Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/denis-villeneuve-dune-part-2-theatrical-window-non-negotiable-1234675222/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I hope he delays the release if he needs it. I hope Warner Bros. lets him

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

One thing that'll be less impressive in Part Two is due to one of the weirdest and most unnecessary changes in Part One - the Shield Wall just being a small wall instead of a massive geographic feature. Blowing it up with Atomics just won't be as cool as it could be.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

welp looks like i'm locked in this thread with all you screaching gimpsuit blue within blue jizz matrefuckers for another two years lets loving go :byodood: :ibadpop:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Shitposts within shitposts

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

welp looks like i'm locked in this thread with all you screaching gimpsuit blue within blue jizz matrefuckers for another two years lets loving go :byodood: :ibadpop:

Just noticed the worm in the background

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

Just noticed the worm in the background

I didn't notice it until my second viewing. The bad compositing of his face always drew my attention.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That’s a bad shot tbh. Epic trailer pose

I was really hoping to see the shrine of Leto’s skull in this movie. It’s such a great image from the book and they even kept the line, but didn’t show me the skull! What the gently caress!!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

!Klams posted:

The scene where Mapes gives Jessica the knife, and Jessica is kinda feeling her way through the interaction while prepping the guard with battle language is so loving good!

An interesting tid bit: In the book, if someone drew a crysknife, they are expected to draw blood from it. In that scene, no blood came about, but at the end, after Paul and Jamis' duel, you see Fremen drawing their crysknives and cutting their wrists.

Soul Dentist posted:

Ranked:
1. Dune
2. GEoD
3. Heretics
4. Messiah
5. CoD
6. Chapterhouse

Congratulations. I'm reading through Messiah now. Is the series worth reading in its entirety, or can one stop after GEoD?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Armauk posted:

An interesting tid bit: In the book, if someone drew a crysknife, they are expected to draw blood from it. In that scene, no blood came about, but at the end, after Paul and Jamis' duel, you see Fremen drawing their crysknives and cutting their wrists.

Congratulations. I'm reading through Messiah now. Is the series worth reading in its entirety, or can one stop after GEoD?

Absolutely stop after God Emperor.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Absolutely stop after God Emperor.

And miss out on vaginal pulses per second???!!?!?!!!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Armauk posted:

Some weirdos really like Heretics. You might be one of those weirdos! If you love all four of the first books I would say go for it. I think it also depends on which books you enjoyed. Like, if GEoD is your favorite, 5 and 6 might seem kinda lame. If you love Dune the most, then you might enjoy 5. I’m with most people that 1-4 are on a different level than 5-6. The overall story of 5-6 was interesting but I found them incredibly hard to get through, Chapterhouse especially.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Keep reading until you stop liking it, wherever that is.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Guys I did it. I read this entire thread front to back. From the first string of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes to the first mention of thigh pads to the next set of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes to movie rumors to Simpsons/KotH memes and third set of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes. On through the movie coming out and people seeing it in theaters where it was too dark and missing the point somehow and mostly fanboys geeking out all the way to now.

That may sound critical but it was an excellent read and I am so glad to be here at the end.

Ranked:
1. Dune
2. GEoD
3. Heretics
4. Messiah
5. CoD
6. Chapterhouse

And DUNC is better than Lynch's although I enjoy them both as mostly a SF and Dune fan (rather than cinema fan)

Unprocessed spice should be blue/violet and the gas should be orange.

*Sexily free climbs a wall out*

You're welcome.

And I'm sorry.

And I'm proud of you.

And your ranking of Heretics and CoD need to be reversed, you absolute thigh jerky piss water

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kiimo posted:

You're welcome.

And I'm sorry.

And I'm proud of you.

And your ranking of Heretics and CoD need to be reversed, you absolute thigh jerky piss water

Sorry, but CoD commits the mortal sin of being boring as gently caress

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The end is the second best ending in the entire series.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Telling people to stop reading before the Honored Matres show up smdh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm going to read dune and then stop. Wish me luck

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

:ibadpop:

You missed the jokes about Dune: Desert Planet and variants - those are my favorite part of the entire thread, although I think when I read through it, it was only like 100 pages.

Yeah I liked those and honestly all the sitcom title jokes too. At almost every derail, however, someone would mention stillsuit function and "rerail" the thread quickly back to talking about poop.

haha I wonder what the seitch smells like haha

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jewmanji posted:

Some weirdos really like Heretics. You might be one of those weirdos! If you love all four of the first books I would say go for it. I think it also depends on which books you enjoyed. Like, if GEoD is your favorite, 5 and 6 might seem kinda lame. If you love Dune the most, then you might enjoy 5. I’m with most people that 1-4 are on a different level than 5-6. The overall story of 5-6 was interesting but I found them incredibly hard to get through, Chapterhouse especially.

Heretics has fun stuff in it, like Teg and chairdogs.

I mean, it's practically schlock, but it's fun.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Armauk posted:

I don't understand all this prescriptivist stuff about not reading some of the books. Like, are you curious about what happens next? Keep reading! All of Frank's books are at least good.

The correct way to acquire the books is for a dollar or less at a used book store so it's not like there's a barrier to entry.

Caveat: If you're still curious at the end of Chapterhouse then you're S.O.L. because no other books exist in the Dune universe

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can't wait for Villeneuve to write and film Dune 7 from scratch.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The thought of Brian Herbert and KJA getting producer credits on a Dune movie would just ruin me

I already have one failson in a beloved franchise with eugene roddenberry, I don't need another

itry
Aug 23, 2019

sebmojo posted:

Now I want a fremen version of :hai:

An attempt

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Drone posted:

The thought of Brian Herbert and KJA getting producer credits on a Dune movie would just ruin me

I already have one failson in a beloved franchise with eugene roddenberry, I don't need another

I have some bad news for you.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

itry posted:

An attempt

White eyes? Like a soft offworlder?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

FBS posted:

White eyes? Like a soft offworlder?

Should be light blue. It was missing a layer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

kalel posted:

I'm going to read dune and then stop. Wish me luck

ah, another cultured gentleman

good luck!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder if the new movie will go back and fill in some of the blanks like The Two Towers did. That would be nice. Like mentats and more Piter and Feyd and the Guild and Emperor.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Disappointed there's not a CHOAM Gang gangtag.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

kiimo posted:

I wonder if the new movie will go back and fill in some of the blanks like The Two Towers did. That would be nice. Like mentats and more Piter and Feyd and the Guild and Emperor.

Yeah It'll be interesting to see where they put the time jump. There are some pretty significant scenes that have to take place before we jump ahead. The Feyd fight can be moved in isolation but the Baron/Fenring convo (probably Baron/Mohiam in the film) has to take place at the same time, which is after the jump. In my mind the Feyd fight is the perfect opener to redefine/up the stakes, and would make a nice emotional counterpart to the Jamis funeral (if we see it), so maybe all the Paul/Jessica/Fremen scenes will be flashbacks? I'm sure they'll make it work but it's an interesting problem.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Drone posted:

Disappointed there's not a CHOAM Gang gangtag.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CHOOM GANG

CHOAM GANG

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

The Bloop posted:

CHOOM GANG

CHOAM GANG

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Groovelord Neato posted:

One thing that'll be less impressive in Part Two is due to one of the weirdest and most unnecessary changes in Part One - the Shield Wall just being a small wall instead of a massive geographic feature. Blowing it up with Atomics just won't be as cool as it could be.

Maybe I mistook the whole of arakeen for the shield wall but it seemed pretty goddamn huge to me

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Bloop posted:

CHOOM GANG

CHOAM GANG

choad gang next

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think it likely there will be a laser/shield reaction that will take out lot more than the shield wall instead of trying to introduce the family atomics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure there was a “CHOAM Gang” / “witches get sietches” gang tag a few hundred pages back somewhere.