Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Ideally you replace the original part, but yeah

They cost like $10, so not a question of cost lol. How hard is to replace it?

To be clear its a vent hose, not a duct. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I used that good good 3m tape for it on mine on either end, $17 for a lifetime supply

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How many days after I've informed a contractor that they left tools at my place do they become mine.

In other news I may soon become the owner of a DeWalt cordless vacuum with battery (but no charger). But I don't actually want it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

neither do they

my previous two shop vacs have been left behind by contractors at friends houses

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

How many days after I've informed a contractor that they left tools at my place do they become mine.

In other news I may soon become the owner of a DeWalt cordless vacuum with battery (but no charger). But I don't actually want it.

I would say 30 days, shorter if they confirm receipt of your email/text or whatever. I now own a nice new shovel.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat, I didn't wait a day before collecting all the extra screws and fasteners left behind in my garage!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It all balances out against times like mine where I loaned the cable installer my leatherman tool and he packed it up with all his other stuff.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I found a huge estwing framing hammer leaning against a tree in my yard about two months after I got a new roof. I will never have a good use for this thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ah, I'm simply taking a sail on the Great Material Continuum.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Procrastinated like 10 months to start this project but I finally finished installing my radon mitigation system this weekend. Besides cutting the holes in the side of the house none of it was particularly difficult, I am mostly just annoyed that it took me 8 trips to the store to complete everything, and I still have to go back again because the condensation bypass kit I bought is missing a part which I didn't notice until yesterday. :argh:

Everything in the basement photo is new besides the hole in the ground and the battery backup pump. I had to complete redo all the electrical because I found the dedicated circuit for the sump that I had added in 2020 was done in the laziest way possible. There was already a surface-mounted outlet there, so instead of actually adding a new receptacle, they cut all the insulation off the existing pieces of NM cable to make enough room to stuff another run down the same conduit and then just wire nutted them together, pulled the new cable and and then back stabbed an outlet. I pulled out those unused runs and installed them into a new box to give myself a couple more outlets in the basement.

Painted most of the piping so that it doesn't look too dumb, if I don't get the rest painted this week it will probably have to wait until spring.

Sunday afternoon vs this morning. A carbon test I had done in January came back at 7 pi/C.

Guess I did it right. :unsmith:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What's the best / most cost effective way to mow a 400 sqft yard? I own zero yard equipment, so here's a fun chance to buy some stuff!!

Its just grass surrounded by a fence.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For something that small your best bet is a reel mower. Design is as old as dirt, but they actually do a fantastic job of cutting grass. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Lawn-Mowers-Reel-Lawn-Mowers/N-5yc1vZc5av

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Alternatively just buy a robot lawn mower for a space that small

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Can you just mulch it? Not sure that little amount of turf is worth the upkeep. Or an alternative ground over like creeping Jenny or thyme.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

How difficult is it to ground a gas system? I don’t see any indication (clamps and ground wires) that our gas system is grounded from where the black iron pipes enter from the basement wall to where the 3 CSST lines disappear to their respective appliances.

From reading online/watching YouTube videos it seems pretty straightforward. Minimally,
put a clamp on the (sanded?) iron pipe after the meter, and run a 6 gauge copper wire from the clamp to the ground bar in the panel. Some videos suggested that it’s also good to connect a clamp to each of the CSST line nuts, and run the same ground wire through those clamps.

In theory this all seems straightforward, and like something I could handle. However, I’m not sure if there are steps/considerations that aren’t mentioned in the video like routing the ground wire past all of the other stuff like other wires/HVAC ducts, and actually routing it into the box and attaching to the ground bar (lots of research needed here since I’ve never done anything in the panel before).

Is this something that a homeowner could reasonably do, or should I hire a professional?

EPICAC fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 2, 2021

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

H110Hawk posted:

Don't go tankless unless you desperately want the space back. Don't go tankless ever if it's electric. Like for like normal old hot water heater, nothing fancy, should be like $2500 and half a days work for a plumber. Like, they have 20 of those suckers in the warehouse. In the before times you could possibly get it done for like $1500 with the cheapest effectively-zero warranty tank around. Is the old tank gone? If so, tell the person on the phone that. "Hey my water heater went out, I need a (gas|electric) X-gallon heater, the old tank is gone, when can you come by and install a name-brand replacement like Rheem?"

If you have a handy friend you can truly DIY this assuming you can lift the water heater into place.

Yeah, the first guy was throwing gently caress you prices at me when he quoted $5-6k for a basic water heater, even though he said he wanted the work and could start ASAP. :shrug:

I ended up getting a quote for $1700-ish installed for a new water heater (50 gallon Rheem), which popped up to $1800 when they had to install a cut-off valve in the gas line attached to it to bring it up to code. It's installed, all is good.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

EPICAC posted:

How difficult is it to ground a gas system? I don’t see any indication (clamps and ground wires) that our gas system is grounded from where the black iron pipes enter from the basement wall to where the 3 CSST lines disappear to their respective appliances.

From reading online/watching YouTube videos it seems pretty straightforward. Minimally,
put a clamp on the (sanded?) iron pipe after the meter, and run a 6 gauge copper wire from the clamp to the ground bar in the panel. Some videos suggested that it’s also good to connect a clamp to each of the CSST line nuts, and run the same ground wire through those clamps.

In theory this all seems straightforward, and like something I could handle. However, I’m not sure if there are steps/considerations that aren’t mentioned in the video like routing the ground wire past all of the other stuff like other wires/HVAC ducts, and actually routing it into the box and attaching to the ground bar (lots of research needed here since I’ve never done anything in the panel before).

Is this something that a homeowner could reasonably do, or should I hire a professional?

Afaik that's all there is to it. It's on my soon-to-do list. Shouldn't need to sand the pipe because as you tighten the clamp on the pipe the sharp edges on the clamp will dig into the pipe.

If your gas system is black pipe it's probably already functionally grounded through the grounded gas appliances, but you should still bond it properly.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Yeah, the first guy was throwing gently caress you prices at me when he quoted $5-6k for a basic water heater, even though he said he wanted the work and could start ASAP. :shrug:

I ended up getting a quote for $1700-ish installed for a new water heater (50 gallon Rheem), which popped up to $1800 when they had to install a cut-off valve in the gas line attached to it to bring it up to code. It's installed, all is good.

Well sure, he wants the work, if you'll pay him $5k for it!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Upgrade posted:

What's the best / most cost effective way to mow a 400 sqft yard? I own zero yard equipment, so here's a fun chance to buy some stuff!!

Its just grass surrounded by a fence.

Corded electric lawn mowers are really cheap, easier to cut than pushing a reel. Plus easier to sharpen their cutting blade for maintaining it.

Definitely go electric corded or battery if you want a nicer one. Gas mowers at least are terrible for small lawns.
Gas degrades, so you have to go to a gas station every year with a little Jerry can and you don't really need the power or longevity of a gas tank.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Great! Glad you got it done for not "I owe my bookie" prices.

Also corded electric mowers are great. It's only awkward the first time or two while you get used to where everything goes. Don't go too low on the cut or it will get all muddy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

H110Hawk posted:

Also corded electric mowers are great. It's only awkward the first time or two while you get used to where everything goes. Don't go too low on the cut or it will get all muddy.

Cordless are also pretty decent these days if you have a typical flat, suburban lawn. If you've got an acre of hillside out behind your house obviously they aren't for you, but they're great for what your average quarter-acre-lot suburbanite needs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EPICAC posted:

Grounding iron pipes is more of a Texas/Florida problem where everything is above ground and suspended by wood in a house with very low humidity due to air conditioning

If the pipe goes through an external wall in your basement I think you're fine, especially if they're iron

If it makes you nervous yeah 6' copper wire X depth will do it, you're making an electrical connection between the earth and the metal system is all; your local code will specify based on ground moisture and soil conditions. Someone in Phoenix AZ will need more grounding than someone who lives above a saltwater swamp

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SpartanIvy posted:

Afaik that's all there is to it. It's on my soon-to-do list. Shouldn't need to sand the pipe because as you tighten the clamp on the pipe the sharp edges on the clamp will dig into the pipe.

If your gas system is black pipe it's probably already functionally grounded through the grounded gas appliances, but you should still bond it properly.

Yup, did the same to ours where the black pipe goes into the water heater and runs next to the grounded water pipe. Super simple and electrician approved.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Upgrade posted:

They cost like $10, so not a question of cost lol. How hard is to replace it?

To be clear its a vent hose, not a duct. Sorry.

The hardest part is going to be finagling your dryer around to get access, the second hardest if your dryer vent is in an annoying location is going to be figuring out the best way to route that poo poo. The dryer vent on my wall is almost exactly centered with the back of my dryer, except it's also six inches higher than the vent on the dryer itself. The first vent hose I ordered ripped when I tried to make it handle those turns.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cordless are also pretty decent these days if you have a typical flat, suburban lawn. If you've got an acre of hillside out behind your house obviously they aren't for you, but they're great for what your average quarter-acre-lot suburbanite needs.

Yeah, this. My dad swears by his Kobalt battery mower. I don't recall if it's 40v or 80v, but he has a half-acre lot he does mostly with a ZTR rider, but he uses the Kobalt push mower for the ditch and section with a steep hill. He's had a couple back surgeries (don't be a diesel mechanic, kids!) and loves how light/effortless it is to wrestle around. He's also not the type to suffer with a poor result for the sake of convenience, so I suspect it must be Actually Good, to boot.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I exclusively own EGO electric battery-powered lawn tools and they all kick rear end. Sold at Lowes now.

Lawn Mower: Double-Battery version easily clears .75acre even if it’s overgrown and rained yesterday

String trimmer: whips rear end

Snowblower: easily clears moderate (to a Minnesotan) snow. Doesn’t mulch hard-packed end-of-driveway plow detritus, but that’s expected. My parents have a 30” 250cc gas-powered motherfucker that can bore a hole through glaciers, and — having used both — mine is 95% as useful and much better on like every other metric. It is More Fun to use the gas tool, though.

I’ll get a leaf blower at some point.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got an Ego mower, just picked up the leaf blower, and am going to get the single stage snow blower here in a week or so. Pro-tip for the Ego push or self-propelled mowers: mine is currently in for warranty repair because some part of the wiring harness in the handles is hosed and the motor won't start unless you install a jumper to bypass all the safety switches. Spent a while chatting with the guy at the shop who told me 90% of the issues they see with the mowers is due to the wiring in the handle section failing, mostly because of the handles being repeatedly folded up and then extended again. They don't even bother attempting to find the problem area anymore, they get an entire new handle assembly with wiring already installed and replace the whole thing in about 15min. He recommended NOT folding up the handles when you're done using it, if possible.

Also if my mower had not been under warranty, I could have fixed my problem doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZgGmjFNqg

which essentially bypasses all the safety features, so the repair guys wouldn't do it, but they said I could easily DIY if in the future if I happen to have the same issue someday down the line when I'm no longer under warranty.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DNK posted:

Snowblower: easily clears moderate (to a Minnesotan) snow. Doesn’t mulch hard-packed end-of-driveway plow detritus, but that’s expected. My parents have a 30” 250cc gas-powered motherfucker that can bore a hole through glaciers, and — having used both — mine is 95% as useful and much better on like every other metric. It is More Fun to use the gas tool, though.

My buddy who lives on Lake Superior up in the UP of Michigan has one of these bad motherfuckers: https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equipment/snow-products/snow-blowers/professional/professional-mountaineering-32-hydro-efi-rapidtrak. It gazes upon a hardpacked snowbank and sneers with derision. So much fun.

My little 21" electric snow blower pales in comparison, but we also have a lot less to deal with in the urban environment and I don't have to deal with gas engine maintenance.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I have a Honda gas mower because I bought right before electric mowers became feasible for my size lawn (~4,800 sq ft).

If I were buying today, I'd probably buy a Kobalt. They're supposed to be decent electric mowers, last I checked, and that's part of why I invested in their 80v system for my blower and string trimmer. Maybe one day I'll move to electric mower, we'll see.

IMO for 400 sq ft, even an electric mower is probably overkill.

That said, already have a bad battery. Got 2, and after 2 seasons 1 is already refusing to charge. Not sure if that's good or not, but they want $160 for a new one. Considering they discount tools by $100 if you get them without the battery, sounds like it might be time to buy a new tool...

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

throwing my hat in for ego lawn tools as well. shout out to chad wolf for my badass leafblower.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had a corded uh... Half horsepower electric lawn mower growing up. I think my dad got it at good will fit $25 in the 80s. It was dead reliable (much to my disappointment)

I don't really understand the value the battery model makes unless you have significant acreage and no 120v drops in which case the riding lawnmower comes into play

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You don't understand why people would prefer not mowing with a cord hanging off the mower? I did it for several years, corded mowers suck rear end. I have a corded edge trimmer and I hate using the drat thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Your first battery tool is going to be more expensive than an equivalent corded option (but honestly not by much, when you consider the fancy extension cord you'll need) but once you've got that battery and charger you're in the system and you can buy tools without batteries that will use your existing batteries and be fairly equivalent cost-wise to a plug-in model. That's why people talk about brands so much, because when you buy a battery tool you're buying into that ecosystem, so you sort of have to consider the entire ecosystem and not just the one tool you'll be buying.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Enos Cabell posted:

You don't understand why people would prefer not mowing with a cord hanging off the mower? I did it for several years, corded mowers suck rear end. I have a corded edge trimmer and I hate using the drat thing.

We have a corded hedge trimmer and a corded edger. They're not very good and I hate using them, even though they only get used a few times a year.

I would never, ever mow my lawn with a corded mower.

MAYBE a 400 sq ft lawn I could deal with... but corded lawn tools are a major pain in the rear end, and mowing is going to be the worst second to maybe using a corded tool on a ladder.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I abhor dealing with gas powered lawn equipment. I mowed my yard for 5 years with a 19" black and decker corded mower. It worked great, and it's still in my garage now just in case I ever need it for something. I also had a corded trimmer and corded blower. Those worked really great as well. I was able to cover my normal sized lot with a 100ft cord no problem. 3 years ago I bought the Snapper branded 60V (made by greenworks) stuff from Walmart on deep clearance. The biggest difference was I was faster mowing with the battery because I wasn't dealing with the cord. Both mowers do a good job. I bought the matching cordless trimmer and blower as well, and those work just as well as the corded versions.

I started paying a service to handle my yard 2 years ago though, so now it all just sits in my garage.

For a small 400sq foot spot, I'd definitely just grab an inexpensive corded mower. It's going to take like 5 minutes to mow that little patch of grass. No sense in dealing with gas or batteries for that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
While I have mowed my own yard for years and had to deal with a tad over an acre along with an dad who had OCD about yard poo poo, I got a guy that mows my yard now for $35 (takes less than an hour). I'm not at all opposed to doing the work but this is work I do not miss, including dealing with the equipment.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

DNK posted:

I exclusively own EGO electric battery-powered lawn tools and they all kick rear end. Sold at Lowes now.

Lawn Mower: Double-Battery version easily clears .75acre even if it’s overgrown and rained yesterday

String trimmer: whips rear end

I’ll get a leaf blower at some point.

Which model ego snowblower do you have, I’m ready to buy but not sure which model.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Since my washer/dryer drain pump died, I ordered an OEM unit and it surprisingly should be here this evening. So last night I decided to get the thing out of the closet it lives in. No easy task. It weighs a good amount and the opening is exactly as wide as the unit itself.

For added difficulty, there's an iron gas pipe that sticks up a few inches in front making an easy pull out impossible. I would have to go up and over. I put down some old yoga mats and then 3/4 plywood to protect the floors and used my floor jack.

To understand why it's there, the bathroom to the right used to be a half bath with laundry and water heater. The laundry machine was rotated 90° to the right so you could access the laundry from the bathroom. Previous owner made it a full bath with tub, put the water heater in the garage, and walled off the laundry into the small closet it currently sits. Well, 24 inches wide means you can't get a full size machine in there.

I'm starting to uncover more previous owner fuckery. The tennis ball. Guessing this was a way to quiet a washing machine? No idea but it's loving in there. It has to be liquid nailed down because I couldn't remove it by hand sand in scared to see what happens when I do. Also the flooring. Holy gently caress. That will get dealt with eventually. This guy did everything so sloppy and lazy. Thankfully he contracted out the big stuff.

The dryer vent hose for when there was a traditional dryer. Hmm. Let's just fill the void in the wall with an old shirt. Perfect.

Eventually I got it out. What a pain. I should have it fixed today. I might scrape up the old flooring and clean the subfloor and at the very least put in a new piece of linoleum or something.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

We have a corded hedge trimmer and a corded edger. They're not very good and I hate using them, even though they only get used a few times a year.

MAYBE a 400 sq ft lawn I could deal with... but corded lawn tools are a major pain in the rear end, and mowing is going to be the worst second to maybe using a corded tool on a ladder.

Corded snowblowers are equally terrible. That's definitely one area where gas is still the king by far.

I'm going with floor drain he "filled in" with the tennis ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

DaveSauce posted:

Our grass area is *maybe* 60 square feet, so we're planning on starting out with a corded trimmer. We're going to borrow our friends' to try it out. And yes, that's six zero, not a typo. Small Seattle yard and half of it has pebbles and stone pavers.