Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Pollyanna posted:

Why is it that unison voices + detune works so well, anyway?

Why have one trumpet in your orchestra when you can have eight!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve been listening to Annie Lennox all night while making deliveries.

I hereby challenge you to record a cover of the eternal diamond-encrusted platinum hit, Walking On Broken Glass.

You have seven days. You can make it sound however you want. You can make it an ambient track. It just has to be recognizably Walking On Broken Glass. You are also free to ignore this challenge.

This song is 4 minutes long. That is a lot of fuckin' music :negative:

The first problem I'm running into is with picking the right instruments for the track. I could just sketch the entire track out with the shittiest MIDI instruments I can find, but then it'll sound like total crap. I have a particular idea in mind, using a VGM I can use steal patches from, but not every instrument in the VGM maps cleanly to one in the song.

Is there like, a guide to picking instruments and patches that work well together, and work well for replacing a particular :airquote:real-world:airquote: instrument? I'm having trouble finding a good equivalent for the string hits and singer's voice, in particular, and figuring out what makes certain sounds like those would help immensely in finding a match.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

What’s the go-to way to share a sample on here? Make a SoundCloud? YouTube?

Uh, yes? I've had an easy time using either of those. And I think we all could share our little beeps and boops and make this thread one that will be legendary even in hell. Because of those damned beeps and boops.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JamesKPolk posted:

same thing/concept, introducing phase cancellation in the oscillator. Like most unison algs are stacking slightly detuned oscs. Unison where all the oscs are exactly the same just sounds like one big osc

Isn't phase cancellation a bad thing, since it leads to a sound being weakened or canceled out by another? That said, I definitely understand why you would want to avoid just one big oscillator.

dexefiend posted:

Why have one trumpet in your orchestra when you can have eight!?

:hmmyes: This makes sense.

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the harmonics associated with a particular patch. Tried watching a triangle wave's harmonics as it gets more and more detuned over time, with three voices, and I can see that:

1. A wider harmonic range is covered as you increase the detune and number of voices
2. The power of each harmonic changes over time, so the sound is more harmonically dynamic.

Does that make sense?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, I opened the box for the DIY synth, the Macchiato. I only assume the main reason people don't talk about it like they do the NTS-1 here is because the Macchiato makes sound with an Arduino and not hardware. I'm kinda hoping to dash it together this weekend. We're having a tropical depression or something and so I can't sell my plastic pianos at the flea market.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

What’s the go-to way to share a sample on here? Make a SoundCloud? YouTube?

Youtube does audio compression so its not the perfect ideal place to host music, if you care about that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reface DXs are going for $650 on Reverb :shittypop:

I've decided that I want hardware just to have hardware. I guess the GAS is setting in.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 29, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Isn't phase cancellation a bad thing, since it leads to a sound being weakened or canceled out by another? That said, I definitely understand why you would want to avoid just one big oscillator.

In sound repro sure. Make sure your speakers are lined up!

In synthesis thats your judement to make. What you describe in point 2 below:

Pollyanna posted:

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the harmonics associated with a particular patch. Tried watching a triangle wave's harmonics as it gets more and more detuned over time, with three voices, and I can see that:

1. A wider harmonic range is covered as you increase the detune and number of voices
2. The power of each harmonic changes over time, so the sound is more harmonically dynamic.

thats why that happens - obviously not a huge loss! But the upper harmonic "movement" is what makes the sound interesting to hear. You don't get full cancellation unless you like reverse the phase of one of the oscillators, 3 cents or so is just gonna make it a lil wavy. And yeah not a constant amplitude, but thats fine for most things (and when its not, i.e. sub bass or something, thats usually when its less typical to use more than 1 oscillator)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

phase cancellation is bad if you don’t want it to occur but it’s also the basis of a lot of sounds. modern drum and bass is almost entirely built on the foundation of two saw waves rhythmically cancelling each other out

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Pollyanna posted:

Reface DXs are going for $650 on Reverb :shittypop:

I've decided that I want hardware just to have hardware. I guess the GAS is setting in.

No they aren’t. They’re going for about $300

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A MIRACLE posted:

No they aren’t. They’re going for about $300

:confused: I must’ve hosed up my search, then. Lemme take another look.

JamesKPolk posted:

In sound repro sure. Make sure your speakers are lined up!

In synthesis thats your judement to make. What you describe in point 2 below:

thats why that happens - obviously not a huge loss! But the upper harmonic "movement" is what makes the sound interesting to hear. You don't get full cancellation unless you like reverse the phase of one of the oscillators, 3 cents or so is just gonna make it a lil wavy. And yeah not a constant amplitude, but thats fine for most things (and when its not, i.e. sub bass or something, thats usually when its less typical to use more than 1 oscillator)

:science: Aha, got it! In general it seems like successful patches are dynamic in some way, as we see with unison detune, filter envelopes attached to amp envelopes, LFOs, and effects like chorus and reverb. That’ll be good to keep in mind…

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Pollyanna posted:

:confused: I must’ve hosed up my search, then. Lemme take another look.

reverb has a historical transactions view, they show you what the real sales went for by date. its just one guy asking for 650 for his

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I was just about to say -- I bought mine for 450 Canadian back when COVID HOBBY PRICES were exploding.

They're a great buy for 300-ish. Literally the only knock on the DX is the menu diving to edit sounds but that was the case with the original DX too so like.. I'll suck it up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I got mine for $260 shipped from MF and it’s probably the best value of any synth gear I’ve owned. It’s such a great synth through every detail. I’ve actually been neglecting it a lot since getting my Grandmother though. Maybe it’s time to bust it out. Honestly I’ve been in a huge depressive musical slump for months so trying something different can’t hurt.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also I realized that you can disconnect the keyboard from the sound generator on the DX, set the midi transmit and receive channels properly and use the keyboard as an independent multi-channel controller, while the sound generator can respond to input MIDI from an external sequencer.

Literally the reason I bought the oxygen. To control my samplers and other MIDI gear on multiple channels from one keyboard.

Guess I should have read the instructions more carefully. I mean the Oxygen was only $40 so not a bad buy either way but still...

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Tried using my old Soundcloud acct again for the first time in years. Here are some standard bleeps and bloops from a 32 Tonic, through a tc electronic nova delay, into REAPER where I was using a filter called Crayon. Pretty standard stuff. Maybe some good loops in there somewhere. I'm doing this to see how easy it is for me, yep, it's easy.

ED: Oh, here:

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 29, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay. I just realized, that YPR 30 is a business trombone. I'll try to get a pic of it up sometime, though it's not much to look at. Or maybe it's just styled after better business trombones that came before. I don't know.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Having too easy a time getting lost in this.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 29, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

This song is 4 minutes long. That is a lot of fuckin' music :negative:

The first problem I'm running into is with picking the right instruments for the track. I could just sketch the entire track out with the shittiest MIDI instruments I can find, but then it'll sound like total crap. I have a particular idea in mind, using a VGM I can use steal patches from, but not every instrument in the VGM maps cleanly to one in the song.

Is there like, a guide to picking instruments and patches that work well together, and work well for replacing a particular :airquote:real-world:airquote: instrument? I'm having trouble finding a good equivalent for the string hits and singer's voice, in particular, and figuring out what makes certain sounds like those would help immensely in finding a match.

I wasn’t clear enough when I said you can make it ambient, etc.

You can change or modify the structure as you see fit. It just has to be recognizably *of* that song.

But if you wanna make like a sound collage or whatever that’s fine, as long as it slaps

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

petit choux posted:

Having too easy a time getting lost in this.

Hell yeah. I just got my 2nd PO, these things are too much fun.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

Present them

Well here's a few. Some guy with tattoos all over him bought up a lot of my best old stuff the other weekend but I'm gradually accumulating more again.

Here, of the cheap plastic keyboards I sell, I'm pretty fond of this one. Lots of voices, pitch bend, mod, good speakers.

I'm very partial to the PSR 37, 38, 47 and 48, they all really look goofy. They all could do one thing well and that was combine two voices and they do it well and you get some real cool sounds. And as it says on the box, that's a lot of combos.

This is the kind of stuff Casio is up to nowadays with their consumer stuff. Actually comes with some modern sounds and beats and stuff.

And this is right out of graphic design school in the 80s. On a 90s keyboard.

And I already showed you my synth cat with the CT-310.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I saw my chance and I took it.

:slick:

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wasn’t clear enough when I said you can make it ambient, etc.

You can change or modify the structure as you see fit. It just has to be recognizably *of* that song.

Well the instruments used are pretty important to the overall character of the song, but fair enough - maybe I’m limiting myself too much. I was gonna just replicate it in a different soundfont, but there’s gotta be another way to put a spin on it.

[/quote]
But if you wanna make like a sound collage or whatever that’s fine, as long as it slaps
[/quote]

no promises on that last part :v:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Pollyanna posted:

:slick:

Yes, give into the GAS

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Noice. Excellent choice

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://youtu.be/yFSWTgAYxNo

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I step on rear end.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Synthcat:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Oh heck yes, I’m a fan. Give us a rundown when you’ve had a chance to put it through its paces!

Apropos of nothing, is there a sound engineering thread here somewhere or where would I post a cool sound or sample that a song uses and brainstorm how it was created? If that’s here I’m about to start dumping so many questions on you all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^ I am having fun! :dogcited:

This is a very silly machine.

https://youtu.be/aPz0LHPdtjw

(cameo by this synthcat at the very end:)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Oh heck yes, I’m a fan. Give us a rundown when you’ve had a chance to put it through its paces!

Apropos of nothing, is there a sound engineering thread here somewhere or where would I post a cool sound or sample that a song uses and brainstorm how it was created? If that’s here I’m about to start dumping so many questions on you all.

How about here.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

^^ I am having fun! :dogcited:

This is a very silly machine.

https://youtu.be/aPz0LHPdtjw

(cameo by this synthcat at the very end:)

Yeah, that looks like a fun little machine. And is that also your AV cat?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My friend got an Otamatone and it’s making low quiet noises sometimes while just sitting on his desk.

Imagine getting the one haunted Otamatone lmao.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

petit choux posted:

Yeah, that looks like a fun little machine. And is that also your AV cat?

Yep! He’s my baby. :3:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oh hey, what the heck, here's some of my bleep bloops too.
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/29-oct-jam
If you listen to the other stuff on there, the Thanksgiving hymn was from when I learned that I would have to stay on past the end of my last 2 week shift. Not my usual tone, but the first time I've used vocals in any way.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Oh hey, what the heck, here's some of my bleep bloops too.
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/29-oct-jam
If you listen to the other stuff on there, the Thanksgiving hymn was from when I learned that I would have to stay on past the end of my last 2 week shift. Not my usual tone, but the first time I've used vocals in any way.

Well you woke up my bass. And now I have to listen to the Thanksgiving hymn. Okay, you wasn't goin' home.

Thank you for the beeps, will post some more sometime soon.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Thank you for the beeps, will post some more sometime soon.
:cheers:

The fun for me lately has been using grids and a Turing machine to make the beat and melody. I rig it up, turn it loose, and then see how I can corral and wrangle the sounds. Every time, it's something new and unexpected.
Less intentionally playing the instrument, more like a living thing that I try to hold onto and nudge in different directions.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 30, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

I rig it up, turn it loose, and then see how I can corral and wrangle the sounds. Every time, it's something new and unexpected.
Less intentionally playing the instrument, more like a living thing that I try to hold onto and nudge in different directions.

Talkin' 'bout my PENIS!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:allears: This fuckin machine.

https://voca.ro/1hBa6QTVyTDE

I have no professional recording equipment so you get lovely unprocessed line-in from my PC's front panel.

Also I swear I will make that Annie Lennox cover.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Talkin' 'bout my PENIS!

Synth sounds are way thicker and harder.
Keeps going longer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

B33rChiller posted:

Synth sounds are way thicker and harder.
Keeps going longer too.

:clint: They call me...

... the microKORG. :negative: