Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

I didn't realize we were getting Ernest Saves Christmas!

I'm really hoping we get to learn that Clint's middle name is Ernest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
New short trailer. Mostly recut scenes they showed earlier. But I love Kate's excited geek face at the beginning. They're really hyping the Christmas theme and I'm all in for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLP3gEEYaf0

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 30, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So hyped for Hawkeye. I said earlier that even if Eternals doesn't turn out to be a big hit, people will forget it as soon as Hawkeye comes out and everyones making Pizza Dog memes, while people try to keep harping on Eternals, everyone will be "don't care, Kate and the best pupper ever, yes he is!"

I do hope they don't take too long to get to wacky Hawkeye hijinks, like I love the tonal shift of the main trailer, but I don't think holding that until like the 3rd episode would be good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having plowed through the entire MCU over the last 18 months of quarantine, a throughline was being genuinely impressed with Renner’s Hawkeye and always wishing I got more of him (when he’s not the villain of the first movie) hoping this offsets the more somber tone of the last 3 shows, all of which are kind of huge bummers even if they have laughs and good action.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bust Rodd posted:

Having plowed through the entire MCU over the last 18 months of quarantine, a throughline was being genuinely impressed with Renner’s Hawkeye and always wishing I got more of him (when he’s not the villain of the first movie) hoping this offsets the more somber tone of the last 3 shows, all of which are kind of huge bummers even if they have laughs and good action.

I think (most of) Age of Ultron and Civil War, for how little he's in the latter, are legitimately good showings for him. Particularly in CW he's a more cocksure character and he plays it well. I don't terribly like Renner but I think the dude probably got sold a bill of goods on who his character was going to be when he got cast in Thor.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The trailers in general are a lot of fun, and it looks like the series will lean into comedy more than most MCU stuff which would be nice, but the thing that mostly excites me in the whole trailer is this face:

The whole scene in the car looks great, from Clint apologizing to Santa, the gunshots lining up with the music's beat, Clint picking out specific arrows and going "nope, not this one; too dangerous", to Kate going "You don't have to be so emphatic" like she's offended because he thinks he's coddling her with safe arrows or something, only for her to be shocked at how hosed up even the one he let her fire is. But man, that face. It's just so sincere and silly at the same time, and it implies that Renner is having a lot of fun with the role and, more importantly, being allowed to have a lot of fun with the role. I'm hoping it's basically Hawkeye's Thor: Ragnarok, where Renner is paired with a director who's not afraid to let the actor gently caress around and reinvent the character to be more interesting for the actor and the audience.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 30, 2021

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

tsob posted:

The whole scene in the car looks great, from Clint apologizing to Santa, the gunshots lining up with the music's beat, Clint picking out specific arrows and going "nope, not this one; too dangerous", to Kate going "You don't have to be so emphatic" like she's offended because he thinks he's coddling her with safe arrows or something, only for her to be shocked at how hosed up even the one he let her fire is.

I just now noticed the van says "Trust A Bro".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's a reason the Hawkeye family farm stuff is some of the best stuff in Age of Ultron. I really love how they show that Clint and his oldest daughter (Violet I think?) have a really good relationship. It's nice to see a women with a good dad.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

To be fair to MCU writers on Hawkeye, the comics never seem sure of who Hawkeye is either. Sometimes he is a drunk loser whose only skill is archery. Sometimes he is dark brooding batman with a bow and or sword. Sometimes he's the cockiest bastard in the world, shooting down iron man with a well placed arrow into critical components. Sometimes he is comedy relief 'wow I'm so out of my depth with all these superhumans'.

It's not surprising the MCU kinds floundered with finding his role and a consistent tone for his character.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

KittyEmpress posted:

To be fair to MCU writers on Hawkeye, the comics never seem sure of who Hawkeye is either. Sometimes he is a drunk loser whose only skill is archery. Sometimes he is dark brooding batman with a bow and or sword. Sometimes he's the cockiest bastard in the world, shooting down iron man with a well placed arrow into critical components. Sometimes he is comedy relief 'wow I'm so out of my depth with all these superhumans'.

It's not surprising the MCU kinds floundered with finding his role and a consistent tone for his character.

I really liked Hawkeye Freefall, were he somehow was all of those at the same time, while making it work. That comic also had one of the weirdest secret identity shenanigans.

I think his best characterization is if he wants to do good, but keeps ending up way out of his league and has to bridge the gap with lateral thinking. Since all of the MCU stuff he was in was basically team efforts, he didn't really have a chance to shine in that way.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
He'd obviously be good at tactical espionage missions, but there's almost none of those in a MCU movie. They always end in a fist fight.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

He'd obviously be good at tactical espionage missions, but there's almost none of those in a MCU movie. They always end in a fist fight.

That’s my take too. He’s the absolute best killer Nick Fury can get, he’s supposed to be Solid Snake.

Unfortunately, war has evolved and all his skills mean pretty much dick compared to actual super heroes.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Azhais posted:

I didn't realize we were getting Ernest Saves Christmas!

In a perfect world, Ernest P. Worrell would be part of the MCU.

I'd be okay with Deepfaking the heck out of him and/or making him a muppet as a compromise.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A Miak reference will die on the vine imo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

shades of eternity posted:

In a perfect world, Ernest P. Worrell would be part of the MCU.

https://i.imgur.com/yroyYFD.mp4

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

We replaced Sky with Ernest in agents of shield and wondered if anybody would notice. :p

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Kingo Goes to Camp (1987)
Kingo Saves Christmas (1988)
Kingo Goes to Jail (1990)
Kingo Scared Stupid (1991)
Kingo Rides Again (1993)
Kingo Goes to School (1994) (direct-to-video)
Slam Dunk Kingo (1995) (direct-to-video)
Kingo Goes to Africa (1997) (direct-to-video)
Kingo in the Army (1998) (direct-to-video)

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I appreciate that Ernest electrical powers came up in two separate films. Exactly the dedication to world building and continuity you would expect from Jim Varney.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Edmund Lava posted:

I appreciate that Ernest electrical powers came up in two separate films. Exactly the dedication to world building and continuity you would expect from Jim Varney.

Wait what? What was the other one?

I know it's in Ernest Goes to Jail but what is the other one?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Wait what? What was the other one?

I know it's in Ernest Goes to Jail but what is the other one?

Ernest Rides Again

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Someone do an Ernest movie power ranking.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spacebump posted:

Someone do an Ernest movie power ranking.

They are all tied for first.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Ernest Scared Stupid is at the top and Ernest Goes to Africa is at the bottom, you can put the rest where you like.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ernest Goes to Jail is second best after scared stupid

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Agreed. Nothing can top the power of a mother’s love

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Now I'm sad that Ernest P. Worrell won't actually be a historical Marvel hero.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Edmund Lava posted:

Agreed. Nothing can top the power of a mother’s love

And Ertha Kitt chewing the scenery.

I have a cheap means of making it official.

When you look at the famous graduates wall at xavier's school for the gifted, his Portrait is there (along with Kurt Russell and Don knotts).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well, I finished the 2017 Spider-man show on Disney Plus and it recommended Ultimate Spider-man and after a few episodes drat that's a hard shift in Peter Parker personality.

Peter in that show is a really unlikeable rear end in a top hat, does it get any better? Or at least follow the Ultimate comics a bit and kill him off for Miles or something?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Well, I finished the 2017 Spider-man show on Disney Plus and it recommended Ultimate Spider-man and after a few episodes drat that's a hard shift in Peter Parker personality.

Peter in that show is a really unlikeable rear end in a top hat, does it get any better? Or at least follow the Ultimate comics a bit and kill him off for Miles or something?

It eventually goes full Spiderverse, and explores lot of characters so its a fun time filler.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

it improves by a full grade mark if you cut all the family guy aside jokes (that as a rule, aren't funny).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

it improves by a full grade mark if you cut all the family guy aside jokes (that as a rule, aren't funny).

Simpsons did these all the time during the good seasons

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The one South Park episode with the manatees kind of killed any interest I had in Family Guy.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Simpsons did these all the time during the good seasons

Simpsons can do them because during the 90's they were, what's the word, good.

Ultimate Spiderman does them...incredibly badly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Isn't Spectacular Spider-Man on Netflix now? Go watch that instead if you're able.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
No spoilers from me, but just wanted to say the Eternals RT score is bullshit. I found it luminously beautiful and I adored it. And I say that as someone more into the hat films than the cosmic stoner MCU flicks. It's not without flaws, but if most Marvel films are a pop concert, this was an opera.

People keep asking for the MCU to not be formulaic, and as soon as they do it's all "not like that". Anyway, worth seeking out before someone spoils it because it's got a bunch of story moments you do NOT want to be told in advance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Parkingtigers posted:

No spoilers from me, but just wanted to say the Eternals RT score is bullshit. I found it luminously beautiful and I adored it. And I say that as someone more into the hat films than the cosmic stoner MCU flicks. It's not without flaws, but if most Marvel films are a pop concert, this was an opera.

People keep asking for the MCU to not be formulaic, and as soon as they do it's all "not like that". Anyway, worth seeking out before someone spoils it because it's got a bunch of story moments you do NOT want to be told in advance.

Before anyone asks what this guy is referring to by "hat films":

https://twitter.com/bakkooonn/status/1413687517291991040?lang=en

I don't agree with it, but it's a really funny tweet.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Parkingtigers posted:

I enjoyed it too. It certainly leaves some interesting… stuff… hanging around to possibly address or not address in future works.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Parkingtigers posted:

I barely looked at reviews, beyond knowing that it had fairly middling scores on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, but having just come back from seeing it I really enjoyed it. Not the strongest MCU film, but definitely an interesting and enjoyable one that I'll remember regardless. I'd watch it again before a lot of MCU stuff too. I like that the characters didn't come out of the film [light spoilers only about the tone and narrative structure of the film, rather than any direct events]as all complete characters, who'd finished out their arc either. A good bit of the cast were conflicted on their actions all the way through, including during the finale and it leaves it feeling like the start of a broader examination of them. As well as just leaving the world a weirder and more visually loving odd place in the finale's wake. I hope it gets a sequel by Chloe Zhao, because I really enjoyed the film visually as well as wanting to see what else she does with the cast.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't Ultimate Spider-Man the show where he's in high school with Luke Cage, Iron Fist, White Tiger and Stan lee is the janitor and Coulson is the principle? I liked that because it put Spider-Man in a very specific spot and also had lots of good stuff like the Spider-Buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I liked the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon for what it was.