Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

There's this weird psychological gap between "if I choose to vaccinate my child, and something goes wrong it's my fault" and "if I don't vaccinate my child, and they get COVID and get a side-effect or a serious case, then it's God's will" or whatever. I don't fully get it, but it's definitely a very common hazardous attitude.

People tend to forget the other half of that thought... 'if i do vaccinate my child it is God's will'... it's all the Tao and there's no justification in any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

too much sarcasm

In my experience, people with children have a different perspective than those without. That post was sarcasm, if you have kids it might well cross the line into way too snarky rear end in a top hat who should gently caress off sarcasm.

I read it more like 'Jesus Christ don't experiment with your kid'... but an experiment was happening regardless. Politicians and state employees had made decisions that removed the luxury of waiting for politicians and federal employees to get their jobs done.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not allowed to tell my students’ parents that their kids were exposed to COVID (even though they were) or I will be fired. [MN] (self.legaladvice)

quote:

submitted 10 hours ago by throwawaysicktoddler

I am an early childhood preschool teacher. Today I learned that one of my kids has tested positive for COVID. This kid, like most three-year-olds, has a problem with keeping his hands to himself, and a problem keeping his mask on throughout the day. Which means likely everybody in the class has been exposed. He is also in my after school care group, so a total of 34 children aged 3 and 4 have been exposed as a result.

However, the lady in charge of deciding who quarantines and who doesn’t has only decided to send three kids from my main class home and none from my aftercare group. This lady, as far as I understand, works with HR.

I asked today about what further measures would be taken to ensure that all of our kiddos are safe, and asked about informing parents that their kids have been exposed, and I was told that only the parents of the three kids selected for quarantine are to know that their kids have been exposed, and that I would not be permitted to tell other parents.

I was confused and thought maybe I misunderstood, so I said “But all of the kids have been exposed. Shouldn’t parents know this so they can test their kids?”

I was told that I “can’t assume everyone has been exposed” and that telling other parents would cause “unnecessary panic” and I wouldn’t be staying with the school for much longer. (perhaps this is irrelevant speculation but I suspect that the lady in charge of deciding who quarantines is worried about having to reimburse parents for preschool tuition and aftercare costs if all of them were made to quarantine).

Anyways, I feel as if this is a huge liability to which I am now an accomplice. I’m not a parent myself but if I was I would want to know if my child was exposed to COVID. However, I don’t get paid for poo poo, to be frank, and I cannot afford to lose my job.

Is there someone I can report this to? What is my best course of action here?

It’s tragic that these kids, their teacher, and their families have been put in this position.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 29, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The teachers here in the public schools are apparently under orders to never mention covid because it is too upsetting, even if it's to do something like arrange quarantines. So officially there are no cases and no quarantines I guess?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We would’ve gotten our 3yo in a vaccine trial if there were any near us.

They idea that vaccinating is the riskier proposition is weird, but understandable since humans are terrible at assessing risk.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I have a 4 year old and its a bit annoying since its right on the edge of the 5 to 12 range.

First chance we get she'll be vaccinated too.

I very much sympathize - my older kid is 11, and this whole time I've been frustrated as hell that if she was just a couple months older we'd have her vaccinated by now.

poll plane variant posted:

The teachers here in the public schools are apparently under orders to never mention covid because it is too upsetting, even if it's to do something like arrange quarantines. So officially there are no cases and no quarantines I guess?

Around here the schools have a tracker that you can view for how many kids have tested positive, how many are newly in quarantine, etc. but my biggest complaint is that I don't know what percentage of kids actually got signed up for the weekly testing. So I can't really tell how reliable these numbers are, or how to extrapolate for the whole school population based on them. I do know that my older daughter reported that half of one of her classes is out on quarantine, which made me immediately nauseous.

I don't think we've had a pet tax in a while, so enjoy a picture of my idiot dogs.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

whydirt posted:

They idea that vaccinating is the riskier proposition is weird, but understandable since humans are terrible at assessing risk.
I mean, there's something to be said for "we've made it this far without my kid getting sick (or we didn't, but now they have natural immunity), so why introduce a new risk?" but yes, the risk of complications from vaccines is so small it's silly not to.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Vaccination requirements just came into effect for federally regulated transport in Canada. Full vaccination is now required to take the train, cruise ships (lol), or any flight whether international or domestic. All staff in those industries also must be vaccinated, as must any employees that work in retail or restaurants in airports, under penalty of firing. As a bonus the feds confirmed the other day that anyone fired due to not getting vaccinated would likely be denied unemployment insurance.

The only exceptions are for emergencies and remote communities that would need flights to access essential services (i.e. some random tiny town in the middle of the Arctic).

Honestly for the most part it seems like only small percentages of people are getting canned by the mandates with the weird exception of transit operators. Toronto Transit is currently on track to lose 12% of its employees when their mandate kicks in next month. They've already warned of service disruptions while they adjust/rehire.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

whydirt posted:

I can kinda sympathize since you could tell yourself covid is a natural phenomenon whereas vaccine side effects would be a result of your actions. Plus all the media pushing the notion that kids don’t get sick from covid

I’m not sure that many/most would consider the real risks of each option, because then it’sa no brainer as you point out

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly most parents should have as much "choice" in whether their child is vaxxed as they should with their child's school curriculum; that is none. But the US is the land of freedumbs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Professor Beetus posted:

Honestly most parents should have as much "choice" in whether their child is vaxxed as they should with their child's school curriculum; that is none. But the US is the land of freedumbs.

Yeah and we drive skepticism about medicine and science as a "Freedom of Expression" rather than a symptom of ignorance.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

I would love to live in a country where we had this, but in the US it would mean horse paste and jesus

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Professor Beetus posted:

The “religious exemption” baloney really got the ball rolling on this

E: or did it … the PNW is notorious for lower vaccine rates, dunno how much religion factors into it up there

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Our rule in Ontario is that you can exempt your kids from vaccination for more or less any reason as far as schools are concerned (probably it's technically a religious exemption, but it didn't need to be a tenet of an established faith or anything), but you had to keep your kids home from school if there was an active outbreak in your area, so in practice for COVID at least, not vaccinating would basically mean homeschooling your kids for the foreseeable future.

Of course, the conservative government in Ontario has already been pretty clear they're not adding COVID vaccines to the required list. There's an election in the summer, so hopefully a change in government could make it a requirement for Fall 2022 (I think it's fairly likely the Liberals and NDP would require them)

quote:

E: or did it … the PNW is notorious for lower vaccine rates, dunno how much religion factors into it up there

Maybe a lot of the old-school, granola, "I won't put anything unnatural into my body" types? Prior to COVID, everyone I knew who was against vaccination fit into that stereotype.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lil poopendorfer posted:

The “religious exemption” baloney really got the ball rolling on this

The religious exemption stuff is absurd and at least in WA State chiropractors seem to be leading the charge. :barf:

enki42 posted:

Maybe a lot of the old-school, granola, "I won't put anything unnatural into my body" types? Prior to COVID, everyone I knew who was against vaccination fit into that stereotype.

Our lone family holdout isn't granola per say, but generally refuses to take medicine for that "my body is pure" reasoning. They're not even particularly religious, just stupid af as far as I can tell.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It sometimes seems utterly maddening that people can be so dumb, but I find it does occasionally help me to frame it as "think of the intelligence of the average American, then consider all of them who are below average."

There are so many deeply deeply uninformed/misinformed/just plain dumb people out in the world.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

It sometimes seems utterly maddening that people can be so dumb, but I find it does occasionally help me to frame it as "think of the intelligence of the average American, then consider all of them who are below average."

There are so many deeply deeply uninformed/misinformed/just plain dumb people out in the world.

I try not to judge because educational disparities in the US are stark and absurd, and education should be funded the way we fund endless military boondoggles. Not to mention the anti-vax poo poo running rampant and being funded by the vitamin/homeopath juggernaut (mostly right wing regardless of who gets caught up in it). DisVox has mentioned some legislation that can potentially clamp down on that nonsense but I'm real skeptical of something like that passing with necessary teeth given the current make up of US congress.

poll plane variant posted:

I would love to live in a country where we had this, but in the US it would mean horse paste and jesus

Texas having an outsized influence on textbooks is one of those things that, while somewhat apocryphal, makes me want to tear my hair out. Like most anything else in this country, unfucking the education system is a task made nigh impossible by the complexities and the tendrils of capital woven into every aspect of k-12 education in this country.

This is getting far afield from Covid but I'm fine with a derail as long as it remains relevant in the tertiary, carry on my wayward goons.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Professor Beetus posted:

I try not to judge because educational disparities in the US are stark and absurd,

I try not to judge, too, and I didn't intend to be judgmental, rather explanatory. My own experience informs me a little bit. For example: my Jr High and High School education was entirely, 100% within the Evangelical christian culture and bubble. Private schools that taught the controversy about evolution, had Bible class every single day of the year, worships services once a week where we were preached to about the evils of homosexuality and dangers of liberal science, the works. My parents weren't even people who would sit us down and explain what was wrong about the curriculum after school, they just rolled with it.

I was lucky and somehow I still came out of all that a receptive and open-minded enough person that allowed me to change massively in college (privilege!). But shitloads of my peers from those days went to college too and they're now in mommy q-anon facebook groups and wearing daddy maga hats, etc.

Some folks are just incurious and/or dumb, and can't be reached once they're set in their ways.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but it's also a failure to understand how people's thought processes are altered by emotion and completely normal mental biases. It doesn't "make sense" because it's not rational, but it is real and it is common. The real mistake is not having taken this adequately into account with regards to policy and communications.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

whydirt posted:

A lot of it is based on the irrational belief that covid won't happen to them, that health/sickness are conflated with morality so people who live healthy lives don't have to worry about getting sick, people who died were all unhealthy, etc.

If I give my kid the vaccine they 100% got the vaccine and are exposed to all the risks of that, not getting the vaccine isn't risky because covid won't happen to me and my family, the protagonists of reality.

It's why so many of them change their tune on vaccines once they or their significant other ends up in the ICU with cottage cheese lung. That's pretty much the only thing that can get through to them that they personally can get sick.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
:siren::siren:FDA authorizes Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children 5 to 11:siren::siren:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/10/29/fda-approves-vaccine-for-kids/

It's official, folks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

:siren::siren:FDA authorizes Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for children 5 to 11:siren::siren:

It's official, folks.

Thanks, sending this to my buddy with a kid in the relevant age group and who had a small breakdown about the de-masking moment back in May

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

It's official, folks.

Excellent news, updating thread title now and will update the OP over the weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
In other good news, SCOTUS ruled 6-3 against religious liberty challenge to vaccine mandate. Kavanaugh, Barrett, Roberts sided with the three liberal justices.

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1454201191886434306?s=20

(this was probably posted in USNews but I haven't been following that thread much today)

edit: nope doesn't appear it's in USNews. I'll cross post it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Good news: the reduced dosage of Spikevax boosters means that pharmacists can get more doses per vial.

Bad news: they’re only allowed to puncture the vial twenty times.

This can mean wasting up to a third of the vial, in cases where no patients are getting their primary series.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144637/download

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'd ask why they can't just package the boosters in smaller vials to save vaccine, but then I remembered the worldwide logistics disaster. Yay.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sanguinia posted:

I'd ask why they can't just package the boosters in smaller vials to save vaccine, but then I remembered the worldwide logistics disaster. Yay.

They do pack them in smaller vials, the 5.5ml vial with 20 booster shots is 5ml used, and that means exactly .5 is left over, but they don't want you like, chasing little droplets around the bottle trying to get to mathematical zero. So that fits perfectly.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

So re: Powecom KN95s and mask chat.

Wearing one right now to the barber and I’m reminded about how poor the seal is compared to American N95s. Definitely would not trust these while teaching or really in most indoor situations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

So re: Powecom KN95s and mask chat.

Wearing one right now to the barber and I’m reminded about how poor the seal is compared to American N95s. Definitely would not trust these while teaching or really in most indoor situations.

I tried some because they're so much cheaper than any of the online options for N95s and I wore one to the grocery store today. At first I was really annoyed because the steam on my glasses was insane and pretty clearly telling me the seal was poo poo. But I put the mask up a little higher on my face and squeezed the metal nose thing and then it was a lot better. Probably not going to recommend my partner wear them on the 2 days she works in the office, but for in/out errands I feel okay (my vaccination is still good too, though I will need to get a booster next month).

From what I could tell re: online shopping for masks, to get certified N95s it's a lot cheaper for me to go to my local hardware store and buy the 3Ms they stock than pretty much any of the online options, even with coupon codes.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

It's official, folks.

Still needs to go through the CDC to be official, right?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Still needs to go through the CDC to be official, right?

Yup. They’re meeting Tuesday. It’s a rubber stamp at this point they’re already making appointments at one of the local school districts.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Oracle posted:

Yup. They’re meeting Tuesday. It’s a rubber stamp at this point they’re already making appointments at one of the local school districts.

I know it's a foregone conclusion at this point, but the repeated "it's approved!" headlines have caused serious confusion for friends and family when they've tried to book a shot and are told it is not really fully approved yet. The current thread title lacks that nuance in the same way. Thankfully at least some pediatricians are just booking shots anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know that there’s no realistic possibility that CDC does not approve, but I do find it funny that the same media that was Very Concerned about Booster Bandits, and in many cases described children as ‘almost immune’ from COVID-19, is already celebrating.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

I know that there’s no realistic possibility that CDC does not approve, but I do find it funny that the same media that was Very Concerned about Booster Bandits, and in many cases described children as ‘almost immune’ from COVID-19, is already celebrating.

Yeah, it's almost like they have a consistent view of waiting for scientific review and recommendation and don't like people who "do their own research" and get medical protocols off their uncle on facebook who totally googled something while sitting on a toilet once. And are happy the trials have finished and shown it's safe for children.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fosborb posted:

I know it's a foregone conclusion at this point, but the repeated "it's approved!" headlines have caused serious confusion for friends and family when they've tried to book a shot and are told it is not really fully approved yet. The current thread title lacks that nuance in the same way. Thankfully at least some pediatricians are just booking shots anyway.

Thread titles don't have a whole lot of room for nuance, and I'm sorry if I jumped the gun on that; it just seemed like pretty huge news and worth highlighting. If Tuesday rolls around and there's some issue with the CDC review I can certainly look at changing it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's almost like they have a consistent view of waiting for scientific review and recommendation and don't like people who "do their own research" and get medical protocols off their uncle on facebook who totally googled something while sitting on a toilet once. And are happy the trials have finished and shown it's safe for children.

People who got boosters were, at least by September when “Booster Bandit” was coined, operating on strong data but—and here’s where it gets heretical—it was data from outside the United States.

Israel boosted a million adults and published about its safety and efficacy in August

That’s the preprint. Here is the published article in the NEJM, September 15, that only hardened the hearts of Americans.

I’m not going to say that Israel’s data was stronger than the pædiatric trial data, because clinical trials can be controlled and followed up on in ways the general population can’t, but the quantities are just incomparable

versus

quote:

We extracted data for the period from July 30 through August 31, 2021, from the Israeli Ministry of Health database regarding 1,137,804 persons who were 60 years of age or older and had been fully vaccinated (i.e., had received two doses of BNT162b2) at least 5 months earlier. In the primary analysis, we compared the rate of confirmed Covid-19 and the rate of severe illness between those who had received a booster injection at least 12 days earlier (booster group) and those who had not received a booster injection (nonbooster group). In a secondary analysis, we evaluated the rate of infection 4 to 6 days after the booster dose as compared with the rate at least 12 days after the booster.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

People who got boosters were, at least by September when “Booster Bandit” was coined, operating on strong data but—and here’s where it gets heretical—it was data from outside the United States.

Israel boosted a million adults and published about its safety and efficacy in August

That’s the preprint. Here is the published article in the NEJM, September 15, that only hardened the hearts of Americans.

I’m not going to say that Israel’s data was stronger than the pædiatric trial data, because clinical trials can be controlled and followed up on in ways the general population can’t, but the quantities are just incomparable

versus

I think the idea the US should remove the concept of a drug approval process because some computer toucher can go on twitter and guess what it's going to be, so that computer toucher should be able to live in a libertarian bioshock utopia and just proscribe themself stuff isn't as great an idea as you think it is. There being many studies is why a thing gets approved, not why there should not be approval processes for drugs and everyone should just follow their guts based on what studies they vaguely saw on facebook.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the idea the US should remove the concept of a drug approval process because some computer toucher can go on twitter and guess what it's going to be, so that computer toucher should be able to live in a libertarian bioshock utopia and just proscribe themself stuff isn't as great an idea as you think it is. There being many studies is why a thing gets approved, not why there should not be approval processes for drugs and everyone should just follow their guts based on what studies they vaguely saw on facebook.

If you can't address the things people are actually saying rather than something you're making up in your head, can you just take a break for a bit? I don't think Platystemon's comment about the media response has all that much to do with this strawman that you continue to argue with. If this has something to do with poo poo people are posting in other Covid threads, address it there instead of dragging it into this one. (I don't really know, I've only checked out the CSPAM OP and I stopped venturing into GBS sometime in 09, although I've heard GBS is better now).

e: I know people were griping about the FDA/CDC process in here but again, I think that's tangential to the thing that Platystemon actually said in this case. In any case, boosters are now approved for anyone meeting eligibility criteria and kids 5-11 might be getting shots as soon as next week or the week after. This is all great news!

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 31, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

If you can't address the things people are actually saying rather than something you're making up in your head, can you just take a break for a bit? I don't think Platystemon's comment about the media response has all that much to do with this strawman that you continue to argue with. If this has something to do with poo poo people are posting in other Covid threads, address it there instead of dragging it into this one. (I don't really know, I've only checked out the CSPAM OP and I stopped venturing into GBS sometime in 09, although I've heard GBS is better now).

e: I know people were griping about the FDA/CDC process in here but again, I think that's tangential to the thing that Platystemon actually said in this case. In any case, boosters are now approved for anyone meeting eligibility criteria and kids 5-11 might be getting shots as soon as next week or the week after. This is all great news!

Like, individual people shouldn't be operating on "strong data". The whole idea people should be andrew ryaning their own approval process is stupid. Like seeing something that feels like a strong study should make you think "oh good, this will be approved", not 'the US should do away with approval processes because I have my own opinions and I should be allowed to buy my own medication choices in libertopia"

It's the most absurdly right wing dangerous thing imaginable to have things work like that. Like something having good data means it should get approved, not that randos should just facebook research the stuff and make their own stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I appreciate that you have to walk a narrow path here in order to maintain an contrarian position on every point, but I would really like to hear more about your thoughts on how people are more qualified to weigh on in the national pharmaceutical approval process than they are to make decisions solely for their selves.

Like, it’s one thing if a person lectures about the pitfalls of self‐diagnosis and self‐medication, but what’s really interesting is if they turn around and say that actually it is cool & good that those same people have opinions on what goes into the physician’s manuals.

Isn’t that a little backwards?