Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Loden Taylor posted:

Yeah, this is what my dwarf fortress bedroom area looks like around about the time everyone flips out and I lose the fortress in a tantrum spiral.

The top floor/roof is kinda cool though

Heres the document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgEAYCEphg6x6WDQ8NQGuILqN31SA6LP/view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's meant to serve 4500 people????

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t think this is true. If something sucks then it sucks.

Makes sense to me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That was my first thought. WTF?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving billionaire needs to be forced to sign acceptance of liability of any forseeable issue (fire) so the families of the students that die can go after him directly.

But then the day after the fire the courts will limit settlements to a $500 Applebee's gift card and half a box of Blow-pops.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It’s like the people that designed it knew the building’s height is going to be cut in half as well as the density.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
$1.5bil / 4500 beds = $333,333 a bed

What the gently caress. That costs more per bed than than all but the most luxurious dorms.

Edit- the cruelty is the point

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 29, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Uh, holy loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/AdamKinzinger/status/1453699547591417867

January 6 was oafishly executed at times but I guaran-loving-tee you that there are smarter, meaner and more motivated fascists who are taking notes on poo poo like this. Next time, they won't fail.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Am I an accelerationist if at this point I'd rather see this entire bill get hucked into a trash can and have the Democrats try again when they can be less pathetic?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Fallom posted:

Am I an accelerationist if at this point I'd rather see this entire bill get hucked into a trash can and have the Democrats try again when they can be less pathetic?

No, dems continue to suck hot poo poo. These parties have got to go, but the money they take in prevents that. (This is an original thought that surely no one has ever has before.)

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Notahippie posted:

... it could be really efficient at turning suffering into money.

Yes I know what capitalism is.

Also oh hey, fox going full mask off. At least some of the shitbirds who parrot that poo poo got kicked out of the guard last weekend over refusing shots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Uh, holy loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/AdamKinzinger/status/1453699547591417867

January 6 was oafishly executed at times but I guaran-loving-tee you that there are smarter, meaner and more motivated fascists who are taking notes on poo poo like this. Next time, they won't fail.

I mean, if by false flag they mean it was done by cops then I guess thats right.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fallom posted:

Your internal answer to this question will basically determine the bill's quality: when will Democrats ever do that?

The bill/framework really isn't that bad, there's plenty of good poo poo in it:

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/1454118335679971330?t=gh_6PHyPzIahuEjjuVJpRw&s=19

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1454097987949453319?t=iTQe5UkUz7akIAA8FwId3Q&s=19

That is a Shitload Of loving Money for climate/Pre-K/child care, though nowhere near what it *should* be in a Democratic Congress. The bill is more or less being judged by what's been pulled out instead of what's still in. What's in is absolutely insufficient, but it's not even close to nothing. It'll bring the value of a Democratic Congress to about $5T worth of spending, which wouldn't have existed in a Republican Congress.

The alternative is to wait for the next Democratic Congress, with proper progressives in it, and the outlook for that sure doesn't look Great. House probably flips in 2022, Senate map is brutal in 2024, and half-a-loafism isn't exactly going to suddenly turn the country Democratic in the long run.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Vaccine update:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1454166272501977090?t=1sxIT9jOzCXenyMMPLkKkg&s=19

FDA poo poo is now complete, CDC meets next week to officially push the button and authorize the vaccines. Likely won't have anything this weekend for those of y'all with kids. Same high efficacy, 90.7% even with Delta running around.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
pissing on a house fire, which is exactly what this bill does, isnt helping

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/sandiegozoo/status/1453799768602251289

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Life, uh

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

pissing on a house fire, which is exactly what this bill does, isnt helping

Agreed. I'm just saying the alternative isn't nothing, but is actually replacing the dick with a gas nozzle. Accelerationism hopes that at some point, the country will start electing more climate progressives. The COVID era has more shown that non-burning parts of the country will happily instead elect the Republicans perfectly happy with the neighborhood burning down because damnit, gasoline doesn't sell itself and those oilmen need jobs!

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1454166118415978505?t=sngN5QaiwBJdfspfIgfHjA&s=19

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Future Well There's Your Problem just dropped:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1454066828918001678

Rich 97-year old Berkshire Hathaway gently caress gives UCSB $200M for a $1.5B dorm on the condition that they use his blueprints (he is not an architect) without any changes. 94% of rich gently caress's approved rooms have zero windows and are designed to be unlivable so that students "collaborate" in a shared space. Ideal for: college students, in a pandemic, that are always known to get along well. UCSB is all like SOLD, when do we break ground?

Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://twitter.com/mepholies/status/1453819189685334016?t=0xMlRs3TanWVS8dGRHpgAg&s=19

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Heck, open bay basic training barracks seems better than that college dorm in some ways. At least you get to choose from multiple toilets

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea and you probably at least had windows (for your ncos to huck all your poo poo out of)

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
You got to choose your toilets in basic? gently caress. We were lucky we only got banned from the urinals for a few days or something after someone shaved their pubes in one and left it wrecked. One guy in my phase I was in a basic flight with a female MTI who banned urinal use for the duration of basic.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Holy crap that's right, even Marine boot camp probably has some windows in their living quarters, haha

Cenen posted:

You got to choose your toilets in basic? gently caress. We were lucky we only got banned from the urinals for a few days or something after someone shaved their pubes in one and left it wrecked. One guy in my phase I was in a basic flight with a female MTI who banned urinal use for the duration of basic.
From what I remember, we didn't have urinals; it was all toilets in those old USAF '50s-'60s dorms/barracks/whatever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hobbesmaster posted:

The top floor/roof is kinda cool though

Heres the document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgEAYCEphg6x6WDQ8NQGuILqN31SA6LP/view

It's been done, better in montreal

Milo and POTUS posted:

Another Montreal entry, the Place Bonaventure was at the time of its completion it the second largest commercial building in the world. At first sight from the ground it's pretty typical brutalist fare. We've seen better and we've seen far worse.

Looking a little prettier come night time

But appearances are often deceiving and usually all it takes is a small change in perspective.

The top floors are taken up by a hotel that surrounds a quadrangle with one of the greatest roof gardens I've ever seen, over 2 acres in size

And it's even more impressive close up

And what hotel would be complete without a heated swimming pool

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Agreed. I'm just saying the alternative isn't nothing, but is actually replacing the dick with a gas nozzle. Accelerationism hopes that at some point, the country will start electing more climate progressives. The COVID era has more shown that non-burning parts of the country will happily instead elect the Republicans perfectly happy with the neighborhood burning down because damnit, gasoline doesn't sell itself and those oilmen need jobs!

A literal death cult lol

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Cross-posting from the OSHA thread, it looks like a smaller scale version of the prototype City Block was built by the same billionaire at U of Mich Ann Arbor back in 2015:

https://housing.umich.edu/residence-hall/munger/

https://news.umich.edu/munger-graduate-residences-opens-at-university-of-michigan/

quote:

ANN ARBOR—The new Munger Graduate Residences at the University of Michigan is set to open Aug. 1.

The $155 million, approximately 380,000-square-foot building will house 630 graduate students in a unique high-density residential-academic arrangement. Students from 36 different countries and more than 70 graduate programs will be represented in the new facility. It is located between Division and Thompson streets at Madison Street.

The vision for the facility and program was inspired by philanthropist and U-M alumnus Charles T. Munger, who provided a $110 million gift to fund construction of the residence hall and fellowships for graduate students. From concept to grand opening, the building was constructed over two-and-a-half years. The project cost of $155 million is $30 million below the approved budget of $185 million.

Of course the exact same talking point and exact same concerns get raised with it.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/09/24/michigan-grad-students-object-details-new-housing-unit

quote:

Graduate students typically don't live in luxury, let alone in space that has intellectual goals. Many grad students feel fortunate to have housing that is reasonably safe and affordable. So why would graduate students at the University of Michigan be raising objections to one of the most ambitious ideas in recent years for graduate student housing? For starters, many say that while some social engineering may be normal for housing college freshmen, they object to the idea of the university -- which has control of so much of their professional life -- telling them where to live, and with whom.

"Most graduate and professional students are adults in their 20s and 30s and […] would not choose to share living space with six other people,” said Phillip Saccone, president of Rackham Student Government, the student body group for the Rackham Graduate School and a Ph.D. candidate in pharmacology, describing the results of a recent organization poll of graduate and professional students on the $185 million project. “Several students went on to say that such a design feels too much like existing undergraduate dorms.”

Additionally, he said, the preliminary price tag for a room – some $1,000 a month -- is well beyond the financial reach of the typical graduate student and is much higher than off-campus living options in the Ann Arbor market. Although there's no "typical" rent in the immediate area, where everything from luxury apartments to older, shared houses is available to students, $1,000 a month could easily secure a student a private apartment. Co-living options can be found for $500 a month per student, before utilities, or perhaps less, depending on situation.

But university officials disagree, saying the new residence's unusual configuration – with seven graduate students assigned to a unit, to foster communication across disciplines – will create a “community of scholars” whose target monthly rent will compete with other local housing options.

The project is the gift and brainchild of Michigan alumnus Charles T. Munger, a philanthropist who serves as Warren T. Buffett’s vice chairman at Berkshire Hathaway. Munger’s $110 million gift to the university earlier this year came with specific design stipulations, reflected in Michigan’s plan. In an announcement earlier this year, Michigan billed the residence as a "community of scholars." Some $100 million will go toward building the residence on the central campus, and $10 million will be reserved for fellowships for select students living there.

Saccone said many graduate students appreciated Munger’s gift, and that elements of the plan – including his desire to facilitate communication across the disciplines -- were appealing to graduate students, according to the online survey.

But in general, he said, graduate students value affordability and personal space, and “would prefer to interact with fewer roommates in a more intimate setting.”

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
lmao at the tech "campus" looping back around to academia to blur work life lines and keep workers/students engaged in labour longer

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

facialimpediment posted:

With rooms this tiny, I bet the sounds would bleed through headphones connected to the laptop and there really isn't room for a TV

It's essentially fine for short durations, or in certain cultures like cruise ships or sea/military deployments. But in a dorm? Might as well mandate vitamin D prescriptions with a side of marinol. Can't even smoke weed in those rooms since there's nowhere for the smoke to go!

This reminds me of my "college search" days back in the late 90s. I got roped into looking at Lynchburg College in *Lynchburg, VA* because they were offering a full ride (which made my mother all :swoon:) and they rather proudly showed off their dorm rooms...which looked like prison cells. There was a single window that was SMALLER than the one shown in this image, the cinder block walls were coated and painted *dental white* and lit with phosphorescent light...

I just peaced out of the tour right then and there. It was bad enough that Lynchburg also hosts Liberty University, and walking around the downtown area at 6pm was the eeriest feelings I've ever had as the you could hear a goddamned pin drop for how quiet it was save for the gentle 'whoosh' of passing cars.

I also turned down Villanova because we were told that because of a housing shortage, "singles were doubles, doubles were triples, triples were quads, and quads are Walmarts."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Cross-posting from the OSHA thread, it looks like a smaller scale version of the prototype City Block was built by the same billionaire at U of Mich Ann Arbor back in 2015:

Well loving goddamnit. Of *course* my school would be one of the follow-on prototypes for the rich gently caress's literal Stanford experiment. I hope it's not my internal bias showing, but this Munger building looks better than the USCB proposed Munger building - there's a lot more daylight available because there's a lot less building. The UCSB Munger is more like WHAT IF MORE BIGGER, LESS SPACE FOR FLESHY MEATBAGS?

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 29, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only way an entirely interior dorm room would work is if at least one wall featured an OLED screen that could function as a virtual window, and even then, you're trusting that teenagers aren't going to damage it.

This is just another example of "I'm rich, so that means I'm kinda-sorta an expert in everything." :smug:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I also turned down Villanova because we were told that because of a housing shortage, "singles were doubles, doubles were triples, triples were quads, and quads are Walmarts."

That’s funny considering all the new dorms and poo poo they built (I live pretty close).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That’s funny considering all the new dorms and poo poo they built (I live pretty close).

Well, this was back in 1998-ish. I assume they've gotten their poo poo together since then.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

lol disguising a lighting fixture as window seems loving cruel

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

Well loving goddamnit. Of *course* my school would be one of the follow-on prototypes for the rich gently caress's literal Stanford experiment. I hope it's not my internal bias showing, but this Munger building looks better than the USCB proposed Munger building - there's a lot more daylight available because there's a lot less building. The UCSB Munger is more like WHAT IF MORE BIGGER, LESS SPACE FOR FLESHY MEATBAGS?

The main difference between the UM Munger and UCSB Munger seems to be that they went one extra fractal step: all the UM Munger individual rooms lack windows but the shared common area has some on the outside wall, whereas the USCB Munger both the rooms and common area lack windows - you have to go out into the 'House' common area shared by eight suites of eight dorms to get to a room that has windows. It also looks like they cut down the size of the individual rooms on the USCB version to squeeze in an extra room per suite.

Just going by the stated sizes and occupancy levels:

UM Munger: 380,000 sq ft / 630 = 603 sq feet per resident
UCSB Munger: 1,680,000 sq ft / 4,500 = 373 sq feet per resident

And those numbers presumably count all the common area / lobby / hallway / etc space.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Terrifying Effigies posted:

This billionaire sounds like a loving weirdo. I'm getting real "human centipede but for buildings" obsessed scientist vibes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The crew and squid game had better rooms

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Fun tradition where every room flushes their toilet at the same time and makes the building shake

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

given the whole 1 bathroom for 8 people thing I wouldn't be surprised if the toilets and the rest of the plumbing weren't just going non stop at peak times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Notahippie posted:

This billionaire sounds like a loving weirdo. I'm getting real "human centipede but for buildings" obsessed scientist vibes.

This billionaire...