Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
That bread looks amazing, Horchata.

Ok so I went with my current favourite again for high-altitude baking, the old 'Flour Water Salt Yeast poolish bread'. I put some king arthur grains in it, 1/4 of a cup, and added a tablespoon of water because of that.

Due to being in Denver, about 5400 feet, I went with the various tips on the king arthur high altitude baking page:
-extra flour due to altitude: 2 tbsp
-used bread flour instead of AP
-extra water (1 tbsp for the grains, 3 I think for the altitude)
-.75 the amount of yeast.

In the end it had a bit of an anemic rise but tasted good as always. Pictured on a drying rack because someone 'put away' my cooling racks in a place I couldn't find them.

redreader fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Out of context, that looked like some amazing mold.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My sourdough starter, Samwise Gamgee, turned 2 today!

This time last year I was feeding it by flashlight in the aftermath of an ice storm and didn't get to bake anything celebratory. Luckily this year we had good weather!

To mark the occasion, we made my favorite bread, whole wheat and rye sourdough pizza. (Also added what's probably my last basil harvest.)

(Non-dairy pizza is more like bread with sauce and stuff, but we want to feel like we're eating pizza anyway so we call it that. When I can I add the little mozzarella pearls for cheese and it's even better.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

effika posted:

My sourdough starter, Samwise Gamgee, turned 2 today!

This time last year I was feeding it by flashlight in the aftermath of an ice storm and didn't get to bake anything celebratory. Luckily this year we had good weather!

To mark the occasion, we made my favorite bread, whole wheat and rye sourdough pizza. (Also added what's probably my last basil harvest.)

(Non-dairy pizza is more like bread with sauce and stuff, but we want to feel like we're eating pizza anyway so we call it that. When I can I add the little mozzarella pearls for cheese and it's even better.)

Pre-lockdown? You're saying you did it before it was cool.

I'm about to make sourdough pizza dough again, and I want to go over a few things as I find it's often quite difficult or coax it our into a good size round without tearing or something. I use the Perfect Loaf recipe, which says it should make 2 12" pizzas. My cast iron pan is more like 10" inches and I can't seem to make it meet the edge all the way around.

I'm in the UK so maybe our flour is different, I use Allinson's bread floor mostly. Maybe increase the hydration a bit?

I'm also probably going to look at stones. Is there's much in it between a pizza stone or cooking on cast iron? I do feel the cast iron pan makes moving the pizza around a lot easier

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pre-lockdown? You're saying you did it before it was cool.

I'm about to make sourdough pizza dough again, and I want to go over a few things as I find it's often quite difficult or coax it our into a good size round without tearing or something. I use the Perfect Loaf recipe, which says it should make 2 12" pizzas. My cast iron pan is more like 10" inches and I can't seem to make it meet the edge all the way around.

I'm in the UK so maybe our flour is different, I use Allinson's bread floor mostly. Maybe increase the hydration a bit?

I'm also probably going to look at stones. Is there's much in it between a pizza stone or cooking on cast iron? I do feel the cast iron pan makes moving the pizza around a lot easier

Thanks! Yes, I started keeping it when it was only moderately cool, not a must-have.

Take the rest of my post with a grain of salt, because I am not a Pizza Guy. The method below gets me what I like with the least amount of effort.

I use King Arthur AP flours, so the protein content is probably a little different. I can't be bothered to keep special pizza flour on hand. I use a 14" cast iron pizza skillet and just bake one pizza on it. I used to try to stretch everything out to two pizzas but unless I get the dough just right it's annoying. For me, pizza is about being fun and easy, so I keep it on one pan. Here's my recipe:

• 250g flours of some kind
  • 200g water (so 80% hydration)
  • 0-1tsp yeast, depending on if I'm using sourdough discard or active starter, how long I have for it to rise, etc
  • .5tsp salt
  • .5tsp sugar (helps it brown)

When I use starter, my flours end up around 80g whole wheat (my starter is whole wheat), 30g rye, 140g white. I love rye and would add more, but it makes the dough kind of hard to work with at higher percentages. I've done 100% whole wheat pizza doughs and really like them, but my husband prefers the airier crust using blend of white & wheat makes, so that's what I usually do.

Combine water, starter/yeast, salt, and sugar. Once homogenized, add the rest of the flour. Stir/handle until it begins to act as a cohesive mass and fights the spoon a bit. (I have RSI issues so I don't knead it.) Cover and leave somewhere to rise for a while. When it seems ready, oil your hands and do a bunch of stretch and folds until it is a nice springy ball of dough. ("Ready" is at least 4 hours, but I've gone 12-14 hours at cool room temperature or sometimes I just leave it in the fridge for a day or two-- this is all based on how much yeast you add and a host of other proofing variables). Shape the dough using whatever method sounds fun. Put the shaped pizza on parchment paper (I do not have the dexterity for pizza peels). Now, put the pizza iron in the oven and set it to 450F, and leave everything for another 30 minutes-1 hour while you prep your sauce, ingredients, etc. (The iron needs at least 30m to get hot and the dough needs to relax/rise a little more.) Put the parchment paper/pizza combo on to the pizza iron, cook for 10m, add sauce and toppings, and cook for 10m more. (If I had a hotter oven I wouldn't need to parcook it before adding stuff, but this way it isn't soggy.)

It's not authentic and the Pizza Police would probably come after me, but the dough always ends up with a lovely tangy taste that complements a good pizza sauce nicely.

effika fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 30, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
looking for more advice here again :) I never got a fantastic rise, apart from one single time, using Flour Water Salt Yeast recipes at sea-level. Now that I'm in Denver at 5400 feet I get about the same level of rise as I was getting in San Jose, after I add 2 more tbsps of flour, 3 of water and harvest grains (Which need about 1 of those 3 tbsp extra of water). I also use KA bread flour instead of AP, bake at 475 instead of 450, and bake for less time as well as using .75 of the yeast in the recipe.

Someone mentioned earlier that the Flour Water Salt Yeast recipes are actually no-knead and I looked into that and yes that is correct! So I want to make poolish or biga white bread with actual kneading. I am currently doing, again and again, the, I think it's called 'white harvest poolish bread' recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast. I have a stand mixer with a dough hook. Should I just.... mix it with the dough hook instead of doing his pinch and fold technique and see how that goes? What does the thread think of dough hooks in general? I've never used one myself. How do you know when it's done?

Also, my oven has a proofing setting which seems to be at 100 degrees (although I'm sure I can manually just say 'bake' at 80, if that's better?) and it got a great rise out of my shaped loaf, the best I've ever seen in fact (probably too much) but when I tried to transfer it from the banneton with cloth, to the dutch oven, a bunch of dough was stuck to the fabric of the banneton and that meant that the loaf was actually quite deflated in the end and I got the worst rise with the loaf that I've ever seen, because of the lovely transfer and broken dough. I had rubbed the banneton with flour beforehand but that wasn't enough it seems. Maybe I needed to proof it a bit less, or at a lower temperature, and also to add a ton more flour? What a fuckup. At least it tasted good.

edit: I had the fabric on the proofing basket... should I or should I leave it off?

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 3, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I notice too that my dough is particularly sticky if I artificially rise it. I had the same issue with bannetons.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Is this thread specific to yeast-risen bread? What about quick breads/muffins and the like?

If so, what are folks' feelings about oat flour? Where does it shine? I picked some up when I went to get semolina and bread flour for pizza. I recall using it in college for muffins but depression is a hell of a drug and I can't remember how it turned out. I know oats don't have gluten, so you can't do 100% oat breads, but I was thinking of subbing in some for a batch of muffins before trying something more involved (sweet rolls? coffee cake?)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Never having worked with oat flour, that sounds like a good idea. Muffins have plenty of other things beside gluten to stick together.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A bit ago, I asked for advice on how to stop my sourdough splashing around in the dutch oven, resulting in a pretty unpleasant frisbee-type bread. And the comments were right, I was both under-folding it and over-proofing it. It's not phenomenal now, but I'm pretty happy w/ it. It's wide enough that you can spread something on it now, anyway.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

gently caress that looks good.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Mr. Squishy posted:

A bit ago, I asked for advice on how to stop my sourdough splashing around in the dutch oven, resulting in a pretty unpleasant frisbee-type bread. And the comments were right, I was both under-folding it and over-proofing it. It's not phenomenal now, but I'm pretty happy w/ it. It's wide enough that you can spread something on it now, anyway.

I need this in my life, with salted butter.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

would

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

New bread just dropped

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Can anyone recommend a quick and easy dinner roll/bun recipe? Smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow and thought it might be fun to make some.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey guys, did you know sourdough bread has all these critters that'll dramatically lower the glycemic index and gluten in the dough? :smithicide:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7023033267389598982

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

10 Beers posted:

Can anyone recommend a quick and easy dinner roll/bun recipe? Smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow and thought it might be fun to make some.

This may not be as quick as you like, but I highly recommend these:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pull-apart-sour-cream-and-chive-rolls/amp

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey guys, did you know sourdough bread has all these critters that'll dramatically lower the glycemic index and gluten in the dough? :smithicide:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7023033267389598982

Glycemic index I understand, but maybe I’m dumb because I don’t understand what he means by it having LESS gluten when most of the work in making sourdough is trying to develop more gluten?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dacap posted:

Glycemic index I understand, but maybe I’m dumb because I don’t understand what he means by it having LESS gluten when most of the work in making sourdough is trying to develop more gluten?

Always follow the money:

quote:

How much does it cost? Receive personalized recipes every day, unlimited printable menus and smart grocery lists, full nutritional analysis for every meal, on-demand help from food coaches 7 days a week, exclusive evidence-based advice from the Blue Zones team, and so much more for $14/month or $99/year.

The Blue Zones Meal Planner

Just another snake oil salesman.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not clicking the vid but lactic acid breaks down gluten. That's probably all.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Ok, saying it makes gluten more digestible is one thing, calling it 99% gluten free is just a complete lie.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dem blisters…

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody have much experience making submarine rolls or hoagies or whatever? I am trying to get to there from baguettes in a wood fired oven. I ain't getting it. I think I need twice the dough of a baguette. I also have been failing at getting the structure that would hold up. I find high-hydration dough wants to flop outwards and I have to act like I was trying to make ciabatta instead.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody have much experience making submarine rolls or hoagies or whatever? I am trying to get to there from baguettes in a wood fired oven. I ain't getting it. I think I need twice the dough of a baguette. I also have been failing at getting the structure that would hold up. I find high-hydration dough wants to flop outwards and I have to act like I was trying to make ciabatta instead.

Ciabatta subs are delicious, but my bakery doesn't make them very often. :(

Not sure how easy they would be for you to acquire, but you can get 10 piece@12" silicone liners. They might help for your situation. The bakery I worked at would use them for special orders on top of the normal preform sub pans.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

bolind posted:

Dem blisters…

Got far enough into the loaf for a crumb shot now

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I use a recipe similar to this for my sub rolls (I've tweaked this recipe for me because I don't want as many rolls at one time):
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/nola-style-french-bread-rolls-recipe

Here's what mine end up looking like:

beerinator fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 6, 2021

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Those look great. I think those being slightly wider and shallower makes a good bread-to-filling ratio if you want to make a really stacked Italian sub

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dacap posted:

This may not be as quick as you like, but I highly recommend these:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pull-apart-sour-cream-and-chive-rolls/amp

Thanks! Ended up not making any, but I'm going to keep these in mind!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The eternal irony of bread making is that the loaves you make as gifts always turn out better than the ones for yourself

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dacap posted:

The eternal irony of bread making is that the loaves you make as gifts always turn out better than the ones for yourself

Please gift one to me

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Back on my bullshit, trying out some prairie hard red flour.

The texture of the dough was completely different than I’m used to, and felt really strong while working with it.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 19, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have a friend coming for thanksgiving with mild gluten sensitivity. Ive read sourdough can be ok for mild sensitivity, but I don't have time before Thursday to make a starter. If I do a regular artisan loaf and just let it rise in the fridge for two days will that have the same effect?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'd be surprised if you can find anybody here that's a real authority on that. I was just looking this up myself and discovered fructan intolerance, which is what a lot of people who think they have a gluten intolerance actually have--if bread merely pounds their gut and makes them fart a paragraph or two. The impression I got is that it's both the wild critters and the slow fermentation together that are doing it, but I was getting a lot of bullshit vibes looking it up. Like, the kind of vibe you get seeing something being called a superfood on the cover of a magazine in the checkout line at the supermarket.

Apparently fructan intolerance didn't get much attention until recently so I was pretty surprised to see this at all.

If I were in that kind of situation then I'd be shamelessly trying to get some sourdough in a jar from some bakery. "Hey do you have some sourdough? No not the bread... the dough!" Buy some donuts or whatever too.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

I have a friend coming for thanksgiving with mild gluten sensitivity. Ive read sourdough can be ok for mild sensitivity, but I don't have time before Thursday to make a starter. If I do a regular artisan loaf and just let it rise in the fridge for two days will that have the same effect?

I would not take that risk to be honest. There are also a lot of health bloggers on social media who I think are overselling how much sourdough is okay for people with gluten intolerances

My fiancée has a mild one related to another condition, and my sourdough with a more mature starter can still negatively effect her in a flare up.

A regular artisan loaf made with yeast will not be better for people with intolerances

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I would agree. Maybe if it was your own diet, it might be worth while experimenting. But for other people I would interpret any sort of gluten intolerence as an instruction not to serve them gluten at all.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

On further research I'm just going to make a regular boule for stuffing and get some gluten free flour to make a separate bowl of stuffing for her

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are Heritage grains that would probably have a larger impact

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Hey, is there anyway I could use a tangzhong (water and flour slurry) to make my pain de campagne dough easier to shape and handle while maintaining the same hydration levels? I'm willing to experiment, I'm just not sure if there's something about the use of tangzhong that will make the crust less snappy.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Recommend a good starting resource for learning to bake bread. I'd like to learn how to make a delicious chewy boule with a nice crust. I make pizza dough and am experienced with baking pastries and quick breads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

Recommend a good starting resource for learning to bake bread. I'd like to learn how to make a delicious chewy boule with a nice crust. I make pizza dough and am experienced with baking pastries and quick breads

https://www.amazon.com/52-Loaves-William-Alexander-ebook/dp/B005W9SMMW