Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for getting noodles despite my wife's disapproval?

quote:

Though I personally disagree with my username but I'll take whatever judgement comes out of this.

So, ready to eat noodles are officially banned from our house by my wife. Her argument is that since she cooks for me and the kids healthy and fresh meals daily then there's no needs to waste money and eat frozen foods. Also she says frozen foods are unhealthy and for single people only.

The kids and I love eating noodles. Yes we eat it outside the house but eversince I lost my job I've been required to stay home to help with our youngest son. My wife reacts very negatively when she catches us with any noodles products inside the house. To her that's offensive and disrespectful to her.

Yesterday I was in the bedroom scrolling my phone when my 13yo son walked and offered me Maggie cuppa mosala noodles in exchange of the new wifi password since he was grounded and had no internet access. I agreed but only for him to use the internet for just 1 hour and thats it. I entered the password and logged into our wifi network in his phone and then he walked out. But my wife clearly caught him and brought him back to me to ask why I gave him the wifi password. She immediately spotted the noodles cup before I got to hide it. She gasped and got all dramatic yelling " wtf what are you doing with noodles on my bed!!!!?" Like she caught me in bed with someone not something!. I played along and told her this wasn't what she thought was and she went off on me calling me an rear end in a top hat with no sense of responsibility nor respect for her and encouraging our son to disrespect the rules and evade punishment. I defended myself saying she needed to loosen up on those strict rules because it's just noodles!. She kept yelling after I refused to surrounder the noodles and insisting on eating it regardless of what she said. She changed the wifi password and me and our son were denied access for the next 3 days. I called her ridiculous for punishing me as if I was a kid and over some noodles. She descirbed my behavior as childish and that I made our son evade punishment by giving him the password despite telling her he was the one who offered me noodles. She responded this is why I'm "being punished too".

She's been treating us with silence after this and acting passive aggressively when I try to discuss the matter with her.

AITA or is she being unreasonable?

Wife is weird about the noodles but also I hate when people focus on some irrelevant point and pretend that's the entire problem. Actual problem is not the noodles, it's you taking bribes to let your kids out of punishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean that sounds like a shitshow all around - changing the wifi password so your spouse can't connect?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Piell posted:

Wife is weird about the noodles but also I hate when people focus on some irrelevant point and pretend that's the entire problem. Actual problem is not the noodles, it's you taking bribes to let your kids out of punishments.

The actual actual problem is that his wife treats him like a child and he talks about her like she's his mother

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

kalel posted:

The actual actual problem is that his wife treats him like a child and he talks about her like she's his mother

All signs of a very healthy relationship!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

All signs of a very healthy relationship!

Well look, how else are healthy relationship is supposed to work? She can't be a bangmaid once she has a kid! Now she's a mom!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

coronatae posted:

I was going to give you poo poo for the garlic butter, which seems kind of overpowering for lobster, but then I remembered the time I had "lobster pie" which is lobster meat in a dish topped with melted butter and garlic ritz crackers. It was so good I went into a weird trance where I only remember eating the pie, and how tasty it was. No memory of surroundings or conversation from the time I started to the time I finished.

Anyways, vintage Dear Prudence, Edgelord Roommate Edition

You can tell these people are college freshmen, anyone halfway mature would compromise by taking down the Ed Gein poster and putting up their collection of magazine pictures of models with the eyes and mouths clipped out

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for getting mad at a co worker for putting their food on top my food in a microwave?

quote:

I was at work and I put my Tupperware in a microwave for 2 mins. There's 4 microwaves total, me and another person was using it so there's 2 microwaves not being used. I backed off a bit because there's straws and cups on the counter, I just don't want to hold anyone up while waiting.

So about a minute in, this woman, about 50ish years old, opens my microwabe and puts a bag of some sort on top of my lunch container. I tell her to stop and I step in. She just tells me "30 seconds 30 seconds". And I said "there's 2 microwaves not being used. You're being weird for touching me food". Some pulls her bag out and puts in the microwave not being used. I just tell her that it's rude and weird to touch someone else's food especially during covid.

AITA for being defensive over my food?

:wtc:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Breetai posted:

The Boss in Saint's Row 3 is canonically a super buff black lady in a business suit with a Russian accent to me because why make a generic white dude who looks like me when I could make something more interesting in my power fantasy about bitchslapping gang members with a 4 foot long purple floppy dong?
Jokerfied Amanda Waller.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for getting mad at a co worker for putting their food on top my food in a microwave?

:wtc:

I would not give her the opportunity to remove her food, i would instead help her by femoving it from the microwave and throwing it in the loving garbage

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Piell posted:

I refused to surrounder the noodles

Beans must never be in jeopardy, noodles never surrendered.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Microwave coworker sounds like they have a particular type of cutting-corners inertia, where they see the microwave going and think 'I'll just put it in for 30 seconds and get it out' because hitting the door button twice is quicker and easier than setting one going themselves. Even if microwaves are already relatively easy to use, some people live their lives looking for the fewest amount of actions in any given task and only deviating if someone pushes back (which at that point makes the easier route just doing it themselves).

Pretty much the surest way to get a mooch off is to become a greater nuisance to them than whatever they were trying to get from you. As soon as they have to invest more time into interacting with you than just doing it, they'll bail.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 30, 2021

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my mother that I wouldn't have been late to school if I wasn't so busy being a parent?

I (16M) live with my sister (20F), my mother (40sF), my grandfather (70sM), my younger brother (12M) and my cat.

Hard to get a final resolution for this particular grievance due to OP's oversight of failing to provide the most vital piece of information which is the gender and the biological age of their cat.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Microwave coworker sounds like they have a particular type of cutting-corners inertia, where they see the microwave going and think 'I'll just put it in for 30 seconds and get it out' because hitting the door button twice is quicker and easier than setting one going themselves. Even if microwaves are already relatively easy to use, some people live their lives looking for the fewest amount of actions in any given task and only deviating if someone pushes back (which at that point makes the easier route just doing it themselves)

It could be a (daft) power saving tip. Microwaving multiple meals means less use of microwaves.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I guess, people can be poundwise and pennyfoolish about the strangest things. Being concerned with the level of energy expended in 30 seconds of microwaving seems like a good way to live an anxious life.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

It's absolutely normal to have a kettle in the US.

It's also very normal not to have a kettle in the US, especially since electric ones are less efficient on lower voltages.

Nobody is ever going to convince me boiling water in the microwave doesnt get identical results without requiring a separate appliance.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's also very normal not to have a kettle in the US, especially since electric ones are less efficient on lower voltages.

Nobody is ever going to convince me boiling water in the microwave doesnt get identical results without requiring a separate appliance.

Let's put it this way: putting the kettle on for tea makes you cultured, even if it's an electric kettle. Microwaving any foodstuff makes you a philistine, even if it's just water.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But you need a separate appliance - the jug that you fill with water and put in the microwave?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You can microwave water in the mug I'm pretty sure

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for asking my husband and in-law's to watch how they talk about the daughter I'm pregnant with in front of our 3 year old daughter?

quote:

I have a 3 year old daughter with my husband and I am expecting our second daughter in a couple of months. It has brought up some trauma for me that I need to deal with, I know, but I also want to stop history from repeating itself.

When I was 5 my parents had my brother and when I was 7 my sister was born. My parents did not handle adding a child on very well and were pretty bad with me, and a little with my brother but mostly me. I was no longer a priority once he was born. I was almost like a roommate. One they could easily forget. My sisters first Christmas they brought my siblings to see Santa. Forgot me at home and didn't realize for 3 hours. Mom called on the payphone to make sure they forgot me at home and not somewhere else. Took them an hour to get back because they stopped for food on the way home. And never made it up to me. When I graduated high school they prioritized my sisters dance recital over my graduation ceremony and the biggest kick in the balls was I was diagnosed with dyslexia at 16 and graduating was a miracle of sorts. Which brings me to when I was 13 and my English teacher suspected something was up. She and the principal tried to meet with my parents and they didn't show up on four different occasions. Never called to say or anything, just left them waiting, because my brother had baseball and my sister had dance class. I was 19 when I talked to my parents and they told me I had stopped being their priority when my brother was born. They said you can only have one priority.

I never believed that. But then I noticed when I announced my second pregnancy, everything became about that. Our daughter got overlooked. Even my husband. He promised to play with her one Saturday when he was off work and then he decided the crib needed to go up instead. My in-law's have babysat for us and have a room at the house for our daughter, their only grandchild. Last time she was there the whole room was turned into a nursery with a small bed for her to one side, none of the toys she loved there anymore, none of the fun stuff they had painted on the walls. Everyone talks about this baby all the time. And she gets way less time now, way less interest in her. And it freaks me out. I don't want her to be me. And I don't want to do the opposite to try and combat the risk of her feeling less important.

I spoke to my husband first and he was taken aback but realized I was right, his family were less receptive. They told me I was an rear end in a top hat for projecting so much and accusing them of being monsters. They also told me I shouldn't try to dictate their behavior or what they do with their own home.

I feel bad. It's caused a lot of issues. My husband is by my side. But did I gently caress this up? AITA?

When my nephew was 8/9, his half brother was born, and J went from being the first and only grandchild in two extended families to the second one. It was clear right off so much attention was on his stepmom's baby, and I am surprised he didn't act out a lot more. When I got notice about the birth, I sent the usual gift (baby wipes, I think) to the family...and a box of Legos for J as a Big Brother present. His stepmom, my SIL, texted me to thank me for that; apparently she was the only other person who got him a big brother/welcome the new baby home present, and it helped J not feel so replaced or looked over.

So for the next few years I always made sure to send something small to J when O had a birthday party, even just a Lego minifig pack.

I mean, not quite the same thing, but I know with pets, bringing a new one home, many people tend to ignore the not-new dog in favor of the puppy. And animals will show their displeasure a lot quicker than people will.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Brawnfire posted:

i've talked to more than one person who was convinced that the water just wouldn't be the same

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brawnfire posted:

Depends on the mug but they usually say if they can’t

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Brawnfire posted:

Doesn't that make the mug scalding hot?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

limp_cheese posted:

Doesn't that make the mug scalding hot?

no, unless you got a metal mug or something

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've found ceramics in the microwave to be a mixed bag. Some just get warm, some get very hot. Something about the material (I mean yeah, by definition, I just don't know what)? Anyway, it depends on what you've got.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, my dad makes tea in the mug that way. (And reheats it if it gets cold.)

It seems... so wrong. He's got a perfectly good kettle dammit!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Foo Diddley posted:

i've talked to more than one person who was convinced that the water just wouldn't be the same

Those people are called morons.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

There’s a risk of water exploding in your face if it’s been microwaved. But I’m not sure how likely that is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

There’s a risk of water exploding in your face if it’s been microwaved. But I’m not sure how likely that is.

Depends on the mug it's in.

You can heat water to just above boiling in a microwave without it actually bubbling much if it's in a very very smooth container. As soon as you disturb it it will start rolling/boiling. That's why the standard advice for microwaving water in a pyrex measuring cup is to leave a chopstick in it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My brothers Swiss wife refuses to use a microwave and won't have tea with microwaved water. Whenever they visit my mom has to bring out a kettle for them to use on the stove top.

She was happy when they visited me and found I have an electric kettle. I suppose it doesn't work as quickly as in Europe, but it gets water boiling fast enough & was free

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Dazerbeams posted:

you have to have a perfectly, *perfectly* smooth surface, so that the water gets boiling hot but doesn't actually boil because there's no place for a bubble to form. and then when you touch the water it can suddenly form bubbles and BLAM!

anyway it's not real likely to happen outside of a laboratory

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Foo Diddley posted:

you have to have a perfectly, *perfectly* smooth surface, so that the water gets boiling hot but doesn't actually boil because there's no place for a bubble to form. and then when you touch the water it can suddenly form bubbles and BLAM!

I did it once when I was testing a new microwave and hadn't put the carousel/plate in yet.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Foo Diddley posted:

It definitely does happen though.

https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...microwave-ovens

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA For not agreeing on what my fiance wants to do on our wedding day?

quote:

My fiance (M31) and I (F27) are getting married next month. He was with his ex of 5+ years. They had plans to get married but she wasn't faithful and left him for another guy. My fiance was devastated and also bitter. He hates her guts and always talks trash about her and it's annoying but he says he's just venting sincd he's a victim.

Last week he told me he & the "gang" aka his friends came up with a plan to make our big day extra special/funny. I was all ears open to listen but once he said he wanted to drive by his ex's house and do the middle finger sign from the car window I was weireded out instantly. He explained that he wanted to do this for "closure" after everything that b put him through and as a gently caress you since he's found me and ended up with me because the Lord loves him to give him that. I asked how he was going to do it and he said I will be there with him in the car after we leave the venue and His friends will be driving ahead of us and honk to get the ex's attention. I was blown away by the level of pettiness he and friends had to plan this. I said absolutely won't agree on this stupid idea and let him turn our wedding day that supposed to be about him & I turn into a petty game between him and his ex besides this is so disrespectful and might get the cops called on us.

He said I was being oversensitive and that this wasn't about me. None of it was about me and that he's the one who's been wronged and he gets to choose how to deal with the hurt he's endured. Adding that I should be encouraging him to seek "closure" and thought this was the perfect way to do it and since he is the groom then his wishes should be respected.

We been going back and forth on this issue and he keeps calling me unsupportive. AITA?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

coronatae posted:

Anyways, vintage Dear Prudence, Edgelord Roommate Edition

roommate with serial killers on the walls
The debilitating evolution of a fetish is always heartbreaking to see. It starts innocently, liking Bad Boys and putting up posters of men riding motorcycles, and the next thing you know it's Evil Men and you have to explain that your Hitler portrait isn't because you're a neo-nazi, you just can't get off without staring at a mass murderer.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ad090 posted:

this guy sounds sane and reasonable and like he is totally in on this new relationship

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ad090 posted:

The actions of a man that has moved on and definitely still doesn't love his ex.

She should ask him what would happen if it turns out his ex isn't home and doesn't get his "closure". Will the wedding day be ruined so they have to keep on getting married until the ex sees?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

ad090 posted:

"It isn't about you!" he screams about an event he wants them to do together immediately after getting married.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
microwaves essentially just agitate water molecules so it's fine to use them to heat water

but if you're doing anything that requires more than the mug to sit there full of hot water (for example, if you want to make pour-over brew), you're hosed with that method. microwaving single mugs of things is pretty limiting and being able to boil large amounts of water quickly in a kettle is really very convenient.

It also helps when you need to make more than one thing at a time - such as making meals of oatmeal or grits for a group, instead of individually microwaving them one at a time while everyone waits and eats them one-by-one. you just pour the boiled water over the waiting bowls, stir, and serve. Or if lots of people are planning on sharing some tea, you use the kettle rather than everyone microwaving an individual mug and sitting around waiting for each mug to be ready.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 30, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really miss the days before people learned the word closure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

The easy way to do this at home is to microwave the water twice. Microwave your water until it boils, let it cool off without taking it out, then microwave it again. Boiling the first time removes all the seed bubbles, boiling the second time superheats the fluid. It's absolutely possible to do it by accident if you're reheating coffee/tea and forget about it in the microwave.