Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Viscous Soda posted:

New World is a trashfire of Crobbertian proportions. They just got done patching a bug that made you invulnerable when you dragged around the game in windowed mode by just patching out windowed mode. However in patching that out they somehow broke the trading house and now you will not revive your gold/item if you aren't logged in when you win the auction.

Man, I had alot of fun with Unreal tournament 2k and it's client-authoritative model. You kill me? not if I have anything to say!

Then again, you had to install cheats to do so. Things seem much easier nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MedicineHut posted:

I dont understand. But it is cool and good.

kitty scratch his rear end and feel real good and lick involuntarily

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

Man, I had alot of fun with Unreal tournament 2k and it's client-authoritative model. You kill me? not if I have anything to say!

Then again, you had to install cheats to do so. Things seem much easier nowadays.

Reminds me of the earlier UE2-based Americas Army games, where you could just turn on dev mode through command line parameters to get full access to the console and all the dev commands (including turning off fog and altering rendering parameters for better visibility, spawning items and weapons, and limited forms of god mode) any time you wanted. In an on-line only game. :haw:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

This also ties in with the theory that in order to make the relatively small shooter-oriented Cryengine maps seem like a large universe, all of the game assets are shrunk/miniscule which wreaks havoc with collision detection etc. as the game keeps having to determine object coordinates that are too small to be precise at that scale

This was proven, back in the day the further you flew away from your wank pod the more janky and unstable your ship would become.
Until you literally crashed due to it probably unable to put you inside the ship, or its own engine.
This was when it was still 32bit.
They had to refactor the whole loving engine to 64bit.

I think was a Derek Smart post on his website, cant remember.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Viscous Soda posted:

New World is a trashfire of Crobbertian proportions. They just got done patching a bug that made you invulnerable when you dragged around the game in windowed mode by just patching out windowed mode. However in patching that out they somehow broke the trading house and now you will not revive your gold/item if you aren't logged in when you win the auction.

The chat client runs code, by default. People are using this to blind other players (by loading giant images) or just crash their computers.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I see they added the fizzy lifting drink from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

Chris will channel Willy Wonka later when they shut down the project:

:shepspends: Mr Roberts?

:trustme: I am extraordinarily busy, sir.

:shepspends: I just wanted to ask about the game, the lifetime supply of insurance. When do I get it?

:trustme: You don't

:shepspends: Why not?

:trustme: Because you broke the rules!

:shepspends: What rules? We didn't see any rules!

:trustme: Wrong, sir! WRONG! Under section 37B of the Terms of Service, signed by you, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void IF - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy! - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."MEMO BIS PUNITOR DELICATUM"!! It's ALL there! Black and white, clear as crystal!

:trustme: You get... NOTHING!!! YOU LOSE!! GOOD DAY, SIR!!!

:shepspends: You're a crook. You're a cheat and a swindler! That's what you are! How can you do a thing like this?! Build up a little commando's hopes, and then smash all his dreams to pieces?! YOU'RE AN INHUMAN MONSTER!!

:trustme: I SAID GOOD DAY!!!

:crobear: And scene :crobear:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

The chat client runs code, by default. People are using this to blind other players (by loading giant images) or just crash their computers.

Wait what code? WHAT CODE? I've only heard of HTML for those images, does it run other code?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

Wait what code? WHAT CODE? I've only heard of HTML for those images, does it run other code?

I believe it's just HTML but there's just no "protection" on it, nothing that tells the client "don't try to run this." I don't know how the game crash works specifically. (And they may have fixed it by now but in so doing they probably added 800 other things.)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ahahaha... hahahaha... how can someone be this dense

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag posted:

I love how making this game is compared with landing someone on the moon and cancer research.

quote:

What is 'contingency' when you're curing cancer? God drat useless doctors, they should have had it all figured out by now, based on your logic!

While certainly not curing cancer, the comparison is appropriate: if CIG were making "just another FPS clone", they'd have no leg to stand up. But that's not what they are doing.

And man, I'd be bored shitless making "yet another" thing that exists and can be created on a rigid timeline. I'm much more fulfilled figuring out cool new poo poo, working with clients that understand that quality takes time and appreciates the need for patience to get the "right" outcome. But you do you!

quote:

I cannot reconcile "the game is niche" and "world record setting financial backing".

I don't think "niche" means what you think it means...

That aside, the development of SC is "open", as in we get to see it being made. Some backers have incorrectly extrapolated that to mean "backers make decisions and / or heavily influence development". Chris never said we'd get that sort of influence - we don't know jack or poo poo about making games. He wants us to test, provide feedback on what is fun or not, but we need to stop well short of expecting "discourse" on each and every thing we decide to complain about.

They've done a tremendous job listening to us, and an even better job ignoring us when we definitely needed to be ignored.

quote:

I sort of get where this comes from. I've been humbled as I've done some actual digging and allowed my brain to try to comprehend just how many potential gamers there are out there.

What's even more interesting to me is how relatively few potential gamers actually know about Star Citizen at all. Without any traditional advertising, they've barely reached an audience - yet the audience is already HUGE.

It's a bit mind boggling - and means the future looks pretty great too!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Remember when they used to have like 3 weekly shows? Around the Verse, Reverse the Verse (:dafuq:), Bugsmashers, weren't there others? Just the amount of time that went into producing garbage filler content instead of game content is staggering. It really shows a perverse sense of dedication and commitment to the grift. Then you get poo poo like Finley the Stormwal which is so insultingly low effort that I feel secondary embarrassment for whoever spent the five minutes making that rendering.

those were the glorious days, i do admit that when "the next great starship" was the hottest poo poo i was still pro star citizen and i watched every episode UNIRONICALLY. i remember when they asked this one guy what he worked on before he said "duke nukem forever" and everyone on the couch laughed their rear end off. they were so full of themselves, they were celebrating this whole thing as if the game was already done and a masterpiece.

so what did we learn today? never celebrate victory when you didnt even start.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you wobble your mouse over an icon om the map it gets a bit bigger to show you hovered over it.
However, they didn't think it though, so if you hover on and off it very quickly and get back over it before it snaps back to being small the icon gets bigger and bigger and bigger because they made the zoom in feature use the previous dimensions of the icon to expand from.
It truly is a poster boy for the engine that runs stra citbhxen

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1v6vxENXbg lol

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

peter gabriel posted:

If you wobble your mouse over an icon om the map it gets a bit bigger to show you hovered over it.
However, they didn't think it though, so if you hover on and off it very quickly and get back over it before it snaps back to being small the icon gets bigger and bigger and bigger because they made the zoom in feature use the previous dimensions of the icon to expand from.
It truly is a poster boy for the engine that runs stra citbhxen

This sounded made up, but:

lol, good job amazon

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I love how making this game is compared with landing someone on the moon and cancer research.

The Apollo program took 8 years to land a man on the moon.

As Star Citizen nears year 10 of development... maybe someday there will be more than one star system in the video game.

.random
May 7, 2007

BluesShaman posted:

The Apollo program took 8 years to land a man on the moon.

They didn’t have to build a game studio from scratch.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

commando in tophat posted:

This sounded made up, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbv-o7pa38&t=736s

:laugh:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Sounds like you could XSS it and grab everyone’s auth tokens, too. Which would be fun. And profitable.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Comparing making star citizen with putting someone on the moon would only work if CiG hired their defeated enemies to build it for them.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kramjacks posted:

Comparing making star citizen with putting someone on the moon would only work if CiG hired their defeated enemies to build it for them.

CIG? Hiring Germans getting away from a failing entreprise? Naa-aaaaahh

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/lw7HEtK.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dr. Honked posted:

They who choose CryEngine, should dig two graves: one for their game, and one for themselves.

:lol:

:3:

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

It appears to be completely client-authoritative, so you can send requests like "send the current stats for this item, oh and I completed that repeatable quest again" for infinite money. Seemingly entirely through the chat window. It really is a spectacular piece of work.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

bbchops posted:

It appears to be completely client-authoritative, so you can send requests like "send the current stats for this item, oh and I completed that repeatable quest again" for infinite money. Seemingly entirely through the chat window. It really is a spectacular piece of work.

I am going to start messing around with the exploits, I am sort of done with it as a game, it's OK but nothing special.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posted:

some crazy poo poo about cig development efficiency

This is the company that routinely pushed so many things from each patch that those charts of upcoming features ended up having 5 things in them.
The same company that delivers almost nothing in 6 months, nevermind per quarter.

This is an incredible level of delusion.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
https://v.redd.it/apkyv8mmwfw71/DASH_1080.mp4

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

The Metaverse, finally fully realized.

e: just noticed the sign behind her, we have a refund policy! :lol:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You mean the Meatverse

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

quote:

I'm wondering how Lumberyard changing to the open O3DE Engine will affect things for both games.

I haven't studied the entire situation in exacting detail and I'm not a lawyer, especially a software license lawyer, so I wouldn't necessarily understand everything if I did, but from the way Amazon talked about how it's still business as usual for Lumberyard licensees who're actively using it it seems like nothing should change with CIG's license unless something really strange was written into the contract.

From a technical standpoint, CIG has a bunch of former Crytek devs, some of whom actually wrote portions of CryEngine originally. They've been building their own modified engine for years with the help of those ex-Crytek devs, so they don't really need official ongoing support from Amazon. They're fairly self-sufficient as far as engine support goes.

I think the interesting topic is the question of if CIG and Amazon's contract involved CIG sharing tech upstream to Amazon for use in Lumberyard, and if it did where did those tech upgrades end up in relation to O3DE? It's possible that some CIG innovations are in O3DE and available to anyone - but certainly not nearly enough to clone SC.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 30, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

If there was more inanity like burning a hole behind NPC vendors to wiggle hotdogs through I'd be interested in buying this, maybe

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hire Matt Wagner from DCS to help with ship systems, animation, physics posted:

:grin:

quote:

Have you asked the gentleman if he would change employer/location? If he said 'Yes' you could direct him to the Jobs page for Cloud Imperium. https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

If he said 'No'. What could anyone do about it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

If Wags moved from DCS to SC, that would be a vast improvement for both games.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

Supposedly, it would seem you can send hover-over links to items that don't exist which causes the client to try to locate the data for this non-existant item until it crashes. Or send hover-over links that include code that causes you to receive quest rewards (gold, for example) every time you hover over that link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWBtUqOXo0

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

It's nice to hear people feelings about this project and we don't see enough (since the 'old days') of it for the new people coming in the last few years to learn from.

What Star Citizen will have that you haven't mentioned specifically is the thing we 'demanded' from the very beginning - A Living Breathing Universe - to live out a life in and do whatever your fancy or your skill took you to do. What's hard for people to wrap their heads around is this: The Living breathing Universe and everything in it will go whether you (or any other player) are there to see it or not. The iAE will happen every year. Fleet Week will happen every year. The Murray Cup will happen every year. Astro Arena (SataBall) tournaments will happen and Imperator elections and local elections will happen as well as faction fighting., boom and bust economies - fashions, new discoveries and migrations. Personalities, the Spectrum broadcasts - entertainment and news shows... you will see this dynamic universe in Squadron 42 Episode One.

One of the things the developers keep saying that generally passes over peoples heads is: There are no background characters in Star Citizen. Every single one of them is a unique entity capable of doing what any other NPC is capable of doing - it's kinda like procedural on demand NPC's. The more you interact with any NPC the more that NPC is given to be more unique... when you stop interacting with that NPC it goes back to being virtual but all the information about it and it's experiences remain so that it can come back at any time. I'm looking forward to the day when an NPC calls me out of the blue and reminds me I owe him/her a favour - here's the really smack you in the head kicker - they are making the comm's and 'Spectrum' multi-platform so I may get this call for help from a virtual NPC - on my phone.

It will be full of unique AI characters that you can recognise individually, they spent the time making DNA tech so that they can make NPC's by the millions who are all unique... and mortal. Not all of them will be capable of being ships crew or pilots. They live their lives, they move around, they have goals, dreams, homes and jobs, favourite pastimes. No game has ever attempted such a thing as this before. While I agree that being able to go home to the wife after a days car racing is very good, imagine seeing the guy from the sandwich store on the ground floor of your home building at the track too. Imagine one day he disappears and you ask other players - where is this guy? Someone tells you, he's on Cassel on holiday. You go to Cassel to find him and he remembers you. You ask - How can you afford to come here on a sandwich bar workers pay? He tells you he was a special forces marine in the Vanduul war and he made a tonne of UEC last time Xenothreat came calling.

That's the game experience we were promised, and they have all the pieces settling into place now.

This living breathing universe will change on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly basis. You think you know a place, but come back a year later and it's all different. The sheer amount of activities will be incredible, add that to the scale and you have a universe that no-one can fully experience in a (real) lifetime. the characters in it will feel as real as any other player. It will be hard to think of the universe as virtual, it will seem real. Like being in a Star Trek universe, or a Star Wars universe... except you can truly live in it.

... the greatest thing that Star Citizen will bring to gaming is F.O.M.O, on a scale never dreamt of before.

quote:

I have been lucky enough to meet the senior developers in person on several occasions and chat to them, or listen to them talk (in person) about what the overall plans are. I was lucky enough to go to F42UK for a visit in 2016. Anyone who was around in the days when we could do that will tell you what an amazing experience it was to be able to talk to people like Brian Chambers in person. Chris Robert's aim has always been that you should have an emotional reaction to events in his universe and it should feel like any other Sci-Fi universe you are already familiar with... he wants you to really feel it... to feel connected to the universe in a way never experienced before. The first time you will experience this will be in Squadron 42 when it suddenly dawns exactly what the scope of this living breathing universe really is.

It is nothing like any other game. Those who make comparisons to other games just don't understand what's coming. For example Squadron 42 Episode One is not a walled off experience where you wander around doing nothing until you choose the next mission Call of Duty style. You will be aboard a working ship with a crew and a 24 hour schedule, you'll be doing mundane stuff, you will have off-duty time. You can't go wander off anywhere you like, but the evidence of the universe going on around you will be there.

When you start Squadron 42 the clock starts ticking, you can't go back in time, you can only pause the clock at specific places. Jared describes Squadron 42 as one huge dynamic mission in the Persistent Universe. You cannot go back and retry the 'other choices' by replaying missions like you can in other games, you can only replay the combat sections of the missions in the Arena Commander military trainer/simulator where any choices or actions don't count. Story elements cannot be re-run (he's done this before in Wing Commander)... and you will have to make difficult choices. Everything you do goes on your military log which will form a part of your history in the universe even after you retire to the PU. Characters you meet in the PU will know who you are - the war hero - and they may or may not like what you did for the UEE military, obviously with prior military training and experience you will be valuable to the government and the Advocacy in ways those who didn't play Squadron 42 will not be. If you want to make different choices you need to make a whole new character and start all over again, from the very beginning. Even when Episode 3 comes, you'll need to choose either to continue your original character or start a new. one. It will become clear players are not buying a game, they are buying the right to create a unique character and history in this living breathing universe. Again - this is unlike any other game, a continuation of a life from release to release to release for as long as this (virtual) universe exists.

On a more direct note. The plan is for an all-platform streaming service and communication application. The PU timeline cannot be paused. You can 'call into' the game from your phone and characters/players in the game can call you. You'll get notifications that Empire Report is ready for you to stream so that you can watch what is happening in the universe while you are on the train to work and not in the game universe. This is why they worked so closely with Turbulent. People ask how will we stop other players attacking our homestead etc. You'll get a notification on the Spectrum app if you set it up. You can then call for assistance from your phone... because the Spectrum app will have other things on it like the TDD service.

This is not hype, it has always been the plan to push the bounds so far beyond what others would even dream of attempting that there will be no competition. He could have done what David Braben did and rush to release with a product made on a pre-exiting game engine and set of tools hoping for a continued iteration of addons. He also knew that would limit the scope drastically because the first few years were all about building the company infrastructure and tools to achieve the dream. If there is one thing to let the whole world know this is not mere hype, it's that level of commitment to build in depth. These are people's lives and careers he's dealing with as well as funding from generous backers going above and beyond to make it all happen - Chris knows this, and feels it very acutely.

Chris Roberts has stated openly many times the original plan was 'revised' when the community absolutely blew through all expectations of support and the new team members came with innovations he had no idea were possible at the start. There came a time when he realised it was no longer about his vision, it was about the gamers/backers dreams. He knows that he will be working on this project for 15 to 20 years at least. Whenever you speak to any member of the CIG team they are literally giddy with excitement trying to tell you how massive the scope of this thing is and how fantastically different it is to anything out there and these are people who have worked in the industry for many decades. They are gaming (and movie/TV series) fanatics. I've asked them, how does this project compare to other projects you've worked on and the thing they always do is look up to the sky with a big sigh and say.. "Aaah.. I wish we could tell you, but there has been nothing like it before". This is why those outside keep saying that it will never happen, because they can't believe anyone would even try. They didn't believe we would support anyone who would try something so massive and 'crazy'.

The current Alpha PU is a minimal test bed. The barest minimum to test out the possibilities of work in progress. Don't go on what is in it... it's very misleading.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
I love all that imagineering about Squadron 42 playing itself while the player waddles around. I can't wait to miss an important military subspace communication and narrative keystone on the bridge because I was waiting in line at the canteen for my procedurally generated space pork & space beans.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well that was something. Roberts the creator of life.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

If there was more inanity like burning a hole behind NPC vendors to wiggle hotdogs through I'd be interested in buying this, maybe

ahahaha this owns holy poo poo and, same

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

"CIG innovations" is a weird way to describe the one-off hacks and quick-fixes that have been piled one on top of another for years with little or no documentation in the Star Citizen codebase. Seems like any developer who was impressed by something they think Star Citizen might eventually manage to do without making GBS threads the bed would be better off, I dunno, just using one of the many engines that can do most of those things (and more!) right out of the box, or failing that, sit down and actually design it for themselves and build it properly instead of the CIG way.

But I'm no code whisperer, so what do I know? Maybe real game development is all about taking someone else's ugly hack-jobs and slapping it into your own product, like you're Victor Frankenstein with a lot of spare time and buckets of random spare parts to play with.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 31, 2021

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Games with hardcore modes that auto-save already exist. Does he know that copying the save file is all you need to do to beat the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So it's been like 4 or 5 months since I really paid any attention- I got a youtube video about some kind of brand new POCKET CARRIER in my suggestions today and it reminded me that I'd probably missed this year's Citizen Con and also I should come by for a chuckle. How's the masterpiece going and have all the goals been shifted to 2023 yet, or are we waiting for spring of 2022 for that?