapelle

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My biggest criticism of squid game is that the show took the coward's way out when they had Sang-woo kill himself rather than Gi-hun finishing the game, or get gunned down for refusing to play

it should have had sang woo win the game

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Weird how everybody has charitable political reading of stuff that "takes the cowards way out" of co-opting critique into the big tent of hope-based entertainment on the convenient streaming platform they spend all free time looking at.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
heroically restraining myself from discussing dune since i havent seen the movie dont really want to and read the book like a decade ago

but eternals chat is fine because lol kingo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

josh04 posted:

spiked and the wider spiked network are absolutely enmeshed with the current tory government in the UK so yeah, I'm pretty happy to say that their creepy cult is worse than netflix even given their nonsense with chapelle

given that id never even heard of spiked before seeing the link to that week old article i am skeptical their platform is of comparable prominence to that of netflix

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
They used to have that Jonathan Pie guy doing videos for them but without disclosing it I believe.

Back then I presumed they were the kind of "leftists" that currently would be portrayed by the red scare girls.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Police_monitoring posted:

The sonic meme says the netflix show is ok to like

I'm happy for people to like it, I'm happy for people to find enjoyment in whatever media they please (even Harry Potter), but if you try to tell me it's an anticapitalist masterpiece I'm gonna point out how absurdly stupid that is

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
ahh but you see, this owns the chuds

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

given that id never even heard of spiked before seeing the link to that week old article i am skeptical their platform is of comparable prominence to that of netflix

spiked serves a different role than Netflix. Netflix is mass media for a huge audience. Spike targets a smaller number of politically engaged people. It exists in part so conservatives and reactionaries can say they have Marxists and left wingers on their side.

honestly the squid games article seems fine if sort of pointless, and is probably cover for their worse anti-trans and anti-worker bullshit. cultural critique is low stakes, but can be a way to shore up their "marxist" bonafides.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

Prominence among the plebs matters far less than prominence among the ruling class. Trots fully digest leftism to turn themselves into powerful propagandist pedophiles for the far right.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i don't like squid game cause i don't like gyro aiming. not a huge fan of the art and aesthetic either. inkling is kinda fun to play in smash

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Prominence among the plebs matters far less than prominence among the ruling class. Trots fully digest leftism to turn themselves into powerful propagandist pedophiles for the far right.

ive got some bad news about whos been putting in the most effort to signal boost the squid game capitalism discourse

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Dreylad posted:

our immigration system also tends to handpick people who are wealthy and have an advanced education, so you're effectively pulling in wealthy people who don't want what wealth they've scraped together taxed or their childrens' future impacted by costly social programs.

To be fair Pakistanis tend to be among the more poorer ethnic groups in the country, although also probably one of the most economically stratified. There was some York professor who did a study highlighting the rate of poverty in the community and he got death threats by people who don't want to think of Pakistanis as anything other than professional class.

You can see the same class divisions in the Sikh community too and probably the Chinese one as well

https://www.dawn.com/news/1298978

Here is the article in question but it's more bootsrrappy than I remembered.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

i don't like squid game cause i don't like gyro aiming. not a huge fan of the art and aesthetic either. inkling is kinda fun to play in smash

every game on switch should have gyro aiming as a toggle in settings. most of my annoyance with subnautica was how fiddly up-close aiming is and I wished I could switch to gyro for it, but being forced to use it all the time in games sucks poo poo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

ive got some bad news about whos been putting in the most effort to signal boost the squid game capitalism discourse
Its Trots

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

it should have had sang woo win the game

hard agree. But then we wouldn't get a potential *~second season hook~* or whatever moral they tried to wring out of it right at the very end there

001/Il-nam being the host blew my mind though, especially since the end of ep 6 really hosed me up. He had me totally fooled lol

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Oct 29, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
a big part of why i didnt like the sequel hook is that our hero has almost no useful abilities and all his potential allies are dead so its hard to imagine what exactly he can even do thats not just the cop subplot but dumber somehow

the alternate suggested ending has much better potential because in addition to that character being more competent hes also more hypocritical so i could definitely see him attempting a redemption arc solely because hes bought into his own bullshit

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

a big part of why i didnt like the sequel hook is that our hero has almost no useful abilities and all his potential allies are dead so its hard to imagine what exactly he can even do thats not just the cop subplot but dumber somehow

the alternate suggested ending has much better potential because in addition to that character being more competent hes also more hypocritical so i could definitely see him attempting a redemption arc solely because hes bought into his own bullshit

chekhov's bomb was never detonated

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Some Guy TT posted:

spiked is the news arm of the former revolutionary communist party, a cult-like organisation of uk trots from the 80s who had their brains melted by getting sued over denying the bosnian genocide and now spend their time doing the long march through the institutions with their ethos of "everyone else doing leftism is wrong, the correct way to be a leftist is to constantly moan about cancel culture". three former members stood as candidates for the Brexit party at the last election. one was made a peer by Boris Johnson. another is the director of the policy unit at 10 downing street. spiked itself is funded by the kochs, a fact they spent the better part of a decade hiding.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/alfinaldedylan/status/1454125538432458754?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

josh04 posted:

spiked is the news arm of the former revolutionary communist party, a cult-like organisation of uk trots from the 80s who had their brains melted by getting sued over denying the bosnian genocide and now spend their time doing the long march through the institutions with their ethos of "everyone else doing leftism is wrong, the correct way to be a leftist is to constantly moan about cancel culture". three former members stood as candidates for the Brexit party at the last election. one was made a peer by Boris Johnson. another is the director of the policy unit at 10 downing street. spiked itself is funded by the kochs, a fact they spent the better part of a decade hiding.

So anarcho-capitalists?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

more like sufficiently advanced accelerationists

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
perhaps but I still think Paul has some good ideas

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

61% on rotten tomatoes. Thought you degenerates would like to know.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

nomadland is anticapitalist in the same way squid game is if thats what you define as interesting

So not at all? Garbage tier kdramas like city hunter end with a factory being directly purchased by the workers.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Beastie Boys are a rock and roll group not a rap group

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Mr Hootington posted:

a fine day for racists, misogynists, and LGBTphobes everywhere

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Dreylad posted:

and i think enough people know that posting here isn't marxism or anything

i certainly get the argument around the incorrect or downright counterproductive nature of turning a critique of capitalism into a moral condemnation, but i don't think it would make for particularly good entertainment which is what that show ultimately is

I think it's good to look at the limitations of a popular critique that liberals are elevating in their own discourse. At the same time, it's way better than Tony Stark poo poo.

If you want a manwha with similar themes and that lgbt-friendly in a market too conservative to be totally open about it sort of charm, check out Tower of God. You know, lots of close friends who might not all be gay, but the painter dude named after David Hockney and his partner can safely be read that way. Also I'll edit in a pic of Evankhell here in a moment, she rocks.

e: If you read this, you will see characterization begin with this character way, way before she shows up:

e2: since this is a shonen i have to show off boom:

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Oct 29, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

So not at all? Garbage tier kdramas like city hunter end with a factory being directly purchased by the workers.

a big part of what annoys me so much about squid game discourse is that most korean dramas have the balls to make their sinister corporate villains obvious standins for actual korean conglomerate executives so squid game literally flying in terrible white actors to fulfill the exact same narrative function is a pretty big step backwards despite the press hailing it as a uniquely incisive satire even in the korean context

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Oct 29, 2021

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dreylad posted:

That and the Indian subcontinent has a cheap supply of labor so getting a maid or something isn't an expensive class signifier like it is in the US. Buying a car is an expensive class signifier. Americans are a prosperous people because both the husband and wife have their own car and the space to park it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
The problem with Zahard's Army is they value people's family background too much. The kind of pathetic losers who care about family background or class HAVE NO RIGHT TO STAND ON THE SAME BATTLEFIELD AS ME!!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Mr Hootington posted:

:sickos:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

a fine day for racists, misogynists, and LGBTphobes everywhere

While there is some overlap, I do not think the psychos in cspam who obsess over mcu films are racist, misogynist, or lgbphobes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Are we at the
>if you don't like this movie you are a bigot
level of discourse regarding Eternals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Tankbuster posted: