Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Im amazed that kratom is still legal in Sweden. Technically illegal to consume, but legal to buy (and is sold openly online) as long as they state that it is not for consumption (usual cover is as an homemade soap ingredient).

Some EU countries have banned it wouldnt expect Sweden to lag behind, but maybe its not as widespread and visible?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Falukorv posted:

Im amazed that kratom is still legal in Sweden. Technically illegal to consume, but legal to buy (and is sold openly online) as long as they state that it is not for consumption (usual cover is as an homemade soap ingredient).

Wait are you loving serious
E: bustin out some mini shovels

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
yepp, even have some at home right now.

Just to be clear, im not in any way endorsing it, as it is as addictive as any lower strength opiate and same caution should be applied.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
I still kinda have no idea what kratom actually is or does and I think I'm happier for it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Konec Hry posted:

I still kinda have no idea what kratom actually is or does and I think I'm happier for it.

Some use it as an opiate alternative, some use it to wean themselves off, I don’t care about why you use it, just be safe.

It was a mixed bag for me but in the US at the time the quality was more spotty than a Yaoyi Kusama installation.

Might see if the partner would be interested as he is a welder with horrendous shoulder pain, though I’d like to drag his rear end to an actual doctor first.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

teen witch posted:

It seems weird for a company to sell something to a market that’s a prison sentence.

Isn't this just "disruptive innovation" or whatever it's called? I just don't think they care whether it's legal over here or not.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

teen witch posted:

So I’m getting ads for microdosing truffles from Dutch companies which isn’t new or frankly unexpected, but apparently these can be shipped to Sweden nbd? A cursory Google seems to show quite a few companies that do this, and tons of flashback links, with paywalled DN & SvD articles discussing it as well.

Is this a situation where “it’s fine but if tullverket catches wind RIP to you and to them” OR…is this legit fine? I’d love to have the opportunity to try it but not if it’s risking my legal behind.

Okay, this is me being super square, but are we talking about regular food truffles or something else here? Can I get literally high from eating rich people food?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Konec Hry posted:

Same but basically all drugs except booze, which I barely use either. I'm a real square and happy about it. Boredom, I love it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

BonHair posted:

Okay, this is me being super square, but are we talking about regular food truffles or something else here? Can I get literally high from eating rich people food?

No, they contain small amounts of psilocybin, one of the main psychoactive substances found in many psychedelic mushrooms.

Potent species grow naturally in Sweden but the moment you pick them they magically transform from mushrooms into drugs. lol

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just do drugs, the swedish police sucks

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I saw this in the wild.

I assume that American HIPPA takes are being imported to Sweden.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, it makes sense seeing that we have continental states which have made the full leap to vaccine enforcement.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Feliday Melody posted:

I saw this in the wild.

Finally, the first time I can bust this out, after waiting over a year, my first “it’s HIPAA”

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just do drugs, the swedish police sucks

Remember when they managed to lose track of those thieves in Stockholm, on a boat, navigating the canals? I think they stole the crown jewels or something ridiculous like that?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Feliday Melody posted:

I saw this in the wild.

1. The prohibition against violation of bodily integrity presumes unlawfulness. Lawful violation of bodily integrity happens all the time.

2. Special rules that govern infectious disease control normally take presedence over general medical rulesets designed to regulate everyday medical services. For obvious reasons. Then there's ordre public, derogational exceptions yadda yadda yadda.

loving hate sov cits.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

teen witch posted:

That’s the conclusion I’m coming to but…might as well look into it if it’s something I want to know more about. Just wish there was straightforward information and not “well what does Reddit and flashback say” and extrapolate from there.

All due credit to your thinking; it should be a lot easier for any regular person to understand the exact limits of criminal law in a clear and simple way. It's one of the core subjects of criminal law interpretation. Unfortunately, as the world gets more complicated criminal law follows, to the detriment of clear and simple predictable text. Feature bloat of law, if you will.

The staggering amount of poo poo that's illegal under criminal liability in special law would amaze you.

Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is not a defence. Exceptions apply... in theory. I guess.

When it comes to drugs I always advise extreme caution and frankly erring on the side of caution.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

All due credit to your thinking; it should be a lot easier for any regular person to understand the exact limits of criminal law in a clear and simple way. It's one of the core subjects of criminal law interpretation. Unfortunately, as the world gets more complicated criminal law follows, to the detriment of clear and simple predictable text. Feature bloat of law, if you will.

If the laws are made clearer then it would be easier for the public to protest when the cops do illegal poo poo like stuff their fingers in your anus because you "fit the profile of someone using drugs". And clearly no one is interested in that happening.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The staggering amount of poo poo that's illegal under criminal liability in special law would amaze you.

Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is not a defence. Exceptions apply... in theory. I guess.

When it comes to drugs I always advise extreme caution and frankly erring on the side of caution.

Yeah, I’m a brown so it’s best I not risk it, but it’s weird as hell that they’d advertise it. I’ll keep my lawbreaking domestic, which is a drat shame.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Alhazred posted:

If the laws are made clearer then it would be easier for the public to protest when the cops do illegal poo poo like stuff their fingers in your anus because you "fit the profile of someone using drugs". And clearly no one is interested in that happening.

The problem is that the legal system is a massive chain of references between existing laws and legal precedents. So when you change a law you could break another law and so they often prefer to build on existing laws and legal frameworks.

Yes it's a mess but like "Nice piece of fish" said. Use caution.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Feliday Melody posted:

The problem is that the legal system is a massive chain of references between existing laws and legal precedents. So when you change a law you could break another law and so they often prefer to build on existing laws and legal frameworks.

So, much the same as programming legacy database systems, then.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

1. The prohibition against violation of bodily integrity presumes unlawfulness. Lawful violation of bodily integrity happens all the time.

2. Special rules that govern infectious disease control normally take presedence over general medical rulesets designed to regulate everyday medical services. For obvious reasons. Then there's ordre public, derogational exceptions yadda yadda yadda.

loving hate sov cits.

People still have the right to deny medical intervention if treated under smittskyddslagen. AFAIK there’s no somatic illness that can be treated against the patient’s will in Sweden

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fodder Cannon posted:

People still have the right to deny medical intervention if treated under smittskyddslagen. AFAIK there’s no somatic illness that can be treated against the patient’s will in Sweden

Sure whatever. Swedens laws suck, this isn't news. The question was can your general bodily integrity be violated lawfully? And yes it can. Through several means.

Wait, your contention is that a severe illness like paranoid scizophrenia can't be treated with forced medication? Forced institutionalization? Sounds pretty dumb. The rest of the world it sure can.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

Sure whatever. Swedens laws suck, this isn't news. The question was can your general bodily integrity be violated lawfully? And yes it can. Through several means.

Wait, your contention is that a severe illness like paranoid scizophrenia can't be treated with forced medication? Forced institutionalization? Sounds pretty dumb. The rest of the world it sure can.

Well I wasn’t contending anything just clarifying your second point because I myself did not know this for a long time. I have no contention with the first part. As for my opinion in general I think the laws surrounding this are sound though I can definitely see the argument for forced intervention in the case of diseases found to threaten public health.

As to the second point no, that’s why I specified somatic disease. Psychiatric illnesses can be treated and institutionalized against the patient’s will provided they meet certain criteria. People carrying certain contagious diseases can be forcibly isolated and have to submit to testing and tracing but cannot actually receive treatment against their will

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fodder Cannon posted:

Well I wasn’t contending anything just clarifying your second point because I myself did not know this for a long time. I have no contention with the first part. As for my opinion in general I think the laws surrounding this are sound though I can definitely see the argument for forced intervention in the case of diseases found to threaten public health.

As to the second point no, that’s why I specified somatic disease. Psychiatric illnesses can be treated and institutionalized against the patient’s will provided they meet certain criteria. People carrying certain contagious diseases can be forcibly isolated and have to submit to testing and tracing but cannot actually receive treatment against their will

Ok. Depending on your definition of "somatic disease" which I assume isn't somatic disease disorder, isn't alcoholism/drug addiction a strict somatic illness? Which in Sweden may be forcibly treated?

Never mind. It's not important, the actual thing I was speaking to was the rant above. I don't really care about what they may have meant, I care about what they wrote which is worthless drivel.

Always an interesting question though is if someone refuses life-saving treatment for no apparent reason, should they not be regarded as suicidal or self-harming? And be declared incompetent? And then forced?

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

Ok. Depending on your definition of "somatic disease" which I assume isn't somatic disease disorder, isn't alcoholism/drug addiction a strict somatic illness? Which in Sweden may be forcibly treated?

Never mind. It's not important, the actual thing I was speaking to was the rant above. I don't really care about what they may have meant, I care about what they wrote which is worthless drivel.

Always an interesting question though is if someone refuses life-saving treatment for no apparent reason, should they not be regarded as suicidal or self-harming? And be declared incompetent? And then forced?

The line between somatic and psychiatric is iffy to say the least of course but generally I would think alcohol and drug addiction would count as psychiatric. Legally it falls under LVM as opposed to LPT for psychiatric illnesses. Like psychiatric illnesses it can be forcibly treated under certain conditions.

Otherwise I agree it’s basically drivel but I didn’t really get the context from the original post.

And I’m talking about this because I find it an interesting question too :) it does seem odd to me that someone can overdose on insulin for suicidal reasons and be treated against their will whereas they can be non-compliant diabetics until it kills them without anyone being able to do anything. Of course in practice it’s not as simple as an otherwise healthy adult refusing treatment for say heart failure and everyone just throwing up their hands but legally it’s iffy and something like that by itself is not enough to declare them incompetent

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://www.aftonbladet.se/minekonomi/a/dnM44q/suzanne-och-rolf-gick-pa-bitcoinbluff--nu-tar-fogden-deras-pension

quote:

Suzanne och Rolf gick på bitcoinbluff – nu tar fogden deras pension

Det pensionerade paret i Hofors formades av det gamla samhället. De blev sina egna människor i en värld där bankmannen var en kamrat och det oftast gick att lita på ett handslag.

Det var den nya tiden som lurade dem. Suzanne och Rolf gick vilse bland avancerade tekniska lösningar, fejkade webbsidor och bedragare som ljuger utan att blinka.

– Jag skulle aldrig kunna utsätta någon för det som han gjort mot oss. Jag kan fortfarande inte begripa att man kan vara så kallsinnig. Det bidrog nog till han lyckades lura oss, säger Suzanne.

Allt började med Leif GW Persson. Makarna var nyfikna på bitcoin, och surfade runt på Facebook för att lära sig mer. När de såg annonsen med den folkkära krimprofessorn blev de snabbt intresserade av tjänsten som han verkade tala så väl om.

– GW har man ju förtroende för. Vi tänkte att han hade koll på sådana här saker, säger Rolf.

Reklamen var en bluff, men det insåg inte paret förrän allt var försent. De klickade på länken och betalade 99 euro för att få information om att investera i kryptovalutor.

Ban old people from the internet. For their own good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Banken fick rätt i domstol

Paret har nu skulder hos sex olika banker. Totalbeloppet uppgår till nästan två miljoner kronor.

Lånet som gjort att de fått Kronofogden efter sig är på 270 000 kronor. Kreditgivaren, Bank Norwegian, drog förra året Suzanne och Rolf inför rätta för att kräva tillbaka pengarna som de aldrig sett till.

Fogden mäter också ut en del av parets pension. Tidigare hade de drygt 20 000 kronor att leva på varje månad. Nu tvingas de klara sig på omkring hälften av den summan.

Peak modern--unregulated-banking, no responsibility on the financial institutions which gave out unsecured credit willy-nilly and let them sell off and transfer literally all their assets with no safety brakes. Now they get to leach off their pensions until they die, the fraudster is not the only here who made it out like a bandit.

I do find the lie about the bank-id charming though, they're read up well enough to know it's a thing, but not well-enough to know the sequence of events they're describing is impossible.

quote:

”De kan sammantaget inte anses ha gjort antagligt att någon utomstående obehörigen upprättat nya bank-id:n i deras namn och med hjälp av dem ansökt om lånet”, heter det i beslutet som gjort att tvåbilsgaraget i Hofors gapar tomt.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'm also feeling less than sympathetic about the state collecting their luxury cars. Cars that they on paper signed over to their kids when they started smelling trouble. It of course makes no difference because the government isn't that dumb.

Speaking as someone who has worked as a financial assistant in Sweden and advised people/companies that were dealing with kronofogden.

If kronofogden is after you. Everything in the vicinity of the place where you "get most of your daily rest" is free for them to claim. If you're living with a partner then kronofogden can take all of your partners things based on your debt.

I get why on paper it works this way. Otherwise people would just sign over all of their personal property to their partner/sibling/parents/kids to get out of debt. But in practise it can get extremely cruel.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 30, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You have to be both prideful and arrogant to completely fall into a confidence scam, so that kinda comes with the territory. Don't know where you're getting the impression they're rich from, unless the article is completely off-base. Income-vise 15000*2 gross in pension is below the relative poverty line. Cars, house (Bofors prices) and funds would put them at about 750 000 to 1,5 mil in in assets before the scam.

Given their income, age and recent credit situation it's doubtable any bank would give them a loan for a smaller house so the value of the house might as well not exist. Moving into a rental is kind of the same situation, unless lucky in finding something rent-controlled. Also counting the inevitable maintenance of such an old house (the hint is in the state of their kitchen) I'd argue they're post-all-this below the absolute poverty line and one financial surprise in the next five years away from losing everything.

Irregardless of the case details, I think it's a systemic failure that they lose and the bank wins, in an ideal world they'd just have to accept that they transferred away their assets and the bank would have to accept they they didn't perform due diligence. But instead the bank gets to get rich and they get to live below the poverty line until the day they die.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

MiddleOne posted:

You have to be both prideful and arrogant to completely fall into a confidence scam, so that kinda comes with the territory. Don't know where you're getting the impression they're rich from, unless the article is completely off-base. Income-vise 15000*2 gross in pension is below the relative poverty line. Cars, house (Bofors prices) and funds would put them at about 750 000 to 1,5 mil in in assets before the scam.

Given their income, age and recent credit situation it's doubtable any bank would give them a loan for a smaller house so the value of the house might as well not exist. Moving into a rental is kind of the same situation, unless lucky in finding something rent-controlled. Also counting the inevitable maintenance of such an old house (the hint is in the state of their kitchen) I'd argue they're post-all-this below the absolute poverty line and one financial surprise in the next five years away from losing everything.

Irregardless of the case details, I think it's a systemic failure that they lose and the bank wins, in an ideal world they'd just have to accept that they transferred away their assets and the bank would have to accept they they didn't perform due diligence. But instead the bank gets to get rich and they get to live below the poverty line until the day they die.

Chances are they bought everything when they both still worked and their combined income would be around 40000-50000 SEK net each month. They had 2 cars one of which included a pretty nice Ford Thunderbird.

The house is probably worth quite a bit. I can't speak about the quality of the kitchen without a picture of the sink which is the biggest indicator for how the piping etc is doing and when it was last changed.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Peak modern--unregulated-banking, no responsibility on the financial institutions which gave out unsecured credit willy-nilly and let them sell off and transfer literally all their assets with no safety brakes. Now they get to leach off their pensions until they die, the fraudster is not the only here who made it out like a bandit.

I do find the lie about the bank-id charming though, they're read up well enough to know it's a thing, but not well-enough to know the sequence of events they're describing is impossible.

Identify thefts attempts is actually a more common crime than bicycle theft in Sweden.
One credit application at Lendo ( or equivalent) basically results in credit applications for 20-30 banks and can end up quite badly. The only actually working thing that one can do is to block companies from taking your credit rating.
Oh, and one major reason why Lendo exists is that the more credit applications you do, the worse your credit rating. Lendo circumvents that by doing one credit application for 20-30 banks.
It is just another example of where the current system screws over the poor and uninformed.

That said, the article sounds more like the couple thought they were too smart to get scammed, cause why else six banks and signing over your cars.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

Chances are they bought everything when they both still worked and their combined income would be around 40000-50000 SEK net each month. They had 2 cars one of which included a pretty nice Ford Thunderbird.

The house is probably worth quite a bit. I can't speak about the quality of the kitchen without a picture of the sink which is the biggest indicator for how the piping etc is doing and when it was last changed.

Normally with today's housing market, yes. But not in Bofors.

Even if they have zero debt on the house it's not worth more than around a mil, probably less going by the state of renovation in the pictures. Same story with the Thunderbird that was seized which can fall anywhere in-between scrap and 300 000. As I said, net assets before the scam was probably 750 to 1.5 mil. That sounds like a lot, but for pensioners at their pensions-levels those assets have to last until the day they die.

Which obviously, won't be the case after the events that transpired.

Cardiac posted:

That said, the article sounds more like the couple thought they were too smart to get scammed, cause why else six banks and signing over your cars.

Yeah none of this makes sense for identity fraud, as for getting conned on the other hand.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 30, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

How the gently caress were they able to get a loan to invest in bitcoins. lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

anatomi posted:

Welcome to Palmes glorious de-regulated financial system where giving out un-secured loans is so safe that even a beggar off the street can get hundreds of thousands no questions asked as long as they have an empty credit-check and a bank account.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't see why gamblers are more deserving of our pity just because they're old.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

anatomi posted:

They probably lied to the bank about what the loan was for.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Banks can support and encourage this because they have very close to zero risk in these cases. The state will go to extreme lengths, violence included, to collect on their behalf, and not just from the people responsible, whoever is the most convenient and nearby. No economic reasons for banks to do anything about it. They can just keep collecting.

Being scammed with Bitcoin is pretty stupid though. Regardless, I can’t remember who said it, but it’s goes something like: if you’ve never been scammed or cheated in some way, you’ve either been very privileged/lucky, or you’re probably not trusting enough to live a happy life.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

They probably lied to the bank about what the loan was for.

Very cute that you think banks give a gently caress. As the post above elaborates, they have very little skin in the game.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Very cute that you think banks give a gently caress. As the post above elaborates, they have very little skin in the game.

I know someone who works at a bank that does these types of loans. When he started, he was very confused why anyone would ever take these loans. His colleagues explained to him that he was not the target group for these types of loans for some very obvious reasons.

This area, as well as health and food, is where one sees the main differences in class in Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

If I was a bitcoin investor mark I'd lie my rear end off to maximize my mortgage first. Then take the really dumb private unsecured loans at infinity APR.