Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

It's directed by Giulio Questi, who did Death Laid An Egg

Can we talk about Death Laid An Egg? For a long time I knew it as just a funny title but having now watched it, it might straight up be the most insane giallo I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Takes No Damage posted:

*High Plains Drifter has logged on to the chat* This pretty much is a Western horror movie now that I think about it...

How gorey is Psycho Goreman? The trailer makes it look relatively tame and funny, is this balanced by scenes of ridiculous over the top violence? I'm super into it if it is, but I'm also looking for something new to watch with my parents on Halloween and if PG is ~relatively~ kid friendly it might work.

It's gory but in a pretty cheap looking halloween mask way. I'm not sure a kid would enjoy it but I don't know, seems like it was made for pretty specific type of adult fan.

Edit: After refreshing my memory I think all the gore in PG is pretty kid friendly but the sheer quantity of it might be too much.

Police_monitoring fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 29, 2021

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Chris James 2 posted:

...Huh. I don't quite know what to think of Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin beyond "it doesn't feel like a Paranormal Activity film". Not necessarily a bad thing itself, obviously

Some choices were definitely made! Including, but not limited to:
having no ghosts

I don't think much of the swings this took quite worked out, but it's the most I've thought about a PA film after getting to the end credits in a long time
I thought it was fine, but to this point, I thought it was always just a demon or something like that pretending to be a ghost. I also was a bit let down that the only real gimmick they tried to lean into was some very sparse, almost Judge Dredd-esque slo-mo. Man, remember when they tried to capture the things on camera with a Kinect or they had that random Latino gang fight undead witches. This just kinda felt like they needed something out there since there weren't really any Conjurings or Annabelles or ummm La Lloronas waiting in the wings.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Can we talk about Death Laid An Egg? For a long time I knew it as just a funny title but having now watched it, it might straight up be the most insane giallo I've ever seen.

I keep meaning to get around to this. A giallo at a chicken farm sounds so wild lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, for me there's "fun scared" and then there's "actually scared" and the thing about being actually scared is that it kind of sucks frankly.

I get fun scared when I ride a roller coaster or when I watch Phantasm, that movie has the the exact same pacing and internal logic as a nightmare and I love it.

I get actually scared when I'm making a delivery at 3 AM to a farm house in the middle of nowhere and it's pitch black because there are no lights anywhere and I suddenly realize that I could be killed right now and no one would even know where to start looking for my corpse.

Part of the appeal for me, personally, is that horror movies let you experience fear in a safe way that makes the fear less genuine but more enjoyable. A horror movie won't actually kill you or cause you violent harm in real life, and frankly I prefer that.

Yeah, I should have been a little bit more clear in my original post. I meant the fun-type scared. Where maybe you like to see monsters and great gore effects but then every once in a while you see one that legitimately gives you that fun-scared feeling on top of all the other stuff.

Nothing at all cool about being really scared for your life, for real.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hereditary is the last thing I can think of that left me actually scared during the movie, and stuck with me enough to be creepy enough when I would think about it days later.

Mostly I watch horror movies for either tension/release or fun, depending on what "kind" of horror movie it is, rather than scares.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I keep meaning to get around to this. A giallo at a chicken farm sounds so wild lol

I guarantee you it's even weirder than you expect. Last I checked it was streaming on Arrow if you have that, I first saw it via Kanopy but I don't know if it's still up there.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Psycho Goreman is like a very gory episode of power rangers or those coming of age movies where a child befriends a fantastical creature.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to be friend with PG

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Psycho Goreman is like a very gory episode of power rangers or those coming of age movies where a child befriends a fantastical creature.

Every time I get close to watching this movie, someone says something that turns me away again. Thank you for your service.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What the gently caress did you think it was lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I want to be friend with PG

PG desires not your vapid friendship. he wishes to conquer and destroy and sometimes... rock out

feedmyleg posted:

Every time I get close to watching this movie, someone says something that turns me away again. Thank you for your service.

lmao

CelticPredator posted:

What the gently caress did you think it was lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I wouldn’t call PG coming of age. There’s only one, and a pretty funny warped arc in the film, but no one really learns anything lol.

And PG is my friend and he is powerful

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

so edgy i cut YOU BITCH posted:

Popping out of lurking to comment on the current discussion RE: movies actually scaring you.

It's really weird but the only movie I can remember that's legit scared me in a long, long time is Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum. No spoilers incoming, just a general feeling about the movie:

After all of the setup is done, once things start popping off one scene just really hit me hard and made the rest of the movie almost hard to watch because I had an animal fear that it was either going to return to a similar scene or something else on that level was coming. People who are familiar with the movie probably know what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't call it "the greatest" horror movie or anything like that but I've always been surprised that it isn't talked about more. I wonder if I was just in a weird headspace while watching that movie and that I'm overselling it to everyone else I recommend it to.

Just finished Gonjiam myself and bolded that part because jesus fuckign christ that was easily the scariest scene I've seen all month. I'm going to go walk the dog now. (The rest of the movie - I have nitpicks and complaints but that one scene, got me right in the primal fears)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Also I wouldn’t call PG coming of age. There’s only one, and a pretty funny warped arc in the film, but no one really learns anything lol.

And PG is my friend and he is powerful

PG learned a lot about friendship...

the movie also reminded me of troma movies like Toxic Avenger only more tame and with much less fecal matter lol

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One of their movies Father's Day technically is a Troma movie, financed and distributed, produced by Lloyd etc.

feedmyleg posted:

Have you dipped into the Astron-6 waters? Its those guys, they're really funny and cool.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

hmmmmm singapore sling hmmmmmm

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

With less gore PG wouldn't be any more objectionable than Suburban Commando

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I only hope PG, if they're ever allowed a sequel, gets enough budget for the animatronics it clearly yearns for

Or even shittier muppets

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

hmmmmm singapore sling hmmmmmm

Oh man that movie is nuts. So good tho.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 29, 2021

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The Witch is so good because the opening scene is shows a witch masturbating with ground up baby for lube , so you know you’re in for a nightmare and expecting it to get worse the whole time. It does! Wow!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The Witch is so good because the opening scene is shows a witch masturbating with ground up baby for lube , so you know you’re in for a nightmare and expecting it to get worse the whole time. It does! Wow!

I'd like to see how you'd make flying ointment any other way.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I'm reading what's either a small book or a large pamphlet called "Deathconsciousness", and I'm pretty sure it's fiction masquerading as non-fiction and I'm a dummy, but it claims a horror movie movie called "The Devil Sings Softly" was made in 1954. It claims the movie is hard to find. Is it real? Or am I dumb.

I believe this pamphlet was made by a postpunk band called Have A Nice Life

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

I believe this pamphlet was made by a postpunk band called Have A Nice Life

It was, I actually got it at a HANL concert a while ago. It's just so well-written it definitely fooled me into thinking it was a piece of non-fiction. I think the singer is a college professor which would explain it's academic quality. However, it's entirely fictional and I spent an hour searching for a movie that didn't exist lol.

it's a pretty spooky read though. It's like found footage but for books. Found literature. Def worth checking out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

It definitely has the shape of a coming of age story, but then that just doesn't happen.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The trick with a lot of horror is that it’s actually designed to comfort.

“When you get home tonight, and the lights have been turned out, and you are afraid to look behind the curtains — and you dread to see a face appear at the window — well, just pull yourself together and remember that, after all, there are such things as vampires.”

Watching Dracula 1931 for the first time, it’s surprising to find out that it’s actually an exorcism movie. Dracula himself barely exists as a character and Mina is clearly ‘just’ mentally ill - but Dr. Van Helsing’s unorthodox treatment is this whole theatrical presentation of Hungarian folk remedies, purification rituals, etc. This ends with the good doctor straight-up breaking the 4th wall and telling the audience that the idea of a vampire is way less scary than going insane.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I saw Last Night in Soho last night, and I enjoyed it. Wright strips away the comedy of his previous films, and just lets this one be more of a horror film. The cinematography felt Giallo-like, although I am sure someone is going to disagree with me, and the story had elements of Polanski's The Apartment Trilogy. But it was definitely its own thing. The two leads were fantastic. McKenzie really nails the mousy young girl going to the Big City for the first time. Taylor-Joy plays confident and troubled well.

On the other hand, I can see why people may criticize this. The concept of the film at times feels like it suffocates the narrative. I have also seen people criticizing the second half.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Hereditary is the last thing I can think of that left me actually scared during the movie, and stuck with me enough to be creepy enough when I would think about it days later.

:same:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just realized we're in a Halloween III year, in the movie the 29th is a Friday.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

good movie imo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, I watched it a couple weeks ago, and when I saw that I almost shelved it for today, but didn't.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

oh drat, guess i know what im watching after Dream Child.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

CelticPredator posted:

Hey all I’m gonna show a workprint mostly done ish version of my short on the Scream Stream on Halloween day if you wanna see it.

Effects and score are temp but the rest I think is about what it should be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k21g9fN6vI8

I’m not sure what time but you should come anyway bc scream stream rules.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980898&perpage=40&noseen=1

Cool trailer!

I have had a very blessed couple of nights watching horror films with Prey, The Lure, Good Manners and Wild Zero. It's rare I'll love new watches but these four killed me - all different tones with varying degrees of horror but batshit crazy and brilliant.

Wild Zero tonight was hilarious and had a beautiful progressive message, 1999 Japanese punks loving rule.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

dorium posted:

oh drat, guess i know what im watching after Dream Child.

You could also not watch Dream Child and see it even earlier.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I saw Last Night in Soho and thought it was just okay. The entire time Anya Taylor-Joy was on screen, I wished I was rewatching The Witch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ThePopeOfFun posted:

What movie are you watching? The VVitch?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

What movie are you watching? The VVitch?

If so that's super not what she's doing in the beginning.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RobbZombae posted:

Cool trailer!

Ty!

Unlike PG it is a coming of age story kinda.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You could also not watch Dream Child and see it even earlier.

Well I finished dream child and am
Now watching Halloween III. I am a strong and capable individual, something something Silver Shamrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Something I just caught on my last watch of Halloween 3 - when Tom Atkins calls his ex from the pay phone, he tells her he’ll still be back in time to take their kids trick or treating. Then he ends the call by saying, “I’ll call you on Monday.”

Halloween, like this year, is on Sunday in the movie. He was never going to take those kids trick or treating, even without the Celtic death cult, lol.