Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

After a long time and a lot of work, Exalted Versus World of Darkness Revised is finally out, with editing and layout by yours truly.

I am so glad that I can finally stop banging at inDesign for at least a month.

Ah, I see that in chargen you allot attributes and skills linearly while, post-chargen, the costs to increase your attributes and skills scale with rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ferrinus posted:

Ah, I see that in chargen you allot attributes and skills linearly while, post-chargen, the costs to increase your attributes and skills scale with rating.

That's not the worst thing! I wanted to go ahead and remove the paragraph indent after headings, because only barbarians use that, but Holden said I had to follow the traditional White Wolf house style exactly.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

So I just received a DriveThruRPG print on demand order in the mail. I had ordered V20 and the Guide to the Sabbat to develop a character I've been thinking up for a while (and will likely never play) and wanted to actually flesh it out just for fun and I'd been wanting printed copies rather than PDFs for a while just for my own enjoyment. I received the Guide to the Sabbat, two core rule books to unrelated games as a bonus, and (what I assumed incorrectly) Changeling: the Lost. I checked the packing slip and my DTRPG account and it turns out the only thing that officially shipped was the Sabbat Guide. V:tM 20th hasn't even shipped, so Changeling was a freebie. I was never interested in Changeling: the Dreaming, but on flipping through, the Lost seems pretty dang cool. Anyone have any experience with it? Also, does anyone know if receiving a ridiculous amount of free stuff from DriveThruRPG is a regular occurance?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I've been in a weekly Lost game for a year+ now and it's been great. As long as you are pretty vicious about cutting out what parts of the rules don't work (most Hedgespinning, as a result most stuff related to dreams) and emphasizing the parts of the game conceit that do (broken, time-lost people making a found family and occasionally meeting talking birds with possibly benign, probably sinister motives), it can be a great time.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Rand Brittain posted:

That's not the worst thing! I wanted to go ahead and remove the paragraph indent after headings, because only barbarians use that, but Holden said I had to follow the traditional White Wolf house style exactly.

On what's probably a less Holden topic, I presume InDesign has some autobookmarking feature, because it periodically messed up and treated the first in a long list of subheaders as the list's overheader category (so for example, for the Night People chapter, there's a single top-level bookmark, "Vampire: the Masquerade," with "Werewolf: the Apocalypse," "Mage: the Ascension," etc. listed as subsections of Vampire). Plus some general inconsistency as to whether stuff like Appropriate Backgrounds or Special Rules for These Exalted is a top-level bookmark or a subsection of Essence Renewal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

On what's probably a less Holden topic, I presume InDesign has some autobookmarking feature, because it periodically messed up and treated the first in a long list of subheaders as the list's overheader category (so for example, for the Night People chapter, there's a single top-level bookmark, "Vampire: the Masquerade," with "Werewolf: the Apocalypse," "Mage: the Ascension," etc. listed as subsections of Vampire). Plus some general inconsistency as to whether stuff like Appropriate Backgrounds or Special Rules for These Exalted is a top-level bookmark or a subsection of Essence Renewal.

Yeah, just send me any errors you find; I'm gonna do a 1.01 PDF in a month or so.

(You find a lot of tiny errors in a 500-page corebook that's only ever really had two people's eyes on it.)

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

(broken, time-lost people making a found family and occasionally meeting talking birds with possibly benign, probably sinister motives)

Found my new twitter bio

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's nothing sinister about grandfather crow >:[

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Each time I punch Caine using 'The Empress Lives for All', every vampire there ever has been gets punched too.

I'm loving having SMA in the WoD...

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Might try and put up a recruitment ad for the fan game. Want a group to create a feudal kingdom in California and punch Caine in the face

EDIT: I'm still hoping for Exalted vs Chronicles though, because while I'll miss Vampires mattering, it will be fun to wreck Seer or God Machine poo poo. Or, more importantly, tell a Beast they are a bad person and to kill themselves

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 28, 2021

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Mushika posted:

So I just received a DriveThruRPG print on demand order in the mail. I had ordered V20 and the Guide to the Sabbat to develop a character I've been thinking up for a while (and will likely never play) and wanted to actually flesh it out just for fun and I'd been wanting printed copies rather than PDFs for a while just for my own enjoyment. I received the Guide to the Sabbat, two core rule books to unrelated games as a bonus, and (what I assumed incorrectly) Changeling: the Lost. I checked the packing slip and my DTRPG account and it turns out the only thing that officially shipped was the Sabbat Guide. V:tM 20th hasn't even shipped, so Changeling was a freebie. I was never interested in Changeling: the Dreaming, but on flipping through, the Lost seems pretty dang cool. Anyone have any experience with it? Also, does anyone know if receiving a ridiculous amount of free stuff from DriveThruRPG is a regular occurance?

I can't speak to the DTRPG free stuff bit, but Lost is the best game that ever came out of the Darknesses.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
You know what, I just did it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Are there character sheets out now for Exalted vs World of Darkness Revised?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Are there character sheets out now for Exalted vs World of Darkness Revised?

Mr. Gone made this one for the first edition, which should still work fine.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Thank you!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So I actually read through the V5 Hunter preview and it looks loving dire. You're like, agile, move-fast-and-break-things start-up hunters who are going to disruptivate the vampire-killing market out from under the feet of the stodgy old orgs? You and you alone have special character traits which make you vital and dynamic in the course of your breaking and entering, unlike those other guys? I'm getting ideology poisoning just thinking about it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's a techbro version of iHunt?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oof.

If you're not gonna do Reckoning, don't call it Reckoning.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Ferrinus posted:

So I actually read through the V5 Hunter preview and it looks loving dire. You're like, agile, move-fast-and-break-things start-up hunters who are going to disruptivate the vampire-killing market out from under the feet of the stodgy old orgs? You and you alone have special character traits which make you vital and dynamic in the course of your breaking and entering, unlike those other guys? I'm getting ideology poisoning just thinking about it.

What kind of traits, and from what? Vigil was clear that their special traits were organizational support and group training. Not sure why they'd give Reckoning hunters special stuff while taking away the whole Imbued shtick.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

What kind of traits, and from what? Vigil was clear that their special traits were organizational support and group training. Not sure why they'd give Reckoning hunters special stuff while taking away the whole Imbued shtick.

V5 Hunters are going to get "Edges", "Drive", and uhhh some other D-word that represents a bad thing, which are explicitly special personal qualities most small-h hunters lack. It doesn't appear that these come from being Imbued or some equivalent, but just, you know, being a canny go-getter who moves fast and breaks things, although I suppose they could reveal that you were playing as Imbued all along in some surprise supplement down the line.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I can’t believe you still get Imbued but this time it’s with Sigma Grindset.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Uh oh, both of those 10s came from your Hustle Dice. Time to check the Disruptive Critical table.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’s all blessings from Grandmother.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oof.

If you're not gonna do Reckoning, don't call it Reckoning.

Interestingly according to some study CCP did Reckoning does make the most sense from a recognition perspective thanks to its video games which it had three modestly successful ones that were not buggy messes like Bloodlines or Redemption which didn't stick in the public consciousness as much.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Is it 100% confirmed that these Hunters aren't Imbued? Because they sound a lot like Imbued to me, what with them having sudden access to hidden reserves of power and all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't it turn out that The Messengers empowering the Imbued were actually Kindred of the East or something like that?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Didn't it turn out that The Messengers empowering the Imbued were actually Kindred of the East or something like that?

There was a half-connection to Exalted, same with KotE. The idea of Exalted as the WoD's mythic pre-history died quickly and AFAIK never actually got into the text but it influenced the concepts of a lot of things.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Warthur posted:

Is it 100% confirmed that these Hunters aren't Imbued? Because they sound a lot like Imbued to me, what with them having sudden access to hidden reserves of power and all.

The livestream announcement for the new edition explicitly said that the Imbued will not be in the game. My guess is that there'll be a quick handwave explaining that the Imbued themselves died out in some way between 2003 to now to tie back in with the previous edition, but their basic condition just happens to people now, no Messengers necessary. It's either that or Edges in H5 are just numina, psychic powers, and whatever hedge sorcery doesn't up in the Mage splat under a catchy umbrella term.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Some of the late apocalyptic releases, like Days of Fire and the Time of Judgment scenario, strongly implied that the Messengers were both a) the last two remaining angels in Creation, the rest of which had abandoned it either to follow after or search for the disappeared God, and b) the Scarlet Queen and the Ebon Dragon, divine figures in the Kindred of the East mythology who epitomized or ruled over the forces of yang and of yin.

Simultaneously, some of the earlier Hunter material implied or stated that the power of the Imbued was the same power, greatly diminished over time, that had once been gifted to the Wan Xian, the immortals whose hubris led them to be made into the first of the Kindred of the East.

The Exalted connections were more tenuous and probably weakened by the design of Exalted's setting changing over development time. The Imbued were half implied to be the lesser heirs of the Solar Exalted, but the Wan Xian more strongly resembled the Dragon-Blooded. A lot of the Kindred of the East terms above (and some more involved in this setting background, like mentions of "Mount Meru") were reused in Exalted, but in very different ways. If the Messengers were the Scarlet Queen and the Ebon Dragon, they were definitely the KotE figures, which were both very different figures from Exalted's Scarlet Empress and Ebon Dragon.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 30, 2021

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

lol

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Also, it was Lucifer, if you listen to a different supplement.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Loomer posted:

Also, it was Lucifer, if you listen to a different supplement.

Lucifer doesn't like supernaturals?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I Am Just a Box posted:

Simultaneously, some of the earlier Hunter material implied or stated that the power of the Imbued was the same power, greatly diminished over time, that had once been gifted to the Wan Xian, the immortals whose hubris led them to be made into the first of the Kindred of the East.

Yeah, there's a specific instance in I believe the Hunter's Survival Guide (but maybe not, it could have been a splat book, I'm not Loomer okay) where an Imbued tumbles across a Cathayan and the latter has a weird moment where their brain bluescreens before they freak out in a way that also implies recognition on some level.

In the same book there was an interesting thing where a Hunter happens across what is probably a Nosferatu and... something else, with the Else yelling about how the Rule of Day is going to defeat the Rule of Night but it's never followed up on. Hunter did like to play with dumb WoD nerds like me and throw curveballs at monster identification though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

nofather posted:

He absolutely does not, no. DtF Lucifer is one of the better versions of the Paradise Lost Lucifer in relatively recent media, motivated both by obedience to Her and by a genuine, if deeply damaged, love of humanity. Since most supernaturals are out there just loving destroying human lives every day, whether to survive on their blood or as part of their schemes of power or as bystanders in the war, and since the Abyss just cracked right open, he figured humanity could use a little extra edge against the enemy.

Of course, the ToJ scenario where he comes into power isn't really Great for humanity either. I go into that here.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

If they go all in on the tech economy metaphor it would be better.

The Second Inquisition is now hiring contractors to hunt down vampires. Does your gang have the grit and determination to disrupt the vampire hunting market?

Have the gameplay goal be getting the vampire hunting operation big enough to be bought out by one of the established orgs, so all the characters get to retire.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

nofather posted:

Lucifer is incredibly pissy about supernaturals, although it kind of seems like he doesn't know much about them (which fits because the WoD Lucifer, in addition to all the stuff Loomer said which is completely correct, is a moron who is wrong about everything and cannot do anything right).

Check of Days of Fire for more details!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, just send me any errors you find; I'm gonna do a 1.01 PDF in a month or so.

(You find a lot of tiny errors in a 500-page corebook that's only ever really had two people's eyes on it.)

Might sit down and run through the bookmarks at some point, but I don't have PMs so I dunno where to send 'em.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Second Inquisition is now hiring contractors to hunt down vampires. Does your gang have the grit and determination to disrupt the vampire hunting market?

Have the gameplay goal be getting the vampire hunting operation big enough to be bought out by one of the established orgs, so all the characters get to retire.

I would totally play a team of hip young disruptors who go in thinking this is how vampire hunting will work and then Oh God this isn't like San Francisco at all there's PMCs and gunfire everywhere and a man just bled out in front of me why didn't we just make a shitcoin.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lucifer really, really hates Caine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think this is literally the premise of an rpg called iHunt