Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure we did.

We did.

And in fact it was down to monkey poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure we did.

Can you spoiler it?

Cause I thought (and it says on the Wiki) that several explanations are given in the book, but it leaves it up to the reader to choose which one is right.

Or is the explanation for the loss of men not explained but Yorick surviving is?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Uthor posted:

Or is the explanation for the loss of men not explained but Yorick surviving is?
Weird, I must have just forgotten about this plot point. Apparently the comic did mention why Yorick survived

Dr. Mann's father injected Ampersand with a virus meant to kill cloned animals and it instead shielded Yorick from the likely bio-agent that killed all men

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Uthor posted:

Can you spoiler it?

Cause I thought (and it says on the Wiki) that several explanations are given in the book, but it leaves it up to the reader to choose which one is right.

So the very first arc gives two to three possible explanation for what caused the virus.
They eventually pick one.
They picked the dumbest one.

Dr. Mann's dad invented a virus because he was mad/scared that women had discovered a method of cloning that would create an all women society. So he created a virus to show them. It was tested on Ampersand which was why Ampersand was immune, and Yorrick picked up immunity through his money's poop.

As for how the Virus killed everyone on Eartg immediately?
It spread through the Morphogenenic field.

Honestly the potential answer from the first arc that it all happened because a secret agent stole a magic relic from the Middle East which unleashed a curse on the world, and Yorrick and his monkey were protected because he got a magic ring to propose to Beth was far more believable than that.

What annoyed me most about that ending when I originally read it was it had a character basically say
"You thought a magic ring killed all the males simultaneously? How dumb are you?
No it all happened through the super-realistic science of morphogenesis. Obviously.

I really hated that ending.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morphogenic field? Is that what all that crackling energy is behind the Power Rangers when they morph?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Morphogenic field? Is that what all that crackling energy is behind the Power Rangers when they morph?

I think that's just a normal explosion? Wasn't there a series where a ranger actually uses it as a weapon against some group of baddies? Like they turn their back to the enemy before the morph so a bunch of puddies or whatever the generic minions were called in that series get caught in the blast?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

SalTheBard posted:

Wonderful! I can just stop thinking about that part and just focus on everything else!

Regardless of the various answers already posted, at least in the comic you can't really stop thinking about that part because the book keeps making it a core part of the storyline. Y, BSG and Lost, in my opinion, are media that ultimately get entrenched in their Mystery Box stories and which get wrongly defended as "being about the characters". If they were really about the characters or the friends we made along the way then they'd stop revolving everyone around the mysteries - it's really easy to have unsatisfying answers to those mysteries so if you know that's going to happen then just get away from it, or at least stop bringing it up over and over again.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I think that's just a normal explosion? Wasn't there a series where a ranger actually uses it as a weapon against some group of baddies? Like they turn their back to the enemy before the morph so a bunch of puddies or whatever the generic minions were called in that series get caught in the blast?

Yes, it was linked a few months back somewhere in BSS!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

I mean how behind the KKK ninja there's all that electricity zipping and zapping around.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Okay, help me out.

I swear there was a Batman comic early on in the New 52 where Batman runs into a vampire in Gotham, and she starts to freak out and apologize to him for being in his territory, and it's revealed that most vampires in the DCU try to steer clear of Gotham because they think Batman is an actual vampire and they don't want to get caught in his domain.

I'm not crazy, right? This is something that happened, yes? Does anyone have any idea what comic this was?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vandar posted:

Okay, help me out.

I swear there was a Batman comic early on in the New 52 where Batman runs into a vampire in Gotham, and she starts to freak out and apologize to him for being in his territory, and it's revealed that most vampires in the DCU try to steer clear of Gotham because they think Batman is an actual vampire and they don't want to get caught in his domain.

I'm not crazy, right? This is something that happened, yes? Does anyone have any idea what comic this was?

That sounds like something that might've happened in I, Vampire or the issues of Justice League Dark it crossed over with. I have no idea about the Batman books proper, though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was some I, Vampire issues featuring Batman but I don't remember them being anything like what you described. Guess I should reread them to find out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

my brother refuse to watch the show until it's over just to make sure they changed the ending.

Looks like they won’t get a chance, my wife read that the show was canceled already.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/why-was-y-the-last-man-canceled-1235033351/

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I was wrong. It wasn't from The New 52 (which contained a storyline in Detective Comics called 'Scare Tactics'). It's from a comic from '97 named 'Scare Tactics', apparently about a rock band made up of teenage monsters. What a weird book. Apparently, they crossed over with Impulse and Superboy.

One of them is a vampire girl and she kills another monster dude, and throws herself at Batman's mercy when he's questioning her about it.

I knew I wasn't crazy though. :colbert:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Vandar posted:

I was wrong. It wasn't from The New 52 (which contained a storyline in Detective Comics called 'Scare Tactics'). It's from a comic from '97 named 'Scare Tactics', apparently about a rock band made up of teenage monsters. What a weird book. Apparently, they crossed over with Impulse and Superboy.

One of them is a vampire girl and she kills another monster dude, and throws herself at Batman's mercy when he's questioning her about it.

My dream omnibus would be a collection of short-lived DC titles from the 90s, like Scare Tactics, Young Heroes in Love, Major Bummer, Chronos, etc.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My dream omnibus would be a collection of short-lived DC titles from the 90s, like Scare Tactics, Young Heroes in Love, Major Bummer, Chronos, etc.

I was a huge fan of Chronos, Vext, and Chase. Still have all my single issues of Chronos and Vext after all this time. I owned the Chase TPB for years, but made a tidy profit selling it on eBay last year. I think it only came out because all the art was early work by J.H. Williams, before Promethea, Sandman: Overture, and Batwoman.

I believe Major Bummer was owned by its creators (John Arcudi, maybe?) rather than by DC, and was later published as a collected edition by Dark Horse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I haven’t thought about Young Heroes in Love in 25 years. drat.

Was Aztek ever collected in one place?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Scare Tactics looks kind of neat, ngl. It's not too long a series so I think I'm going to end up reading through all of it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I have a collected trade of Aztek called JLA presents: Aztek which collects the whole run.
And Major Bummer was all collected in The Complete Major Bummer super slacktacular which I also have.
Also another short lived 90s that never got collected was Gross Point which was a weird comedy book

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I liked Scare Tactics back in the day but I have not reread my singles collection of it. That, Major Bummer, and Gross Point were like the only comics I ever actually put on a pull list.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Aztek had his own trade, I think. I only know about Young Heroes In Love because they were the only book not included in the DC #1,000,000 omnibus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DC's digital comic service has been pretty good about adding in their back catalog.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vandar posted:

So does he kill her or what

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

During AoV Uncanny X-Men seem to be using the time to change the team round. Rogue has disappeared, Storm is a child, Polaris is back, Psylocke is an Asian assassin, Wolverine has found Jubilee, Havok and Colossus are somewhere after going into the Siege Perilous.

Rob Leifield gives us this drawing of Blob in his first issue of New Mutants

What have been really noticeable (for better or worse) changes in art styles when artists change on titles?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

there's a point after Liefeld comes in where other artists have to draw Cable for the first time and watching them guess at how the hell his shoulder pads worked or what those like golf club looking things on his back were is incredible.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Karma Tornado posted:

there's a point after Liefeld comes in where other artists have to draw Cable for the first time and watching them guess at how the hell his shoulder pads worked or what those like golf club looking things on his back were is incredible.

I'm very partial to Mike Mignola's version from X-Force #8, which turned the metal protrusions on Cable's back into exhaust pipes(???)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

What have been really noticeable (for better or worse) changes in art styles when artists change on titles?

Any time a book is drawn by Greg Land it's worse.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Vampires in DC being convinced that Batman is an extremely powerful vampire is hilarious

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jim Lee on X-Men (and a lot of it I like, though there's also some major problems) was a pretty big change from previous artists, including changing a character's actual loving race.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Jim Lee on X-Men (and a lot of it I like, though there's also some major problems) was a pretty big change from previous artists, including changing a character's actual loving race.
Was he really that big of a sea change from Marc Silvestri?

Also assuming you were talking about Psylocke/Betsy Braddock, I don't think Jim Lee had anything to do that decision

quote:

CN: Okay. I guess, first of all, did you discuss the idea with Jim Lee? Because he was drawing it, as an Asian artist. Did it come up, as a subject for …

CC: Well, not really because that was a fill-in arc. That was almost, in a way, his audition art to take over the series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Was he really that big of a sea change from Marc Silvestri?

Also assuming you were talking about Psylocke/Betsy Braddock, I don't think Jim Lee had anything to do that decision

Huh, I've been bingeing Jay and Miles Explain the X-Men at work and listened to the episode about that a little while ago and while I don't think they source it they said it happened largely because Lee wanted to draw a kick rear end ninja lady and they are usually good about saying something like "I assume because..." when they don't actually have a source, and they didn't in this case.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally finished Acts of Vengeance. It wasn't that great, a bunch of unusual match ups that the heroes usually won. When a bad guy did win they'd just fly off and all I could think was 'are you going to kill the heroes because they're just going to get up and carry on.' It didn't fee there was a lot to it to make it an event beyond the room with several villains and Loki in it. I do wonder if it got people to buy more books. Also the "Enigma Force" is just a great comic book name for a force/energy that gives you super powers. Anyone have other great energy/force names?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So do people actually read Wonder Woman books? If so what are the stories that are well regarded? I realized recently that I know next to nothing about her solo books. All I know is that she once fought a gigantic racist egg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly for as celebrated as Wonder Woman is she has very, very few runs of stories that could be considered classic. She bounces from 'not great' to 'okay, considering' to now and then Rucka gets to write her. Even sometimes writers who you think would be slam dunks are just... kinda there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

So do people actually read Wonder Woman books? If so what are the stories that are well regarded? I realized recently that I know next to nothing about her solo books. All I know is that she once fought a gigantic racist egg

The Perez, Azzarello and Rucka books are well regarded. Grant Morrison is also writing Wonder Woman stories now.

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly for as celebrated as Wonder Woman is she has very, very few runs of stories that could be considered classic. She bounces from 'not great' to 'okay, considering' to now and then Rucka gets to write her. Even sometimes writers who you think would be slam dunks are just... kinda there.

Honestly, the recent Rucka written Wonder Woman arc is basically just okay.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alhazred posted:

Admittedly I was more thinking about the arc that sort of stops instead of ends thanks to Infinite Crisis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

*dashes into thread out of breath*

As noted, the Perez and Rucka runs are very well regarded The Hiketeia and Eyes Of The Gorgon stories by Rucka are probably the ones I'd point to as the 'read these' stories, but Perez is also still very strong as long as you're not put off by pre-2000s comics, and can set aside some of the problematic stuff like Cheetah's manservant.

The Azzarello run is influential insofar as being the source of the 'WW is the daughter of Zeus' origin that is the version people now know from the films but also makes a ton of choices that are... let's say... not universally beloved.

After Perez and Rucka, you could take a crack at Gail Simone or G Willow Wilson's runs on the title, both of whom are pretty darn solid, with the former's 'Circle' story arc being one I enjoy a lot, even though it does inherit some odd baggage from the previous run meaning the status quo is a little odd.

Alhazred posted:

I liked Year One a lot, I think the modern day arc was hampered by DC seeming to be unwilling to nix the Azzarello stuff wholesale, probably because of the aforementioned tie to the movies, when it was clearly Rucka's goal to try and undo a lot of the damage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Azzarello's run is not particularly faithful to the character, but it also makes Wesley Willis a character, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Azzarello's run is not particularly faithful to the character, but it also makes Wesley Willis a character, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

To be fair, while Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman wasn't the most faithful, it was like...kind of what DC was saying the New 52 was going to be.

'We're rebooting our universe from scratch, we're going to have fresh and new and different takes on the characters.'

I had honestly expected more of the New 52 to be like that before we discovered just how half-assed the whole thing was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The remarkable thing about Azz's run is how little interference it had from outside editorial forces. No crossovers. No outside (ie Batman) characters except Orion. It was a singer story told uninterrupted.