Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unkempt posted:

If anyone hasn't seen the norwegian 'don't blink' task, it's pretty amazing and it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3yhEZX93s

2 hours 47 minutes. Not sure he's actually human.

I don't think I could last a minute before it became unbearable. I'm amazed they let him drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

stev posted:

I don't think I could last a minute before it became unbearable. I'm amazed they let him drive.

Well to be fair he didn't look strained at all compared to the other contestants. More worried about the eating and driving!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It's also probably edited for comedic effect (shock and horror at being lied to) considering the unofficial world record is somewhere around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It's also probably edited for comedic effect (shock and horror at being lied to) considering the unofficial world record is somewhere around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.

He might have cheated while in the car.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Best prize task in ages...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can't decide if Victoria's prize was supposed to be an honest attempt at a nice gift from a person who is not particularly interested in sports, or a calculated passive-aggressive attack on Alan. It's perfect either way.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Paladinus posted:

I can't decide if Victoria's prize was supposed to be an honest attempt at a nice gift from a person who is not particularly interested in sports, or a calculated passive-aggressive attack on Alan. It's perfect either way.

I went from laughing to on the floor as the extent of the mismatch became clear.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I am 100% sure Victoria knew what she was doing - and I think on another day Greg would have given her the five for the maliciousness and then ranked the remainder on merit.

Good set of tasks this week - the iron task was carefully worded to be open to a more subtle strategy than just lobbing it, but turns out you needed much better execution in that to measure up against Alan's throws. Then we got a variation on a great previous task (in S8 they made a toy for a child instead of a dog), and what's arguably a refinement of the S11 task which self-destructed as they read it. Making the contestants destroy the task this time round worked better I think. Perhaps they were meant to worry there was a clause on the now-shredded task which forbade them from eating the sweet?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The prize task and the first two were wonderful. The third task wasn't my favourite though - another absurdly long set of rules that just left everyone looking confused and irritated. And the actual task itself ended up being really easy? It was odd.

The live task was pretty dreadful. It became obvious very quickly that no one was going to manage to score any points. And even if they did it'd be next to impossible to end up with a positive score. :shrug:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

:yeah:

Victoria's reaction to the personalised velvet (:aaa:) vintage smoking jacket (:aaaaa:) with some matching slippers (:magical:) was great.
An ice cold burn from Victoria, advising Alan to "treat himself" to a Manchester match. I think they're friends so it's ok.

Most engaged toddler makes a comeback... as a dog! :woof:
Victoria probably should've gone with her initial instinct of just a ball on the carpet.

It was clear from the start that the only way to win the live task was to not play. Too bad none of them tried to go with zero sheets.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something I'm surprised nobody tried in the live task was ripping their sheets in half to make twice as many planes - you were penalized for how many sheets you took, not how many planes you threw. Although given how horrible everyone's accuracy was it probably wouldn't have helped in the end.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They only had two minutes. It would've probably resulted in worse airplanes.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The marco task was adorable and i really hope we see more of marco.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Next series will feature the Most Engaged Cat task.

The series after that will feature Most Engaged Pensioner.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

itry posted:

Next series will feature the Most Engaged Cat task.

The series after that will feature Most Engaged Pensioner.

I want to see them make a toy to engage Greg.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

stev posted:

I want to see them make a toy to engage Greg.

Last time he got his hands on a toy he smashed it against the wall though.

Edit: https://youtu.be/l-TnD6m1iPA

itry fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 29, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Watching this show after two episodes of Squid Game gives it a whole different vibe

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

My Lovely Horse posted:

Watching this show after two episodes of Squid Game gives it a whole different vibe

This is nothing, try watching Solitary. Literally just "if you let us torture you long enough, you'll get 50K"

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 29, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That prize task was perfect and Greg's reactions to the players' reactions just made it even better.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

I went from laughing to on the floor as the extent of the mismatch became clear.

It needs to be in whatever hall of fame or best of collection for Taskmaster. I was gasping even as a non-soccer fan.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm in love with Morgana.

Get in line, man.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

itry posted:

Last time he got his hands on a toy he smashed it against the wall though.

Edit: https://youtu.be/l-TnD6m1iPA

That was a toy to enrage Greg.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yvonmukluk posted:

That was a toy to enrage Greg.

:golfclap:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anals of History posted:

It needs to be in whatever hall of fame or best of collection for Taskmaster. I was gasping even as a non-soccer fan.

The progression of the gifts was honestly perfect. You start off with Alan having a pretty standard gag gift, the kind of thing you see in most prize tasks. Then you have three genuine attempts to get something the person would actually like, to Greg's increasing annoyance, and finally capping it all off with the most perfectly calibrated insult to Alan imaginable.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I just finished NZ1 today, I'm starting Season 2 and I can't wait for the insanity. :munch:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heavy_D posted:

I am 100% sure Victoria knew what she was doing - and I think on another day Greg would have given her the five for the maliciousness and then ranked the remainder on merit.

I imagine if she was a serious contender he might but she was clearly going for a one because she knows she's lost the show so badly so she might as well have fun at Alan's expense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MikeJF posted:

I imagine if she was a serious contender he might but she was clearly going for a one because she knows she's lost the show so badly so she might as well have fun at Alan's expense.

Pretty sure they prepare all prizes well ahead of time. With how studio segments are filmed, there's barely any time for course correction.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Pretty sure they prepare all prizes well ahead of time. With how studio segments are filmed, there's barely any time for course correction.

IIRC they film two a day, so yeah, suppose. Although she might've had a fair inkling she wasn't exactly going to do well before the studio stuff ever started.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm sure I've heard there's been last minute prize substituions (either on the podcast or a Little Alex Horne interview somewhere).

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Is Morgana a "bit"? Her real personality seems different than this, at least in interviews.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She’s a comedian, so it’s very possible. But honestly who knows

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I came here to post this, god drat that went perfectly. The rollercoaster of genuinely thoughtful gifts leading to Victoria's expertly calculated passive-aggressive slight was some drat good Taskmaster.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The thing that I love the most about that bit is the fact that you can totally buy that VCM truly thought it was a good gift based on an insane Sheldon Cooper-esque calculation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm sure I've heard there's been last minute prize substituions (either on the podcast or a Little Alex Horne interview somewhere).

Pretty sure one of them says they made a substitution in this episode.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pinwiz11 posted:

I just finished NZ1 today, I'm starting Season 2 and I can't wait for the insanity. :munch:

Its better by a mile.
I love NZ for the casual swearing and directness. "Is that your wanking hand?"

Someone uploaded Swedens season 5 and Denmarks season 4 onto Youtube, not sure we are allowed to post links here to them.
So far, not sure about Sweden's version, Denmarks can be good at times.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Pretty sure one of them says they made a substitution in this episode.

Was it Morgana who stole a sign for a prize task and they made her change it?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I think it was Sarah Kendall from the last series who stole the sign for "Best thing you can carry, but only just".

Not caught up with this week's Stormester yet, but another good episode of Kongen Befaler. This week featured tasks which are difficult to fully appreciate from the instructions without actually seeing the setup.

quote:

Prize: the best gift you have received or given

Which is the real Olli? You can only guess once. You may not remove or touch the cardboard box [which Olli and 4 imitators wear over their heads]

Sort all the sweets. Fastest wins.

Put the farmer [a dummy filled with 70kg of sand] back in his hammock. Fastest wins.

Live: Audience Bingo: Ask the audience a question to which the fewest people answer yes. If nobody answers yes you come last.
The "Film Paul" task from TM NZ is a bit like the find the real Olli task (in that both require lots of doubles of the taskmaster's assistant). Presumably this task was filmed before the other was aired.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

An excellent entry for the prize task from Victoria :golfclap:

Studio task was very dumb but I would've watched them do another round because it was also very funny.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

itry posted:

An excellent entry for the prize task from Victoria :golfclap:

Studio task was very dumb but I would've watched them do another round because it was also very funny.

That's the second week in a row where I was absolutely destroyed by Victoria's prize entry... :allears:

In other news, I finished all of New Zeland today. That last episode was epic, and I'm sad I'm out of episodes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The studio task was mostly ehhhh, but had a good payoff with Victoria and Alan's psychic connection.

It would, however, make an amazing drunk party game, so Imma add that to my repertoire when organizing events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I think the studio task itself was absolutely fine, just the attempts let it down. I guessed Victoria's was a spider too, because she worked out how to abstract her subject into the simplest possible drawing + instructions. It helped that spider is fairly easy do do that with, but I think some of the others were possible too so long as you didn't fixate on recreating the given drawing. Like castle needs to be much simpler - one large square, then a line from top left going up-right-down-right-up-right etc to make the crenellations. Or Morgana's attempt, if she'd started with a square/circle container before launching into her line ASMR, she'd have had a shot at a guessable drawing.

Also, catching up on Stormester from this weekend. Live task was the "draw a monster" from UK Series 11

quote:

Rotate Mark. You have 10 minutes to prepare. You cannot affect Mark's rotation after you start. Most times Mark rotates about his axis wins.
Win as many games of "1, 2, 3, Hat" as you can in 20 minutes [make a ball bounce once off each of three different surfaces, then land in the hat]. Each game must be won off different surfaces. You must use the first ball you touch.
Pour from the jugs to the corresponding glasses [all of which are glued to the same table] until they overflow.
Build a sculpture of the taskmaster from items that rhyme. You have 5 minutes to order your items, and 20 minutes to scuplt with them.

First one is a spin on the UK Series 6 task, with the added constraint you have to rotate the taskmaster's assistant, ruling out some of the simpler solutions. The 1, 2, 3, Hat task smacks of the writing on Bäst i Test (Swedish version) but I haven't seen it in the episodes I've caught so far, so it might be original. Kongen Befaler had a task like the third one, but that only had one jug and one cup. The extra twist of having two different drinks was a very taskmastery refinement; the table was laid out like this
pre:
Juice   Squash  Juice   Squash
glass    jug     jug     glass
It invited the inattentive contestant to get themselves disqualified by pouring each jug into the nearer glass. Finally TM NZ had a task involving ordering items with the constraint they must all rhyme, but the substance of the task was very different here. Overall, a good week for improving and remixing tasks.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 5, 2021