Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vashro posted:

wow it's Mary's lack of original sin that was immaculate? I thought it immaculate because she was a virgin and got pregnat

so the definition of immaculate is what I cant believe I just figured out

Yeah, it's specifically a catholic doctrine (not even official until the 1800s either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jestery posted:

The immaculate conception resulted in Mary's birth, not Jesús's

:psypop:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Starting to feel like Mary is just somebody's OC.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

exquisite tea posted:

Starting to feel like Mary is just somebody's OC.

It's where we get the overly competent "Mary Sue" from.

It's not :v:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think someone just had trouble reconciling "Jesus was born of woman" and "women are icky gross sinful whores" in their mind and came up with this solution.

I don't really get it either.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RoboRodent posted:

I think someone just had trouble reconciling "Jesus was born of woman" and "women are icky gross sinful whores" in their mind and came up with this solution.

I don't really get it either.

Specifically, the Catholic church went all-in on Saint Augustine's doctrine of Original Sin where we're all born with an already tainted nature that we inherited ultimately from Adam and Eve. That is, not just that we're sinners, but we explicitly bear their sin as well. Since Jesus needs to be without sin, Immaculate Conception lets Mary have an untainted nature and therefore no original sin for Christ to inherit.

IC is actually a pretty controversial doctrine and while you do have people who believe it personally in other denominations, I think maybe the Ethiopian Orthodox church is the only other one that holds it officially. You know the whole idea about papal infallibility? It doesn't apply to everything the Pope says, just statements that are invoked ex cathedra. In the history of the church that's only happened twice*: once about Immaculate conception, and once about the Assumption of Mary (Jesus physically took her to heaven a la Elijah)

*This is actually hotly debated since no one agrees exactly what falls under ex cathedra. Some people argue that it happens every time someone is canonized. It's pretty much universally agreed upon that those two statements about Mary count, but no one agrees on anything else.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

St.Augustine was an early pioneer of fan fiction.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Augustine was a weird loving dude. We read some of Confessions (I think?) in my Latin class and there was a big chunk where he wrote about going to a chariot race and being disgusted at all the unwashed sheeple who haven't seen the light of God.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember the part where a teenage Augustine and his friends stole some from fruit from a tree and he later felt ashamed over how gay that was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I remember the part where a teenage Augustine and his friends stole some from fruit from a tree and he later felt ashamed over how gay that was.

Those drat peaches live in my head rent free. I think about them all the drat time.

packetmantis posted:

Augustine was a weird loving dude. We read some of Confessions (I think?) in my Latin class and there was a big chunk where he wrote about going to a chariot race and being disgusted at all the unwashed sheeple who haven't seen the light of God.

It was a gladiator fight, and that wasn't what he said at all. He was talking about how despite it being immoral he still got caught up in he excitement of the crowd.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Big mood

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
drat it I knew I was misremembering but I decided to :justpost: :negative:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

packetmantis posted:

Augustine talks a little about intersex people, and he’s like “I don’t fully understand this, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt and treat them as male, because being male is clearly superior”.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Augustine talks a little about intersex people, and he’s like “I don’t fully understand this, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt and treat them as male, because being male is clearly superior”.

:allears: This is funny in an "almost there dude!" sort of way.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

christmas boots posted:

Specifically, the Catholic church went all-in on Saint Augustine's doctrine of Original Sin where we're all born with an already tainted nature that we inherited ultimately from Adam and Eve. That is, not just that we're sinners, but we explicitly bear their sin as well. Since Jesus needs to be without sin, Immaculate Conception lets Mary have an untainted nature and therefore no original sin for Christ to inherit.

IC is actually a pretty controversial doctrine and while you do have people who believe it personally in other denominations, I think maybe the Ethiopian Orthodox church is the only other one that holds it officially. You know the whole idea about papal infallibility? It doesn't apply to everything the Pope says, just statements that are invoked ex cathedra. In the history of the church that's only happened twice*: once about Immaculate conception, and once about the Assumption of Mary (Jesus physically took her to heaven a la Elijah)

*This is actually hotly debated since no one agrees exactly what falls under ex cathedra. Some people argue that it happens every time someone is canonized. It's pretty much universally agreed upon that those two statements about Mary count, but no one agrees on anything else.

This is an interesting post, I learned something new today. Thanks!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I love the concept of The Assumption - dying Mary just Superman-ing into the stratosphere while everyone goes wtf

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

packetmantis posted:

:allears: This is funny in an "almost there dude!" sort of way.

A lot of the world’s problems can be explained by the way his train of thought works. “I don’t know” is sufficient, dude. Maybe add something like “maybe one day someone smarter than me will figure it out”.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The Mighty Moltres posted:

This is an interesting post, I learned something new today. Thanks!

Some of that info was new to me as well until I was double checking some of my facts for that post!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Mongo in Blazing Saddles is Webster's dad

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Mongo in Blazing Saddles is Webster's dad

Also he was actually married to the woman who played Webster's mom on that show. That's some pretty extreme Stanislavski method acting poo poo but the show rated well so I can't fault them.

They were a married couple who produced the show through their production company. In a weird mirror of the show's plot they'd originally planned on doing a wacky married oddcouple show with no kid, then the station signed Emmanuel Lewis and shopped around for a show they could slot him into and Karras & Clark jumped at the chance, then Lewis' character pretty much became the central focus of the show and the station decided to even name the show after him, against the wishes of Karras & Clark

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was also a Hall of Fame NFL player.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've never seen the film and know nothing about it, so I could be wrong, but I think I've just discovered that the Bergman film is
The Seventh
not
The Seventh

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Henchman of Santa posted:

He was also a Hall of Fame NFL player.

His character in Webster was also an ex-NFL player, the dude really went to some extreme lengths in preparing for that role

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lady Disdain posted:

I've never seen the film and know nothing about it, so I could be wrong, but I think I've just discovered that the Bergman film is
The Seventh
not
The Seventh

It's like seven samurai but for the environment

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Jestery posted:

It's like seven samurai but for the environment

Nature hires seven fur seals to protect it from robbers ?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Lady Disdain posted:

Rubbers, but close

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Thirteenth Whale

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
47 Dolphin

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Lady Disdain posted:

Well, six seals. One of them turns out to be a sea lion, and the others rib him about it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I would absolutely love to watch that film :3:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Courtney Barnett hasn't actually been around for that long and has only released 2 solo albums despite me hearing her songs everywhere.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm pretty sure she put out her third LP a couple months back, and she had a few EPs before that that got a ton of attention.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oregon + Idaho = Oreida, aka the cheapo potato products company.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Trabant posted:

Oregon + Idaho = Oreida, aka the cheapo potato products company.
Their original logo made that a lot more obvious:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Lady Disdain posted:

I would absolutely love to watch that film :3:

It will be made by Dreamworks, all of the seals will be voiced by James Corden with the sealion being Kevin Hart.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jestery posted:

The immaculate conception resulted in Mary's birth, not Jesús's

My dad was almost a priest. He quit the Novitiate because he wanted kids. He always taught me that it wasn't a "virgin birth" it was that Mary was without sin and a pure woman. That doesn't mean she didn't have sex. It just meant that she was born without sin. The stuff about Jesus being born without Joseph is speculative and pretty darn poorly translated. Also, people were unclear as to how conception worked. Miraculous births were pretty common back then due to lack of understanding.

Jesus is Jeshua Ben Joseph after all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mostlygray posted:

My dad was almost a priest. He quit the Novitiate because he wanted kids. He always taught me that it wasn't a "virgin birth" it was that Mary was without sin and a pure woman. That doesn't mean she didn't have sex. It just meant that she was born without sin. The stuff about Jesus being born without Joseph is speculative and pretty darn poorly translated. Also, people were unclear as to how conception worked. Miraculous births were pretty common back then due to lack of understanding.

Jesus is Jeshua Ben Joseph after all.

It's funny that Latin cultures name their first born Jesus (hey zeus) and Anglos do Joshua, which means the same thing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mostlygray posted:

The stuff about Jesus being born without Joseph is speculative and pretty darn poorly translated.

quote:

So the Biblical scholars mis-translated the Hebrew word for "young woman" into the Greek word for "virgin," which was a pretty easy mistake to make, since there is only a subtle difference in the spelling. But back then it was the "virgin" that caught people's attention. It's not every day a virgin conceives and bears a son. So you keep that for a couple of hundred years, and the next thing you know, you have the Holy Catholic church.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I have seen Snatch more times than is imaginable.

That is a line from Benicio del Toro in the elevator posing as a mensch.

And it never fails to land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mostlygray posted:

He quit the Novitiate because he wanted kids.

Usually it's the other way around