Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Truth and Reconciliation! no not like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aaaaand the appeal has been paused for some five minutes to midnight negotiations with First Nations. They've agreed to pause litigation until December which makes this imminent news conference completely pointless. We are here to announce that our decision has been delayed for two months.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 29, 2021

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Arc Hammer posted:

Union on strike in New Brunswick so schools are closed and Higgs is complaining that CUPE is being irresponsible by striking during a pandemic.

gently caress off Higgs.

The general feedback from the chat I was watching today during that event seemed to lean about 95% pro-CUPE. I don't know who is making the PR calls in the NB government for their messaging but they should be getting nice Christmas baskets from all of their opponents this year.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
How many of these loving Fords are there

https://twitter.com/MichaelFordTO/status/1450893909832474628

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Technically he’s not a Ford. He’s the son of Doug’s sister so he had her married surname. He changed his surname to Ford just before he registered to run for election.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Technically he’s not a Ford. He’s the son of Doug’s sister so he had her married surname. He changed his surname to Ford just before he registered to run for election.

That's pathetic as hell lmao.

Can't wait for this idiot's policies to win out and hunter seeker drones going after cyclists and anyone outside a car becoming municipal policy by 2030 given the trajectory of this province's politics

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Michael Ford was elected as a school board trustee at the ripe old age of 20, behind his years of experience of going to high school. Then he got 69% of the vote (nice) to replace his lovely uncle (the dead one). Although the riding is traditionally Liberal federally, when Toronto's wards were merged, he managed to beat the generic center-right loser from the ward next door on the basis of his shiny last name, so who's laughing now? That might be because the loser (Crisanti) tried to pivot right and declare what a great friend of Rob Ford he was while, uh, running against his nephew.

The Ford klan often express strong opinions on what (old) Toronto should do with its streets, usually shortly after driving down them to/from their suburban fortress while reading newspapers, for which we are eternally grateful.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Buuut, CafeTO is a program that's used by small businesses??? :psyduck:

Also, small businesses don't have a clue where their business comes from, or who their customers are. These people are not doing demographics studies or transportation analysis.

Every dumbass business owner on Commercial Drive in Vancouver has been bitching about bike lanes and removal of parking spaces for years. They are unable to comprehend that infrastructure and design drives usage, not the other way around.
Yet magically whenever a city forces lane closures etc. on them it ends up being great and the majority of impacted businesses want to keep them.

Ottawa kept its road closures in the Market and it has been a huge boon to the restaurants and businesses there.

In closing, every BIA is run by people without a clue. The kind of people who think that making the street attached to one of the busiest Skytrain stations in the region and the busiest bus line in North America pedestrian-first is a bad idea.
Small business owners cannot be trusted to decide on anything outside of their very narrow specialty.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I don’t think the people The Fords speak to ever set foot into small businesses in Toronto.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Every pedestrianized street I've ever seen is 1000x better for businesses than prioritizing traffic flow. You know what it looks like when you prioritize traffic flow? Main street and most of King Street (i.e. not international village) in Hamilton - just zero businesses whatsoever, because who wants to put a storefront on a 5 lane highway going through downtown?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anti-bike, pro-street-parking small business owners do not care about their bottom line, they just can't stand the thought of having to park in a lot like a poor instead of taking up the space in front of their store all day long.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I was gonna say, I think the simpler explanation isn't stupidity, it's projection.

Why yes, this small business of six wage-earning employees and one owner is against raising taxes on the owner. How did you guess?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1454165788026343427

:fuckoff:

Gotta protect Harris and co.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

half cocaine posted:

https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1454025974543261698?s=21

tldr he isn't doing poo poo

FYI, almost all major grocery stores in the lower mainland are owned by Pattison and Weston.

My dad hated this loving piece of poo poo for 30 years. Good to see he’s still a complete piece of poo poo.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

My dad hated this loving piece of poo poo for 30 years. Good to see he’s still a complete piece of poo poo.

I've heard of two other acquaintances say the same thing about Pattison. It's like the narduar puff piece didn't accurately portray Jimmy or something.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

So tired of suburban slugs who can’t fathom walking more than 1 block whenever they dare emerge from their car hellscapes.

Why do suburbanites feel entitled to dictate how urban cores operate?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

ARACHTION posted:

So tired of suburban slugs who can’t fathom walking more than 1 block whenever they dare emerge from their car hellscapes.

Gerrymandering

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

half cocaine posted:

I've heard of two other acquaintances say the same thing about Pattison. It's like the narduar puff piece didn't accurately portray Jimmy or something.

It’s amazing the enemies one makes when they build a corporate empire by trying to obliterate all possible street level competition across basically every sector of commerce they decide to muscle into.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s amazing the enemies one makes when they build a corporate empire by trying to obliterate all possible street level competition across basically every sector of commerce they decide to muscle into.

I don't understand how he's escaped scrutiny from the competition bureau.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

half cocaine posted:

I don't understand how he's escaped scrutiny from the competition bureau.

I don't understand how no one has noticed that he is literally Nosferatu.

half cocaine posted:

https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1454025974543261698?s=21

tldr he isn't doing poo poo

FYI, almost all major grocery stores in the lower mainland are owned by Pattison and Weston.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ARACHTION posted:

The absolutely best part of this is that those people very likely never have and never will shop along there, but they still take the war on the car so loving personally.

Every time I mention how poo poo Barrie is for walking and public transit the wasps come out of the woodwork and fire off every buzzword they know about cancel culture or MAH TAXES or other stupid dumb bullshit and at this point Ive just given up. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think a lot of people (who this being Canada, most of them live in the suburbs) have no idea how to drive in complex driving environments (slow down, pay attention, look around). Like they just never learned to drive in a downtown, and they're loving terrified of it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So this is probably of niche interest, but the new minister of Fisheries is Joyce Murray - who is very anti-fish farms

As this is a pet issue of mine, I'm crossing my fingers

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
As someone who knows gently caress all about fish sustainability, I'm genuinely curious to know all the negative aspects of fish farms. Fish is the one thing I'm usually confused about when purchasing as to what's supposed to be more sustainable / healthy / etc.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Fish farms are extremely "dirty". Think of all the waste evacuated by fish, concentrated into a small area and you end up with the equivalent of a aqua pig farm.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PittTheElder posted:

I think a lot of people (who this being Canada, most of them live in the suburbs) have no idea how to drive in complex driving environments (slow down, pay attention, look around). Like they just never learned to drive in a downtown, and they're loving terrified of it.

It's a strange environment to them. Cars are basically intruders in downtown areas. There are going to be tons of people crossing intersections, going across the middle of the street, cyclists around, etc. They hate that they are not the king of the road in downtown.
Driving around there is going to suck, it's going to be slow, and I don't know why anyone does it.

It always blew my mind when suburbanites would drive into downtown Vancouver to watch NHL/CFL games, to see the fireworks in English Bay, etc. and then complain about how parking was so expensive or it took so long to get out afterwards.
Yeah you idiots, at most you should be driving to your nearest transit hub and taking the train into downtown, good god.

I don't live there anymore but they should still ban vehicles from most roads in downtown except for buses, work, and delivery vehicles. It would help though if they could somehow extend Skytrain at least one more stop past Waterfront to Denman or something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

enki42 posted:

As someone who knows gently caress all about fish sustainability, I'm genuinely curious to know all the negative aspects of fish farms. Fish is the one thing I'm usually confused about when purchasing as to what's supposed to be more sustainable / healthy / etc.

I believe most fish farms at the moment are stationary net enclosures floating in the ocean, but close to land for access and probably in some undeveloped cove to not disrupt anything and to protect against storms. They are filled with hundreds of thousands if not millions of fish. The problem is that fish piss and poo poo, or whatever fish do, a lot. Even with a consistent current through the net that many fish in a small area will quickly create an unnatural biohazard that not only infects the fish in the net with some nasty diseases and parasites but affecting marine life in the surrounding area as well. The currents necessary to allow the fish in the farm to even survive long enough to adulthood can carry all the problems a surprising distance.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I believe most fish farms at the moment are stationary net enclosures floating in the ocean, but close to land for access and probably in some undeveloped cove to not disrupt anything and to protect against storms. They are filled with hundreds of thousands if not millions of fish. The problem is that fish piss and poo poo, or whatever fish do, a lot. Even with a consistent current through the net that many fish in a small area will quickly create an unnatural biohazard that not only infects the fish in the net with some nasty diseases and parasites but affecting marine life in the surrounding area as well. The currents necessary to allow the fish in the farm to even survive long enough to adulthood can carry all the problems a surprising distance.
Truth.
There is a small tank based farm on land near Port McNeill, owned by one of the local first nations, but there are countless more in the waters nearby, owned by some Norwegian multinational corp.
Apparently the tank based ones allow for better control and monitoring of conditions, so you can have healthier, less stressed livestock. Buuuuuuut, all that infrastructure and operating the system is more expensive than a floating net enclosure anchored just out of most public view, so it's not the absolute cheapest way of doing things. Of course, you get a lot of pushback from those with an interest in the status quo when you suggest that there might be a less harmful, more sustainable method.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

The fish routinely escape and they’re giant disease and parasite reservoirs that infect wild fish. Sea lice is the big concern that I’ve heard about recently.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah everyone else basically nailed it, and these things are often on fish migration routes so all the pacific salmon smelt gets turbo-hosed by lice, parasites and disease as they try to leave to go to the wider ocean

Also, all the farmed fish are Atlantic salmon, and sometimes (often) they escape and start munching on native fish fry.

It's very very possible to do closed fish farming, on land, which doesn't gently caress up native marine life but it's more expensive and trickier to do sooooo

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Salmon are carnivorous so you get factory fleets in other parts of the world sweeping the seas clean to churn out:

so we can have cheap supermarket sushi.

We'd all be eating farmed catfish or something if we gave a poo poo about sustainability.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Alctel posted:

It's very very possible to do closed fish farming, on land, which doesn't gently caress up native marine life but it's more expensive and trickier to do sooooo

There was a show on PBS(?) a few years back that went over this. The land based ones were a project that involved fisheries and scientists from like 8 different countries, including places like Canada and Norway, that managed to come up with a sustainable and clean fish source. But they were super expensive to start up and apparently no one has the political or economic willpower to go any further with the idea.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So what's the problem, the poop gets swept away by the Gulf Stream to Ireland and over to China in the Pacific or that garbage patch or whatever and then you unplug the Mariana Trench and it drains into the Earth's core.

It serves those places right for sending us their pollution and garbage, like Rex Murphy.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Canadaland had a pretty good podcast episode related to fish farms:

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/364-fake-news-from-fish-farms/

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wait, does that mean we are sending Rex Murphy to the bottom of the Mariana Trench with all the fish poop? Is there room for Conrad Black? :v:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

Wait, does that mean we are sending Rex Murphy to the bottom of the Mariana Trench with all the fish poop? Is there room for Conrad Black? :v:
If only.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

large hands posted:

Salmon are carnivorous so you get factory fleets in other parts of the world sweeping the seas clean to churn out:

so we can have cheap supermarket sushi.

We'd all be eating farmed catfish or something if we gave a poo poo about sustainability.

Yeah trolling the ocean to feed fish guts to fish farms. If we really gave a poo poo about sustainability (to say nothing of the animals themselves) we'd just be eating plants.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Furnaceface posted:

Excuse me

That's "Convicted Felon Conrad Black" to you

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

No one got my 2 Michaels costume smdh…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DrBox posted:

Yeah trolling the ocean to feed fish guts to fish farms. If we really gave a poo poo about sustainability (to say nothing of the animals themselves) we'd just be eating plants.
And probably more insects