Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

The appendix refers to "sand plankton":

"Now they had the circular relationship: little maker to pre-spice mass; little maker to shai-hulud; shai-hulud to scatter the spice upon which fed microscopic creatures called sand plankton; the sand plankton, food for shai-hulud, growing, burrowing, becoming little makers."

"At the desert edge of the plantings, the sand plankton is being poisoned through interaction with the new forms of life. The reason: protein incompatibility. Poisonous water was forming there which the Arrakis life would not touch. A barren zone surrounded the plantings and even shai-hulud would not invade it."

"The second discovery concerned the sand-worm. These mighty creatures began their lives as sand plankton, then matured into the sandtrout form before becoming worm, It was the sandtrout phase — in which the "water-stealers" swam freely through the sand and sealed off all available water in the porous lower strata."

Ok If the sand plankton photosynthesis then the system works I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Give us Danny DeVito as bijaz Dennis you coward

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

They are filter feeders and possibly nuclear engines

They also eat spice harvesters, crew, carryalls, and assorted Harkonnens

When they can't find those they eat Muad'Dibs like plankton.

edit:

ChairmanMauzer posted:

The appendix refers to "sand plankton":

are you loving kidding me

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Was the concept of silicon-based life around when Frank was writing?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm going to worship dv

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tree Bucket posted:

Was the concept of silicon-based life around when Frank was writing?

Yeah, it's a late 19th century thing.

HG Wells posted:

One is startled towards fantastic imaginings by such a suggestion: visions of silicon-aluminium organisms – why not silicon-aluminium men at once? – wandering through an atmosphere of gaseous sulphur, let us say, by the shores of a sea of liquid iron some thousand degrees or so above the temperature of a blast furnace.

It was further popularised in the early 20th century by JBS Haldane, who was one of the major, I guess you'd call it, "pop" science guys of that era - notably inspiring Aldous Huxley and Olaf Stapleton.

Weird guy. https://www.jstor.org/stable/4331611 (On a certain science hub website if you don't have access)

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The thing is, that kinda ruins the whole getting rid of sandworms to free the people from the oracular fixed vision of the sandworms that still carry the pearls of awareness of Leto II.

No, since all the Leto II descended worms are killed when the HM glass Rakis at the end of Heretics. They only save one, and its descendants will have such diluted fragments of Leto that the BG figure he can't really be controlling much anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/FPSCarol/status/1453910541991219208?s=20

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm glad daft punk were defeated in the butlerian jihad

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Spits on your desk

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just saw the new film.

Guys it's loving amazing

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

!Klams posted:

Just saw the new film.

Guys it's loving amazing

It's rad. :hmmyes:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The scene where Mapes gives Jessica the knife, and Jessica is kinda feeling her way through the interaction while prepping the guard with battle language is so loving good!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

okay I definitely wanna do a Fremen costume but I'm not really sure how to do the sort of faux-chestplate the still suits have

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

Mapes: What flavour cereal do you... desire?

Jessica (Cautiously) I could go for some cinnamon--

Mapes (instantly losing her poo poo) AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT IS JUST AS FORETOLD

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
Well I read the book and it seems to me that they never said “the spice must flow “did I miss it or did this not happen or what’s the story here

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
My name is a tuggin word

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

epic 2012 username posted:

Well I read the book and it seems to me that they never said “the spice must flow “did I miss it or did this not happen or what’s the story here

They didn’t. It’s from Lynch Dune

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

!Klams posted:

Just saw the new film.

Guys it's loving amazing

here's the face I made while watching it :ibadpop:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

sebmojo posted:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Now I want a fremen version of :hai:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm going to have to learn the subtle arts of the gifwright.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

sebmojo posted:

Now I want a fremen version of :hai:

:shai:

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 30, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:dukedoge:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Water of life is made by drowning a worm and drinking the vomit that comes out, it’s not already inside.

Yep this is where the water of life comes from: Original Dune deleted scene Baby worm/ water of life

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DropsySufferer posted:

Yep this is where the water of life comes from: Original Dune deleted scene Baby worm/ water of life

god the tone of lynch dune is dumb as gently caress, but even so...why would they ever cut this out?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Guys I did it. I read this entire thread front to back. From the first string of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes to the first mention of thigh pads to the next set of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes to movie rumors to Simpsons/KotH memes and third set of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes. On through the movie coming out and people seeing it in theaters where it was too dark and missing the point somehow and mostly fanboys geeking out all the way to now.

That may sound critical but it was an excellent read and I am so glad to be here at the end.

Ranked:
1. Dune
2. GEoD
3. Heretics
4. Messiah
5. CoD
6. Chapterhouse

And DUNC is better than Lynch's although I enjoy them both as mostly a SF and Dune fan (rather than cinema fan)

Unprocessed spice should be blue/violet and the gas should be orange.

*Sexily free climbs a wall out*

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ty for ur service dunefriend

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

Guys I did it. I read this entire thread front to back. From the first string of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes to the first mention of thigh pads to the next set of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes to movie rumors to Simpsons/KotH memes and third set of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes. On through the movie coming out and people seeing it in theaters where it was too dark and missing the point somehow and mostly fanboys geeking out all the way to now.

That may sound critical but it was an excellent read and I am so glad to be here at the end.

Ranked:
1. Dune
2. GEoD
3. Heretics
4. Messiah
5. CoD
6. Chapterhouse

And DUNC is better than Lynch's although I enjoy them both as mostly a SF and Dune fan (rather than cinema fan)

you drank pure shitpost juice and now see posts within posts

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Soul Dentist posted:

Ranked:
1. Dune
2. GEoD
3. Heretics
4. Messiah
5. CoD
6. Chapterhouse

I was a friend of Soul Dentist. While we posted on the forums, he bore the brunt of half a thousand pages of thigh pad jokes. I claim his interesting point about the correct colours of spice.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
On second read, Messiah struck me as a much simpler and enjoyable book than the rest. It really hammers in a central them of the entire series, prescience and its drawbacks. Paul is basically orchestrating his "cowardly" "escape" from his situation, with loving awful consequences. He's aware of the entire plot from the get-go, which I didn't realize fully the first time I read it. Kinda like the fourth book in miniature.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:ibadpop:

Soul Dentist posted:

Ranked:
1. Dune
2. GEoD
3. Heretics
4. Messiah
5. CoD
6. Chapterhouse

You missed the jokes about Dune: Desert Planet and variants - those are my favorite part of the entire thread, although I think when I read through it, it was only like 100 pages.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Soul Dentist posted:

Ranked:
1. Dune
2. GEoD
3. Heretics
4. Messiah
5. CoD
6. Chapterhouse

This post gave me an orgasm by the end

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lamo the spice color discussion

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'll have you know my balls are actually blue and also rather unrefined

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i'll have you know my balls are actually blue and also rather unrefined

Balls within balls :ibadpop:

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Your balldo is fitted desert fashion. Who told you how to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

YoursTruly posted:

Your balldo is fitted desert fashion. Who told you how to do that?

No one, it seemed the sexiest way

ilovebeersooomuch fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 30, 2021