Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unsinkabear posted:

You may not able to expense it, but if it's used for work at all then you are able to put it on your work credit card. It's not a huge annual expense generating large returns, but do include it in your math.

I believe my boss has an Amex that returns 5x/5% on our digital advertising, but I can't find that so it may be closed to new applicants. Best option I see is x4 points on the Amex business gold. May or may not beat a 2% card at the end of the day

It's currently on my personal card, which just does 1% back for that kind of purchase. Is there some benefit to putting it on the work card besides potentially better rewards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hed posted:

Can someone help me here with a business card? I thought I understood the Pay Yourself Back option from Thoguh's posts but apparently don't. I have 214k UR points, it seems like cash is easy but obviously not the highest redemption. I thought I was comparing between cash and transferring UR to my personal card and redeeming for travel, but the Pay Yourself Back sounds like a good deal, I don't understand the "days" though.

I don't understand the "days" or the selecting a specific transaction for this purpose.

You just have 90 days after a transaction to use Pay Yourself Back. The days thing is just telling you how much time you have left. There really isn’t a reason I’m aware of to favor any given transaction over another for PYB so I consolidate all my points from Chase cards on to my CSR once a month and then just select the oldest eligible transactions on the list and click as many as I can until I run out of points. Then repeat the next month.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That reminds me… I’m considering switching to a Plat Amex for the Resy sign up bonus but I’m not even sure what I would do with 125k plus MR points.

For our CSR I usually just end up using Pay Myself Back now, or I would use it for travel purchases at 1.5x before that existed.

What do people do with MR points?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

smackfu posted:

That reminds me… I’m considering switching to a Plat Amex for the Resy sign up bonus but I’m not even sure what I would do with 125k plus MR points.

For our CSR I usually just end up using Pay Myself Back now, or I would use it for travel purchases at 1.5x before that existed.

What do people do with MR points?

If you're not interested in travel, and luxury travel in particular, MR redemption choices are pretty limited. There are occasionally gift card redemptions for 1c per point, but otherwise most non-travel redemptions are 0.7c/pt or worse. MR points are especially lucrative for foreign airline travel and high end hotel stays.

I keep MR in case I have to travel in an emergency since I can transfer a bunch of points to an airline group and get a cheaper short-notice flight.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If you have a Morgan Stanley, Charles Schwab, or similar Platinum card I believe you can cash them out at 1cent each into a brokerage account.

But yes, Membership Rewards are not great if you want cash back.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

saintonan posted:

If you're not interested in travel, and luxury travel in particular, MR redemption choices are pretty limited. There are occasionally gift card redemptions for 1c per point, but otherwise most non-travel redemptions are 0.7c/pt or worse. MR points are especially lucrative for foreign airline travel and high end hotel stays.

I keep MR in case I have to travel in an emergency since I can transfer a bunch of points to an airline group and get a cheaper short-notice flight.

What hotel redemptions are MR points best for? Any particular transfer offers to watch out for?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Small White Dragon posted:

If you have a Morgan Stanley, Charles Schwab, or similar Platinum card I believe you can cash them out at 1cent each into a brokerage account.

But yes, Membership Rewards are not great if you want cash back.

Schwab had been 1.25 cpp until just recently, now 1.1 cpp I believe.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

What hotel redemptions are MR points best for? Any particular transfer offers to watch out for?

Hilton properties are typically 2:1 transfer, Marriott and Choice properties 1:1. Hilton and Marriott both currently have a 30% bonus (making Hilton 2.6 and Marriott 1.3). At one point not too long ago Hilton properties were 3:1, but points valuations vary rapidly. The highest theoretical use is for luxury hotels in the Far East, but people who use reward points typically wouldn't spend thousands of dollars cash for hotel stays, so there's some disagreement on valuations there (are you really saving $5000 by getting a free hotel stay when you would never pay $5000 cash?). If you're a frequent or infrequent traveler, I'd suggest checking out the Flyertalk forums - that place is chock-full of professional travelers, so their opinions are far more valid than mine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

saintonan posted:

Hilton properties are typically 2:1 transfer, Marriott and Choice properties 1:1. Hilton and Marriott both currently have a 30% bonus (making Hilton 2.6 and Marriott 1.3). At one point not too long ago Hilton properties were 3:1, but points valuations vary rapidly. The highest theoretical use is for luxury hotels in the Far East, but people who use reward points typically wouldn't spend thousands of dollars cash for hotel stays, so there's some disagreement on valuations there (are you really saving $5000 by getting a free hotel stay when you would never pay $5000 cash?). If you're a frequent or infrequent traveler, I'd suggest checking out the Flyertalk forums - that place is chock-full of professional travelers, so their opinions are far more valid than mine.

We tend to use points for hotel stays because the availability is generally much better than flights at peak travel times. I was curious if certain Marriott /Hilton properties were as good as Hyatt redemptions (Park Hyatt in Paris/Milan, Hyatts in Vail/Beaver Creek for example).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Residency Evil posted:

We tend to use points for hotel stays because the availability is generally much better than flights at peak travel times. I was curious if certain Marriott /Hilton properties were as good as Hyatt redemptions (Park Hyatt in Paris/Milan, Hyatts in Vail/Beaver Creek for example).

There are a lot of fantastic high-end Marriott and Hilton properties, but the points required tend to be much higher.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

There are a lot of fantastic high-end Marriott and Hilton properties, but the points required tend to be much higher.

Yeah, that's what I've run across as well. I was curious what specific MR redemptions might be worth it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
MR are pretty bad for hotels unless you find a deal or they have a transfer bonus. From TPG, points values are Choice and Hilton at .6 cents and Marriott at .8 cents. Hilton and Marriott are also very hit or miss with finding availability. If you're willing to plan a trip around it then the value can be there though.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, that's what I've run across as well. I was curious what specific MR redemptions might be worth it.

Usually it's either:
1) Transfer to International Airlines (most any MR card is fine for this)
2) Pay with Points for domestic flights (Business Platinum or Gold Platinum card only)
3) Transfer to Broker Account (Morgan Stanley or Charles Schwab Platinum card only)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's currently on my personal card, which just does 1% back for that kind of purchase. Is there some benefit to putting it on the work card besides potentially better rewards?

Nope, just the rewards. I mentioned it because it seemed like you would consider those if usable, and they are. Autopay points categories like advertising, utilities, etc that bill the same card every time with no input from you (or need for you to carry the card) are generally the only kind I bother with.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Gotcha, thanks. I went ahead and applied for a Capital One card that's just 1.5% back on everything, no annual fee. I did the math on my average monthly expenditures, and the 2% back card with a $150 annual fee wasn't worth it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Fidelity and Citi both have free 2% back cards.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

And several national credit unions.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

You just have 90 days after a transaction to use Pay Yourself Back. The days thing is just telling you how much time you have left. There really isn’t a reason I’m aware of to favor any given transaction over another for PYB so I consolidate all my points from Chase cards on to my CSR once a month and then just select the oldest eligible transactions on the list and click as many as I can until I run out of points. Then repeat the next month.

Thank you. I was making things more complicated as usual. I ended up selecting the oldest ones and got some credits. Great stuff until I can travel.

Now I just need CSR to come out with some great promos or accept that CSP is going to continue to outperform it and get it. Pretty soon my youngest kids will be at the point we can travel again so those points interest me

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Going to be buying some appliances and building supply type stuff, between 5 and 10 thousand. Currently have a CSR and a United quest (for the pqp bonus not to keep), an Apple Card, Costco and Amazon card. Anything I’m missing? Any tips I should consider? Appliances most likely won’t be from Costco and the place I’m buying from does take cards. Will the normal warranty extension on the csr/visa cover that or should I look for something different to use?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
So the Uber credit card is fully dead now, it has been switched over to the "Barclays View Mastercard" which is only slightly notable thing is 3% on dining. It's lost the two main reasons I kept it after they changed the rewards, automatic phone insurance with $0 deductible and no foreign transaction fee. I switched my phone bill over to my Wells Fargo Propel card for now, but cell phone insurance seems to also be vanishing as a benefit. The Chase Freedom Flex still has it, but nothing with the Uber card's previous $0 deductible.

Edited the OP to reflect that change and noticed quite a lot of information that was out of date, so I updated a few things. If anyone thinks something should be added/removed/changed in the OP you can PM me or just post in the thread.
-Removed USAA Limitless card
-Removed Barclay Uber card
-Removed segments on chip, chip and pin, chip and sig, etc
-Removed note on price protection benefit (RIP)
-Updated a few annual fees/rewards rates that have changed
-Added Citi Custom Cash Card
-Added Alliant 2.5% Visa
-Added Amex Plat/Gold
-Added note on phone protection benefit

astral
Apr 26, 2004

THF13 posted:

cell phone insurance seems to also be vanishing as a benefit.

Aside from the Flex, the US Bank Altitude Connect ($95 AF) that recently came out has cell phone insurance (up to $600 per incident and $100 deductible, so not a card to get just for this benefit), as does the no-AF Wells Fargo 2% back card (up to $600 per incident, $25 deductible).

People looking to replace the dining rate on the Uber card might look at the US Bank Altitude Go (4x back on takeout, food delivery, and dining with no foreign transaction fees).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Apparently in October Barclays finally killed the Uber card and replaced it with some generic Mastercard.

I don't care about that Card and just keep it active to avoid the credit score hit, but I just tried to log in to my account and the website is just silently timing out.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Is anyone here from the PNW? I buy my groceries at Fred Meyers and am unsure if it counts for the groceries category for a Chase Visa or Citi Mastercard. I know it doesn't for Amex of any kind.

I'm trying to figure out if I should look at a card for groceries or just stick with my Doublecash.

I doubt it, but I did notice on my online portals those transactions are showing as groceries which has me hopeful (although that's editable on Chase, so that makes me less so).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Apparently in October Barclays finally killed the Uber card and replaced it with some generic Mastercard.

I don't care about that Card and just keep it active to avoid the credit score hit, but I just tried to log in to my account and the website is just silently timing out.

Has anyone else run into this issue?
I'm able to login to the same website as I did when it was the Uber card without an issue. It goes without saying though that the card is now trash and should be sock drawered.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm able to login to the same website as I did when it was the Uber card without an issue. It goes without saying though that the card is now trash and should be sock drawered.

Yeah I just keep a 5 dollar charge there and wanted to update the autopay details. It’s working now so it must have been some issue with the website, thanks!

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Is the 125K Amex Platinum sign up bonus worth it right now? I haven't really been paying attention to things the last couple of years, and mainly just use my CSR for everything, but I travel a decent amount and the annual travel credits seem like they will make the annual cost close to $0.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Is the 125K Amex Platinum sign up bonus worth it right now? I haven't really been paying attention to things the last couple of years, and mainly just use my CSR for everything, but I travel a decent amount and the annual travel credits seem like they will make the annual cost close to $0.

I signed up for the 150k bonus and I'm also trying to figure out what to spend these points on. Maybe I'll just transfer everything to BA Avios. Years ago I did that and was able to take occasional short-ish flights in the US pretty successfully.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Be aware those credits can be harder to use than, say, CSR's credit.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Be aware those credits can be harder to use than, say, CSR's credit.

How so? I’ve honestly been surprised at how easy they were. Iirc, the only ones that require actually assigning them to your card are the flight incidental credit and the digital entertainment credit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For instance: $200 in airline fee credits for one airline vs $200 in credits for any travel expenses. We easily spend $200 on travel a year but don’t spend that much at a single airline on fees.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

The streaming credit only working on services no one uses is another

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

smackfu posted:

For instance: $200 in airline fee credits for one airline vs $200 in credits for any travel expenses. We easily spend $200 on travel a year but don’t spend that much at a single airline on fees.

Unsinkabear posted:

The streaming credit only working on services no one uses is another

Both good points! They are annoyingly specific, but I wouldn’t say they are hard to use though as long as you read up about how to do it.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I applied for a Chase United card last Wednesday and they said that they needed to review my application. It's been almost a week, and I still haven't heard back. Would it be good to inquire about the application? I don't even know where to inquire if so as they didn't give me any info on that or a case number.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

drainpipe posted:

I applied for a Chase United card last Wednesday and they said that they needed to review my application. It's been almost a week, and I still haven't heard back. Would it be good to inquire about the application? I don't even know where to inquire if so as they didn't give me any info on that or a case number.

Just follow this flowchart and you should be good. It's a bit old but still accurate afaik. If it's a business card, be ready for these questions when you call

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Unsinkabear posted:

Just follow this flowchart and you should be good. It's a bit old but still accurate afaik. If it's a business card, be ready for these questions when you call

Thanks! That worked. Called and was notified that I was approved. Funny that they didn't send an email about that. Now gotta plan that spend.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

drainpipe posted:

Thanks! That worked. Called and was notified that I was approved. Funny that they didn't send an email about that. Now gotta plan that spend.

Congrats, and good luck!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Any thoughts on this new Venture X card? Looks like Capital Ones first luxury card? They targeted me to apply, 100k bonus points after a $10k spend in 6 months.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you plan to use their portal to use the points, I would look into reviews of it. If you plan to transfer, look to see you can transfer where you want. The two credits, one is a sign up and the other is card year, require specific usage so I would also make sure you can actually use them. Seems like a good card with a good sign up bonus that just requires a few hoops to jump through.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The signup bonus for the Amazon Chase Visa is up to $200 for Prime members as of today, $100 for non-Prime. No spend requirement. I think this is a black fridayish promotion, but not sure for sure when/if it's ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

THF13 posted:

The signup bonus for the Amazon Chase Visa is up to $200 for Prime members as of today, $100 for non-Prime. No spend requirement. I think this is a black fridayish promotion, but not sure for sure when/if it's ending.

Convenient link: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Rewards-Visa-Signature-Card/dp/BT00LN946S/

This is as good as it gets for that card. Highly recommend getting one if you do any shopping at Amazon. It even has a year of extended warranty protection for warranties of three years or less.