Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Monosodium Glutamate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

FreudianSlippers posted:

Monosodium Glutamate?

Madison Square Garden.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FreudianSlippers posted:

Monosodium Glutamate?

Metal Solid Gear

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FreudianSlippers posted:

Monosodium Glutamate?

Mobile Suit Gundam.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
My Shemical Gromance

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Michael Schenker Group

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Mr.Chill posted:

Late to the party, but what exactly did Dane Cook do to make himself universally hated? I remember him being all dude bro alpha bullshit one day and disappearing from public awareness the next.
Was there a specific event or...?

Dane Cook was basically the stand-up equivalent of a one-hit wonder. He came out swinging with something that worked in that one specific moment but had nothing to follow it up, couldn't pivot to acting, and his schtick aging poorly makes dunking on him a safe source of fun for the whole family.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
He accuses Louis C.K. of boosting his own career on false joke theft rumours, which before you say yeah go Dane he's like 49 dating a 22 year old since she was 19

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

He accuses Louis C.K. of boosting his own career on false joke theft rumours, which before you say yeah go Dane he's like 49 dating a 22 year old since she was 19

That sounds lovely but is that not the way thing be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx-rqxBpa2o

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

Dane Cook was basically the stand-up equivalent of a one-hit wonder. He came out swinging with something that worked in that one specific moment but had nothing to follow it up, couldn't pivot to acting, and his schtick aging poorly makes dunking on him a safe source of fun for the whole family.

One-hit-wonder isn't the word for it. Guy was huge for nearly 10 years. His Comedy Central half hour was like 1999/2000 and he sold out MSG in 2007.

But yeah, his comedy has aged terribly and despite being one of the biggest comedians in the world in the 2000s has left no lasting legacy.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Dane Cook is like if you made a copy of Ryan Reynolds and sucked all the charisma and talent out of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't help he became synonymous with 'bro humour' just as that became a universal target of mockery.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

One of his bits that would get huge laughs was that it would be crazy if you went to a party and poo poo on all the coats. That's it! That's the whole joke. His actual act was mostly taking stuff like that and just acting it out with a lot of moxie, i.e. yelling extremely loud.

But the crazy part is, it was actually funny! For a while. I'd agree he was a one-hit wonder in the sense that after a while, you realized pretty much all his jokes worked the exact same way. It works for a while, but then your body develops an immunity to it and it's impossible to ever laugh at it again.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I cannot see anyone talk about obnoxious comics without thinking of Stewart Lee's "'I've got no material!' 'ah nevermind, just run around!'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVQuxAAKCYw

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Martman posted:

i.e. yelling extremely loud.

There are a lot of things about modern world that I don't understand and this is one of them. Why is it okay and popular to replace actual jokes with shouting and yelling?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Fish of hemp posted:

There are a lot of things about modern world that I don't understand and this is one of them. Why is it okay and popular to replace actual jokes with shouting and yelling?

People shouting and yelling has been the basis of some forms of comedy for millennia. It’s nothing new at all

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kit Walker posted:

People shouting and yelling has been the basis of some forms of comedy for millennia. It’s nothing new at all

See also Sam Kinison.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Martman posted:

One of his bits that would get huge laughs was that it would be crazy if you went to a party and poo poo on all the coats. That's it! That's the whole joke. His actual act was mostly taking stuff like that and just acting it out with a lot of moxie, i.e. yelling extremely loud.

But the crazy part is, it was actually funny! For a while. I'd agree he was a one-hit wonder in the sense that after a while, you realized pretty much all his jokes worked the exact same way. It works for a while, but then your body develops an immunity to it and it's impossible to ever laugh at it again.

For some reason one of the only Dane Cook bits I remember one that's a lot like this, and I actually really liked, but... in retrospect, I think is just him talking about an anxiety attack before we really started recognizing what that was. And definitely cloaked in that 'men don't have feelings, that's weird' kind of masculinity.

(Fair warning, out-of-nowhere F-slur, but only once)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8KQvVPrINs

Re-listening to it, it's still one of his best bits because it just nails every relatable part of that experience (hence why he named his greatest hits compilation after it, I guess), but thinking about it while re-listening... was Dane Cook okay? Because I've had those attacks A LOT, and I'm definitely not okay.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Oct 30, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm pretty sure I heard a comedian in the 70s say one of the oldest rules of standup was "If you can't be funny, be loud"

You can also replace "loud" with "coked out of your gourd" and "deliberately offensive".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah watch some 70s SNL. Half their skits are screaming

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pigbuster posted:

I cannot see anyone talk about obnoxious comics without thinking of Stewart Lee's "'I've got no material!' 'ah nevermind, just run around!'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVQuxAAKCYw

I saw him live in the late 90s and he was amazing - one of the best acts I've ever seen. But in the last ~10 years he's gone from telling jokes and meta jokes about jokes, to just bitching that things have changed or that other people have dared to be funny after him, and I'm not convinced it isn't at least partially sincere. He buries everything under so many layers of irony that nobody can tell when he's being serious or what's even supposed to be funny any more. He's now in that terrible position of being a comedian that's only funny to other comedians. I finally checked out when I saw his TV show a few years ago and one of the bits was literally just him saying the word "crisps" repeatedly for about six minutes.

...and yes there were multiple episodes where he runs out of material two minutes early and rather than edit the episode differently (because it's clearly multiple performances edited together) he just ends by stamping around and shouting.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Oct 30, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This all reminds me of Pablo Fransisco who had a mostly funny set with a few obnoxious bits, and then just abused substances and kept doing the same material until he fell off the radar.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Torquemada posted:

This all reminds me of Pablo Fransisco who had a mostly funny set with a few obnoxious bits, and then just abused substances and kept doing the same material until he fell off the radar.

His Comedy Central Presents was one of the best when it came out, then I can't think of anything funny from him afterward.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lots of posters disparaging the SuFi in this thread

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think Dane Cooks movies were so bad they sucked out any good will he had.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Truly the Pauly Shore of his time

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tokelau All Star posted:

His Comedy Central Presents was one of the best when it came out, then I can't think of anything funny from him afterward.

There are a string of late 90s and early 2000s Comedy Central Presents that I remember loving and NEVER HEARING from any one of those comedians again.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Tokelau All Star posted:

I remember seeing him appear on... something else, maybe mind of mencia, doing the exact same material yet somehow the stuff that was hilarious on his CCP was now incredibly unfunny as he desperately tried to bring the magic back. I was just like whaaaat happened to youuuuu

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mooseontheloose posted:

There are a string of late 90s and early 2000s Comedy Central Presents that I remember loving and NEVER HEARING from any one of those comedians again.

I remember one with a dude doing a bit about how he was a very goofy and active child and the end of the bit is his mom hitting with her van

I cannot find it for the life of me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

londonarbuckle posted:

Truly the Pauly Shore of his time
The karate of stand-up comedy

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, Dane Cook was big on the shouty bits and bro humor, but some of it landed (and still does). My brother and I, to this day, crack each other up with bits from this skit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArhOn1CRzdc

It's harmless, really, and I don't think I want to go back and rewatch/listen to his old stuff, but there were occasional bits that just worked in their simplicity.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dane Cook is now, and I do not use this term lightly, cringey

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
more like olddaneless

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am surprised there isn't anything really bigotted from Jeff Foxworthy (not sure about the others like Larry the Cable guy, or was he smart enough to keep quiet once he got Disney money?), or maybe I don't follow his poo poo close enough. I remember his Redneck jokes were pretty family friendly kind of thing, don't think he used any racist terms, and while he is a conservative, he seems to be less fire and brimstone about religion. Or did he just fall under the "ABC Family funny, doesn't push any buttons or risk poo poo" kind of humor?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Speaking of washed up offensive comedians who I never found funny: whatever happened to Andrew Dice Clay? When I was in high school he was supposed to be the height of comedy, and I just never got it. "So you're a douchebag who takes the first 2 lines from a nursery rhyme, then adds some curse words. Brilliant!"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

He was in a serial killer movie with Kevin Costner in 2007, Mr Brooks. Kevin Costner bashed him in the face with a shovel before tossing him in a freshly-dug grave, and for that I will always love that movie :unsmith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am surprised there isn't anything really bigotted from Jeff Foxworthy (not sure about the others like Larry the Cable guy, or was he smart enough to keep quiet once he got Disney money?), or maybe I don't follow his poo poo close enough. I remember his Redneck jokes were pretty family friendly kind of thing, don't think he used any racist terms, and while he is a conservative, he seems to be less fire and brimstone about religion. Or did he just fall under the "ABC Family funny, doesn't push any buttons or risk poo poo" kind of humor?

I read one of Jeff Foxworthy's books once and there was a ton of queerphobia in the white redneck THE GAYS ARE GONNA rear end RAPE ME AND YOU way and some lovely jokes about trans people. So he probably knows when to turn it off and on, but he was pretty lovely.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Icon Of Sin posted:

He was in a serial killer movie with Kevin Costner in 2007, Mr Brooks. Kevin Costner bashed him in the face with a shovel before tossing him in a freshly-dug grave, and for that I will always love that movie :unsmith:

His character also pisses himself when he's actually brought along on a killing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Speaking of washed up offensive comedians who I never found funny: whatever happened to Andrew Dice Clay? When I was in high school he was supposed to be the height of comedy, and I just never got it. "So you're a douchebag who takes the first 2 lines from a nursery rhyme, then adds some curse words. Brilliant!"

He got into acting and was real good in A Star is Born?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Toshimo posted:

He got into acting and was real good in A Star is Born?
Nothing will ever take away how bad he was in Ford Fairlane

Nothing

He could cure cancer and he will still forever suck