Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/9550pro/status/1454086320301568005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the last Cinebench R20 result I have recorded here for my i5-10400 is ... 3,026

uhhhhhhh holy poo poo?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
R23 has been out for like a year, but then you could directly compare it to an m1

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I checked for reference: Anandtech has the 5900X at 8400 and the 5950X at 10100. On a core-count basis those look respectable, given some of the load is being carried by efficiency cores. But in those tests, Anandtech had the Ryzens peaking at 142W. Outside of 'space heater' jabs, they'll probably do ok on the desktop, but those efficiency cores are going to have to work magic in laptops.

The low end looks a lot more competitive relative to AMD so I expect more price pressure on the 5600X and 5800X.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 29, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Perplx posted:

R23 has been out for like a year, but then you could directly compare it to an m1

Where it would look...fine? There are already R23 benchmarks out there: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r23_multi_core-16

For multi-core:

Apple M1 Pro 10c / M1 Max: 12,400
10700K: 12,650
11700K: 15,000
12700K: 23,600
5950X: 28,600
12900K: 29,800

Admittedly unsure if that's with keeping the TDP to 125W or letting it run to 241W.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Perplx posted:

Most people still use R20 because R23s default behavior is the 10min loop and nobody likes that or cares enough to figure out how to turn it off.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The low end looks a lot more competitive relative to AMD so I expect more price pressure on the 5600X and 5800X.

Not until we get cheaper H boards and regular CPUs with sane power consumption limits.
This launch make no sense on desktop, insane wattages coupled with questionable 'efficiency' cores that may or may not even be detrimental to gaming loads.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

On top of a new memory platform, no less!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't help but be reminded of the clusterfuck that was Skylake on DDR3L and how Dell bet long on those and ended up with a whole orchard of buggy, error-prone, and under-performing lemon boxes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

sauer kraut posted:

Not until we get cheaper H boards and regular CPUs with sane power consumption limits.
This launch make no sense on desktop, insane wattages coupled with questionable 'efficiency' cores that may or may not even be detrimental to gaming loads.

The DDR4 board prices are extremely similar to the x570 boards they are competing against, and nobody really cares about power draw anymore.

Wait for reviews, but from the leaks you can easily see just by going to most benchmark results indexs now, at the volume parts (8 and 6 P cores), intel is likely going to give you better gaming performance, plus 4 extra coffee lake equivalent cores bolted on as a bonus for less money than the AMD equivalents (until they inevitably slash prices). Also PCIe 5, integrated 2.5g LAN, and optional DDR5 support.

“More performance for less price on more feature rich platform” doesn’t sound that confusing to me.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

As assinine as the default power settings are, if you care about power consumption it should take 30 seconds in the UEFI settings to fix (long duration power limit to 125w, tau to 58s or less).

At those settings, between the IPC improvements and the process shrink, I'd bet they can probably beat zen3 in efficiency.

I'm just hoping someone bothers to test it.

Edit: wait I did my math wrong - if those leaked numbers are accurate it's not enough to match AMD efficiency wise, at least multicore. They'd be stuck competing on value and 1c perf which means the k parts really do feel pretty DOA.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 30, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I have no doubt alder lake will be an excellent and fast CPU especially for gaming, but Intel really needs to get a grip on its power draw
We can only imagine if AMD decided to also juice the gently caress out of their CPUS, Intel may as well leave the game.
At this rate, even just the 3d vcache Zen 3s will catch up to alder lake in performance, while consuming far less power and not needing new motherboards. When the 12900 is barely faster than a 5950, you know Intel is having problems.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD already has juiced the gently caress out of their CPUs, 7nm just doesn’t scale that well on clocks. They could pour on the power and it would still only be 1-5% faster plus they’d also have a bunch of warranty failures in a couple years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I have no doubt alder lake will be an excellent and fast CPU especially for gaming, but Intel really needs to get a grip on its power draw
We can only imagine if AMD decided to also juice the gently caress out of their CPUS, Intel may as well leave the game.
At this rate, even just the 3d vcache Zen 3s will catch up to alder lake in performance, while consuming far less power and not needing new motherboards. When the 12900 is barely faster than a 5950, you know Intel is having problems.
I don't think thats the correct read, personally. Not that it matters really, but for the sake of argument, I have a 5950X and can confirm that "juicing the gently caress" out of current archs isnt gonna do it, ha. For all intents and purposes, this CPU is already juiced as far along as its voltage curve as makes any sense. Its probably a little too far along the curve honestly, in typical modern fashion.

And if you think Alder Lake or a 5950X is power hungry, baby, you aint seen nothin yet from AMD or Intel... the future for performance compute, including the stand alone gaming segment that they have carved out the last few years, is hot hot HOT. Like, we are talking 600w CPUs in the performance compute datacenter market, lol. The market wants new products once a year and with process improvement dying, they are going to throw power and silicon at the problem to make it happen, as Gelsinger tried to gloss over in his talk about Moores Law. Both AMD and Intel are going to heterogenous stacking, and both are turning up the power dial. For gaming, since they havent had much luck getting devs to use more compute, that silicon ends up being cache instead. It has been under reported but Intel has CRANKED the caches in Alder Lake.

Coffee Lake/9900k - 18mb combined L2+L3
Rocket Lake/11900k - 20mb
Alder Lake/12900k - 44mb

And we don't know really anything about the V-cache parts, so probably too early to make any projections there. Stacking more silicon on top is not going to be free, from a cost or power standpoint. And AMD might also respond to Alder Lake with big price cuts that make Zen3 more competitive too. The whole market swallowed the insane pricing lurches that AMD and Intel pulled the last few years. An 8700k was $320 at launch, which seems comical for the fastest gaming part in the world at launch.

As always, it doesn't matter which of these fuckin awful multinational companies "wins" and the only smart play is to buy what performs best for the money you have to spend. The market is going to start shifting much more radically than people have been used to the last few decades. AMD surprise dropping chiplets in Zen 2 was just the first salvo in a bizarre compute future.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's a finite amount of fab capacity in the world and Intel is still selling chips as fast as they can make them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I am prone to extreme bouts of hyperbole & exaggeration

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

AMD can't juice up due to their design. AMD's cpus pretty much hit a wall at the settings they ship with. Zen2/zen3 helped out quite a bit with where that wall is without increasing power draw by much.

Intel also ships with their CPUs more or less at a wall now, too. Designing CPUs is a tradeoff between size, power draw/heat, ipc, and frequency. AMD has really valued size & power draw* while trying to balance the other two. Intel is doing what they can with a design that favors frequency/ipc at the cost of trying to remain practical with size & heat.

That's an over simplification given lots of other things go into it, but it should give some idea of why the CPUs are limited in the ways they are. We also have to consider that AMD planned on going against Alder Lake / later CPUs with CPUs they've already released. Intel is way behind on their roadmap and it gave AMD a ton of breathing room to compete head to head with CPUs they planned on selling dirt cheap on a $/core or perf/watt basis vs Intel's superior performance. AMD is also slipping a bit vs their projected roadmap with zen3 having delays & zen4 coming out a year+ late.

* kinda, I mean the x570 chipset exists and amd's IO die is crazy power hungry

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 30, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I likely will be buying a new mobo and cpu soon. The asus AI overclocking seems interesting to me as a dipshit who still doesn't understand how to overclock. And I know people will say "Oh its not htat hard to understand" but I still don't really get it because I am dumb as a pile of rocks. Is the asus Ai overclock utitlity worth it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

At this point in the game, with modern CPUs, overclocking is becoming more trouble than it's worth. Gone are the days of getting an extra 20%+ extra by slapping on an AIO or Noctua. Nowadays getting close to that kind of gain requires delidding and liquid metal, and even then there's no guarantee.

Also, auto-overclocking utilities like ASUS' will often use more VCore than might be necessary for the OCs they apply.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Makes sense. I know Intel is coming out with new CPUs soon, but looking at current gen ones I'm confused why it seems like the more expensive ones actually have slower clock speeds?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

At this point in the game, with modern CPUs, overclocking is becoming more trouble than it's worth. Gone are the days of getting an extra 20%+ extra by slapping on an AIO or Noctua. Nowadays getting close to that kind of gain requires delidding and liquid metal, and even then there's no guarantee.

Also, auto-overclocking utilities like ASUS' will often use more VCore than might be necessary for the OCs they apply.

Man, it used to be a lot more than 20%. Q6600s shipped at 2.4ghz with no turbo, the vast majority were happy at 3ghz with a cheap Zalmann cooler on them, and many could do 3.3 or 3.4ghz.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Makes sense. I know Intel is coming out with new CPUs soon, but looking at current gen ones I'm confused why it seems like the more expensive ones actually have slower clock speeds?

The more expensive ones have more cores and thus are clocked lower to keep the package within thermal limits. The "Turbo Boost" clocks on the more expensive ones are higher but that doesn't necessarily apply to all cores. The other thing to keep in mind with Intel's newer chips is that they're utilizing a "Big/Little" architecture - it's Intel's first new architecture trick in a while, even though the concept isn't new. The 12900K has sixteen physical cores, but eight are "Performance" cores and the other eight are "Efficient" cores, and the chip has 24 threads. It's faster than the 5950X, but not by much and you probably won't have to heat the room it's in over the winter.

It's kind of a bad time to be buying a CPU right now, but if you have to...:shrug:. Intel's always been in the habit of ditching/modifying their socket designs with each new refresh, and AMD hasn't committed to Socket AM5 (which isn't out yet and probably won't be halfway through next year, if not later) being as long-lived as AM4 was. AM5 supposedly won't even launch with PCIe 5.0 (not that anything on a consumer board will get even CLOSE to the theoretical max of an x8 or x16 5.0 slot), and no one's yet done/published a review that shows if the new Intel chips suffer a performance hit using DDR4 over DDR5, the latter costing ~3x+ what DDR4 does right now.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 31, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The processors these days OC themselves, if you add more cooling they’ll happily run faster without you having to do anything. If you want to fiddle with stuff try and get stable RAM OC on AMD, otherwise just adding more cooling will give you the performance you needed fiddling for.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

Man, it used to be a lot more than 20%. Q6600s shipped at 2.4ghz with no turbo, the vast majority were happy at 3ghz with a cheap Zalmann cooler on them, and many could do 3.3 or 3.4ghz.

Celeron 300A set to 450, never forget

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cygni posted:

2600K crew checking in. When I finally complete my Threadripper build (lol never custom water cool), I'm putting it + my P8P67 in a shadow box frame on the wall. It's been at 4.5 or 4.6 GHz for almost a decade now.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Cygni posted:

My first computer, when I was 9. Never forget.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Excessive moore's-law-still-alive-cpu-boomer smugness ITT

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Didn't you hear? Pat Gelsinger saved Moore's law by adding the transistors on stacked chips, but only dividing by the area of the floor layer.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

They keep telling us it isn't dead...

EUV will make it seem alive for a few more years.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

mdxi posted:

Didn't you hear? Pat Gelsinger saved Moore's law by adding the transistors on stacked chips, but only dividing by the area of the floor layer.

Interestingly the original article by Gordon Moore in the 60s doesn’t really talk about transistor size scaling or transistor density very much. I think at the time he was thinking that the number of transistors per chip would increase just due to improved manufacturing know how enabling higher production yields for larger die sizes.

Obviously transistor size scaling is primarily what enabled the great improvements in cost/function for computer chips, but it is interesting that that wasn’t really the emphasis in the original Moore’s Law prediction.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 31, 2021

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
A seven-year-old gaming PC remaining competitive (or even viable) would have seemed absurd in the 90s. Yet here we are.

The Alder Lake reviews later this week will be interesting.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Skyarb posted:

I likely will be buying a new mobo and cpu soon. The asus AI overclocking seems interesting to me as a dipshit who still doesn't understand how to overclock. And I know people will say "Oh its not htat hard to understand" but I still don't really get it because I am dumb as a pile of rocks. Is the asus Ai overclock utitlity worth it?

I recently did this for the first time on my 3570k and if you can spend an hour reading how tos it's pretty easy to do and satisfying in a tinkering kind of way.

The most basic steps:
-Adjust voltage to the CPU
-Adjust the clock multiplier
-Stress test

There's a lot of information geared towards enthusiasts, but I think for most people it's just the above.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
When will we start seeing this Alder Lake benchmarks?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nov 4th, same day as release

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, If those Cinebench numbers turn out to be reflective of general performance I might finally bite the bullet and get my first new computer since Q6600 lol.

Of course I just ordered a new tiger lake work laptop but seeing as the X1 became available just a few weeks ago I'd probably be waiting forever for new laptops with this. Which is a bummer because that's where I would expect the little cores to make a difference as opposed to on the desktop

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, If those Cinebench numbers turn out to be reflective of general performance I might finally bite the bullet and get my first new computer since Q6600 lol.

Are you still using the Q6600 or you've just moved to laptops or using work machines for everything? I was thinking about Q6600s recently because apparently modern Atoms are about that level of performance, except at 6W rather than 100W+.

Man I hope that we get an 8 or 16 core Gracemont atom processor soon. If the reported die space comparison that they've been making for Alder Lake is accurate, they could ship a 16 core atom that is similar die space to a 4 core Golden Cove processor.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bring back those Intel Compute Sticks but with Gracemont cores and LPDDR5 and an Xe iGPU

Hell yeah

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you still using the Q6600 or you've just moved to laptops or using work machines for everything? I was thinking about Q6600s recently because apparently modern Atoms are about that level of performance, except at 6W rather than 100W+.

Man I hope that we get an 8 or 16 core Gracemont atom processor soon. If the reported die space comparison that they've been making for Alder Lake is accurate, they could ship a 16 core atom that is similar die space to a 4 core Golden Cove processor.

I used it for a looong time, but not any more. I got a decommissioned sandy bridge machine from work maybe 5 years ago for a few bucks and then an ivy bridge optiplex a few years back when I needed USB 3 for VR. I'm a cheap bastard.

The Q6600 was still fine for normal tasks, but I could never overclock my copy much and it was becoming an issue in games. My mom has a Atom tablet and it's also perfectly sufficient, but you can tell it's struggling a bit when there's a lot of JS on pages and so on.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bring back those Intel Compute Sticks but with Gracemont cores and LPDDR5 and an Xe iGPU

Hell yeah

:hmmyes:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I picked up a Q6600 and Q9550 for playing with in Win11, but dont have the platform running yet cause i cant find my DDR2 :v:. The Q6600 was literally $8 shipped from China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cygni posted:

The Q6600 was literally $8 shipped from China.

that processor is 15 years old, $8 seems excessive