Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sanford posted:

Christ alive here we go on the moon cup derail again. Or is that one for pissing into?

really feel like the lip is going to make things uncomfortable but i’m not a vagina haver so can’t speak with authority here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my mother that I wouldn't have been late to school if I wasn't so busy being a parent?

quote:

I (16M) live with my sister (20F), my mother (40sF), my grandfather (70sM), my younger brother (12M) and my cat.

My mother works as a veterinarian so she's the main breadwinner of the house, which I really appreciate of her. I work as a fast food place and have found myself absolutely swamped with things - I have school and work, I am in charge of breakfast and dinner, in charge of grocery shopping and making sure the house is clean and the laundry is done. I am frequently late for school because I have to drive my brother to school, and sometimes have to leave early for work.

My mother is so exhausted by the time she gets home from work that she just either goes to sleep or plays her Sims game. My sister is a college student so she doesn't have a lot of time to do anything. But I'm just so frustrated that I have to care for my younger brother and half senile grandfather and the cat while juggling everything else. I was late for school today and the school called my mother, who was expectedly pissed at me.

We began to argue because she expected better than this and I told her that if I wasn't so busy being a parent, then I wouldn't have been late for school. I struck a nerve and she looked close to tears and told me that I have to learn how to be an adult somehow and she's just trying to teach me responsibility and that I was acting like a child, which made me feel really bad. She works really hard and I feel like what I said was maybe out of line.

oh honey no she isn't

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for chopping down the trees in my backyard even though my neighbor liked them and asked me not to?

bbbbbbut i want to have my cake, AND eat it too!!

Yeah NTA. If you want the tree why start off as a raging rear end in a top hat? I would to the same just to not have to deal with them anymore

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

AceClown posted:

I'm 42 and have never eaten lobster. No idea why, I love seafood, just never had it.

I've had lobster and you're not missing much. I mean, it's like a giant shrimp as far as taste and texture but a little milder and a little softer? Sometimes it's hard to tell under all the garlic butter. But it's not some kind of orgasmic food. Crab legs are about the same, just harder to get into. As far as seafood I really prefer shrimp, fried softshell crab or mussels unless it's in a sushi because then eel is the loving best.

The best lobster I ever had was on a lobster, bacon and arugula pizza. It was fantastic.

All that being said, I've never had oysters. I have watched a ton of food people try them and rave about them but the texture just looks horrific. I honestly think I would try them but I would gag 100% on trying to swallow it. I'd try them but none of my friends are food adventurers. They are all of the very safe food people so like, I'm the adventurous one ordering Indian food, ffs, it's just spicy chicken and spicy gravy plus rice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drake meme no -> Catgirls
Drake meme yes -> Catboys

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Nice try but everyone knows gas station sushi is not a real thing and is just a harmful stereotype about the states.

I live in Atlantic Canada and we have gas station lobster. It's a common thing during lobster season to see someone parked at a gas station and selling live lobster from the back of their truck. Best lobster too since it's usually fresh off the boat that morning and cheaper by a few bucks a pound compared to the local markets.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

mediaphage posted:

really feel like the lip is going to make things uncomfortable but i’m not a vagina haver so can’t speak with authority here

Oh no, you need the rim so you can make sure it's really wedged up in there.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my brother he is a bad host?

You could just buy him some kind of coffee rig as a cheeky thank you gift or I guess you could also be a giant baby about not having coffee for 2 days.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DrManiac posted:

Yeah NTA. If you want the tree why start off as a raging rear end in a top hat? I would to the same just to not have to deal with them anymore

I was kind of amazed that apparently if a leaf becomes big enough, now it's your responsbility to clean it out of a neighboring yard.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

I live in Atlantic Canada and we have gas station lobster. It's a common thing during lobster season to see someone parked at a gas station and selling live lobster from the back of their truck. Best lobster too since it's usually fresh off the boat that morning and cheaper by a few bucks a pound compared to the local markets.

I saw your first sentence and immediately pictured a bunch of cooked lobsters flopping around on hot dog rollers beneath a heat lamp.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Not in any way defending coffee hand biter, but caffeine withdrawal isn't a fun time, it makes you nasty and snappy and a lot of people don't realise why.

It's the reason survival shows go to poo poo within the first few days, people just can't cope with it.

That being said, lol, just get some caffeine tablets and suck it up.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

greazeball posted:

You could just buy him some kind of coffee rig as a cheeky thank you gift or I guess you could also be a giant baby about not having coffee for 2 days.

AceClown posted:

Not in any way defending coffee hand biter, but caffeine withdrawal isn't a fun time, it makes you nasty and snappy and a lot of people don't realise why.

It's the reason survival shows go to poo poo within the first few days, people just can't cope with it.

That being said, lol, just get some caffeine tablets and suck it up.

I don't understand what's wing with just bringing your own? Is it considered some tactical insult in some guest rules book?

I know i like tea and am kinda weird so i just bring my own stuff, then as long as i can get boiled water i'm good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Maiden posted:

They were uploaded at the same time and the uploader hosed up the names and now it's long standing forums lore(aka a joke).

It was actually intentional. One of them was being iterated on in a live thread so some troll bought the other one under the name the thread was hoping to use for it. Nothing to do but finish perfecting it and then buy it under the name that would have been more appropriate for the other one. I just don't remember which was which.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

I always forget that having a kettle isn't a normal in America. Or quick access to a corner shop. I don't really know how you guys live without corner shops.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Canuckistan posted:

That’s not gas station lobster. You’re describing truck lobster, which is a real and legitimate business, unlike gas station lobster/sushi which is a mean-spirited urban legend.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sugar mouse posted:

I always forget that having a kettle isn't a normal in America. Or quick access to a corner shop. I don't really know how you guys live without corner shops.

Convenience Stores, Convenis, Bodegas, etc. exist in major metropolitan areas in the US. They do not exist in the vast, sprawling hell that is rural and suburban America

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my brother he is a bad host?

There's no nice way to say it, in this situation the guest's job is to shut the gently caress up about anything they don't like and say "thank you" a lot.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cerepol posted:

I don't understand what's wing with just bringing your own? Is it considered some tactical insult in some guest rules book?

I know i like tea and am kinda weird so i just bring my own stuff, then as long as i can get boiled water i'm good.

one of my friends always brings coffee over because we both agree that mine is basically paint thinner

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

sugar mouse posted:

It's absolutely normal to have a kettle in the US.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Barudak posted:

Convenience Stores, Convenis, Bodegas, etc. exist in major metropolitan areas in the US. They do not exist in the vast, sprawling hell that is rural and suburban America

There you go to Wal Mart, which is like a convenience store with a glandular problem that doesn't wash its balls.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my mother that I wouldn't have been late to school if I wasn't so busy being a parent?

oh honey no she isn't

Learning how to fob off responsibility on someone who can't refuse is a central part of learning responsibility, OP should get cracking on making the 12 year old take care of him

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

greazeball posted:

You could just buy him some kind of coffee rig as a cheeky thank you gift
As someone just like OP's brother who doesn't drink coffee, I can tell you exactly what happens when someone gifts you a coffee maker you neither want nor need "because everybody should have a coffee maker".

1.) The coffee maker gets tossed in the back of a cabinet or some top shelf of a closet (possibly still in the box) because it's not worth wasting counter space on something that you'll never use.
2.) It is then forgotten about for months or years until you have someone over who asks for coffee and remember it...but of course, you still don't have coffee grinds because why the hell would you, it still doesn't get used.
3.) Eventually, you move to a new place and either throw it in the trash or donate it, having never once used it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

As someone just like OP's brother who doesn't drink coffee, I can tell you exactly what happens when someone gifts you a coffee maker you neither want nor need "because everybody should have a coffee maker".

1.) The coffee maker gets tossed in the back of a cabinet or some top shelf of a closet (possibly still in the box) because it's not worth wasting counter space on something that you'll never use.
2.) It is then forgotten about for months or years until you have someone over who asks for coffee and remember it...but of course, you still don't have coffee grinds because why the hell would you, it still doesn't get used.
3.) Eventually, you move to a new place and either throw it in the trash or donate it, having never once used it.

I have family that escalated by leaving me with all the equipment plus vacuum sealed coffee to avoid any possibility I not have what they want when they show up. I responded by moving out of the country a few months later, before they ever had a chance to visit me again.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Okay it’s not the host’s responsibility to provide coffee since he doesn’t drink it. But who the hell doesn’t have a single mug? No hot drinks ever???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Okay it’s not the host’s responsibility to provide coffee since he doesn’t drink it. But who the hell doesn’t have a single mug? No hot drinks ever???

I don't own a mug. If you want a hot drink, pour it into the tea cups, the kettle is for speed running congee.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I feel like OP would have seen a tea cup and acknowledged the ability to drink coffee out of it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Barudak posted:

I have family that escalated by leaving me with all the equipment plus vacuum sealed coffee to avoid any possibility I not have what they want when they show up. I responded by moving out of the country a few months later, before they ever had a chance to visit me again.

If someone pulled this poo poo I would simply take to leaving an oxy on their pillow like a hotel mint to help them find a less bullshit addiction

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Wait some people just own 'tea cups'' like it's 1900? I drink both coffee and tea and use mugs for both. Mugs are my warm fluid dispenser, also good for hot chocolate the one time a year it's made. The idea of some special cup just for tea is so weird to me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mx. posted:

I (16M) live with my sister (20F), my mother (40sF), my grandfather (70sM), my younger brother (12M) and my cat.

No age listed for cat, 2/10

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If someone pulled this poo poo I would simply take to leaving an oxy on their pillow like a hotel mint to help them find a less bullshit addiction

gently caress you and your coffee addiction, Gramma, we boof ayahuasca in this house

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Don't talk to me before I've had my black drink

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Wait some people just own 'tea cups'' like it's 1900? I drink both coffee and tea and use mugs for both. Mugs are my warm fluid dispenser, also good for hot chocolate the one time a year it's made. The idea of some special cup just for tea is so weird to me.

I mean, I have small handleless chinese style teacups that hold like maybe 50ml if you over filled them.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

empty sea posted:

I've had lobster and you're not missing much. I mean, it's like a giant shrimp as far as taste and texture but a little milder and a little softer? Sometimes it's hard to tell under all the garlic butter. But it's not some kind of orgasmic food. Crab legs are about the same, just harder to get into. As far as seafood I really prefer shrimp, fried softshell crab or mussels unless it's in a sushi because then eel is the loving best.

The best lobster I ever had was on a lobster, bacon and arugula pizza. It was fantastic.

All that being said, I've never had oysters. I have watched a ton of food people try them and rave about them but the texture just looks horrific. I honestly think I would try them but I would gag 100% on trying to swallow it. I'd try them but none of my friends are food adventurers. They are all of the very safe food people so like, I'm the adventurous one ordering Indian food, ffs, it's just spicy chicken and spicy gravy plus rice.

I had lobster for the first time this year (that I remember) and while the meat bit was okay, the sauce I made from the shell bits was fantastic. And that was a pretty fresh one too.

Oysters are tasty - and if you eat mussels, then oysters will be fine.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Tea cups suck. You barely get a couple of mouthfuls and you have to go pour another cup.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not having a traditional wedding even though my fiance wants one?

quote:

My fiance and I met in 2016 at a mutual friend's wedding. We became friends but things didn't turn romantic until I moved to his home country. He loves my culture a lot, so I try to involve him in it as much as I can.

We are planning our wedding right now and he keeps insisting that we have a traditional wedding. I've explained to him that I do not want a traditional wedding because the way it favours the man bothers me. I tried to compromise by updating the ceremony, he doesn't want to compromise because "it won't be authentic".

He decided to go behind my back and involve my mother in planning the traditional wedding of his dreams. I was livid and I told him either he respects my wishes about the traditional wedding or there will be no wedding.

My family thinks I'm being too harsh and that this is his only chance to have a wedding like this so I should go through with the ceremony.

AITA?

EDIT: A traditional wedding in my culture involves the payment of bride price, a virginity test, and my father or head of house relinquishing his authority over me to my husband.

Wow, I see a long marriage here.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Nice try but everyone knows gas station sushi is not a real thing and is just a harmful stereotype about the states.

I’ve eaten gas station sushi on a Christmas Day and the next year on New Year’s Day

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

gently caress you and your coffee addiction, Gramma, we boof ayahuasca in this house

Why can't you just shelve your pingas like a normal person?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Obligatory request of the story where the woman was expected to allow all the male members of her fiancé’s family to inspect her hymen before the wedding.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

24 hour gas stations with a convenience store exist in most places, and they’re mildly acceptable?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cowslips Warren posted:

Those are the bullshit kind of traditions. Good traditions are about a sense of continuity with the past, helping give weight and meaning to a momentous occasion. They help people feel closer together by partaking in a shared ritual all the parties know and accept.

We don't hear much about those kinds of traditions though except when people break them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

empty sea posted:

I've had lobster and you're not missing much. I mean, it's like a giant shrimp as far as taste and texture but a little milder and a little softer? Sometimes it's hard to tell under all the garlic butter.

I was going to give you poo poo for the garlic butter, which seems kind of overpowering for lobster, but then I remembered the time I had "lobster pie" which is lobster meat in a dish topped with melted butter and garlic ritz crackers. It was so good I went into a weird trance where I only remember eating the pie, and how tasty it was. No memory of surroundings or conversation from the time I started to the time I finished.

Anyways, vintage Dear Prudence, Edgelord Roommate Edition

quote:

Dear Prudence,

I’ve been living with my roommate, “Leanne,” for three weeks. I thought she was a hipster who put up pictures of old indie rock stars on her wall. Then my friend came to our dorm and told me the dudes in her pictures were serial killers: Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, Ed Gein. I freaked out and asked Leanne to take them down, but she refuses. She won’t explain why she put the pictures up, which also freaks me out.

I hate looking at pictures of these evil people and have been spending nights in my friends’ dorms. I have to wait to transfer rooms until there’s an opening. Leanne and I barely talk now. I’m not someone who enjoys horror films, and I get scared easily. I want to be comfortable in my room, and I’m not sure how to do that. Am I being immature for not getting over this?

quote:

It is very reasonable and not at all immature to say, “I don’t want pictures of serial killers all over my walls.” By no standard of the maturation process is it reasonable to say, “By such-and-such an age, you must feel extremely comfortable falling asleep under a poster of Ed Gein.” If your roommate isn’t willing to compromise, then I think it’s worth involving an RA or your university’s housing office. She can look at serial killers all she likes, just not on the walls you two have to share. —D.L.