Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

DoctorWhat posted:

Use storm missiles. He'll go down in under two minutes.

That's what I had been trying before I thought maybe he was just invulnerable to them.
EDIT got past that phase and died on the next. He has way too much health, my hands were literally cramped and tired.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

That was the only part I looked up in my first playthrough. I still contend that flashing white when he's got an energy shield is a terrible way to show damage. I couldn't tell if I was doing any damage or not. I don't need a health bar, but at least make him get slightly redder or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Well not if you're David Jaffe lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pop-cc9kmY

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
it looks that way if you've already beaten the game, but if you stray just a little off the path because you remembered something an hour ago you could pick up like a missile tank then it takes forever to remember where you're supposed to be at next because the map is really not that easy to use as most other metroid/castlevania types.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IIRC this also showed that the Experiment is regaining health when it latches it’s arms on the walls, so you should bring out the storm missiles as quick as possible.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Man that sucks, for some reason I had a hard time dealing with that phase between trying to aim at him while he's aiming at me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMzCjDOMEs

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i def got lost in metroid dread.

i don't even hold it against the game. it was fun exploring while i flailed around trying to find every single hidden room and side-path.

i think this game hit a really good difficulty level in general. not mindlessly easy, but failure didn't seem unfair either. it only took me a few tries to figure out how to beat each boss, and then a bunch more tries to execute that plan and beat the boss. game of year 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q0Lxj6kN9U

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Trillhouse posted:

i don't even hold it against the game. it was fun exploring while i flailed around trying to find every single hidden room and side-path.

i think this game hit a really good difficulty level in general. not mindlessly easy, but failure didn't seem unfair either. it only took me a few tries to figure out how to beat each boss, and then a bunch more tries to execute that plan and beat the boss. game of year 2021

I think the key is that the chokepoints where something truly challenging happens also have checkpoints that drop you 5-10 seconds away form the Challenging Thing so you can keep going until you figure it out

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I need to hurry up and beat this game so I can go back and read what everyone's talking about.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Trillhouse posted:

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think the key is that the chokepoints where something truly challenging happens also have checkpoints that drop you 5-10 seconds away form the Challenging Thing so you can keep going until you figure it out
Both really good points, there were some bosses that I was so defeated I had to put the game down but a couple minutes later I picked it back up because dying is barely an inconvenience since it sets your right outside of the room you died in which makes the frustrating fights less punishing because you're not losing any progress by dying to them

It was kind of a bummer that if you didn't know a boss fight was coming up, sometimes you were trapped at a checkpoint because the room locks behind you in some way so you cant go back to farm items

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Tampa Bae posted:

It was kind of a bummer that if you didn't know a boss fight was coming up, sometimes you were trapped at a checkpoint because the room locks behind you in some way so you cant go back to farm items

That's definitely a gamefeel bummer, but in terms of actual impact on the gameplay, going back to farm items won't actually help you defeat a boss you're having trouble with nearly as much as it does in past Metroids. A few Missile Tank+'s could make a difference in the early game, but midway through the game you get to the point where you have plenty of ammunition as long as you take advantage of chances during each boss fight to drop pickups. Boss attacks, meanwhile, deal so much damage that an Energy Tank will really only let you soak about one or two more hits, and there are fewer of them in total to find, so what really matters isn't how long you can tank, but how long you can dodge boss attacks before dropping enough pickups to recover any damage you took.

It's a very different feel from past Metroid games, minimizing instead of maximizing the impact of item collection on boss fights. I think it works and I'm very happy with Dread, but it's definitely a design shakeup.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I Am Just a Box posted:

That's definitely a gamefeel bummer, but in terms of actual impact on the gameplay, going back to farm items won't actually help you defeat a boss you're having trouble with nearly as much as it does in past Metroids. A few Missile Tank+'s could make a difference in the early game, but midway through the game you get to the point where you have plenty of ammunition as long as you take advantage of chances during each boss fight to drop pickups. Boss attacks, meanwhile, deal so much damage that an Energy Tank will really only let you soak about one or two more hits, and there are fewer of them in total to find, so what really matters isn't how long you can tank, but how long you can dodge boss attacks before dropping enough pickups to recover any damage you took.

It's a very different feel from past Metroid games, minimizing instead of maximizing the impact of item collection on boss fights. I think it works and I'm very happy with Dread, but it's definitely a design shakeup.
I'm borrowing from my sister who'd already beat the game and she told me that energy tanks mean nothing in boss fights and she was right. It's the difference between one mistake or four mistakes where you accidentally get hit. They throw so many missiles at you that it's not an issue. If you get hit by a strong boss attack it's just going to take 1-2 energy tanks off you.

Just learn the patterns, the game is great about just putting you right outside the door with full health so when you die it's not because you didn't farm enough or unfair mechanics, you just need to get better at that fight.

I finally learned how to Shinespark efficiently because of the lightning bug boss after dying over and over on it and being locked out of going back for upgrades.

This game is accessible but by the time you're at end-game you have to use every single ability in your arsenal to win, you can't just skip and tank because you have every energy tank

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Pretty nuts how Mark Brown almost exactly mirrors my overall feelings on the game. Beautifully, meticulously designed to an almost overdesigned degree. My first play through I had the design philosophy figured out enough that by the time I got the speed boost I never got turned around again because I could just ask myself "where do the developers want me to go next?" and always metagame my way to exactly where I needed to go. I would have preferred something a little more cryptic as well, or maybe some subversions or curveballs instead of just a game that's played perfectly straight the whole way through. Nevertheless, the end product is so elegant it pretty much transcends these complaints for me. It's still way better than Fusion/Zero Mission with literal waypoints.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I found it pretty funny when I read the (Experiment fight spoilers I guess?) healed itself with the tentacles. I instinctively immediately locked onto all of them and killed them because I assumed it was gonna be some crazy attack

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Pretty nuts how Mark Brown almost exactly mirrors my overall feelings on the game. Beautifully, meticulously designed to an almost overdesigned degree. My first play through I had the design philosophy figured out enough that by the time I got the speed boost I never got turned around again because I could just ask myself "where do the developers want me to go next?" and always metagame my way to exactly where I needed to go. I would have preferred something a little more cryptic as well, or maybe some subversions or curveballs instead of just a game that's played perfectly straight the whole way through. Nevertheless, the end product is so elegant it pretty much transcends these complaints for me. It's still way better than Fusion/Zero Mission with literal waypoints.

I describe myself as an exploration/discovery gamer, and what I find interesting about Dread is that I got my fix by discovering how they'd hidden what I believed to be a very linear game. Then afterward I heard about the sequence breaks and had another go of exploration discovering how much they broke the game wide open. Turns out when something is put together well, I can enjoy figuring that out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Merkinman posted:

That's what I had been trying before I thought maybe he was just invulnerable to them.
EDIT got past that phase and died on the next. He has way too much health, my hands were literally cramped and tired.

Key trick on the third phase, the big orange sun thing he summons can be taken out with a Power Bomb.

ikanreed posted:

But dread's flawless mechanical execution is really something else. It reminds me of the near mythical story of Miyamoto ordering the Mario 64 team to not make anything else until they perfected the feel of Mario running around and jumping in 3d. Someone put great care into making this game feel nice.

Even if that's a myth, that's probably an example of extremely solid game design, especially when you're reinventing a genre from scratch. After all, it's the core movement and gameplay mechanics of the game, so you'd need to design everything else around them anyway, and if you have that solid then everything else will fall into place much easier.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO-x7j5RyGc

:magical:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I dislike that you don't know the bosses name until you beat them. Who is this nasty bitch throwing his fingernails at me wtf. I wanna cuss him out but I can't

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I dislike that you don't know the bosses name until you beat them. Who is this nasty bitch throwing his fingernails at me wtf. I wanna cuss him out but I can't

You don't know Kraid? Or was there another boss that did that?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sigher posted:

You don't know Kraid? Or was there another boss that did that?

Based off the number of people who don't know what a shinespark is, I was just thinking about how you can tell just how many people who this was their first Metroid.

It's exciting to be honest. Maybe this will breathe some life into the IP and we'll stop waiting 8 years between games ahahaha yeah right

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Beat the game over last weekend and it was an amazing experience, easily up there with Prime 1 and Super in my books for top tier Metroid game. While at first I found the constant locking out of backtracking to be slightly annoying, if not also pretty humorous with how aggressively it occurred, just going with the flow of the game did often lead back to previous areas via teleportals and elevators, and it did help keep things on track. Really liked the various new upgrades in the game, the Storm Missiles especially once I realized how they can just melt mini and main bosses. Utterly loved the cutscenes as well, double so since they almost always also showed exactly how to deal with the current boss in a nice organic way. As with many, at first most bosses would just shred me, but once I slowed down and actually stopped just trying to tank things and learn tells and when to counter, they would go down surprisingly quickly. While the music was mostly just kinda there, the title screen theme and Quite Robe theme were incredible.

I actually mostly enjoyed the E.M.M.I. sequences, they never really outstayed their welcome and each one getting a new gimmick kept things fresh, and figuring out how to bait them into a path where you could take them out with the 1-2 punch of the Omega Stream and then Burst was neat. I can defiantly see where them being frustrating if you heavily tried to use the stealth ability, but outside of the speed booster one, most were easy enough to outrun. The game checkpointing you whenever you entered an E.M.M.I. zone or boss arena was also massively appreciated just for not wasting time between attempts.

Overall, felt it was an incredibly strong game and really interested in where they are taking things next considering what happens in it. Hopefully Prime 4, whenever it finally comes out, will also be as good of an experience.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Pretty sure you can just look at the map during the fight and move the curser over the boss skull icon to see who it is you are fighting. Granted this took me a bit to realize as the game never really hints at this.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Nah, you can just check the icon on the map for the name as soon as you've seen them. Idk about checking the map the very first time you enter the room, cause i never did that, but after you see and die to a boss, you can definitely check the map and see its name from the boss symbol on the map.

It's how i looked up how to beat the drat underwater boss after nothing worked

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Bruceski posted:

I describe myself as an exploration/discovery gamer, and what I find interesting about Dread is that I got my fix by discovering how they'd hidden what I believed to be a very linear game. Then afterward I heard about the sequence breaks and had another go of exploration discovering how much they broke the game wide open. Turns out when something is put together well, I can enjoy figuring that out.

It's really cool going back and breaking sequence and discovering new dimensions to the design that you didn't understand earlier. Those items you got that you barely used before they were made obsolete? Some routes snag those way earlier and spend a lot more time before getting around to the thing that obsoletes them. That missile tank that dumps you out halfway across the map from where you started? You use that as a backdoor entrance. The weird camera shutter you find in an out of the way place long after you've gotten item after item that required the ability to sneak past camera shutters? It's there to block off a straightaway to make you charge a shinespark elsewhere.

The map is simultaneously designed to invisibly guide new players and to free up passage for multiple completely different routes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This isn't how I remember things... ohhhhh

Ohhh nooooo

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Knowing the SA-X had X-Ray Scope in that potential hack was terrifying. Seeing that there could be more than 1 SA-X at once in a given room was :catstare:.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Regarding the linearity of the game, I definitely felt it on my first playthrough and noticed the "breadcrumb" strategy right off. The map designers obviously put a ton of missile items just out of reach but with obvious tells on how to get them and once you get an item, if you just follow the items you couldn't get on the first pass, the lead you directly to the next part of the critical path. What I didn't like is that after playing Metroid for years, you start taking mental notes to come back to an area once you get "X" item and when you did get X item, getting back to the area in question wasn't possible. The railroading effect there was pretty strong, not awful, but aggressive.

However, I was surprised how quickly the game introduced you to the new environments. In Super, you make a quick trip into Norfair before returning and the Wrecked Ship is on the outskirts of Maridia before you really go into Maridia proper but you kind of stay in the same biome for large chunks of time. In Dread, you're jumping all over the place. The only thing I kept expecting, but never got, was going into an area "above" Cataris. That area seems conspicuously empty.

After beating the game 100%, I finally started looking at sequence breaking and that's where the I think the game actually shines. The early Grappling Beam, Bomb, and Shine Spark puzzles (i.e. early Gravity Suit) were obviously pre-planned by the Devs. I'm glad this stuff is in there because you're not "breaking" the game via glitches to do these sequence breaks: just using skill to go off the critical path. It's the Pseudo-Wave and clip glitching that I'm not a big fan of. The only one I think is pretty ok is the Water Bomb Jumping that gets you through a few areas you couldn't before. Boss Keys does point this out but I don't think he gave enough credit to the level design being a lot more open than initially thought. It's surprisingly open if you know what to look for and have the skill to pull it off.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Now this is dread

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's really cool going back and breaking sequence and discovering new dimensions to the design that you didn't understand earlier. Those items you got that you barely used before they were made obsolete? Some routes snag those way earlier and spend a lot more time before getting around to the thing that obsoletes them.

I've been watching one playthrough where I keep saying "Just use the grapple beam here! Oh right you don't have that yet." Early Grapple opens up so many little things here and there even when following the intended path afterward.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FooF posted:

What I didn't like is that after playing Metroid for years, you start taking mental notes to come back to an area once you get "X" item and when you did get X item, getting back to the area in question wasn't possible. The railroading effect there was pretty strong, not awful, but aggressive.

This was my first experience and why it took me over 10 hours to 100% my first playthrough. I told a friend of mine that when he gets and plays the game to break that habit hard and fast, lest he go trudge a quarter way through the game after getting varia or bombs to get like, 4 items.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Took me 16 hours to finish my first play through. The upside is, i got familiar enough with the entire map that my 2nd playthrough on Hard was easily done in under 4 hours.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

found the source: https://metaquarium.wordpress.com/xfusion/
not released yet even after over 7 years of work :smith:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Played the poo poo out of Dread around release, took forever to beat the game because I constantly got lost. Took a week or two away to rest my fingers, came back to 100% the items and try hard mode. Hard took 7 hours on the clock (wish I knew how many more with dying) because I got lost so much I eventually dragged up a quick guide to just point me to the right biomes since I have no sense of direction.

Hard mode certainly was slightly harder, but I'm pretty sure I didn't enjoy it very much.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
My Hard Mode run was actually 4 hours faster than my first normal run and I blew through bosses way easier than on normal. The only thing "hard" about it is that it's less forgiving of mistakes. I mean, what it really boils down to is only being able to take 2-3 hits in a boss fight versus 4-5 and occasionally dying to a regular enemy if you are playing aggressively. Once you get the patterns down, you can routinely take no damage on mini-bosses and maybe 1 hit against some of the longer/more complicated fights (Escue is the worst on Hard, even with the initial Shinespark hit).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FooF posted:

(Escue is the worst on Hard, even with the initial Shinespark hit).

If you go for early Gravity Suit, that leads to you having Screw Attack before you fight him which turns the fight into a complete joke, even if you mess up the shinespark.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bruceski posted:

I've been watching one playthrough where I keep saying "Just use the grapple beam here! Oh right you don't have that yet." Early Grapple opens up so many little things here and there even when following the intended path afterward.

I watched one run where the guy fights Experiment Z-57, but he didn't have Space Jump or Spin Boost. Dude had to use Cross Bomb jumping to dodge the double armswipe combos.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm gonna have to try the early Gravity Suit get. If there's one thing about this game that actually really annoys me, it's how much time is spent without it underwater.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

i don't even want to think about the kind of freak you have to be to kill it the way he did, with repeated jumps to use the unaimed cannon, instead of any of the myriad aiming options available where a miss or extra shot would break the ceiling. just reprehensible.

I have to feel at least a little sympathy here because the aiming system in this game just sucks. Default unaimed shots are so completely pointless almost all of the time that there's no reason for it to not have the twin-stick control scheme that Shadow Complex already did literally more than a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAY9Mrxzx-g