Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having not watched the video, everytime I read Haze in here I keep flinching and remembering this game that I never played.

And scratching my head like 'Wait, it was really racist too? How did I never hear anything about that'

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember when Jamie Oliver was huge and was doing that poo poo and the only thing I took away from it was he kept getting fatter as it went on.

I felt like I was missing something when I first noticed it. I mean, McDonalds and Wendy's isn't healthy but I already knew that and if the chicken nuggets are made out of pink slime initially they sure do a good enough job making it look more like chicken than when it started out. Yeah it doesn't look good at first but neither does salmon before you fry it and make salmon croquettes as someone who doesn't eat tuna salad so I dunno why it was such a big deal. Granted I was like 16 or something when that first showed up if I had to guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No one seems to talk about Haze at all. I had no idea it was apparently racist, so I hope someone provides details.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did telephone just somehow happen in the course of 2 posts

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
"Haha every time you guys said Haze I got confused and thought you meant the video game"
"Oh poo poo you meant the video game?"

A magical series of posts.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

edogawa rando posted:

No one seems to talk about Haze at all. I had no idea it was apparently racist, so I hope someone provides details.

I don't know about racist since it's been far too long since I played it, but it does pull the "actually the resistance to the fascist empire are secretly bad guys " move at the end of the game. So it has some issues.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was in UK almost a decade ago when Jamie Oliver did that whole chicken nuggets with British kids (not the viral video), and it hit harder then because that happened around the time of the iceland (the frozen food chain) fiasco where they discovered beef burgers contained horse meat. It was also part of a series that channel 4 was doing where they showed frozen chicken drumsticks injected with saline water and british chocolates were made with palm oil (a huge rhetoric they harped on was that the plantations murder orangutans).

To be fair food production knowledge is not as widespread now compared to the time, I didn't know he had such a stick up his rear end over nuggets for that long lol

Also that haze video is a must watch, that sex worker scene is somehow the least comfortable thing out of all the nonsensical edge lord poo poo in the game

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also that haze video is a must watch, that sex worker scene is somehow the least comfortable thing out of all the nonsensical edge lord poo poo in the game

"This Scene is Embarrassing Enough to Warrant a Chapter"

Was it ever.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Fun fact, the voice actor for Haze, the edgelord trying to get revenge for something bad that happened to his sister, eventually wound up an anime va. His first big role was in Yugioh, where he played ... an edgelord trying to get revenge for something bad that happened to his sister. Said edgelord infamously carpet bombs a child, which is totally a thing Haze would do.

That's a big child if he needed more than one bomb

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i couldn't believe when he said on the stream that he put a reference to Anonymous Agony in his Pathologic review from 3 years ago and then i remembered noticing it once and thinking "why did an anime boy faintly flash on screen when he said that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeK36g92zjo&t=410s

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

RareAcumen posted:

Having not watched the video, everytime I read Haze in here I keep flinching and remembering this game that I never played.

:lol: :same: Except I played it and I'm the only person in the world who thinks its actually pretty good lol

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I never played it but I enjoy the chili con comrades lp of it

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I remember this game being hyped up and down as the PS3 answer to Halo and then it came out and was... okay. Never played it cause I'm not into console FPS games but it was pretty funny how fast the hype around it died.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

I Before E posted:

If I have the right YGO show in mind (since there's seven of them now). Then that edgy guy was still an infinitely more likeable and better written character than Haze is supposed to be.
(Plus kids get bombed all the time in YGO. Holograms are scary)

That voice actor was probably also one of the only good ones in the dub, so I am glad to see he found other work.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Remember when Three Arrows did a video about the Nisour Square massacre and then Donald Trump pardoned the murderers he almost certainly did it because Fox News's Pete Hegseth kept humping that podcast about them being innocent that Dan brings up in that video. What a cool and wonderful world we live in.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Archer666 posted:

I remember this game being hyped up and down as the PS3 answer to Halo and then it came out and was... okay. Never played it cause I'm not into console FPS games but it was pretty funny how fast the hype around it died.

I guess Breaking Benjamin was a bigger get than Korn.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Scorched Spitz posted:

I guess Breaking Benjamin was a bigger get than Korn.

Yeah, Jonathan Davis' words kept coming to me all throughout the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHjvUjlF1kE

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

:lol: :same: Except I played it and I'm the only person in the world who thinks its actually pretty good lol

Did you think it was The poo poo? Did you wanna make a track that hit up that same kind of rush the game did?

Jeff Gerstmann streamed a bunch of it one time, and it looked... pretty mediocre. It had the obvious twist that you start off being the bad guys all hyped up on combat drugs, but the level design was pretty dang boring and repetitive, like a lot of shooters that don't fully know what to do with themselves.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Grondoth posted:

Did you think it was The poo poo? Did you wanna make a track that hit up that same kind of rush the game did?

Jeff Gerstmann streamed a bunch of it one time, and it looked... pretty mediocre. It had the obvious twist that you start off being the bad guys all hyped up on combat drugs, but the level design was pretty dang boring and repetitive, like a lot of shooters that don't fully know what to do with themselves.

BOOSH

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ive been thinking about what haze with his smug expression reminded me of and suddenly realized it's yuri from shadow hearts and now its all i can see

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Skippy McPants posted:

"This Scene is Embarrassing Enough to Warrant a Chapter"

Was it ever.

"I paid you money, I get to do whatever I want and will greatly upset you/violate your consent while we are together. But I'm the good guy because what you are doing is wrong and I can hand you a lot of money."

Really, the whole money thing was also a weird undercurrent to the game. It was like a whole other subset of the teenage dirtbag power fantasy about having unlimited money and any time you need to spend it you can give huge tips (which will really, really impress the person getting the tip).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

So we've got a protagonist who...

1.) Is a troubled kid with few friends
2.) Has a close relationship with his younger sister
3.) Wants to protect/shield children from being corrupted by the world
4.) Takes issue with kids, and his sister in particular, swearing
5.) Hires a prostitute and just ends up sitting around talking to her

...What the gently caress is with these types and Catcher in the Rye?

I think it speaks somewhat to the point that Holden Caulfield is still an eerily accurate portrait of the psyche of a disaffected teen boy from a moderately affluent American family, who is coping (poorly) with trauma that his family and society expect him to silently suffer through. The only real difference here is that this iteration is being run through the more modern filter of someone whose mind cracked open and could finally see beyond the veil after playing the Shadow the Hedgehog game.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Grondoth posted:

It's been a few years since I last replayed it (I think I last played it in 2016?) but I remember loving the weapons. The design of them was very sleek and cool and felt very punchy and satisfying to use. (Mantels assault rifle with its yellow honeycomb scope and the rebel's shotgun were my favs) And as obvious as the inevitable twist was, the whole "Oh you've been doing war crimes this whole time and didn't even notice because of nectar and you never would have realized it if that guy didn't sabotage your nectar administrator device thing" was genuinely pretty creepy imo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Holy poo poo that Mandalore video.

I'm cringing myself inside out 3 times over.

I knew... SO MANY guys exactly in the same mindset as Haze. Massively insecure and aimlessly misanthropic despite a relatively comfy life, obsessive with protecting "innocence", worrying detailed and sadistic plans for torturing and murdering wrongdoers (whether they deserved it or not, would it shock you their main targets of ire turned from pedos to Feminism around the time of GamerGate?).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

KingKalamari posted:

So we've got a protagonist who...

1.) Is a troubled kid with few friends
2.) Has a close relationship with his younger sister
3.) Wants to protect/shield children from being corrupted by the world
4.) Takes issue with kids, and his sister in particular, swearing
5.) Hires a prostitute and just ends up sitting around talking to her

...What the gently caress is with these types and Catcher in the Rye?

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think it speaks somewhat to the point that Holden Caulfield is still an eerily accurate portrait of the psyche of a disaffected teen boy from a moderately affluent American family, who is coping (poorly) with trauma that his family and society expect him to silently suffer through. The only real difference here is that this iteration is being run through the more modern filter of someone whose mind cracked open and could finally see beyond the veil after playing the Shadow the Hedgehog game.

I mean, Catcher in the Rye is pretty much about the proto-incel - he's angry at the system and the haves, not for being wrong, but because he's not a beneficiary of it. He spends the whole book pissed off at the world, but the moment Holden had a chance to be part of the problem he tried to jump aboard.

CitR is one of those books that even one year of growing up can mean the difference with identifying with him or despising him.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I was in UK almost a decade ago when Jamie Oliver did that whole chicken nuggets with British kids (not the viral video), and it hit harder then because that happened around the time of the iceland (the frozen food chain) fiasco where they discovered beef burgers contained horse meat. It was also part of a series that channel 4 was doing where they showed frozen chicken drumsticks injected with saline water and british chocolates were made with palm oil (a huge rhetoric they harped on was that the plantations murder orangutans).

To be fair food production knowledge is not as widespread now compared to the time, I didn't know he had such a stick up his rear end over nuggets for that long lol

There's a lot more issues with palm oil, but like all questions of industry and globalization, it's a complicated topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgcfgTTuku0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DeafNote posted:

About Mandalore's game
How does it manage to make me laugh while cringe every other moment?
The line delivery is part of it, but man... those poor voice actors

its because its peek 90s though mid 00s high school edge lord poo poo played straight.

Jamie Faith posted:

nah, i like it too or at least i like the idea of it. with better writting and gameplay and thought out concepts. it could have been a good spec ops the line type game. but they drop the twist on the back of the box and dont do enough with the necter. they also should have made some of the squad mates sorta likable. the issue is is just never goes anywhere. id love to see some dev like machine games or arkane or respawn or someone throw a shot at something like that.

the trailers suffer from halo syndrom where they flesh out the world more then the games do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHmIxwwtuC8

i am more sad that the rebel path didnt play around more with the necter mechanics. i mean they do, but the world maps arnt built for it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 30, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
That the game was released only ~2 years ago is mind-boggling - it feels like it's from 2 decades.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's like one of those Pokemon fangames where they desperately try to make the kids game adult by cramming in as many swears as possible, have the protagonist be needlessly antagonistic to every NPC and handle incredibly serious subjects with the grace of a 2000's Newgrounds flash, but it's not and it's on sale on Steam.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/anonymous-agony#/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Megan is Missing: the Game, for when Strangeland is too tasteful.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

That the game was released only ~2 years ago is mind-boggling - it feels like it's from 2 decades.

Considering the game has VA that actually work now and you can see final art assets in a RPGmaker.net forum post in 2012, I'm pretty sure it was written and made at least a decade ago but only came out on steam recently.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The part about jackets in Tim Rogers review had me rolling how doesnt he get a stroke writing and editing those

"William Gibson's endorsed japanese brand of imitated bomber jacket in black that brand-allergic Pattern Recognition protagonist wears despite the fact that USARF never had them in black because USARF never factually employed Darth Vader"

also I will never get tired of Doom soundbites

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Grondoth posted:

Considering the game has VA that actually work now and you can see final art assets in a RPGmaker.net forum post in 2012, I'm pretty sure it was written and made at least a decade ago but only came out on steam recently.

Yeah Mandalore even referenced Haze (the character) more than 3 years ago...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The jacket and chair bit in Option #6 of Tim Rogers's video was so loving boring. Just 45 minutes of tedious wank.

Was the last thing of the review I watched and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kim Justice just put out an hour long vid on Sim City!

"The Story of SimCity - How Will Wright Created a Phenomenon"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxC28G2TOr8&ab_channel=KimJustice

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The jacket and chair bit in Option #6 of Tim Rogers's video was so loving boring. Just 45 minutes of tedious wank.

Was the last thing of the review I watched and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Hah that was the part that I actually liked most and remember best, it was so left field and it tied back really nicely with his main point in that segment I thought. Helps that I too have been looking at dumb office chair poo poo recently.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

just in time for halloween, heres some horror themed videos i enjoyed this week

"Killer Queens & Trans Terrors | Video Essay"
by Louder Lens/Sylvia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-9Nfjupy4

"Landlords, Class Disparity & The People Under the Stairs"
by Yhara Zayd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9B0xs3lOA

"Rac(ism) & Horror | Khadija Mbowe"
by Khadija Mbowe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of97EFcgtho

"Capcom's Forgotten Horror Masterpiece"
by eurothug4000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfsHzUBZLhQ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/impmurderpros/status/1454719867676860417. First part of the season final hits today.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I Before E posted:

They are an American child.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

SteelMentor posted:

Yeah that Screenwipe bit's been a tad bit undermined by Brooker's hard centrist lib turn in recent years.

Didn't know that. Guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp8fGJtM47k

Ross covered my white whale game from my childhood! I remember this tome of ~10 cds that had to be inserted one by one. I totally forgot the game's name until now!