Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There's been some talk in this thread and the CineD thread about how the movie really elides the concept of the mentat, and further that Paul's training as a mentat is totally omitted. Some people seem to suggest that this isn't a big issue and that the story is still intact without it. I strongly would've preferred they'd found a way to get Paul and Thufir in a room together and make clear that his prescience relies in a large way on his mentat training. I found this epigraph at the beginning of Messiah revealing:

Such a rich store of myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock".

- Dedication in the Muad'Dib Concordance as copied from The Tabla Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult

I don't remember another instance of him being referred to as the Mentat Emperor, but clearly it's a huge part of his identity and source of his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Ror posted:

I'm obsessed with the way the guy left of center kind squats down into position after he walks up. Sitting down in his little invisible chair. Those hats gotta line up right.

Same. It's all I can focus on, and I can't stop watching this every time it gets posted just to see him awkwardly shuffle into position and duck down. Such grace. That and Paul looking like he just got out the shower and forgot to take off his towel and Gurney trying to work out how standing like a human works. It's all so glorious.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Paul's mentat training only matters insofar as it's implied to be the thing that lets him parse all the possible futures at once and make sense of them. You can just skip straight to 'Paul has a mind that can see the future'.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's the Bene Gesserit outfit in the series.

I have a crush on the BG extra with the overbite.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

kiimo posted:

lmao forgot about this. What is happening here? Wrong answers only

Tim Heidecker shows up in the most unexpected places.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jewmanji posted:

There's been some talk in this thread and the CineD thread about how the movie really elides the concept of the mentat, and further that Paul's training as a mentat is totally omitted. Some people seem to suggest that this isn't a big issue and that the story is still intact without it. I strongly would've preferred they'd found a way to get Paul and Thufir in a room together and make clear that his prescience relies in a large way on his mentat training. I found this epigraph at the beginning of Messiah revealing:

Such a rich store of myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock".

- Dedication in the Muad'Dib Concordance as copied from The Tabla Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult

I don't remember another instance of him being referred to as the Mentat Emperor, but clearly it's a huge part of his identity and source of his power.

I don't remember Paul's mentat potential actually doing much of anything in the story. His full prescience is unlocked once he takes the :catdrugs:

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Paul uses his mentat powers to instantly calculate that it'll take 3 orinthopters to rescue the 21 people on the mining rig... 7 per thopter.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
late at night i use my mentat powers to see into all possible futures to decide if i should eat another slice of pie or not

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So I've read the books and watched the movie countless times and watched the miniseries, but I still don't really understand / remember what the deal is with the Worms in terms of, why they 'are' the spice, and what the deal with the sandtrout is?

Like, they wrap themselves around water so adult ones don't have to touch it and then die and become spice... or something? And that's why they wrap around children's hands in that game they play / Leto II in that awesome human centipede cosplay he does? But then, if that's what the baby worms do, how do they make it to adults?

What's the whole, cycle, there?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mozi posted:

late at night i use my mentat powers to see into all possible futures to decide if i should eat another slice of pie or not

Eating the pie will lead to the destruction of the galaxy

But I'm so hungry...I'll do some god-worm stuff to make up for it later

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can't stop the pie jihad coming this late november.

every night I feel my upcoming terrible portions

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Fanatical legions worshipping at the shrine of my mom's pecan pie.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

sean10mm posted:

I don't remember Paul's mentat potential actually doing much of anything in the story. His full prescience is unlocked once he takes the :catdrugs:

But lots and lots of people have access to spice, who don’t become fully prescient. Paul’s unique power comes from the confluence of his bloodlines, mentat training, and extreme spice intake.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Don't forget BG training

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

!Klams posted:

So I've read the books and watched the movie countless times and watched the miniseries, but I still don't really understand / remember what the deal is with the Worms in terms of, why they 'are' the spice, and what the deal with the sandtrout is?

Like, they wrap themselves around water so adult ones don't have to touch it and then die and become spice... or something? And that's why they wrap around children's hands in that game they play / Leto II in that awesome human centipede cosplay he does? But then, if that's what the baby worms do, how do they make it to adults?

the spice is worm poo poo, sandtrout are little larval sandworms that grow into big sandworms if they live long enough, which most don't. big sandworms lay little sandtrout when they die, the way Leto did

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

!Klams posted:

Sandtrout are the larval stage, they encapsulate water which, when/if they make it to sandworm, is part of the biological process of making spice.

The water they encapsulated becomes the Water of Life in the worm, so when the Fremen kill it for drugs, it's just the vestige of the water encapsulated by the sandtrout. The water of life is pure spice essence and the extreme energy from the worm produces oxygen and shits spice all over the desert.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Spice itself is sorta fermented sand trout poo and fungus, and the gas released by this fermenting moldy ball of alien poo poo drags it to the surface in a spice blow, which is how Liet Kynes is killed in the book. This scatters the mixture all over the sand where it dries out into a powder in the sun, and THAT is the spice.
Water of life is made by drowning a worm and drinking the vomit that comes out, it’s not already inside.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 29, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Spice itself is sorta fermented sand trout poo and fungus, and the gas released by this fermenting moldy ball of alien poo poo drags it to the surface in a spice blow, which is how Liet Kynes is killed in the book. This scatters the mixture all over the sand where it dries out into a powder in the sun, and THAT is the spice.
Water of life is made by drowning a worm and drinking the vomit that comes out, it’s not already inside.

Right, I think this is what was loving me up, the whole thing where they drown the sandtrout to get .... stuff! Which I guess was the water of life and not spice! Thanks TEAM! THIS THREAD IS THE loving BEST

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Little known fact, you can get “worm castings” from any garden supply store. If you snort enough of it you can “fold space”

That’s here on Earth already!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
This is only spelled out in an appendix to the first book, IIRC. It's not in the text of the story itself.

But yeah, sandtrout poop chemically reacts with water. The trouts form a wall around the water on one side and poops out the other, but eventually run out of space for one or the other, the two mix, form a spice blow like a kindergartner with the world's largest baking soda volcano.

spoilers for books past the first one:

Imperials think that Dune is a desert planet with no water. Even if they knew about the worm's link to spice, if they tried to transplant worms to similar desert planets the worms just die off eventually. The missing key is that Dune has plenty of water, oceans of it locked away under the sand by sandtrout.

The BG know (rather, eventually learn) about the full lifecycle of the worm (if nothing else Leto II makes it obvious) and recreate Dune by dropping the worms saved from Rakis onto their earthlike planet of Chapterhouse. The worms die off into sandtrout which start to encapsulate the available water. Only a decade later the oceans start to dry up...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ulf posted:

This is only spelled out in an appendix to the first book, IIRC. It's not in the text of the story itself.

But yeah, sandtrout poop chemically reacts with water. The trouts form a wall around the water on one side and poops out the other, but eventually run out of space for one or the other, the two mix, form a spice blow like a kindergartner with the world's largest baking soda volcano.

spoilers for books past the first one:

Imperials think that Dune is a desert planet with no water. Even if they knew about the worm's link to spice, if they tried to transplant worms to similar desert planets the worms just die off eventually. The missing key is that Dune has plenty of water, oceans of it locked away under the sand by sandtrout.

The BG know (rather, eventually learn) about the full lifecycle of the worm (if nothing else Leto II makes it obvious) and recreate Dune by dropping the worms saved from Rakis onto their earthlike planet of Chapterhouse. The worms die off into sandtrout which start to encapsulate the available water. Only a decade later the oceans start to dry up...

The thing is, that kinda ruins the whole getting rid of sandworms to free the people from the oracular fixed vision of the sandworms that still carry the pearls of awareness of Leto II.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I thought that there had been attempts to transport worms to other planets and they died but didn't release trout? I also recall a passage about how humans studied how to kill worms and basically they're like tapeworms with meters of rock-like skin.

Maybe there's a step in the lifecycle that we aren't told about where the worms need to do something or go through a metamorphosis/worm heat.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The thing is, that kinda ruins the whole getting rid of sandworms to free the people from the oracular fixed vision of the sandworms that still carry the pearls of awareness of Leto II.

You can't see those worms with prescience since they're also Atreides now. It's dumb

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

kiimo posted:

"Put your dick in the box."

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not sure this is the thread to discuss Beyond the Dune

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kiimo posted:

Brain freeze from a Spice slushee

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

the spice must blow

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I thought that there had been attempts to transport worms to other planets and they died but didn't release trout? I also recall a passage about how humans studied how to kill worms and basically they're like tapeworms with meters of rock-like skin.

Maybe there's a step in the lifecycle that we aren't told about where the worms need to do something or go through a metamorphosis/worm heat.

turns out the notes for the last novel were just "honored matres figure out how to do it with the worms" written in crayon on a waffle house napkin

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Denis Villeneuve has just released his new movie Dune and gotten the greenlight for the sequel, but the French-Canadian director already has some spice-y ideas to make it a trilogy. As he told The Hollywood Reporter, he hopes to base the third flick on Frank Herbert’s Dune Messiah.

“If things go well with Part Two, I could foresee the idea of maybe doing a third movie, Dune Messiah,” he said. “That would make sense to me.”

The 1969 Messiah is set 12 years after 1965’s Dune. Without delving too far into spoilers — but still, minor spoilers to follow — it finds Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet in the films) struggling with the intersection of religion and bureaucracy, focused on his family and trying to reject his own deification.

Villeneuve hinted at this in his interview. “Frank Herbert wrote Dune as a warning towards those messianic figures, those chosen ones, those savior figures,” he said. “It’s about how dangerous those kinds of figures can be. It’s a criticism of the messianic figure.”

:getin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do the worms eat ?? It can only be sand trout

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They are filter feeders and possibly nuclear engines

They also eat spice harvesters, crew, carryalls, and assorted Harkonnens

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The teeth being like baleen makes a lot of sense

You …. Solved a mystery for me

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

That's the kind of news I want to hear.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Can't remember if this was posted in this or one of the other 5 dune threads. But there's never a reason not to post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

If Ryu was also the Pope

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Bloop posted:

They also eat rear end

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Bloop posted:

They are filter feeders and possibly nuclear engines

They also eat spice harvesters, crew, carryalls, and assorted Harkonnens

the BG filter people. worms filter harvesters, like grains of sand

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

kiimo posted:

sandworm blowjob

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

euphronius posted:

What do the worms eat ?? It can only be sand trout

The appendix refers to "sand plankton":

"Now they had the circular relationship: little maker to pre-spice mass; little maker to shai-hulud; shai-hulud to scatter the spice upon which fed microscopic creatures called sand plankton; the sand plankton, food for shai-hulud, growing, burrowing, becoming little makers."

"At the desert edge of the plantings, the sand plankton is being poisoned through interaction with the new forms of life. The reason: protein incompatibility. Poisonous water was forming there which the Arrakis life would not touch. A barren zone surrounded the plantings and even shai-hulud would not invade it."

"The second discovery concerned the sand-worm. These mighty creatures began their lives as sand plankton, then matured into the sandtrout form before becoming worm, It was the sandtrout phase — in which the "water-stealers" swam freely through the sand and sealed off all available water in the porous lower strata."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kntfkr posted:

sandworm blowjob

sandworm sucked me off????