Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Have they fixed the alignment bug yet? I want to dive in, but I’m not abou to start the update all about clean builds only to place a bunch of stuff slightly off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Have they fixed the alignment bug yet? I want to dive in, but I’m not abou to start the update all about clean builds only to place a bunch of stuff slightly off.

If we're thinking of the same thing, then yes it was fixed in the v0.5.0.4 update.

But also, it was only the preview hologram that was misaligned and the actual placed building was aligned with its neighbor properly.

Also also, this update made placing buildings while holding ctrl to snap screwy. At least it's easy enough to line up building placement on foundations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Um, I got good news and bad news. Ctrl-snapping a building onto an adjacent building no longer places it 10" off the grid square alignment.

Ctrl-snapping a building onto an adjacent building is completely broken.

Myself, I'm spending the week or so while stuff is buggy and weird to re-do my rail network, and use the new decor parts on my old builds. The roof pieces are so good, they really help make things feel a bit more open inside even if you have fairly low ceilings.

Old and busted:

The new hotness:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man I do NOT like the platform recipe change, lol. I have got to get so many iron plates!

I went to build an iron plate setup and got all pissed off by the control snapping being broken, bah!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I cannot figure out how to use the new conveyer holes. It looks like the lifts snap to the holes, but for some reason it biffs connecting with a lift on the other side?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Synastren posted:

I cannot figure out how to use the new conveyer holes. It looks like the lifts snap to the holes, but for some reason it biffs connecting with a lift on the other side?

See if the hole acts like a conveyor pole? Like, run a belt from the lift end to the wall.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

LonsomeSon posted:

See if the hole acts like a conveyor pole? Like, run a belt from the lift end to the wall.

When I tried to run a belt, it gave a super weird graphic of a belt vertically coming from the hole, but didn't actually let me place anything.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Synastren posted:

When I tried to run a belt, it gave a super weird graphic of a belt vertically coming from the hole, but didn't actually let me place anything.

Ok well that’s surely no kind of expected behavior so seems like there’s a bug. Fucken wild, I wonder what’s going on?

e: what happens when you try to run a belt from a conveyor exit to conveyor entrance, through the hole?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Synastren posted:

They're a little buggy at the moment. If you place the input lift first it won't let you place an output lift and it is very particular about where you're aiming to snap the second lift.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMO, don't even bother connecting the lifts to the floor holes. Just put a hole on the floor for aesthetic coverage, then run your lift all the way through to where you need to go. Looks fine.

priznat posted:

Man I do NOT like the platform recipe change, lol. I have got to get so many iron plates!

I went to build an iron plate setup and got all pissed off by the control snapping being broken, bah!

If you have 4 tickets you can grab the concrete material option for foundations, that costs only concrete to build.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
TIL there's mass dismantle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

If you have 4 tickets you can grab the concrete material option for foundations, that costs only concrete to build.

What the what I didn’t know that was a thing, lmao. I am way behind. I swear they were just concrete when I played before.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

priznat posted:

What the what I didn’t know that was a thing, lmao. I am way behind. I swear they were just concrete when I played before.

They were, but this update added materials. Foundations now cost 4 concrete + 2 items specific to their material (iron plates, more concrete, plastic)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Oh they were.

But the big thing in U5 is the giant overhaul to custom colors, materials, and decor. The new method is that painting color is free, and foundations walls etc now come in different materials. But they cost different build items depending on what type and material you're using.

So windows need silica, metal walls and foundation frames need steel beams, there are super-cool foundation variants that need steel or plastic, and so on. The total cost to build a structure is generally higher, and you need to carry a few extra mats (mostly silica).

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Peewi posted:

They're a little buggy at the moment. If you place the input lift first it won't let you place an output lift and it is very particular about where you're aiming to snap the second lift.

This is what I figured out after 20 minutes of tinkering. whichever side of the hole you connect to first assumes the role out output, and when you're connecting the other side, you're trying to connect to the other conveyor lift through the hole as opposed to the hole itself (at least that's my interpretation of finding the connection point).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess there's finally a reason to keep all the mushroom silica. So far I haven't had use for it.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Combat Pretzel posted:

TIL there's mass dismantle.
Even better, they improved it in Update 5:

Patch Notes posted:

While in Mass Dismantle mode, holding ‘Mouse Button 4’ (side button) will only keep either the most common, or the first, building type selected for dismantle

This makes it easier to exclude accidental selections while Mass Dismantling a specific type of building

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I was thrilled to see that. So many times I've got 30+ items to be culled and then tag a needed manufacturer by accident.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I was thrilled to see that. So many times I've got 30+ items to be culled and then tag a needed manufacturer by accident.

I Chernobyled myself on my last save because I accidentally included an oil pipe in a mass delete at some point which shut down petcoke production, which then shut down aluminum production, which then shut down heat sink production, which then shut down the uranium waste to plutonium rod production. 180GW facility turned into an irradiated mess, whoops.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I Chernobyled myself on my last save because I accidentally included an oil pipe in a mass delete at some point which shut down petcoke production, which then shut down aluminum production, which then shut down heat sink production, which then shut down the uranium waste to plutonium rod production. 180GW facility turned into an irradiated mess, whoops.

lmao

I stopped using mass dismantle when I got sick of inducing faults in random production lines due to deleting power lines. Faults that would only sneakily become apparent much later due to generous use of buffer containers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

before i burn a not-insignificant amount of bandwidth re-downloading this and switching to experimental, does it seem reasonably stable or is it still in the early Here Be Dragons stage of updates?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

before i burn a not-insignificant amount of bandwidth re-downloading this and switching to experimental, does it seem reasonably stable or is it still in the early Here Be Dragons stage of updates?

Single player has been stable, for me at least. Though there were a couple crash bugs they've fixed in patches, I luckily didn't encounter them. MP reportedly is a bit unstable.

However there are lots of pretty annoying bugs at the moment, some of which make factory-building kinda lovely. So I would say you should only update if you have other things to occupy yourself in an existing save. For example, putting signals & fixing collision on a rail network, or re-decorating all your old bases with the new cosmetics.

You should *not* switch to experimental if you plan to start a new world. There's nothing new for the early game. In fact I would say if you plan to start a new world for U5, start it in U4 now and do the first 2 tiers, so you can build cheaper foundations and walls.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

Single player has been stable, for me at least. Though there were a couple crash bugs they've fixed in patches, I luckily didn't encounter them. MP reportedly is a bit unstable.

However there are lots of pretty annoying bugs at the moment, some of which make factory-building kinda lovely. So I would say you should only update if you have other things to occupy yourself in an existing save. For example, putting signals & fixing collision on a rail network, or re-decorating all your old bases with the new cosmetics.

You should *not* switch to experimental if you plan to start a new world. There's nothing new for the early game. In fact I would say if you plan to start a new world for U5, start it in U4 now and do the first 2 tiers, so you can build cheaper foundations and walls.

seems reasonable. man i'd like that zoop building though

think i might do a desert start, i've never tried that before

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

seems reasonable. man i'd like that zoop building though

think i might do a desert start, i've never tried that before

Zoop is nice but the SMART mod is still better anyway so just put that on U4.

I have been trying to figure out the best method for a rail system. I’m mostly built on the western shore with most stuff by the oil and the lake near the one starting area in the northwest. Focusing on getting stuff together for the tier 7/8 space elevator unlock.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

actually what i really want is the thru-foundation belts n stuff, is that available in mod form? i've never messed with mods in this game (thanks for mentioning SMART, i'll look into it)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

I have been trying to figure out the best method for a rail system. I’m mostly built on the western shore with most stuff by the oil and the lake near the one starting area in the northwest. Focusing on getting stuff together for the tier 7/8 space elevator unlock.

As in the design of a network, or building it in-game and making it look good?

For the network, I'd think the being concentrated on the west shore like that you could just build one main north-south line (with double rails) and split off from that to each location you need to service.

For how to build in game, IMO elevated rails are the way to go. You can build straight and level so the trains go fast, and it looks great if you build nice pillar supports. Slower than building on the ground, but it you have the hoverpack it's not terrible.

Ciaphas posted:

actually what i really want is the thru-foundation belts n stuff, is that available in mod form? i've never messed with mods in this game (thanks for mentioning SMART, i'll look into it)

There's a mod that does that. But if you build stuff with a mod and then stop using the mod, it's deleted from the world and all your poo poo stops working until you replace it. So I would not hop onto any mods that make new building objects right now.

(Smart is fine though, any normal building placed with smart is just a normal building and is fine even if you remove mods.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

As in the design of a network, or building it in-game and making it look good?

For the network, I'd think the being concentrated on the west shore like that you could just build one main north-south line (with double rails) and split off from that to each location you need to service.

For how to build in game, IMO elevated rails are the way to go. You can build straight and level so the trains go fast, and it looks great if you build nice pillar supports. Slower than building on the ground, but it you have the hoverpack it's not terrible.

Heck yes, this is pretty much how I was doing it with a wide elevated section 4 foundations wide so no problem adding an extra track. I made a loop and added some mini stations at resource spots so I can have a train circulating with a car full of concrete or whatever else to drop off as needed. I will have to add signals to prevent rear ending collisions when they’re loading/unloading. Actually I should probably just have the stations on a spur to prevent this (still would need a signal to prevent merge crashes). If the schedule is set they auto choose the correct switch to get to a station, right?

I think I will make a large warehouse or two for storing, I need to unlock smart splitters to start handling overflow. Especially with the new stuff to buy at the store I need tickets!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Actually I should probably just have the stations on a spur to prevent this (still would need a signal to prevent merge crashes).

That's the best way to do it; the train docking takes long enough to cause cascading stops & delays if you have sufficient traffic on the main line. But "sufficient traffic" depends on how many trains are running and how far apart they are on average.

(I violate the hell out of this rule, because I really like the look of buildings where the train line goes directly into and through the structure. OTOH I'm also spread all the way across the whole map, and many of the factories are on secondary lines. There's only one that's at a chokepoint, which I can probably tolerate. Or use the new train settings to make it idle at other stations.)

priznat posted:

If the schedule is set they auto choose the correct switch to get to a station, right?

Yep, autopilot trains ignore the left/right switches.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing that kind of broke my brain for a bit is the build order on the tracks when doing a nice corner, you can’t place straight sections for a nice 90 that is 3 ahead and 3 over first, but you can make it with the straight - curve - straight. It is on the official wiki saying this.

I spent way too long trying to join the straight ones with a curve, lol.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I cobbled my way up to tiers 5 and 6 then deconstructed drat near everything because it was getting spaghettified. I am really lovely at math and this game is hard for me. Like I dicked with excel for like an hour last night to figure out how to do reinforced iron plates and I think I was massively overproducing them. This game is cool and I see how people end up with like 2000 hours.

I started in the desert and am by a spot with 6 regular iron nodes, so I can make a ton of iron stuff there. There are also 2 copper nodes and water, but coal is far away. I ran a conveyer belt all the way back not realizing that there was water RIGHT by the 4 coal nodes... welp. Also I knew that steel would need coal, so that is ok I guess.

The later tiers of stuff being like 12.5 ingots or 37.5 quartz is very difficult. And then figuring what I need for where I want to end up is hard cause I don't even really know what I will need.

I read that tier 5 is a good place to start automating steel and steel products. I guess that is where I will start.

Do you guys do smaller factories that are mostly self contained and then trucks to transport? Or like mega factories? Or mega busses? Lots of choices and I am kinda paralyzed.

Oh and my highest math class? Algebra 1. Rip.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Algebra 1 is all you need to do the conversions needed (remembering which rules apply when is of course another thing).

I usually do what you could call regional nodes. Basic stuff happens at the build around my start area, steel usually has a separate facility (which also makes its own wire/cable and concrete), and oil usually has its own deal as well.

The game’s systems seem to lend themselves more to distributed setups over centralizing everything, at least until one has a huge number of trains. I’ve never done that with trains though, they make distributed production like 10x less aggravating.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I thought I would need stuff on a smaller scale, too. I am looking at 2500 versatile frameworks for the space elevator and at 10/minute that would take like 4 or more hours. The calculator is saying to do it at 40/minute, I would need a shitload of coal and iron. The scale for factories is really huge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i feel like i'm more confused trying to read satisfactory-calculator than i should be

how do I use it to say "I've got 120 iron/min right now, how do i max that out making reinforced iron plates"? (i know the answer to that now but it was through stumbling thru maths and eventually finding a cheatsheet)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

vandalism posted:

I cobbled my way up to tiers 5 and 6 then deconstructed drat near everything because it was getting spaghettified. I am really lovely at math and this game is hard for me. Like I dicked with excel for like an hour last night to figure out how to do reinforced iron plates and I think I was massively overproducing them. This game is cool and I see how people end up with like 2000 hours.
If you don't enjoy doing the math & spreadsheets yourself, there are two online tools that do it for you:
satisfactorytools
satisfactory-calculator (also has a map that you can use to see everything in the game, if you're ok with spoilers. but I highly recommend to avoid the map as long as possible, because exploration is lots of fun and the online map ruins that. wait until you reach a similar level of frustrations and are yelling "just show me where I can get caterium and oil in the same area!")

I stopped calculating everything by hand after my first heavy modular frame factory. A complete chain for late-game stuff is just too complex, and the online tools let you quickly look at alternatives with alt recipes and such.

I don't *only* use those planners. I still have copious notes on paper and pc for how things go, sketched and diagrams to plan layouts, that poo poo. The planners are just a much easier starting position.

vandalism posted:

Do you guys do smaller factories that are mostly self contained and then trucks to transport? Or like mega factories? Or mega busses? Lots of choices and I am kinda paralyzed.

Mini factories, though connected with trains because I'm well further along. IMO dedicated satellite factories are the best because you work on them, finish the job, and get to sit back and be satisfied with your creation. And then you can leave them to keep chugging out product and forget everything inside.

vandalism posted:

I thought I would need stuff on a smaller scale, too. I am looking at 2500 versatile frameworks for the space elevator and at 10/minute that would take like 4 or more hours. The calculator is saying to do it at 40/minute, I would need a shitload of coal and iron. The scale for factories is really huge.

Yeah don't try to make that many.

Think about it this way: versatile frameworks are just the easiest of the 3 items you need for the space elevator. If you set up a single line making just 5/minute, it's gonna keep working while you go and build new factories to make the other two items. Which are much harder. At 5/min it only takes 8-ish hours to make 2500.

Trust me, it's gonna take you more than 8 hours to do the other two. The ACUs are lots of fun.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 31, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

i feel like i'm more confused trying to read satisfactory-calculator than i should be

how do I use it to say "I've got 120 iron/min right now, how do i max that out making reinforced iron plates"? (i know the answer to that now but it was through stumbling thru maths and eventually finding a cheatsheet)

IMO satisfactorytools is *much* easier to use, and includes a "maximize" option in the production tab (set your input resources first to what you have available, as the default resource numbers are "everything on the map")

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

You can play without doing any math, you don't have to balance everything. You can see when machines aren't running at full speed and which belts are backed up, and then you just increase the relevant production or add storage or whatever. Or if you find you're always running short on something then you go add more production for that.

So yeah, don't get caught up in spreadsheets and calculators and stuff unless you actually enjoy that aspect.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Klyith posted:

If you don't enjoy doing the math & spreadsheets yourself, there are two online tools that do it for you:
satisfactorytools
satisfactory-calculator

It's not that I don't enjoy it, it's that the part of my brain that should be programmed for doing math and spreadsheets is actually filled with knowledge of most of the 984 pokemon. Superpowers come with a cost.

In all seriousness, though, thanks for the advice. I am gonna try out these resources and tactics.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I tried starting a new save in Experimental and the game would crash every 5-10 minutes, not for any specific reason. Some times it crashed when connecting a belt or a power line, some times when opening a machine UI, some times for no apparent reason at all.

Loading my previous U4 save hasn't crashed (yet), but I had a few modded buildings in that that I have to run around replacing.

e: Also holy poo poo the northern forest is gorgeous now.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 31, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

VegasGoat posted:

You can play without doing any math, you don't have to balance everything. You can see when machines aren't running at full speed and which belts are backed up, and then you just increase the relevant production or add storage or whatever. Or if you find you're always running short on something then you go add more production for that.

So yeah, don't get caught up in spreadsheets and calculators and stuff unless you actually enjoy that aspect.

I keep trying this and maybe it'll work better in U5 but previously all I got was frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Learning how to set up a manifold alleviates a lot of this kind of frustration. You don't have to constantly try and tear down and rebuild to balance out your input constantly or getting caught up on machines having a 0.1 input disrepancy cause that used to annoy me to no end.