Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
here's some cool poo poo for you nerds https://collapsedmtl.bandcamp.com/album/pils-session-01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

this is some cool poo poo

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

yeah that poo poo is cool

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Here's a good EP comp. Haven't heard their new LP yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxmIsJPKclc

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

this is some cool poo poo

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's...an interesting bill.

From googling it was called the Red Black & Blue tour, also featuring Chimaira(?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIScWpfZ2Z4) and Diecast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc8L7FGCKGM which appear to just be a straight 1::1 rip of Killswitch Engage). It was the first show where I spent most of my time in the moshpit vs just standing and watching... someday I'll flip that switch back the other way but not any time soon

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New poo poo Friday with a few pretty big releases:

Mastadon on non-BC
Archspire, brutal tech death
First Fragment, tech death
Be'lakor, melodeath
Beast in Black, pm
Running Wild on non-BC
Thulcandra, meloblack blue-core. Not fully out on BC, out on everything else
Morgal, bm
A Secret Revealed, post-black
Vomit Spell, deathgrind
Whitechapel, dxc
Sunless, tech death
Ghost Bath, blackgaze
Burial, death doom
Teeth, tech death
Cult of Eibon, bm
Ophis, death doom
Grand Cadaver, dm
Haxkapell, dm
Order, bm
Goat Torment, blackened death
Bizarre, dm
Autumn Nostalgie, blackgaze
Doedsvangr, bm
Evil drat, dm
Kaeck, bm
Olio Tahtien Takana, symphonic bm
Dopesmoker, stoner doom
Vile Aesthetic, bm
Bloodmouth, deathgrind

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

First Fragment is so loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GBY28LTR6k

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nazzadan posted:

My favorite thing about Mike is not that he's a professor, it's that he's apparently a professor that all his students hate. Don't be fooled by the overall average, reading through the reviews is a great time.

tbf almost all the negative reviews are complaints that the class isn't structured with redundant readings and lectures, so you can choose to skip it/not do the readings, or just that you aren't guaranteed an A for trying.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm actually really stoked for that first fragment album. I totally forgot they were making another one. Also hell yeah thulcandra

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

hey we're on page 1349

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
how could you in good faith omit the very real fact that a new limp bizkit album is coming out on sunday???????

btw: new limp bizkit album on sunday titled "Still Sucks" lmao

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/limp-bizkit-announce-album-limp-140820535.html

kumba fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 29, 2021

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Dear lord those poor instruments. Quebecois death metal owns

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gently caress yeah, this whips

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

Mastadon on non-BC
Be'lakor, melodeath
Beast in Black, pm
Running Wild on non-BC
Morgal, bm
Vomit Spell, deathgrind
Whitechapel, dxc
Sunless, tech death
Ghost Bath, blackgaze
Burial, death doom
Teeth, tech death
Cult of Eibon, bm
Ophis, death doom
Grand Cadaver, dm
Haxkapell, dm
Order, bm
Bizarre, dm
Doedsvangr, bm
Evil drat, dm
Kaeck, bm
Dopesmoker, stoner doom
Vile Aesthetic, bm
Bloodmouth, deathgrind

Also new Kayo Dot which is effectively a maudlin of the Well reunion.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
this first fragment is great but what i posit is if there was no vocals

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh I missed this, very cool

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mastodon has really settled into a formula since The Hunter. It always goes down pretty smooth but I really miss how distinctive each album was. You’d think an 86-minute record might have them going for broke but it’s just 15 more songs that could’ve been written any time in the last decade.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mastodon has really settled into a formula since The Hunter. It always goes down pretty smooth but I really miss how distinctive each album was. You’d think an 86-minute record might have them going for broke but it’s just 15 more songs that could’ve been written any time in the last decade.

You think so? I’ve found each one to be really unique and have a very cohesive sort of vibe to it. You can tell it’s Mastodon but they evolve at a pretty steady pace album to album. But anyone will have an anchor sound that will be more or less stable if you’re together as long as they’ve been and pumping out album after album.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress yes - I worship at the altar of motW

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i heard the new whitechapel was different from their older stuff so i guess i'll include that in my to-listen list and see what's up

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Dragonland is the actual best PM band

also new Ad Infinitum today

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

You think so? I’ve found each one to be really unique and have a very cohesive sort of vibe to it. You can tell it’s Mastodon but they evolve at a pretty steady pace album to album. But anyone will have an anchor sound that will be more or less stable if you’re together as long as they’ve been and pumping out album after album.

Their evolution from The Hunter is dramatically less different than Remission to Crack the Skye.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Their evolution from The Hunter is dramatically less different than Remission to Crack the Skye.

Oh yeah no doubt but that was them getting comfortable with each other and finding their sound in the first place. From Leviathan on it’s been a pretty consistent mix of them getting better at being Mastodon while evolving through the various influences and strengths of the members. I guess fully embracing Brann being extremely good at everything locked in the sound a little more too lol.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

I think the double album kinda adds to this effect: there's just a lot of music there, and some of the fine distinctions get erased when you listen to the whole thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whoa, the album is mixed as Dolby Atmos on Apple Music. Sounds great!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Deathlove posted:

this first fragment is great but what i posit is if there was no vocals

There's a strong reason why this is my favorite song from them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BjLguWbCW0

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i did not realize it was the same band until you posted that

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nazzadan posted:

Mastadon on non-BC
Be'lakor, melodeath
Beast in Black, pm
Running Wild on non-BC
Morgal, bm
Vomit Spell, deathgrind
Whitechapel, dxc
Sunless, tech death
Ghost Bath, blackgaze
Burial, death doom
Teeth, tech death
Cult of Eibon, bm
Ophis, death doom
Grand Cadaver, dm
Haxkapell, dm
Order, bm
Bizarre, dm
Doedsvangr, bm
Evil drat, dm
Kaeck, bm
Dopesmoker, stoner doom
Vile Aesthetic, bm
Bloodmouth, deathgrind

Dean Lamb's comment, "Hey, it's our album!" is the top comment on the Archspire full album stream. Sometimes the dumbass internet future is funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8H9ahswldM

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Nazzadan posted:

Mastadon on non-BC
Be'lakor, melodeath
Beast in Black, pm
Running Wild on non-BC
Morgal, bm
Vomit Spell, deathgrind
Whitechapel, dxc
Sunless, tech death
Ghost Bath, blackgaze
Burial, death doom
Teeth, tech death
Cult of Eibon, bm
Ophis, death doom
Grand Cadaver, dm
Haxkapell, dm
Order, bm
Bizarre, dm
Doedsvangr, bm
Evil drat, dm
Kaeck, bm
Dopesmoker, stoner doom
Vile Aesthetic, bm
Bloodmouth, deathgrind

Geez. I see all these metal bands I never heard of. I guess I just kick it old school. But it's a good thing; because metal will never die.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Listen to Archspire they are awesome. And so far they seem to be good people. Absurdly stupidly fast but they still have actual songs and songwriting.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

that cult of eibon album is some top tier rotting christ/necromantia worship

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cobra Commander posted:

Listen to Archspire they are awesome. And so far they seem to be good people. Absurdly stupidly fast but they still have actual songs and songwriting.

Also their "Drone Corpse Navigator" music video is loving hilarious in a fine old 80s/90s splatter movie kind of way.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Cobra Commander posted:

I have a friend who's super Into them, and I could never totally get In to them. I started watching Dean Lamb on YouTube and now I listen to them a lot.

He's a good dude.

And their new album is wild.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm wondering if they're gonna feed the new album to that AI that's been generating tech death 24/7 in a livestream for over two years now, based on Archspire's previous album.

I listened to their new single and it was kinda hilarious how alike the AI sounds (aside from the lovely sound quality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwtVkPKx3RA

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Been waiting on that First Fragment album to come out. I'll have opinions in a couple days.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vargatron posted:

Been waiting on that First Fragment album to come out. I'll have opinions in a couple days.

Update: it good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Actual thoughts on the new First Fragment album:

Drums: Somebody keeps swapping out a death metal drummer for a jazz drummer every time there's a breakdown. Hope you like swing and triplet beats.

Vocals: They're there, but so are articles in Playboy. When the guitar/bass solos are listed on the lyrics sheet, you know who the band is catering too. Also, the lyrics are in French, but it's probably existential nonsense anyway.

Bass: Les Claypool was kidnapped and forced to listen to the discographies of Obscura, Beyond Creation, and a dozen other tech death metal bands and then record on this album. Still shocked that there's unison runs between bass and guitar at such high speed.

Guitar: The guitarists have elected to skip past Yngwie Malmsteen and ape JS Bach for riffs. It's mind blowing bordering on mind numbing but somehow each solo tradeoff feels faster and more intense. This is insane.

It's basically the perfect tech death metal if you have an unending thirst for neoclassical metal. Everybody else is probably going to hate it.

I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I like to read people pumped on an album even if I thought it was just pretty good so ty for the writeup.

Right now I'm alternating between 2021 releases and deathcore from bands that listened to too much ATG