Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Love this Feersum Endjinn future possibility, except instead of world-spanning computers we'll have decaying HGVs and abandoned Burger Kings.

Actually if it leaned more towards Dark Tower I could at least aspire to being killed by a Gunslinger
An old farmer that throws guns at people once we run out of primers and can't make any more.

e: A 125 is a 12½ foot dinghy that inspires fear in ham people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

For someone so fond of the Romans he has yet to follow "pacta sunt servanda".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So we'll all just be living in the centuries-old remnants of a globe-spanning empire with no real knowledge of how to keep the infrastructure they left us running?

So, once again, Warhammer 40k called it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't the 'fall of the Roman Empire' more a bunch of Byzantines lying about how the West had fallen to barbarians as an excuse to start wars against them

...no?

'In 476 Odoacer deposed Emperor Romulus Augustulus and declared himself rex Italiae (King of Italy)'. The Romans were very big on not having kings. At that point it's no longer the Empire. The fact that the chap nominally claims to be under Byzantine suzerainty (as long as they never actually ask him to do anything) does not mean the western empire did not fall. There were no more western Emperors.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That reminds me of a really obscure bit if 40K lore. The Emperor is supposed to be living in Earth guiding mankind. And he was St. George for a while and slew the Void Dragon.

Also he was born in Turkey and loves Kebabs.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

sinky posted:

Confirmed :rip: then

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/extra-bank-holiday-to-mark-the-queens-platinum-jubilee-in-2022

quote:

Plans for the Platinum Jubilee are being developed in conjunction with some of the UK’s leading creative minds, event organisers and world class digital design companies. Using the talents of the UK’s cultural and creative sectors, the programme will engage young people from across the Commonwealth and use new technology in exciting ways.

He probably has a junior minister desperately phoning around trying to get the deposits refunded on all of this stuff. It sounds expensive.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

sinky posted:

Confirmed :rip: then

the "very good form" is a gold-leaf-encrusted death certificate

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ah there's the hope then

it's possible the fall will be quick enough that the Earth can recover and some humanity might even survive with it

probably unlikely but possible

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Well it was more a (not very effective, apparently) joke about how all the poo poo being pumped into rivers is because most of the water infrastructure in this country is basically Victorian. We've swapped steam engines for electric motors but even then a lot of them are Edwardian, and it's perfectly possible for the newest thing a water molecule passes through in its journey from reservoir to the sea to be the Queen.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I never understood why people swam in rivers even pre-poo-dumping. When I was a child, in summer the local newspaper was always full of reports about people drowning or needing rescue from the river. In winter it switched to people being swept away rubbernecking at floodwaters. As a teenager working a Saturday job, I would eat my lunch sitting on a bench in the local urban park/former graveyard opposite the memorial to a young man who had drowned swimming in the river in the 1720s. Very strong "respect the river" vibes from all sides.

Except that on glorious week when Letters to the Editor were filled with complaints about the dead cow slowly floating downstream and why weren't farmers/the fire brigade/the council dropping everything to remove it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Earth, earthlife and probably humans will continue on for a longass time yet.
The biosphere as we know it is hosed though, eat fish and chips while you can

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lady Demelza posted:

I never understood why people swam in rivers even pre-poo-dumping.

Its so they can tell you they wild swim and how amazing it, and by extension, they are.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well it was more a (not very effective, apparently) joke about how all the poo poo being pumped into rivers is because most of the water infrastructure in this country is basically Victorian. We've swapped steam engines for electric motors but even then a lot of them are Edwardian, and it's perfectly possible for the newest thing a water molecule passes through in its journey from reservoir to the sea to be the Queen.

I used to work with Bazalgette's great grandson. Not the nicest of men.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Communist Thoughts posted:

Earth, earthlife and probably humans will continue on for a longass time yet.
The biosphere as we know it is hosed though, eat fish and chips while you can

The people saying this is the end of humanity are exaggerating big time. It'll merely compress food growing regions to a band to the north of today's habitable regions. There will be enough food to feed millions of people even in the worst case scenario.

Wait, there are how many humans?

Oh we didn't plan this well at all.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

I never understood why people swam in rivers even pre-poo-dumping. When I was a child, in summer the local newspaper was always full of reports about people drowning or needing rescue from the river. In winter it switched to people being swept away rubbernecking at floodwaters. As a teenager working a Saturday job, I would eat my lunch sitting on a bench in the local urban park/former graveyard opposite the memorial to a young man who had drowned swimming in the river in the 1720s. Very strong "respect the river" vibes from all sides.

Except that on glorious week when Letters to the Editor were filled with complaints about the dead cow slowly floating downstream and why weren't farmers/the fire brigade/the council dropping everything to remove it.

Because it’s fun

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

London only got its plumbing done because the stink of the Thames was so bad they had to perfume the curtains in the Houses of Parliament.
If it wasn't so close to a river, you may be still making GBS threads on a London street today.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

Swimming is fun and swimming pools (if they even exist at this point) cost money.

We were dumb enough to swim in the docks, where at least (as long as you were away from the impounding locks) there were no dodgy currents but there were big jagged bits of metal, burnt-out Jags last seen rushing away from Post Offices, and most memorably of all a giant chunk of concrete just under the water that snapped both of some kid's legs when he jumped off one of the old cranes.

Mind you even we weren't dumb enough to swim in the Thames itself, although I will always remember the kid who had to get pulled out of there by the old bill (who just for once *were* there when you needed them) because he was convinced this conduit:

was some kind of bridge or walkway or something and meant he could walk across the river at low tide. It wasn't (the river is 3 metres deep even at low tide at that point - the furthest downstream you can ford it is London Bridge, 4 miles upstream, and even then that's only at the very lowest of low tides). He couldn't even swim, but fortunately it was slack water so the current didn't just obliterate him.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

That reminds me of a really obscure bit if 40K lore. The Emperor is supposed to be living in Earth guiding mankind. And he was St. George for a while and slew the Void Dragon.

Also he was born in Turkey and loves Kebabs.

The Emperor loving a cheeky doner and garlic sauce is definitely old school 90s 40k before they got all po faced and serious about their fascism.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soylent Yellow posted:

He probably has a junior minister desperately phoning around trying to get the deposits refunded on all of this stuff. It sounds expensive.

Like someone else said, they'll just rebrand it and make that the coronation date. Whatever happened to that 'Festival of Brexit' anyway?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Whatever happened to that 'Festival of Brexit' anyway?

Didn't that already happen

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Counterpoint: swimming is not fun. Swimming involves wearing uncomfortably revealing clothing, either getting into cold water or climbing out of warm water into cold air, being unable to see properly without my glasses, and suffering that excrutiating toe cramp you only ever get climbing out of the water.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I would never go wild swimming when you can get pools with wave machines and lazy rivers, whats even the point of nature at this stage?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

the article handwaves away by saying yes electricity is expensive now, but it might not be in the future thanks to falling renewable costs.
Falling renewable costs will absolutely never be passed on to the consumer, just the shareholders.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I've been known to swim in the river near my house occasionally but it's cold as gently caress and you get muddy feet on your way out.

Pool is better even though it costs a few quid.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm guessing most public swimming pools are basically toilets in comparison to rivers. I'm glad I was so obvious to stuff like that as a kid.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lady Demelza posted:

Counterpoint: swimming is not fun. Swimming involves wearing uncomfortably revealing clothing, either getting into cold water or climbing out of warm water into cold air, being unable to see properly without my glasses, and suffering that excrutiating toe cramp you only ever get climbing out of the water.

TBH just go into the sea wear a t-shirt & sweatpants. Hell, last time I went in the sea (admittedly this was 2 decades or more ago) I had shoes on too, coz the beach here is awffy stony. Also live within 5 minutes walk of the beach so you can get in the shower almost as soon as you get out of the water. That's my advice.

Does anyone put glasses lenses in swimming goggles? That'd be pretty useful.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, you can get prescription goggles. I don't think they're even that expensive, definitely cheaper than an average pair of specs.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Counterpoint: Swimming in the sea and rivers (when clean) is ace, and so much nicer than a pool due to the lack of chlorine.

Wild swimming is a poo poo, pretentious term though. It's just swimming.

I wear beach shoes when swimming here because the beach is very stony and shelley, and I have a thing I put over my swim suit that has midlength arms and legs, so I don't feel exposed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A shell suit?

feedmegin posted:

...no?

'In 476 Odoacer deposed Emperor Romulus Augustulus and declared himself rex Italiae (King of Italy)'. The Romans were very big on not having kings. At that point it's no longer the Empire. The fact that the chap nominally claims to be under Byzantine suzerainty (as long as they never actually ask him to do anything) does not mean the western empire did not fall. There were no more western Emperors.
Surely Rome is more like a successor state than a 'fall' under Theodoric though, there's people in Rome itself just carrying on as normal, there's a bunch of bishops saying that Rome has 'risen from the ashes' into a 'new golden age', most of the internal admin side is still running in Latin through de facto the same institutions, and there's military victories around the Adriatic in the name of Rome, so there's still some aspects of continuation compared to the mess that Justinian left behind when he set half of Italy on fire? Like 'different guy at the top and some buildings get rededicated' is far less like a fall than 'decades of eating weeds and mice to survive among the ruins because some dick decided a Pyrrhic victory at your expense was worth it to save you from ???' (Climate change will be the latter type of fall.)

Jippa posted:

I'm guessing most public swimming pools are basically toilets in comparison to rivers.
They seem to have mostly been turned into urbex photo opportunities and nazi gang meeting venues now.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

When I was on holiday in cornwall as a child in the 80's, I discovered a strange sea creature in a rockpool. I fished it out with my hands and excitedly carried it back to my parents.

"Mum! Dad! Look at this. What is it?"

"It's a human poo Stuart."

There used to be a raw mainline sewage pipe in Marazion/Penzance

Those nostalgic days are now back with us.

In other news, I have a new tea bag thing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Poo Pirate Of Penzance

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

fuctifino posted:

No ring?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

When I was on holiday in cornwall as a child in the 80's, I discovered a strange sea creature in a rockpool. I fished it out with my hands and excitedly carried it back to my parents.

"Mum! Dad! Look at this. What is it?"

"It's a human poo Stuart."

There used to be a raw mainline sewage pipe in Marazion/Penzance

Those nostalgic days are now back with us.

You appear to have blood in your stool, go see a doctor.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
(edit: speaking of turds) The SWP turned up at today's protest against the BBC in Manchester today. They've got some nerve, as most of the protest were happy to remind them.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Apparently while digging on the beach looking for shells as a wee one in Cornwall I pulled up a piece of rusted sewage pipe and thinking it was the largest shell I'd ever seen I screamed "Holy krakatoa" at the top of my lungs as I didn't know any swears.

I then got told off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The SWP are experts in sexual predators entering venues where they're not wanted.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

"Holy krakatoa"

drat that's a good oath

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Surely Rome is more like a successor state than a 'fall' under Theodoric though, there's people in Rome itself just carrying on as normal, there's a bunch of bishops saying that Rome has 'risen from the ashes' into a 'new golden age', most of the internal admin side is still running in Latin through de facto the same institutions, and there's military victories around the Adriatic in the name of Rome, so there's still some aspects of continuation compared to the mess that Justinian left behind when he set half of Italy on fire? Like 'different guy at the top and some buildings get rededicated' is far less like a fall than 'decades of eating weeds and mice to survive among the ruins because some dick decided a Pyrrhic victory at your expense was worth it to save you from ???' (Climate change will be the latter type of fall.)

It's a kingdom. It makes no bones about being a kingdom. A successor state is not the previous state. Continuity of some aspects of the previous state (for how long, btw? of course they keep the previous administrative setup at first but it's not going to last) is not the same thing unless you happen to think the modern Vatican City is the Western Roman Empire. The Western Roman Empire fell. There was a Kingdom of Italy that took its place, but it still fell. That the other half of the Roman Empire might want it back is not too surprising. That they ultimately failed, well, they didn't know that when they invaded.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah, you can get prescription goggles. I don't think they're even that expensive, definitely cheaper than an average pair of specs.

Prescription goggles are a pro move. Cost about £20 max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ICanFilmThat/status/1454467351903092739

The place has been evacuated due to a suspicious package

e: nvm. False alarm.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 30, 2021