Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The Boring Building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The cynical part of me says the university's plan should be to agree, get the money, get the conditions tossed as illegal (not anywhere near passing fire code), then go "aw shucks, we tried but those bureaucrats just won't let us build it"

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The whole thing reminds me of UC Davis's stupid "Death Star" building, which was intentionally designed to be impossible to navigate so that people would have to talk to each other to find their way around. Turns out instead of making people feel more connected people just hate going to the building.

Foxfire_ posted:

The cynical part of me says the university's plan should be to agree, get the money, get the conditions tossed as illegal (not anywhere near passing fire code), then go "aw shucks, we tried but those bureaucrats just won't let us build it"

Yeah but if you pull those sorts of tricks then rich people won't give you money in the future.

Of course he's only putting up $200 million out of $1.5 billion total here, so what they should do is scale down to a non-nightmarish hell building that will only cost $1.3 billion.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The Death Star is rad! I don't think there is a right angle anywhere on the building.

Davis is an art college, so it makes sense to have some weird experimental design.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

eSporks posted:

The Death Star is rad! I don't think there is a right angle anywhere on the building.

Davis is an art college, so it makes sense to have some weird experimental design.

Its biggest draw is as more of an ag/vet school. And a bunch of my classes were in that building and I hated it.

Like I think the building is visually neat but I am very opposed to the idea of designing something to be intentionally frustrating. I think that's a poor design goal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Somebody on Twitter posted screenshots of the ground floor design. There are lots of emergency exits on the sides of the building; there are only two entrances, but a lot of exits.

An ancient piece of forced socialization. When my father was teaching college, all the teachers went down to the mailboxes themselves. When a new student center went up, the administration moved the mailboxes there so that the teachers would be visible there. Instead, everybody started sending their staff to pick up the mail.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I love how a billionaire puts up a fraction of the total price and everyone just bows to his ridiculous demands.

well the real value proposition for the public is the invaluable Visionary Leadership from the billionaire

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

Lol this state worships wealth more devoutly than the most pious religious community

yes, also every other state does too lol

:911:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 29, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eSporks posted:

ive never even heard of anyone choosing to go to Davis for an art degree unless they happen to be from Davis lol

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
https://twitter.com/LesserFrederick/status/1454135007992291344?s=20

At first I thought this plan was just laughably dystopian, but when I paged through the design presentation, it didn't look too bad. The lack of windows would suck, but housing stock in the area is basically non-existent. The market rate for a one-bedroom is heading north of $2,000/month. Lucky students are living three to dorm room or bouncing between hotel rooms, the unlucky students are talking about commuting 2.5 hours via Amtrak, or living out of their car.

There's certainly other solutions - building ample Haussmann-style apartments, moving the university back to online classes, or constructing traditional apartment tower complexes. But when I think about my own college dorm it doesn't sound too different - just larger.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 30, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In my dorm, it was impossible for one sick student to block all access to sanitary facilities for 7 other people.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

We're still in the middle of a massive pandemic, creating the densest living environment on the planet seems like a recipe for disaster when the next one comes along. And for the number of people we're talking about those rooftop services seem pretty inadequate, and it seems like the building is pretty far from the regular campus services so you can expect most of the residents to try to use what's on-site.

If you brought a similar plan but were only housing maybe a thousand people I'd still think you'd need to add more windows and green spaces but at least it wouldn't bring the host of issues cramming that many people into such a small space is naturally going to have.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In my dorm, it was impossible for one sick student to block all access to sanitary facilities for 7 other people.

Yeah in my dorm they'd have been blocking access to 11 other people. We had two toilets and sinks for 24 students per wing/floor, a couple curtain showers, a study space, and a utility sink. One common room per wing and a basement laundry were the only other amenities.

At least we had windows though!

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 29, 2021

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

over 90% of "POOR" people have a window!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaal posted:

At first I thought this plan was just laughably dystopian, but when I paged through the design presentation, it didn't look too bad. The lack of windows would suck, but housing stock in the area is basically non-existent. The market rate for a one-bedroom is heading north of $2,000/month. Lucky students are living three to dorm room or bouncing between hotel rooms, the unlucky students are talking about commuting 2.5 hours via Amtrak, or living out of their car.

There's certainly other solutions - building ample Haussman-style apartments, moving the university back to online classes, or constructing traditional apartment tower complexes. But when I think about my own college dorm it doesn't sound too different - just larger.

do they say anywhere how much they're going to charge for it because every college student i know avoids school dorms like the loving plague because they charge even more than the slumlords do lol

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

do they say anywhere how much they're going to charge for it because every college student i know avoids school dorms like the loving plague because they charge even more than the slumlords do lol

It holds 4500 people, UCSB has a freshman class of about 4800 people each year. They'll just require freshmen to live in the school dorms unless their home address is within some distance of campus. That's what my college did.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
How else do you think they're going to pay for their investment vehicle, scandal hush money, and administrative costs?

vvvv sure, but much like housing projects, the goal here isn't any kind of quality of life for the people living there.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You can do dense housing that doesn't loving suck. Density doesn't necessarily require it to be a piece of poo poo

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

They aren't planned to be finished with the building until 2025, so I don't think there's any rates yet. Average room and board at UCSB is $15,520. When the school year started I think there were still about 900 people on the list of students who wanted school housing and couldn't get it - and that's not including the students who got put up in area hotels or reconfigured lounges.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 30, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Goodpancakes posted:

You can do dense housing that doesn't loving suck. Density doesn't necessarily require it to be a piece of poo poo

Who are you to question the vision of a thousand year old billionaire?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goodpancakes posted:

you need the proles to know their place

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Foxfire_ posted:

SB277 in 2015 is the most recent law about school vaccinations. That quoted bit about religious exemptions applies only to when an additional unenumerated vaccine is added to requirements (paragraph 11)

Paragraphs (1) through (10) are an enumerated
listing of all the normal old childhood vaccinations and no personal belief exemptions are permitted
Yep, good point! That indeed seems to be the case, and SB-277 removed the personal belief exemptions for the enumerated vaccines. If Gavin wants to he can call for the legislature to pass a bill enumerating COVID-19, though it seems that's not part of the announced plan currently. He'll probably do so after the election or when it's less of a hot button issue.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

eSporks posted:

lmao no it's absolutely not. I went to Davis and it is far from an art school, and it's history is historically a lot of agriculture and veterinary work and it has world-class programs and facilities in that department; like maybe top in the entire country. By far the biggest swaths are devoted to those two programs and they are very good. It's also become prestigious and more well-known for Engineering (in particular Civil which is what I did) but also has fairly robust Political Science and International Relations given it's deep ties with state government as typical slate of regular stuff but those are more of the things It's Known For. almost no one was there for art, there are actual dedicated art colleges that are far better and far cheaper.

and yes death star mostly sucks but it's not that bad to get around. unless you have to find the administrative section at the top tower overlooking the plebs.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ok, it's not an "art school," but it's pumped out some notable artists and the culture of Davis itself is very enmeshed with the arts.

All I was trying to say is that Davis is weird, so it make sense it would have a weird building.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Kaal posted:

There's certainly other solutions - building ample Haussman-style apartments, moving the university back to online classes, or constructing traditional apartment tower complexes. But when I think about my own college dorm it doesn't sound too different - just larger.

yeah honestly my main problem with it is that he isn't footing the whole bill. Actually looks like more space per person than where I lived for my freshman year. If he wanted to fork over enough of his own cash for UCSB to build a giant pseudo-arcology, I don't think I'd really have any objections, and would probably find it kinda interesting. But evidently he's only forking over $200m towards a proposed construction cost of over a billion, which, yeah, no. If you have that singular and weird of a vision, you cover the whole thing Charlie.

https://twitter.com/alfred_twu/status/1454181222855299077?s=20

It would be hilarious is this was what got SB NIMBYs to be ok with normal apartment buildings. Just threaten them with The Cube whenever they complain about views or neighborhood character.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 30, 2021

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Fill Baptismal posted:

It would be hilarious is this was what got SB NIMBYs to be ok with normal apartment buildings. Just threaten them with The Cube whenever they complain about views or neighborhood character.

I had assumed they were going to build this in Isla Vista or on campus, where there are no NIMBYs. Were they planning to build it in Santa Barbara proper?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

I had assumed they were going to build this in Isla Vista or on campus, where there are no NIMBYs. Were they planning to build it in Santa Barbara proper?

I was talking more about land use in the general area (have to imagine that boomer NIMBY types wouldn't want something like this anywhere near them at all). I believe that the UC, as a state entity, has a lot more lattitude with land use than normal builders, yeah. But rest assured, lovely older people who evidently didn't know they were buying a house next to giant undergrad university can still gently caress things up. Look at what's happening in Berkeley right now, where they literally managed to sue to get the school to admit less students.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/alfred_twu/status/1454174057780318211

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Fill Baptismal posted:

yeah honestly my main problem with it is that he isn't footing the whole bill. Actually looks like more space per person than where I lived for my freshman year. If he wanted to fork over enough of his own cash for UCSB to build a giant pseudo-arcology, I don't think I'd really have any objections, and would probably find it kinda interesting. But evidently he's only forking over $200m towards a proposed construction cost of over a billion, which, yeah, no. If you have that singular and weird of a vision, you cover the whole thing Charlie.

At a glance, the UCLA student building expansion looks like a much better approach - more refined, more complex, and more flexible. But I would guess that there is a critical element here, in that the UCLA complex also has more than twice the ground square footage, and has a high rise that is quite a bit taller as well. If UCSB is tight on space and concerned about pushback for constructing a 20+ story building along the coast (or blocking an airport route) then there could be fairly practical limitations on how large of an envelope they can fill.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eSporks posted:

Ok, it's not an "art school," but it's pumped out some notable artists and the culture of Davis itself is very enmeshed with the arts.

All I was trying to say is that Davis is weird, so it make sense it would have a weird building.

are we living in the same universe because it might be one of the most soulless places I've ever been in my life. its a traffic jam with trendy marketing.

lmfao

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 30, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I mean, the rest of campus is also adjacent to the airport

Kaal
May 22, 2002

CPColin posted:

I mean, the rest of campus is also adjacent to the airport

Yeah, and the campus as a whole actually has better air quality than the city proper because there's much fewer cars. At least according to the AQI maps of the area.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

are we living in the same universe because it might be one of the most soulless places I've ever been in my life. its a traffic jam with trendy marketing.

it has those weird egg head statues around campus and there are some nice green spaces, the arboretum is generally pleasant to walk through.

But yeah it's flat and there's not much excitement to be found. I feel like saying the place is weird is akin to saying mayo is spicy.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

it has those weird egg head statues around campus and there are some nice green spaces, the arboretum is generally pleasant to walk through.

But yeah it's flat and there's not much excitement to be found. I feel like saying the place is weird is akin to saying mayo is spicy.
Its got that ugly rear end art deco dog.
It has a bunch of a weird co-ops.
It has a cool bike mueseum.

Theres a bunch of little galleries, not to mention the good museums on campus. Davis is a fun quirky little town.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Fill Baptismal posted:

UCLA built a bunch of graduate student housing and then didn’t pay grad students enough to live there and then got mad we weren’t living there and then the department got mad they had to start paying us more or they’d loose their share of housing. At least that was the case in my department. The rental cost was more than our take home.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

UCLA built a bunch of graduate student housing and then didn’t pay grad students enough to live there and then got mad we weren’t living there and then the department got mad they had to start paying us more or they’d loose their share of housing. At least that was the case in my department. The rental cost was more than our take home.

Weyburn terrace?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

MickeyFinn posted:

This is the most UC poo poo I've ever heard.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Weyburn terrace?

Yep!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why does the building have to be a cube without windows? Where does all the space go? Do you need huge common rooms more instead of windows and toilets, how does the dorm life work? I'm from Finland so I have no idea.

If you had to have a common room how many people in the common room would be still a tolerable amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Ihmemies posted:

Why does the building have to be a cube without windows? Where does all the space go? Do you need huge common rooms more instead of windows and toilets, how does the dorm life work? I'm from Finland so I have no idea.

If you had to have a common room how many people in the common room would be still a tolerable amount?

Most college dorms are just normal buildings with small bedrooms and shared bathrooms. Depending on the setup there might be a smaller communal space for every 4-8 bedrooms or maybe there's a single large communal area for the entire building.

That's why this design is so hilariously bad. There's no reason for it to be set up like a prison. It's just some billionaire using money to impose his dystopian vision upon students who will have no choice in the matter.