Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I guess the day of use that I need to reball them much further in advance and let them get another bit of a rise inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That seems to work for me, yeah, but like I said my pies are seldom perfect circles even doing that

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm less worried about that shape as I am the creases and folds I induce in the dough when I first handle them. They make it tougher to handle and stretch. Is that just part of the character of hand-tossed pizza?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I ferment each ball in its own tupperware so I don't have that problem, but if you're doing multiple balls in a single container, are you using a bench scraper to divide and pull them out?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Lots of awesome pizzas in this thread!

Yesterday I finally joined the Ooni crowd and tried out my new Koda. Unfortunately it came not working, so I had to disassemble the bottom and tighten and clean the thermocouple. But then it thankfully worked great, and I was able to try it out.

Holy poo poo it cooks fast! For someone used to doing a standard 500F oven, doing a pizza at 900+ is crazy fast. This was my first pizza after only 30 seconds or so:

And here was my second pizza, I tried out a few different cheeses and toppings to see how they worked. It wasn't perfect by any means and I have a long way to go, but man it was good. I am going to work on my shaping and launching, but this is a really cool gadget and I am loving it so far.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I use some flat plastic containers I got from the restaurant supply store to hold multiple dough balls at a time. I scrape them out with a plastic dough scraper.

This weekend, I will separate and scrape them out between two containers the morning before I bake. I'm assuming/hoping that'll give them some time to recover. I thought about flouring them but I think that'll just dry out the side contacting the flour. I have some baking couches but I haven't figured out how I might use them in this case.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i keep mine individual in 32oz delitainers

bacon and a bunch of mushrooms

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Going off script for this one

tinga de pollo, chipotle + lime salsa, mozz, jalapenos, tortilla chips + hot sauce on a neapolitan base

The tortilla chips look like this is some amateur hour poo poo but the corn flavour from them I think is needed, makes a world of difference.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StarkingBarfish posted:

Going off script for this one

tinga de pollo, chipotle + lime salsa, mozz, jalapenos, tortilla chips + hot sauce on a neapolitan base

The tortilla chips look like this is some amateur hour poo poo but the corn flavour from them I think is needed, makes a world of difference.

gently caress yes.

One of the pizza joints near me does a pie tangentially similar to this with cotija and a chipotle crema that owns bones.

Also, chipotle crema is stupid simple to make.

You know what you must do.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
That looks great, maybe just crumble the tortilla chips into small crumbs and sprinkle them on there with a little lime juice and cilantro. Wonder if you could do something with polenta to add some corn flavour...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

large hands posted:

That looks great, maybe just crumble the tortilla chips into small crumbs and sprinkle them on there with a little lime juice and cilantro. Wonder if you could do something with polenta to add some corn flavour...

I’ve been known to add Masa to my dough (25g to 375g flour) and then also use masa when I’m stretching. Adds a nice subtle corn flavor between the two and doesn’t seem to interfere with the dough at all. Alternatively, just mix up some quick masa dough and pinch out little pieces and top like anything else, or toss them into the oven for 45s or so until you have tiny tortilla pieces to top with. Flavor and texture is going to be really nice compared to the jagged glass texture of broken tortilla chips.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jhet posted:

I’ve been known to add Masa to my dough (25g to 375g flour) and then also use masa when I’m stretching. Adds a nice subtle corn flavor between the two and doesn’t seem to interfere with the dough at all. Alternatively, just mix up some quick masa dough and pinch out little pieces and top like anything else, or toss them into the oven for 45s or so until you have tiny tortilla pieces to top with. Flavor and texture is going to be really nice compared to the jagged glass texture of broken tortilla chips.

Good suggestion- I reckon a little masa in the flour is the better of these two, both of which are better than tortilla chip garnish up there.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Masa, of course, why didn't I think of that lol

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
pizza~~~

Margarita. husband and I are experimenting with a bread flour + semolina crust. Quick rise (2 hours), fresh basil, no-name mozzarella, sauce made from garden tomatoes. 500 degree old electric oven + a stone.

recipe mostly pulled from here

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 31, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Looks tasty, how was the bottom?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Mister Facetious posted:

Looks tasty, how was the bottom?

Bottom was... ok. We used quick grits for non-stickiness (was what we had on hand). Wasn't crispy, was pleasantly chewy, not especially bready. The outer crust had some crispy and chewy. Non-ideal texture, but getting there.

This is our... 5th attempt I believe. We're on the right track, but definitely still on the hunt for everything that will up our technique.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Some dope looking pies on this page, Spoke Joe I like that bacon and mushroom jammer.
Celebrating Halloween with a super garlic-y pizza my wife came up with.
Garlic parmesan ranch base, garlic oil, roasted garlic, parm, mozzarella, and chili crisp to finish.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Having made another batch of the NYC dough, what's the best way to pan-pizza-fy it?

Pull it out 2 hours before bake as ususal, oil the pan, and finger press it and stretch it until it fills the pan then top and bake?

I'm normally used to doing the no knead in the pan cold ferment and proof, so i'm having some brain farting.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

When you're all doing a 3+ day ferment, do you do any significant amount of fermentation at room temperature?

Semi-related for you long fermenters, much of your ferment time is spent bulk fermenting and how much is spent fermenting after balling the dough?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

When you're all doing a 3+ day ferment, do you do any significant amount of fermentation at room temperature?

Semi-related for you long fermenters, much of your ferment time is spent bulk fermenting and how much is spent fermenting after balling the dough?

I mix the dough and do a bulk rise on the counter for 4 hours, then ball it into separate containers to go into the fridge for around 4 days usually (usually make a batch Sunday afternoon, and make the first pies Thursday night and freeze the other dough balls). The first rise usually grows about 3-4x. Even after knocking it down when balling them up, I end up punching them down again after a day or two in the fridge.

This is with active dry yeast - I'm procrastinating incorporating my sourdough into it, but I would probably do a longer counter rise in the beginning with that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

I do an overnight bulk ferment at room temperature, and then ball for individual pies and fridge for 3-4 days (well one goes into the fridge and the rest go in the freezer, to come out 3-4 days before pizza day). I typically do pizzas on the weekend so I make my dough on a Monday, put in fridge on Tuesday, and bake Friday or Saturday.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I like my ny pizza dough with a 3 day cold ferment, but I kinda wanna try something different…still NY style because that’s all my wife likes, but maybe using my sourdough starter?

Any suggestions?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mix in some whole wheat/rye up to fifteen percent for a real nice change in flavors and texture.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

toplitzin posted:

Having made another batch of the NYC dough, what's the best way to pan-pizza-fy it?

Pull it out 2 hours before bake as ususal, oil the pan, and finger press it and stretch it until it fills the pan then top and bake?

I'm normally used to doing the no knead in the pan cold ferment and proof, so i'm having some brain farting.

This is how I, a not-pan-pizza expert, would do it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

toplitzin posted:

Mix in some whole wheat/rye up to fifteen percent for a real nice change in flavors and texture.

Yeah maybe I’ll try that. I’ve been using sir Lancelot flour and lately it just doesn’t seem to have much taste to it. I dunno if the flour is just old or what the deal is.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I do my dough with some sourdough starter, then separate and ball up before it starts to rise at all. It will cold ferment anywhere between 2-6 days depending on when I actually got to it. After previous discussions, I tried taking them out, reforming the balls, and letting them warm up and rise outside the fridge starting six hours before the bake. That dough handled very well.

I generally use King Arthur's AP flour that I boost with gluten to give it an extra 1% gluten.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

How much gluten do you need for a good crust? For my last dough, I switched from all-purpose flour to a 60-40 mix of semolina and bread flour, and the difference was absolutely night and day. It went from fluffy, weakly flavored and difficult to stretch to a good body, easily thin stretched with a good depth of flavor.

Do flours actually list their protein content? Is this something I can find?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
KA lists it on their packaging

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I decided to brush some lye on the crust and added some salt to pretzelfy it. it was a good idea

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PokeJoe posted:

I decided to brush some lye on the crust and added some salt to pretzelfy it. it was a good idea

wow goddamn, looks awesome

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

PokeJoe posted:

Looks v good!!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Straight fire, love the pretzel crust.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HolHorsejob posted:

How much gluten do you need for a good crust? For my last dough, I switched from all-purpose flour to a 60-40 mix of semolina and bread flour, and the difference was absolutely night and day. It went from fluffy, weakly flavored and difficult to stretch to a good body, easily thin stretched with a good depth of flavor.

Do flours actually list their protein content? Is this something I can find?

I hear all kinds of ranges on gluten for pizza generally from 9% to 12%. Here's one article that has a larger spread that surprised me:
https://www.pmq.com/suffering-from-sub-par-pizza-it-may-be-time-to-take-a-second-look-at-your-flour/

I always though Neapolitan pizzas were demanding of gluten and was surprised about New York style gunning for even higher. I think my round of dough balls is going to get a tweak.

I tend to us all-purpose and boost with vital wheat gluten. It's derived from semolina but without the color. Good flours will spell out the protein content for you on the packaging, and they'll even have data sheets online; I particularly get curious about ash content in hipster flours since higher values means it'll hog water and like to burn. You can infer the protein content on more generic flour by looking at the nutrition information, but then you're playing games with the serving size and the variation you can get out of that. I don't think it's precise enough.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Sausage and smoked moz on a white base. Maybe not the prettiest, but omg delicious.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

PokeJoe posted:

That looks incredible. What are the toppings? Sausage, mushroom, onion?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Overnight ferment on the dough. More bread flour than semolina. Bottom is homemade pesto sauce, mozzarella, parm, tomatoes, and shallot confit. Top is classic margarita. Both were absolutely transcendent.

E: how do you get a crust with good chewiness and delicate crisp to it? My crusts stretch well and have pretty good texture, but they could be better in that dept.

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 7, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dacap posted:

That looks incredible. What are the toppings? Sausage, mushroom, onion?

Yeah, it's a bunch of different mushrooms, caramelized onion, and sausage patties torn into chunks. The cheese is cheddar and mozzarella with a little parm under it. Regular red sauce.

I want to make maybe a Philly cheese steak pizza with cheese goo sauce and pretzel crust sometime

HolHorsejob posted:

E: how do you get a crust with good chewiness and delicate crisp to it? My crusts stretch well and have pretty good texture, but they could be better in that dept.

You can get crisper crust in a few ways, higher temp, longer bake, add some egg to the dough. What is your recipe and baking process like?

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 7, 2021

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

Switching up your flour will also achieve different textures and chews. Keep check on your dough temp and timing.

Margherita I made for a small video shoot, the benefits of nice lighting.

A big ol' NYC style cheese pizza for a kids party the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Tomorrow I think I'm going to try to prepare a 15% gluten bread dough for doing a more genuine NY pizza. Is there anything I should keep in mind with working with this and handling it?