Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

Cool, thank you. I know the publishing industry is really being rocked by shortages and supply chain issues right now all across the board, I just wanted to get a second opinion.

The longest one on my list was ordered on the 14th one month and processed on the 26th. That was uncommonly long for sure. I don't know what the logistics are on shipping right now but if it's anything like the product I work with it's a goddamn nightmare. I don't work in books but the product my company make is dependent on electrical components that are both in shortage and tied up in shipping quagmires that you wouldn't believe. Hell, ordering bulk SIMs from a reliable company like Verizon is slow as hell these days. And even Amazon has been slipping for me personally a lot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FrumpleOrz posted:

I put in my first order with them on the 1st and am still waiting for it to ship. I sent them an e-mail and they basically said they're super swamped right now with a bunch of orders they didn't expect, along with having low staff but stuff is moving as much as it can. I did just check my order and the graphic under the items changed from "waiting to ship" to this new little icon under it:

So things are definitely moving, just a little slow right now.

Oh at least you have one of the absolute best Jaime stories to look forward to though, The Love Bunglers is astonishing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I ordered from IST for the first time in years and it took forever to ship and I would have missed the bday the books they were a gift for if I didn't miss the bday all together because of covid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I stopped using Instock Trades when they took over six weeks to ship a book. That was over ten years ago, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I stopped using Instock Trades when they took over six weeks to ship a book. That was over ten years ago, though.

I stopped using them for the first time when they took money for a book that wasn't in stock (heh) and included a note in my order that they'd mail it to me if they got a copy.

Trying to get away from Amazon made me try them again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Uthor posted:

I stopped using them for the first time when they took money for a book that wasn't in stock (heh) and included a note in my order that they'd mail it to me if they got a copy.

Oh wow, you're kidding! That's so bad, hahaha - I'm sorry to hear that! Never encountered that before, personally. They've always waited until it's back in stock before trying to take my money. That's so dodgy

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 17, 2021

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’ve been using IST/TOW for the past 10 years or so and never had problems until covid hit. They do not answer emails and are very behind in shipping. Their customer service used to be outstanding. Their system is super old and any issue that arises wouldn’t be a problem, if they answered their emails (which they do not). I currently have two orders that are almost a month old not shipped yet.

IST has gotten bad enough that OPB sprung up to try and take some of the pie. By the order number count it seems like they’re doing okay for a one man operation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't noticed anything too crazy. But it's been a few months since my last order. Also I live geographically very close to their warehouse so that may play some part.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
it's taken the better part of a month for my last order (s) from IST to be fulfilled and one book was refunded

however, it looks like they'll be here this weekend so I'll finally get that starman giant gently caress-off paperback, the complete SCUD and a bunch of X related stuff :dance:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I haven't noticed anything too crazy. But it's been a few months since my last order. Also I live geographically very close to their warehouse so that may play some part.

Supposedly they're moving the entire operation back to Indiana next year, they have an enormous new warehouse on the east side of town that Lunar/DCBS is operating out of.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
In stock trades cancelled a book I ordered after like 3 weeks and then it took them almost another 3 weeks to actually refund it!

I get that they're swamped but Organicpricedbooks.com has prices almost as good, always has promocodes, they don't charge tax, and their free shipping is on orders over only $30 while IST has tax and does free shipping for over $50 so the price basically evens out. The OPB customer service is so much better and their listings are so much more accurate (they actually update release dates when the schedule changes) so I pretty much only always go through them now!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

I get that they're swamped but Organicpricedbooks.com has prices almost as good, always has promocodes, they don't charge tax, and their free shipping is on orders over only $30 while IST has tax and does free shipping for over $50 so the price basically evens out. The OPB customer service is so much better and their listings are so much more accurate (they actually update release dates when the schedule changes) so I pretty much only always go through them now!

I did some math between the two and for me personally IST is cheaper.

If you're buying books a on weekly basis (and you're willing to wait up to a month) IST is better because the 1%-3% that you're saving spread across multiple books, across multiple weeks adds up over time. But for the occasional purchase or something large OPB is *probably* better, because at this point IST has non-existent customer service and they're super backlogged. Oh and they do that, "oh we ran out of stock" bullshit, but the product is still listed on their page 3 weeks later.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Target is doing B2G1 right now and these prices work out to be pretty tempting. $50 a piece for a whole lot of Peter David is good for me, bad for my mailman.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I don't read or post in BSS - is this the place to ask about the possible rarity and/or value of a couple of signed graphic novels?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sure, but maybe also the Q&A thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611360&pagenumber=472&perpage=40

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

For a hot second in the early to mid-2000s I was into Green Arrow. I got these graphic novels signed by Phil Hester and Ande Parks at Wizard World 2006 in Chicago. I waited around the booth where Kevin Smith was supposed to show up so I could get the complete set of autographs but he never did so I left.

Are these rare and/or valuable at all? I don't read them and they sit on my shelf.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Kevin Smith wrote this Spider-man/Black Cat comic called The Evil that Men Do and it's one of the worst comics I own. The only redeeming quality is the cheesecake artwork by Terry and Rachel Dodson. It's been years since I've read it but all I remember is that there was a multi-year gap between the first issues and the last issues and at some point Kevin decided the book should mostly be about rape and incest. I don't think those subjects are taboo, but Kevin didn't have the chops to handle the subject matter remotely well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

owl_pellet posted:

For a hot second in the early to mid-2000s I was into Green Arrow. I got these graphic novels signed by Phil Hester and Ande Parks at Wizard World 2006 in Chicago. I waited around the booth where Kevin Smith was supposed to show up so I could get the complete set of autographs but he never did so I left.

Are these rare and/or valuable at all? I don't read them and they sit on my shelf.

I don't think those autographs are especially valuable, but these paperbacks have been out of print for a long time. They're pretty rare, but there have been a few comprehensive re-releases of Smith's Green Arrow run, which isn't held in very high regard to begin with. You may be able to fetch $20-30 a pop for these if you can find the right buyer, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I asked my friend who flips and sells graded singles if signatured paperbacks are worth anything. He said in the floppy world, most comics with signatures aren’t worth much unless they’re CGC graded (apparently they have a signature line), because there isn’t a proof of authenticity. Unless the signature is “rare”, but even then no one is really look for a trade paperback with a signature. Most people apparently are looking for key issues.

With that, he said it is probably better to keep the book and have a memory of your favorite author or writer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What if it's personalized? I've bought a bunch of indie stuff that's not gonna be worth anything and get it signed by the author as "thank, [name]", then I read it and it's like, I could get rid of this without regret.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep them on the shelf for another 15 years and we'll see what's what

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone know if the Lumberjanes HC series will continue or is my collection going to be like Giant Days where it's split between HC and TPB?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Lumberjanes HCs come out at a pace of about one per year. We're a little overdue for the next one, but I wouldn't give up hope just yet. No official word either way, though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

What if it's personalized? I've bought a bunch of indie stuff that's not gonna be worth anything and get it signed by the author as "thank, [name]", then I read it and it's like, I could get rid of this without regret.

I think that modern day stuff would be worth even less. If my name is Ari, I'm not looking for a personalized book for Chard. But that's just my take on it. It's probably different if it's a key issue, but even then, you're talking about key issues.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
When I met David Lloyd at a signing in a local comic shop, he was kind enough to sketch me a quick pencil portrait of V in my sketchbook, which is amazing. Then he signed my V For Vendetta trade paperback, but when he asked me how to spell my name to personalize it, he spelled it the wrong (but somewhat more common) way.

That was kind of disappointing, but a few years passed, and I found a fellow comic collector with that exact name on a message board. Boy, was he happy to pay for a personalized V For Vendetta TPB, made out to him!

I've been meeting comic creators and getting comics signed my whole life, and I don't have certificates of authenticity for any of them. I just think it's cool as hell to meet them, tell them how much I've enjoyed their work, chat a bit if they're not too busy, and walk away with one-of-a-kind collectibles that will mean even more to me. I do have a few random signed issues I'd like to sell, but I think the only reason they're not selling is because they aren't "keys" -- Greg Rucka's issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web, Howard Chaykin's Shadow miniseries from the '80s, Michel Fiffe's G.I. Joe miniseries, some Matt Wagner Grendel issues from the Comico days, and Rob Guillory's first Farmhand TPB.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Back in the 90s, my grandma bought a copy of Uncanny X-Men 300 off qvc that was signed by Stan Lee. It does have a certificate of authenticity, but I always assumed that it wasn’t worth anything because Stan signed a million things and he had nothing to do with X-Men 300. It was still a cool gift and good on my grandma for recognizing Stan Lee when he showed up on qvc.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Marvel just solicited two more Conan omnibuses. I'm out here waiting for Uncanny X-Men vol 5 and Marvel's publishing Conan omnis like they're monthly floppies. :negative:

Is there really that much demand for Conan omnis?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think they go by stats but random lottery

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

Marvel just solicited two more Conan omnibuses. I'm out here waiting for Uncanny X-Men vol 5 and Marvel's publishing Conan omnis like they're monthly floppies. :negative:

Is there really that much demand for Conan omnis?

Every day I have to wait for Uncanny 5 is another day I can prepare myself for the fact that it's going to look like this:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If Uncanny Vol. 5 has Ben looking disappointed on the side, I'll consider it a win

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

If Uncanny Vol. 5 has Ben looking disappointed on the side, I'll consider it a win

You know how Marvel books used to have that little white block in the bottom right corner of the cover with Spider-Man in the corner in the 80's? Bring back the box, but put Disappointed Ben in it

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Only if the cut out is vertical.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

JordanKai posted:

Every day I have to wait for Uncanny 5 is another day I can prepare myself for the fact that it's going to look like this:

I have bad news for you about the upcoming new printings of the older UXM omnis:

(courtesy of Nearmintcondition)

Edit: Also, honestly the Marvel Conan stuff is extremely fun and very much worth checking out. I don't think I'm committed to the character enough to want to buy the omnis, but they're a blast.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 2, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

I have bad news for you about the upcoming new printings of the older UXM omnis:

:negative:

I understand the desire to redesign stuff you think could look better, but please for the love of all that is good and worthwhile stick to the old design for ongoing releases.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm the Conan omni buyer and I've bought too many to stop now. Marvel knows what I want and it's what is good in life.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
surely there must be a weird etsy niche for printing custom matching covers

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

90s Cringe Rock posted:

surely there must be a weird etsy niche for printing custom matching covers

There is a fairly large facebook community dedicated to custom printing new omnibus covers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Trying this in the right thread this time:

How Wonderful! posted:

I ordered the second Uncanny X-Men omnibus from the Cheapgraphicnovels scratch and dent sale and honestly I never would have registered it as scratched or dented if I hadn't been actively looking.

Just a tiny ding up near the top of the spine

and very minor (to me) warping near the bottom

I think the total for this came out to $35 before shipping so I was honestly expecting a lot more damage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's just regular damage from an Amazon shipment!